Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919357 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47125 on: January 15, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »
I suspect rather that the response is down to the sick, twisted sense of humour that I know that he, I, mnem, and now apparently you, share.

Thanks for the compliment!

mnem
*the worst company you can keep*   >:D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:04:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #47126 on: January 15, 2020, 05:00:42 pm »
Another sign that an era is coming to an end.  A long retired tek employee with a fabulous collection of 500 series scopes, plug-ins, and parts hired someone to sell his collection. The seller listed it on CL as a television repair shop.  :palm:

Here's the shop:

I just saw the ad. The audio guys have already been through the place and, apparently, took all the tubes and left the plug-ins and scopes behind. The ebay guys have been through and taken all the scopes and other likely sellable gear and tools. 

The seller is opening it up on Saturday for a couple of hours. I am going to go out, though I don't hope to find anything useful left. I think whatever is not sold will go to a lot buyer or scrap.   :'(
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47127 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:32 pm »
Hmm, you might want to check that Schaffner IEC Mains Inlet Filter, because the mains filter might well lurking inside that metal jacket which then becomes a mini pipe bomb.
Yes, I'm aware of this. :)   I think, I should have write instead "No RIFA madness in sight so far." :)

I don't think we've bludgeoned BU508A enough about that IEC filter...

Anything above about 10 years old is pushing it. 20 is probably worth shouting Allāhu akbar before you turn it on.

There we go.  :-DD 

mnem
"That'll do pig... that'll do."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47128 on: January 15, 2020, 05:09:40 pm »
Another sign that an era is coming to an end.  A long retired tek employee with a fabulous collection of 500 series scopes, plug-ins, and parts hired someone to sell his collection. The seller listed it on CL as a television repair shop.  :palm:

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

I just saw the ad. The audio guys have already been through the place and, apparently, took all the tubes and left the plug-ins and scopes behind. The ebay guys have been through and taken all the scopes and other likely sellable gear and tools. 

The seller is opening it up on Saturday for a couple of hours. I am going to go out, though I don't hope to find anything useful left. I think whatever is not sold will go to a lot buyer or scrap.   :'(

Yep, this is Stan Griffiths' collection. Apparently his health is failing so he's put his entire collection up for sale. And yes, the audiophools have already raided the tubes. They have even raped plug-ins and scope mainframes. The bastards.  :rant: So look for an influx of over priced Tek stuff on Ebay.  :-- 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47129 on: January 15, 2020, 05:14:00 pm »
Urgh fucking audio bell ends! Kill them with fire!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47130 on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:02 pm »

Well, now that some of us know what his voice sounds like I'd like you to imagine him saying this tomorrow:

"So guys, you know that PM6681? The one with no RIFA inside, ja? Vell, I turned it on this morning and had einer kleine problem..."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47131 on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:36 pm »

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

Yep, this is Stan Griffiths' collection. Apparently his health is failing so he's put his entire collection up for sale. And yes, the audiophools have already raided the tubes. They have even raped plug-ins and scope mainframes. The bastards.  :rant: So look for an influx of over priced Tek stuff on Ebay.  :--

Yes it is. I had a lovely long chat with Stan at the last ham fest he attended. He's a sweet guy. I imagine this is really hard for him as restoring this gear was a huge part of his life for a long time.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47132 on: January 15, 2020, 05:30:20 pm »

Well, now that some of us know what his voice sounds like I'd like you to imagine him saying this tomorrow:

"So guys, you know that PM6681? The one with no RIFA inside, ja? Vell, I turned it on this morning and had einer kleine problem..."

Ok ok ok, when I'm home, I'll inspect this bloody damned IEC filter and take some photos of it :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47133 on: January 15, 2020, 05:33:08 pm »
that makes me very sad
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47134 on: January 15, 2020, 05:42:05 pm »
nothing but religious wingnuts too extreme even for the Pope to ignore, plus a few boatloads of bona-fide father-killers & mother-rapers and mother-killers & father rapers.

I think you're confusing New England with Virginia. :)

Pretty sure TheGeorge didn't know the difference either. ;)

and running chainsaws.

I don't think your edit is necessary, I've had some chainsaws look at me with a vicious side-eyed squint while they're sitting cold on the shelf.

In hindsight, maybe so.  ;) The toaster in my kitchen does precisely that every morning... :o

And then after y'all "elected" May,

T'weren't the individual I had in mind. You can call Ms. May many things, but 'buffoon' isn't one that springs to mind, she was all rather too dull for that. Mind you, 'dull' or 'boring' isn't necessarily a bad thing in a politician, it all depends on what it's combined with.

Yeah, that gag was a bit iffy... but the timeline was wrong to throw Boris under that particular bus.  :-// In my defense... May's visible and utter disconnect from the reality of those she was supposed to govern appears exactly that; buffoonish... from over here. Possibly even worse than that of our own Ultra-Right Wing, given that the Tories were the progenitor of that attitude. |O

I think I was trying to evoke some of my own personal favorite metaphor "Life is a tightrope walk while juggling running chainsaws..."

mnem
"...and parenting is doing that surrounded by people you love... while trying to write the manual for yourself." ~me
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:46:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #47135 on: January 15, 2020, 06:13:37 pm »
I've done the same thing.  I didn't have a proper battery charger for my car battery but I did have a lab power supply and I did the same.  My monitoring system was that I was outside sitting next it it with a fire extinguisher ready.

Car battery top-up charging the TEAsman's way.

The 34661A is there to monitor the cable voltage drop because I was too lazy to find the cabling to put the E3616A into 4 wire remote sense mode. Note the kitchen thermometer (purchased on a recommendation in this very forum from Mnem) sitting on the battery for temperature compensation calculation.

(Attachment Link)
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47136 on: January 15, 2020, 06:50:23 pm »

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

Yes it is. I had a lovely long chat with Stan at the last ham fest he attended. He's a sweet guy. I imagine this is really hard for him as restoring this gear was a huge part of his life for a long time.

I also have a copy of his book on restoring old Teks.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:53:03 pm by med6753 »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #47137 on: January 15, 2020, 06:53:59 pm »

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

Absolutely gut wrenching.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47138 on: January 15, 2020, 06:59:02 pm »
Indeed. The vintage radio lot are having serious problems with supplies and price inflation as well due to those bastards. Literally valve vultures. I’ve seen a few tube teks over the last few years on eBay, including from Marty the cunt in Farnborough advertised for stripping  :--

All because of some magical unicorn ability.

I know someone who has a massive supply of ECL86’s. Literally hundreds of mullard. He gives them out to people repeating radios only  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47139 on: January 15, 2020, 07:04:06 pm »

Currently making a PCIe 6-Pin Connector from an old ATX connector to hack into the PSU from the $36 HP. Why?

1) Bored sheepless.
2) Cheap-ass dwagon.
3) PSU has 192W capacity on +12V-2; currently feeding a 65W i3 APU.
4) $4 graphics card not doing me any good on shelf and will get me back 1/2 gig of RAM while improving streaming video quality.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47140 on: January 15, 2020, 07:37:07 pm »

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

-Pat

I just realized that the CA plug-in I bought came from Portland, Oregon. I wonder if it was part of Stan's collection? It was reasonably priced and advert as working.

If I ever get the freaking thing. Now it's left Springfield, Masshole for who knows where. And if it doesn't work or is missing tubes there's gonna be a big stink.  :o 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47141 on: January 15, 2020, 07:37:17 pm »
UK auction alert: heathkit, some test gear, lots of amateur and vintage radio stuff and lots of cool old scientific instruments: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10351/search-filter?archivesearch=False
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:39:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47142 on: January 15, 2020, 07:41:17 pm »
UK auction alert: heathkit, some test gear, lots of amateur and vintage radio stuff and lots of cool old scientific instruments: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10351/search-filter?archivesearch=False

Wow, lots of goodies.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47143 on: January 15, 2020, 07:45:51 pm »
Probably best radio one I have ever seen here!

Might bid on that. PRC320 + US command receivers + Heathkit SB lots are probably worth it assuming the fucking tube pirates don't get there first.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:51:59 pm by bd139 »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47144 on: January 15, 2020, 07:59:54 pm »

Here's the shop:

(Attachment Link)

-Pat

I just realized that the CA plug-in I bought came from Portland, Oregon. I wonder if it was part of Stan's collection? It was reasonably priced and advert as working.

If I ever get the freaking thing. Now it's left Springfield, Masshole for who knows where. And if it doesn't work or is missing tubes there's gonna be a big stink.  :o

probably came from stan's collection. a couple of guys that buy lots of estate electronics have already been through the shop. that's why i don't think i will find anything i can use when i go over this week.  let me know the shop you bought it from and i can probably tell you who sold it to you. 

there are also a couple of new guys around here that will buy a ton of crap to get three or four ebay-able pieces of gear. they convince the owner it is all worthless and pay by the pound. unless they hit the lottery, i am not sure how they make money doing what they do, but they must, because they keep doing it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47145 on: January 15, 2020, 08:05:21 pm »

probably came from stan's collection. a couple of guys that buy lots of estate electronics have already been through the shop. that's why i don't think i will find anything i can use when i go over this week.  let me know the shop you bought it from and i can probably tell you who sold it to you. 

there are also a couple of new guys around here that will buy a ton of crap to get three or four ebay-able pieces of gear. they convince the owner it is all worthless and pay by the pound. unless they hit the lottery, i am not sure how they make money doing what they do, but they must, because they keep doing it.

The seller was "jasonjokers"

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #47146 on: January 15, 2020, 08:13:02 pm »

Might bid on that. PRC320 + US command receivers + Heathkit SB lots are probably worth it assuming the fucking tube pirates don't get there first.

The PRC320 does, as you undoubtely know, not contain any hollow state devices, but it's got its fair share of crazy tants, high voltages and lots of complex mechanics. I dread having to open mine.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47147 on: January 15, 2020, 08:15:54 pm »

Oh God! I just looked at that and the first few things triggered my desire to start collecting lovely brass and wood old scientific instruments. The TEA is bad enough, I cannot start collecting those as well.  :scared:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47148 on: January 15, 2020, 08:28:23 pm »

The PRC320 does, as you undoubtely know, not contain any hollow state devices, but it's got its fair share of crazy tants, high voltages and lots of complex mechanics. I dread having to open mine.

That's my favourite type of playground! playing hunt the tant inside a Tek 7L12  :-DD

Soooo regret selling that Tek mainframe now  :-DD

Oh God! I just looked at that and the first few things triggered my desire to start collecting lovely brass and wood old scientific instruments. The TEA is bad enough, I cannot start collecting those as well.  :scared:

Yes anything brass, glass and wood does it for me too. Especially stuff like this (science museum):

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47149 on: January 15, 2020, 08:36:14 pm »

How about collecting sperm whale teeth?  :o
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/david-duggleby-scarborough/catalogue-id-srda10351/lot-db347fc4-34bf-474e-86b3-ab41010ace69

*now getting out this IEC thing*  :-/O
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf