Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928564 times)

shakalnokturn and 121 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48800 on: February 04, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
Agreed, its really going south with the rudder jammed up, need some 3 in One oil to fix it it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48801 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:39 am »
sounds to me like y'all have entirely too much government

I don't know what "y'all" means.

The pronouns "I" and "we" are singular and plural forms, respectively. However, "you" can refer to either singular or plural. In some regions of the US, an explicit plural form of "you" is used for clarity (or style). "Y'all," a contraction of "you" and "all" is one such plural form of "you" that is used more in the South than other regions.

Example: When you met up with them, what did y'all decide to do for fun?

"Y'all" makes it clearer that the decision was made by the group, not the individual who met with them.

Unless you are in Texas where "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all".
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48802 on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:16 am »
As we were saying before the B-word barged into our friendly little TEA gathering...

This morning I received the replacement solder-in fuses from RS, and got one of my freebie Agilent 33120A generators going again! Still waiting for the output device to arrive to mend the other one. They have cleaned up nicely, but WHY do people stick indelible stickers across the display window when they find a fault? Electrolube SWA 2000 cleaned most of it up, with a careful touch of IPA needed for what looked like a bit of transformer tape (!) some vandal had applied. The rubber bumpers cleaned up OK: start with warm water & wash-up liquid, then finish off in the dishwasher at 65˚C. Seems to 'relax' them back to the original shape if the have sustained minor damage as well.

Interestingly, the fuse is in series with the generator output, after the attenuator, and adds about 1.2 ohms resistance (cold). So the generator output impedance is not exactly as specified, but 51.2 ohms. An uncharacteristic slip-up on HP's part there!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48803 on: February 04, 2020, 10:10:00 am »
I was looking for binding post on Taobao (Chinese site). The title of this listing got my attention. Not sure if it's a problem with google translate or Taobao search engine. A mix of both ? :-DD

She's skinny compared to a large portion of the American population. Send her to McDonald's.  ::) ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48804 on: February 04, 2020, 10:12:45 am »
It looks like shipments from the UK to Sweden will be saved from the Postnord ransom machine for a while.

As tggzzz correctly predicted, the trouble won't start until the end of 2020. Of course, if the UK government comes to their senses and drops the current attitude, there may be an agreement in place before then, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48805 on: February 04, 2020, 10:21:03 am »
Somewhere in the near future the older conservatives will have died out thus releaving the population from the burden they laid on the nation.
The education system has already changed at f.e. Oxford level. The current leading intelligence will soon be obsolete.

Behind chaos there is order. You only have to see it and that only occurs when you got it.
International standards relieve us from myopic routes, thus adding to the chaos.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48806 on: February 04, 2020, 10:45:45 am »

Verdammt Deutsch Mammutwörter!

lesson2: shifting.

Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach.

Means "When flies fly behind flies flies flies flies after." is that correct?

Not quite, but 90% there: "When flies fly behind flies, flies fly after flies."

McBryce.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48807 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:52 am »
Behind chaos there is order. You only have to see it and that only occurs when you got it.
International standards relieve us from myopic routes, thus adding to the chaos.

May I kindly point you to my footer?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48808 on: February 04, 2020, 11:01:18 am »

Something tells me that Terry Pratchett would not have spelled organised with the letter z.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48809 on: February 04, 2020, 11:04:49 am »

Something tells me that Terry Pratchett would not have spelled organised with the letter z.

Really? hmmm
I've copied from here:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/18543-chaos-is-found-in-greatest-abundance-wherever-order-is-being

The "z" confused me all the time but since my english is far away from being good, I took it as it is.

Edit:
Cambridge is agreeing with the "z":
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized-chaos
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:07:17 am by BU508A »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48810 on: February 04, 2020, 11:12:24 am »

The "z" confused me all the time but since my english is far away from being good, I took it as it is.

Edit:
Cambridge is agreeing with the "z":
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized-chaos

From what I've heard on our Discord conversations your spoken English far exceeds many who claim it as their first language.   :-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48811 on: February 04, 2020, 11:25:12 am »

But he probably would have written "spelt" rather than "spelled" too?  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48812 on: February 04, 2020, 11:32:17 am »
Agreed, its really going south with the rudder jammed up, need some 3 in One oil to fix it it  :-DD

At a certain point in Internet history that would have been the cue for a well disguised and placed goatse or rickroll the break the momentum.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48813 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:44 pm »
I like Spelt it makes good bread  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48814 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:51 pm »

Nope, checked the ebook version of "Interesting Times" and we have:

Quote from: Interesting Times, Terry Pratchett
According to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle, chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

It's a common misconception that where there is a z/s spelling choice that the z is American spelling and the s English spelling. More often than not the z spelling was the preferred English spelling. However, that misconception means that the English spellings are changing as more and more people opt for the s version.

We'd be in a much better place if people had realised that the man who called his dictionary a "speller" perhaps wasn't the best example to follow. :P  Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language predates Webster's efforts, wasn't predicated on arbitrarily changing the spelling of English, and has the great advantage of containing humour:

Quote from: A Dictionary of the English Language
lexicographer: A harmless drudge.

oats: A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, mnementh, grizewald

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48815 on: February 04, 2020, 12:51:48 pm »

We'd be in a much better place if people had realised that the man who called his dictionary a "speller" perhaps wasn't the best example to follow. :P  Johnson's A Dictionary of the English Language predates Webster's efforts, wasn't predicated on arbitrarily changing the spelling of English, and has the great advantage of containing humour:

oats: A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48816 on: February 04, 2020, 12:55:05 pm »

It's a common misconception that where there is a z/s spelling choice that the z is American spelling and the s English spelling. More often than not the z spelling was the preferred English spelling. However, that misconception means that the English spellings are changing as more and more people opt for the s version.

I was taught that the word "surprize" was spelled with a "z" but seems it has migrated to "surprise" with an "s" over the years.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48817 on: February 04, 2020, 12:58:58 pm »

I was taught that the word "surprize" was spelled with a "z" but seems it has migrated to "surprise" with an "s" over the years.

In school I was taught to write "Überraschung" as "surprise", same as in french "la surprise" :)

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48818 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:17 pm »
Given the current state of affairs around the good Earth a better, more universal, translation for "surprise" should be "oh shit".  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48819 on: February 04, 2020, 01:10:32 pm »
To quote my immediate colleague using Visual Studio this morning. He was presented with the usual crash dialog box. That sort of parallels everything these days: "Shitting fuckity bollocks it!"

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48820 on: February 04, 2020, 01:15:07 pm »
"fuckity" ?  :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48821 on: February 04, 2020, 01:19:43 pm »
Fuckity is used quite regularly here. Either as a connective / nonce word as above or as an adjective i.e. "that server is fuckity - lets reboot it". Might be a London thing. I haven't heard it outside of London yet.

Edit: bored waiting for compilers today so I bought a nice monitor arm so I can get as much surface on the desk as possible for projects etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:57:30 pm by bd139 »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48822 on: February 04, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »
Fuckity is used quite regularly here. Either as a connective / nonce word as above or as an adjective i.e. "that server is fuckity - lets reboot it". Might be a London thing. I haven't heard it outside of London yet.

Edit: bored waiting for compilers today so I bought a nice monitor arm so I can get as much surface on the desk as possible for projects etc.

Well, now you've brought it to Australia (and an international forum)!   :-DD

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48823 on: February 04, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
the Canadians have been using "fucky" for some time...trailer park boys thing
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #48824 on: February 04, 2020, 02:34:32 pm »
If you guys could understand my language, there is soo much freedom of choice in italian cussing...
Ah... the hands are very important too to get the concept properly explanied....

I couldn't find anything comparable on this planet.

PS: You should see the germans in my office when I take off in my language...
PS: Look in you tube "Germano Mosconi", he was from my region. A remarkable champion.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:53:14 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf