Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17742790 times)

sorenkir and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48725 on: February 03, 2020, 02:02:51 pm »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48726 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:28 pm »
You mean: Like asking a bunch of TEA members, if they are interested in buying this palette full of test gear for USD 50.-  :o  :-DD

I'd be saved by the shipping costs, in that circumstance...

I see so much nice gear from Fluke and Keithley etc at nice prices, then I look at the shipping costs from the US and I go away and cry inside a little...

You just take a van across the Channel to pick it up!  (assuming this is permissible in the new free Britain of course)

In 2021 there will be extra car insurance, customs duty, and a lot more red tape paperwork. Didn't see that on the side of a bus.

Don't worry - I'm sure that Madge, 85, in Chipping Norton, knew what she was doing when she voted leave!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48727 on: February 03, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »
Hope the bitch breaks a hip  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48728 on: February 03, 2020, 02:36:39 pm »

2 Zweikanalverstärkereinschübe Tektronix 7A18;

Verdammt Deutsch Mammutwörter!

C'mon Germany, would a few spaces really hurt?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48729 on: February 03, 2020, 02:43:50 pm »

"Verdammte deutsche Mammutwörter!"

:D

Two channel amplifier plug-in modules :)

Edit:

Rhabarberbarbara (with english transcription/translation):

https://www.facebook.com/AuthenticGermanLearning/posts/545203162332862/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:56:02 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48730 on: February 03, 2020, 02:52:23 pm »
My internal tokenizer is the biggest problem I have with German. I tokenize it like this:

Zweik anal verstärkerein schübe

Anal just pops right out!  :-DD

Edit: btw today's word of fail: "devops". Definition: giving incompetent software developers control over infrastructure they don't understand to save coin and look trendy. Example: "What's a level 2 switch?" "that's layer 2" "what's that?" "it's like a router - you know the OSI model right?" "what's that" :palm: (this is the guy who has the most customised PS1 I have ever seen)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:55:48 pm by bd139 »

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48731 on: February 03, 2020, 03:02:49 pm »
My internal tokenizer is the biggest problem I have with German. I tokenize it like this:

Edit: btw today's word of fail: "devops". Definition: giving incompetent software developers control over infrastructure they don't understand to save coin and look trendy. Example: "What's a level 2 switch?" "that's layer 2" "what's that?" "it's like a router - you know the OSI model right?" "what's that" :palm: (this is the guy who has the most customised PS1 I have ever seen)

It is similar to my "internal tokenizer". My advantage is: it is much higher trained for the patterns of german words. :) That's why, when Germans reading such huge words (known as "compounds" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_(linguistics) ), they easily spot the correct words in the compund and grasp their meaning. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #48732 on: February 03, 2020, 03:16:47 pm »

To save space and still keep the principle, I recommend multicapitalization.

ZweiKanalVerstärkerEinschübe would be perfect to parse.  8)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #48733 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »

It is similar to my "internal tokenizer". My advantage is: it is much higher trained for the patterns of german words. :) That's why, when Germans reading such huge words (known as "compounds" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_(linguistics) ), they easily spot the correct words in the compund and grasp their meaning. :)

Sometimes it's just fun to tokenize such compounds wrong intentionally, and also pronounce them that wrong way giving the word a different or non-understandable meaning ;) E.g. Schulzen-trum instead of Schul-zentrum or Urin-sekt instead of Ur-insekt ...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:21:39 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #48734 on: February 03, 2020, 03:20:09 pm »

Where's the :puke: smiley?
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48735 on: February 03, 2020, 03:34:54 pm »
Two channel amplifier plug-in modules :)

Oh I'd got there in the end, it just took too long.

Like BD139, my tokenizer is broken when it comes to German compound words. For me it's worse, because knowing some German some simple words will leap out when they're not there - so I saw rein popping out between verstärker and einschübe, probably because it's also an English word but my brain knew I was supposed to be in German so I mentally heard the German rein (pure/unmixed/neat) not the English rein (something for controlling horses, homophone of 'rain'). I'll spot pure English words too which also puts the breaks in the wrong places to spot the German word breaks. It does me 'ead in, it does.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48736 on: February 03, 2020, 03:42:26 pm »

Here!

Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48737 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:43 pm »

Sometimes it's just fun to tokenize such compounds wrong intentionally, and also pronounce them that wrong way giving the word a different or non-understandable meaning ;) E.g. Schulzen-trum instead of Schul-zentrum or Urin-sekt instead of Ur-insekt ...

Of course, there's a xkcd for that...  :-DD

This one...?     Page 1140: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/28475/  >:D

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble* :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:46:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48738 on: February 03, 2020, 03:45:03 pm »

You must have serious issues with words like Analyse then? Your tokeniser comes up with "someone with eyes up their ass"?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48739 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:00 pm »

ANALYZE...! ANALYZE...!!!    >:D

mnem
*faulty... must... sterilize....*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48740 on: February 03, 2020, 04:00:12 pm »

Having the verb at the end complicates simultaneous translation, hence the apocryphal wail "Professor, the verb, please!". Human ability to use RPN doesn't scale beytond 4 stack levels :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48741 on: February 03, 2020, 04:05:07 pm »

English has similar games, e.g. in-VALid vs INval-id.

For computer word processing word splitting, a standard test used to be "therapist"; "the-rapist" was not acceptable :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48742 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:06 pm »
Born in 1950.
An old fart.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48743 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:22 pm »

Ah yes. Agile, Continuous Irritation and stuff like that

Glad to have escaped!

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48744 on: February 03, 2020, 04:12:24 pm »

English has similar games, e.g. in-VALid vs INval-id.

For computer word processing word splitting, a standard test used to be "therapist"; "the-rapist" was not acceptable :)

English spelling is tricky at first. It can be understood though, through thorough thought.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48745 on: February 03, 2020, 04:12:53 pm »
father ----> fat-her

So, to be a father, the guy will have to fat her.  ::)

(sorry... I tend to stretch the rope sometimes. I'm afflicted with excessive imagination.)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48746 on: February 03, 2020, 04:15:01 pm »
English has similar games, e.g. in-VALid vs INval-id.  For computer word processing word splitting, a standard test used to be "therapist"; "the-rapist" was not acceptable :) 

Of course, it's in there.

mnem
*cue yakkety-sax music*

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48747 on: February 03, 2020, 04:17:47 pm »
New toy just arrived (despite the best endeavours of UPS) - Power Designs 2005A. It's not that the other 8 1/2 power supplies I have here are in some way inadequate, it's just being able to dial in a voltage and get to within a millivolt or so is cool TEA!

Must do something about the infuriatingly buzzy step-down transformer that came with it, though.

The following users thanked this post: alextwin007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48748 on: February 03, 2020, 04:54:57 pm »
Look at this. Was in Michigan. You don't how bad I wanted to make a road trip but realized....where would I put it all??  :o :-DD

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/863047330818573/ 
Its sold now, so did you get it after all?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48749 on: February 03, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »
@Zucca Ender FTW!

Ok looks like I didn't blow up the NanoVNA. The SMA connector I was using had a Chinesium fracture. I ran the cal cycle on the NanoVNA and it was fine. Phew!

Well the RF amp is well and truly buggered. It's only a small signal front end amplifier but the damn thing doesn't work. It worked perfectly in LTspice and on the NanoVNA for about 2 mintues. One min it's pulling 20mA, next minute 8mA and the thing is toast. I have replaced every part and it's still damn pulling 8mA. I built the entire amp again with new parts and it's pulling 8mA fine but only 3dB of gain not 15dB. Can't figure it out. I tried tuning it with a receiver to see if it's oscillating - nothing. Probing it with scope / finger - nothing.  >:(

It actually forward biases an LED successfully by 0.8V by the looks which is a big WTF. Unless it's oscillating at 400MHz+ or something which a PN2222A shouldn't be able to do.

Are you sure it's a PN2222A?  Just sayin'

* worsthorse wanders out of range.

Yeah that batch was legit from RS. I woke up this morning and have come to the conclusion the design sucks so I’m going to switch it out for a W7ZOI design instead.

Okay. The issues you described puzzled me, especially the "it is drawing power but not oscillating or doing anything else" bit.  When I run into that, it is almost always because some active component isn't what I think it is.  Which W7ZOI design are you going to use?
specialization is for insects.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf