Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17748269 times)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48400 on: January 31, 2020, 12:08:34 am »
I've seen that, however the supplier I was referring to is Reichelt. I suppose it's just one more reason not to use Reichelt any more as they have been steadily going down hill for several years now anyway.

McBryce.

Ah, I suspected that you've meant Reichelt but wasn't 100% sure. I saw that Reichelt has kicked out all leaded solder and I will stock this year lots of my most-liked solder, that's for sure.
But I'm not sure what you are meaning regarding Reichelt is going more and more down-hill over the past years. Have you any examples or stories you'd like to share with us?
Reichelt has never left the Marianas trench, so it can't go downhill for them. One did not buy there even 20 years ago.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48401 on: January 31, 2020, 12:11:06 am »

how many other obvious things have i missed in my life?

wait!  girls have boobs!  that's how you spot them!   damn!

Secure cornerstones of bygone times. Always careful out there!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48402 on: January 31, 2020, 12:31:36 am »
In other news,

Bought my new AoE 3rd Edition update edition for 36,41€
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/uk-jan-2020-amazon-has-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition-for-23-50/msg2891168/#msg2891168

Sold my almost new AoE 3rd Edition first edition for 36,95€

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Let it beee.... let is bee ... let is bee, oh let is beeeee
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh
I still don't see what everyone finds in a book that was started, IMO, at best as a copy of established works with a bit of loose talk thrown in. Need more practical that Tietze/Schenk? Get yourself the big Nührmann (Das grosse Werkbuch while there are copies (3- or 4 volume edition).
And I could give a loong list of works that I consider indispensable. AoE is not among them.

BTW, EE is a science, not an art.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48403 on: January 31, 2020, 12:35:45 am »
BTW, I found and bought a Dodo - in the guise of a multimeter.

See here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg2894156/#msg2894156

The controls hint at a rather bizarre functionality.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #48404 on: January 31, 2020, 12:52:40 am »
In other news,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/uk-jan-2020-amazon-has-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition-for-23-50/msg2891168/#msg2891168

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh
I still don't see what everyone finds in a book that was started, IMO, at best as a copy of established works with a bit of loose talk thrown in. Need more practical that Tietze/Schenk? Get yourself the big Nührmann (Das grosse Werkbuch while there are copies (3- or 4 volume edition).
And I could give a loong list of works that I consider indispensable. AoE is not among them.

Says who ? Proof ! I would say its a rather obscure art looking for some scientific justification. :) Just look at the X-Chapters.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #48405 on: January 31, 2020, 01:06:27 am »
In other news,

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh

AoE is a great practical reference. Not such a good book to learn from. If you need deep theoretical treatments, you are better off finding focused books on the topic you're interested in. But AoE is perfect to keep around as a reference.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #48406 on: January 31, 2020, 01:31:30 am »
UP is on, the rest of you are dumb.  >:D :-DD

Still asleep and the coffee ain't working.  :o

My grandmothers house had these light switches... So which way is on then? :)

McBryce.

I grew up with these.  You can still buy them.  I wonder if Mrs. GreyWoolfe would let me add some of these.
918094-0
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48407 on: January 31, 2020, 01:33:52 am »
In other news,

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh

oh man, this is definitely a two  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  assertion.

might as well jump in with both feet.    >:D

engineering is grounded in science -- the practice of generating and testing theories about the nature of reality -- but it is not science, rather it is the practice of expressing, in physical (and sometimes useful) form the results of the scientific process.

what many people seem to mean when they say engineering is a science is that it requires precision, accuracy, predictability, and repeatability. all of this is true but these are the characteristics of science, particularly. there is a parallel notion that calling it an art means that lacks these qualities or is somehow mysterious.

* worsthorse wanders off to find his flame-proof suit...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:44:32 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48408 on: January 31, 2020, 01:36:15 am »

I grew up with these.  You can still buy them.  I wonder if Mrs. GreyWoolfe would let me add some of these.
(Attachment Link)

Every switch in my house looks like that. I find the sound that occurs during use to be quite satisfying. ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48409 on: January 31, 2020, 02:09:24 am »
In other news,

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh

engineering is grounded in science -- the practice of generating and testing theories about the nature of reality -- but it is not science, rather it is the practice of expressing, in physical (and sometimes useful) form the results of the scientific process.

what many people seem to mean when they say engineering is a science is that it requires precision, accuracy, predictability, and repeatability. all of this is true but these are the characteristics of science, particularly. there is a parallel notion that calling it an art means that lacks these qualities or is somehow mysterious.

No flames from me. I can live very well with your elaborate description of the idea behind my last line.
 :horse:
(Only rely on purebred deceased remounts for your holy war effort!)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48410 on: January 31, 2020, 02:37:35 am »

By page 4 of chapter one Tietze and Schenk is into a mathematical model of the diode. TAoE is for exactly the people who don't want that approach - let's blind you with mathematics and not actually tell you what a diode is (in any straightforward way), why you might use one, etc.

As for Nührmann? Erm perhaps it's because Das grosse Werkbuch.. is that, a German book. There appears to be no English version, or any other language for that matter. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but German's a bit of a minority language. (English 1132 million speakers, <10 other languages accounting for 3944 million speakers>, German 132 million speakers, Japanese at 128 million speakers and so on).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48411 on: January 31, 2020, 02:53:35 am »
Then in that case you should be all too familiar with switches like that bastard child from MK, all switches used in the UK should conform to the BSI standard and that is down for ON  :-DD

That's only because your damned lazy electrons won't go uphill... >:D

mnem
All except the ones from Portsmouth & Brighton... because lets face it; where the Hell else do they have to go...?   :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48412 on: January 31, 2020, 02:59:09 am »
...how many other obvious things have i missed in my life?

wait!  girls have boobs!  that's how you spot them!   damn!

Secure cornerstones of bygone times. Always careful out there!

Oh damn... caught me LOLing from BOTH missives at the same time. Well done you manky fools!

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48413 on: January 31, 2020, 03:05:11 am »
In other news,

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh

If you need proof of the difference between the ART of Electronic Engineering vs the SCIENCE thereof; just look at what an experienced EE can turn out in an afternoon vs what an unsupervised autorouter will turn out. :palm:

mnem
No cheating; using your favorite rules table is giving it the benefit of YOUR Engineering art. ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48414 on: January 31, 2020, 05:46:49 am »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48415 on: January 31, 2020, 06:16:20 am »
40+C again on the bench so not much here...... :phew:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #48416 on: January 31, 2020, 07:48:35 am »

The technical university where I could not study because I lacked the qualifications, so had to teach there instead (true story) has the phrase "Vetenskap och Konst" (Science and art) in its logotype.  The word "Konst" which indeed does translate to "Art" has several meanings in swedish, of which but one is "Decorative art, like a painting". It also can be used to describe the application of theoretical knowledge in concert with practical experience to achieve a superior result, sometimes with a theoretical content varying close to zero. Much like mnem and the autorouter.  There can be no conflict except for the sake of conflict here, if we're interested in taking our profession/hobby/curse/addiction further. Mind you, it's called "state of the art" and I do believe the reasons for that don't stray too much from this discussion.

To keep the ambiguity, the university has one of the largest orchestras in town, simply because.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:53:51 am by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48417 on: January 31, 2020, 07:52:28 am »
That's enough. 42C. I got my answer. I don't want to damage the battery in the reference.

Final result. From room ambient of 22C there was an observed increase of +0.0004V. Now I'm going to see how long it takes to lose it and return to an observed +9.9966V

I'm looking forward to being retired one day and having more free time, but I really hope I don't have THAT much time to waste!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #48418 on: January 31, 2020, 08:30:47 am »
In other news,

I got TEA Money +0,54€

Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be... uhhhhhh

FUUUU, I was so blindly happy that I forgot to take in account the shipment cost of my old AoE: 4,95€

So,

Sold my almost new AoE 3rd Edition first edition for 36,95€-4,95€=31€

I lost 5,41€ for the AoE 3rd upgrade.  :'(

Let ithh bee eeh  eh ehm cough ops...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:43:28 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48419 on: January 31, 2020, 09:35:24 am »
I lost 5,41€ for the AoE 3rd upgrade.  :'(

See it this way:
You updated your AoE for only €5.41, and pass on your passion to someone else for an affordable price.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48420 on: January 31, 2020, 09:39:36 am »

I'm looking forward to being retired one day and having more free time, but I really hope I don't have THAT much time to waste!

McBryce.

I make no excuses for how I spend my time nor do I have to justify it to anyone.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48421 on: January 31, 2020, 09:52:57 am »
... The word "Konst" which indeed does translate to "Art" has several meanings in swedish, of which but one is "Decorative art, like a painting". It also can be used to describe the application of theoretical knowledge in concert with practical experience to achieve a superior result, sometimes with a theoretical content varying close to zero. ...

The usages of "art" in English are the same. In English one can also describe something as "artless" to convey the idea of clumsy construction or design, of being inelegant when an elegant solution is possible. Using a whole op amp where an emitter follower would have done the job just as well is artless.

Arguably applied science is what turns a craft into engineering. Medieval craft bridge builders were fully capable of building bridges that worked, anyone who lives in a city more than 500 years old can probably point to a bridge that is still in use that was constructed entirely without the benefits of engineering mechanics. Science is being able to prove that the foundation stone of a bridge doesn't need to be set in mortar made with blood, or any other such practice passed down from master to apprentice over the years; engineering is systematically applying the results to future bridge building efforts.

Either way, there is no doubt that some bridges are beautiful, both in terms of aesthetics and engineering, others are ugly on the same terms. Artfulness is a necessity in producing good engineering, failing to be artful results in engineering that is the application of mere rote learning - one might as well use a copy of Bridge Buildertm 3.1. To loosely quote Prof. Roger Needham "If there's an algorithm for it then it's mere administration, if there isn't an algorithm then it's management"; I'd propose that if you can get there by application of a set of rules and formulae then it's mere engineering, if it requires more then it's an art.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48422 on: January 31, 2020, 09:54:22 am »

McBryce.

I make no excuses for how I spend my time nor do I have to justify it to anyone.  ::)

You do however have to put up with some piss-taking about some of it.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48423 on: January 31, 2020, 09:57:15 am »

McBryce.

You do however have to put up with some piss-taking about some of it.  :)

And I kindly invite them to go piss up a rope.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48424 on: January 31, 2020, 09:59:07 am »
To me a good description of TAoE that, only greybeards will understand, is to remember the old Markus compendiums of circuits. They contained thousands of "naked" schematics, which sounds exactly what a practicing engineer might want so they didn't have to (poorly) reinvent a wheel, and to solve their problem using a circuit that would probably work well.

But in practice the Markus' compendiums were a great disappointment and of little use, because there was no description of how the circuits worked, nor their performance, nor their limitations.

TAoE avoids that trap by having the explanations. Hence TAoE useful when you want to find a circuit that Just Works.

OTOH, TAoE by design is not a good book for understanding fundamental electronics and theory, nor for understanding the depths of any particular subject.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf