Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17746445 times)

xrunner and 81 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48600 on: February 01, 2020, 10:49:56 pm »
Putting the B channel to the left of the A channel is suitably odd.

What with driving on the other side of the road, pulling faders DOWN to increase gain, having "4" on a meter scale indicate 0dB, enumerating mixing desk channels right to left, and rage-quitting the most prosperous loose federation of countries on the earth, having "B" left of "A" is just keeping in style of consistent back-asswards behaviour.

:-DD

And don't get me started about the habit of measuring people in "stone".

Then there's the difference between how household light switches work. In Sweden, the light goes on when the switch is up, in the UK when it's down.

Putting the B channel first is particularly perverse though.

Yeah, light/power switches. I was surprised the first time I experienced that. Ah, the joys of travel (and realizing that so many things just happen to be done the opposite way all over the place).

A more recent TEA experience along those lines: The Rigol DG800/900 has the rocker power switch oriented with "on" in the down position. I haven't seen this on Rigol gear before and thought maybe it was destined for UK distribution or something. Even the one I got here in the US has the same orientation.

So, I figured I would just pull the switch out of the front panel far enough to flip it over and then push it back in. Easy, right? That's when I discovered that doing so prevents the switch from going back in straight. The bloody wires run into the side screw that affixes the front panel! :palm: Great going on the industrial design, Rigol! :horse:

You've probably seen why RIGOL created the DG2000 series with *exactly* the same specs as the Klingon ugly DG800/900 stuff that cannot even be stapled on your desk. Suprise: The DG2000 has exactly the same measures and case outline than the other classic RIGOL small form factor instruments (DG,DSG,DP,...).

The DG800/900s are so weirdly built that not even a coffee mug can be safely placed on top of them.
To cure this deficiency, I propose a special RIGOL DG cup to be sold as an accessory.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48601 on: February 01, 2020, 11:25:18 pm »
Then there's the difference between how household light switches work. In Sweden, the light goes on when the switch is up, in the UK when it's down.

Putting the B channel first is particularly perverse though.

Yeah, light/power switches. I was surprised the first time I experienced that. Ah, the joys of travel (and realizing that so many things just happen to be done the opposite way all over the place).

A more recent TEA experience along those lines: The Rigol DG800/900 has the rocker power switch oriented with "on" in the down position. I haven't seen this on Rigol gear before and thought maybe it was destined for UK distribution or something. Even the one I got here in the US has the same orientation.

So, I figured I would just pull the switch out of the front panel far enough to flip it over and then push it back in. Easy, right? That's when I discovered that doing so prevents the switch from going back in straight. The bloody wires run into the side screw that affixes the front panel! :palm: Great going on the industrial design, Rigol! :horse:

I'm also annoyed by the power switch on my DG831  |O

I'm glad we got these at the Jammy GitTM prices we did. I would've been truly annoyed by its "features" had I paid regular price.

Yes, for the price we paid, I have no complain  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48602 on: February 02, 2020, 12:23:30 am »
Ha ha.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48603 on: February 02, 2020, 12:27:46 am »
Ha ha.  :P :-DD
Fail, we use the GBP £ not the Euro in UK, Ireland however does  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48604 on: February 02, 2020, 12:31:26 am »
At least you hope the pound will retain some value while this Cfuk marches on ::) Hope those 'allegedly' in charge can now get the International deals/treaties etc done in time before the population at large gets hit to badly by the fallout.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48605 on: February 02, 2020, 01:21:10 am »
At least you hope the pound will retain some value while this Cfuk marches on ::) Hope those 'allegedly' in charge can now get the International deals/treaties etc done in time before the population at large gets hit to badly by the fallout.
Not to optimistic on that TBH, I think that they want to turn the clock backwards by a few decades to when the workers were scared to say boo to a goose and would work for slightly more than a bowl of rice a day.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #48606 on: February 02, 2020, 07:26:14 am »
Holy hell, a few days away and 20 pages behind !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48607 on: February 02, 2020, 08:05:09 am »
In Other News...

I've mostly recovered from the creeping crud that's been kicking my arse for 2 weeks; so finally finished with the Aorus Waterforce 2080 Super (that's a mouthfull!) upgrade. Not 100% pleased with the way the new electrical plumbing worked out, but was able to camouflage most of the ugly. Added a little dwagon style to the CPU water pump while I was at it.  ;D After cooking with Furmark for 1.5 hours at ~148FPS, GPU running nice & cool at ~59°C & CPU ~47°C. :-+

Once I get the hang of the Nvidia OC app and how to squeeze the most out of it and the Ryzen7 OC dashboard, I'll give it another go. Very curious to see TimeSpy with it too.

A'aight... time for this widdle dwagon to go lie down before I fall down.  :o

mnem
 :=\
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:07:00 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48608 on: February 02, 2020, 09:10:05 am »
Nice job. That’s making me want to swap my power supply out for a modular one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48609 on: February 02, 2020, 01:05:24 pm »
Not to optimistic on that TBH, I think that they want to turn the clock backwards by a few decades to when the workers were scared to say boo to a goose and would work for slightly more than a bowl of rice a day.

I'm all in favour of a weak pound.

SEK-GBP exchange rate
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48610 on: February 02, 2020, 01:23:57 pm »
Just glad that someone is seeing some benefit from our folly.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48611 on: February 02, 2020, 01:28:44 pm »
Nice job. That’s making me want to swap my power supply out for a modular one  :-DD
Yep, I'm glad that I swapped over to modular supplies last time I rebuilt mine. Not that I wanted to showcase mine at all, but it just makes installation so much easier and it does aid smoother airflow because you have just the cables you require and no more. I have not installed any LEDs in mine at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48612 on: February 02, 2020, 01:32:50 pm »
In Other News...

I've mostly recovered from the creeping crud that's been kicking my arse for 2 weeks; so finally finished with the Aorus Waterforce 2080 Super (that's a mouthfull!) upgrade. Not 100% pleased with the way the new electrical plumbing worked out, but was able to camouflage most of the ugly. Added a little dwagon style to the CPU water pump while I was at it.  ;D After cooking with Furmark for 1.5 hours at ~148FPS, GPU running nice & cool at ~59°C & CPU ~47°C. :-+

Once I get the hang of the Nvidia OC app and how to squeeze the most out of it and the Ryzen7 OC dashboard, I'll give it another go. Very curious to see TimeSpy with it too.

A'aight... time for this widdle dwagon to go lie down before I fall down.  :o

mnem
 :=\
Nice but here is one mistake that you don't want to make, you'll never guess what the problem is here, but it is bling related.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48613 on: February 02, 2020, 01:39:46 pm »

Where to next?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48614 on: February 02, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »
The political situation will turn it into a positive feedback loop which will shake the rates violently all over the place in some form of harmonic oscillation. I suggest riding these with a friendly currency trader until capitalism explodes in a ball of flames, causing a grand reset and world war 4 breaks out.

Markets favour dead trump and dead murdoch so we can also sit and hope.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #48615 on: February 02, 2020, 01:56:33 pm »
Yep, I'm glad that I swapped over to modular supplies last time I rebuilt mine. Not that I wanted to showcase mine at all, but it just makes installation so much easier and it does aid smoother airflow because you have just the cables you require and no more. I have not installed any LEDs in mine at all.
Until you have a decked out system and need all the cables anyway.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48616 on: February 02, 2020, 02:14:15 pm »
Until you have a decked out system and need all the cables anyway.  :-DD
The only thing I can add to mine now is more internal drives, all the external bays are occupied already  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48617 on: February 02, 2020, 02:50:18 pm »
The political situation will turn it into a positive feedback loop which will shake the rates violently all over the place in some form of harmonic oscillation. I suggest riding these with a friendly currency trader

Gold under the bed is good, in a metal box to contain the melted gold if the house burns down. If in Sovereigns or Britannias then there cannot be any UK CGT to pay :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48618 on: February 02, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »
Current exchange is $1.32 USD. That is cheap! :)  I remember rates of $1.65 USD - $1.85 USD.

Now we certainly have our little issues here  :o :wtf: and the swamp in DC needs a random nuke to fix things up :-/O but sorry to say you Brits are looking pretty dull lately. Let's see...

Brexit done....I wish you guys good luck. I have no clue as to the ramifications.

Megxit done....You tossed out the mixed race Yank to keep the royal blood line "pure".

What's next? Close the Chunnel and war with France? You just might win that one.  :P :P :-DD 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:09:59 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48619 on: February 02, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48620 on: February 02, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »
LMAO!  :-DD :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48621 on: February 02, 2020, 03:23:35 pm »
Current exchange is $1.32 USD. That is cheap! :)  I remember rates of $1.65 USD - $1.85 USD.

I remember 1 penny == 1 cent, i.e. £1=$2.40.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48622 on: February 02, 2020, 03:35:58 pm »
My wife gets me...

...and she gets me weird things. That fit in perfectly with MY weird.   >:D

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48623 on: February 02, 2020, 03:45:04 pm »
That looks pretty tasty.

This is what I just made and ate. Got so much beef left I don't know what to do with it now

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48624 on: February 02, 2020, 03:48:53 pm »
That looks pretty tasty.

This is what I just made and ate. Got so much beef left I don't know what to do with it now

Only Britain knows how to do a proper Sunday roast.  I always head for the nearest carvery every time I visit!

Roast beef makes fantastic sandwich filler, with some salt, pepper, mustard...  caveman style.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf