Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17258427 times)

doktor pyta, shakalnokturn and 69 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46900 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:43 am »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46901 on: January 13, 2020, 03:46:15 am »
So, I couldn't resist.  Solid aluminum knobs and dials, brushed aluminum face, I had to polish it.  Good old Mothers Metal polish, Q-Tips and too much time later and now I have another shiny object to play with...

PS, got the O.S.I.D. tag off the front too.

That looks great! I take it yours doesn't have lacquer on the front panel like some PD supplies. I have one where the lacquer had yellowed except where stickers shielded it from UV.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46902 on: January 13, 2020, 03:57:56 am »

Well, that was a wholly unsatisfying project. Nuked/paved the spinning rust module in this HP p7-1243 with Win10 last night; took all of 20 minutes including dusting out the box. Spent another 20 minutes getting things organized the way I like & running ShutUp10, then several iterations of "Check for Updates" over the afternoon today while I did other things. It and the 32" ProX-1 display have been running 24 hours straight with all power savings disabled.

Totes did NOT get my US$36 worth of tinkering; no sir, not even a hinky USB3.0 driver to fix.  >:( I'll spend more time shopping a 2nd DIMM than I did deploying... maybe I should also look for a cheap SSD...?  :P

mnem
|O
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:05:59 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #46903 on: January 13, 2020, 04:07:45 am »
So, I couldn't resist.  Solid aluminum knobs and dials, brushed aluminum face, I had to polish it.  Good old Mothers Metal polish, Q-Tips and too much time later and now I have another shiny object to play with...

That looks great! I take it yours doesn't have lacquer on the front panel like some PD supplies. I have one where the lacquer had yellowed except where stickers shielded it from UV.

I thought it may have had a clear coat on the front, but I guess not.  Now trying to find the best matching Krylon color to repaint the cover.  I think the Satin Rolling Surf is the closest.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46904 on: January 13, 2020, 04:08:00 am »
@bitseeker et al - thanks for the discord - sound issues on my end (mainly microphone) - I think mainly because I started in the car hands-free using Android Auto and then hopped out, and tautech's comments on the blog were helpful - I think there is a bit of a delay in the Southern Hemisphere - not unexpectedly!
It's a good time of day for me.
Rob (Adelaide - South Australia)

Perhaps it might be a good idea to fix a time for a chat on the channel that's explicitly for people to mess around with their audio setups; with a few people 'on' it would be possible to get feedback from others about audibility, levels etc.

Isn't that kindof what this channel is for...? At pretty much any time we can find some of our friends online here and go meet there, as we've done several times already.  :-//

Howsomever, I've already suggested making it an informal "...same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel" thing every week; not necessarily recording a podcast every week, but more just using the already established place & time to know when you can drop in & shoot the shit with whomever made it this time.  :-+

Yep, I heard your suggestion before signing off and left the channel active. So, we can have a recurring, informal TEA Time every Saturday at 21:00 UTC.

There's the general voice channel as well for ad hoc chats. Someone even brought up the notion of using the discord server for real-time repair help/debugging. If it's helpful, give it a go. That's what community is all about.

(Besides, what pub is going to have an equipment help desk in the back? ;D)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #46905 on: January 13, 2020, 04:36:40 am »
The 184 has been sitting on the bench, quietly haunting me, while I dealt with a long list of house maintenance projects. I got back to it tonight. The outlook is not good.  During the last round, the 1.0us marker output failed while it was running. Tonight it looks like the 0.5us marker output failed. I am guessing that my application of 130V to the 12V rail damaged a bunch of transistors that are now starting to fail.   :-BROKE

So while it was nice to spend some time troubleshooting, it was a bit depressing to realize that I probably damaged it beyond repair.    :'(

specialization is for insects.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46907 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:26 am »
Already up to date and I also ran Malwarebytes as a check.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46908 on: January 13, 2020, 06:25:35 am »
It pisses me off to no end that the Siglent SDM3055 reads 0.0003VDC lower than the two Fluke 8800A's.  |O :-DD
I been nagging them to release that manual Cal procedure !  :horse:
I'm sure you have and I appreciate it.  :-+

At this point, it would be less assache to make the 8800As match the SDM3055.

After all, that WAS kind of the point of getting that particular bit of new hawtness, anyways. ;)

mnem
*passes out on the keyboard* whatthemrmphllmpppphhhhhhh...
Nope, then med would have to massage his reference too !  :scared:
F**king rabbit holes ! ! !  :horse:

References....plural. That's how I know the Siglent is off.  ;D

But DO YOU... REALLY...?  >:D

"Confidence is high" ≠ "know". ;) Minimum standard to "know" is a calibrated measurement device that agrees with some appropriate calibrated standard, and even then ONLY in the ranges appropriate to that calibrated standard. By your own admission, you don't have a single piece of calibrated gear on your bench.

The odds of two identical meters which load a reference exactly the same being exactly the same amount right or wrong are actually a lot higher than you want to believe. The Siglent reading slightly different doesn't necessarily make it wrong; you need a lot more than two contrary samples2 to make that assumption. :-//

I'm just reminding you and those playing along at home of what you already know... I've seen you lurking in the voltnut threads; I'm more than happy to hang out here, in the voltmutt thread.  :-DD

mnem
FLUKE SEZ BAM!!! is good enough for me.

We could go round and round on this forever.

These are my 2 "transfer" standards. They are from 2 entirely different lots which gives some better level of credibility. I have no reason to doubt their accuracy.

The two 8800A's agree with both of them, 100%. The Siglent is consistently off by what I mentioned before. I think it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the Siglent is right and everyone else is wrong. Which way do YOU want to bet the farm?  :-DD

I have one of those standards like the one with the faded year.

When I got it, it read 20 ppm low for 10V on a Fluke 8845A.  The Fluke was within a couple of ppm of my 731B standard at 10V.

Over 87K samples and a temperature range of 19.6 to 25 deg C, I got:

Min 10.00114, Max 10.00123, Avg 10.00118.  The value written on the standard was 10.00140.  I was disappointed.

The numbers on the standard are as good as the adjustment of the 34401A they used to measure it and the 34401A is spec'd at +/- 35 ppm basic accuracy.

I see no reason to disbelieve the Siglent.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46909 on: January 13, 2020, 06:49:00 am »
So, I couldn't resist ... I had to polish it.
That usually belies a background in the British Army or the Marine Corps, or a parent who was in the same.  :) I you can't polish it, paint it; if you can't paint it, whitewash it.

Reminds me of one summer's employment with Coach & Equipment building specialty vans & buses... we were expected to keep caulk in 4 colors on our carts at all times, and we were expected to use them with extreme predudice any time we saw a gap anywhere between panels big enough to be noticed from the other side of the vehicle, whether we were working on our own line or "helping out" on another. They were also commonly used as adhesive and to level fabric and to make up for panel curves under step well lights, etc.

The informal mantra among the grunts on the line was "C & E stands for CAULK EVERYTHING!"

mnem
"Paint is for autobody and people who can't run a caulking gun." ~ Floor & Underlayment Shop Foreman Frank Somethingorother

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #46910 on: January 13, 2020, 08:38:01 am »

Delightful instrument, aren't they.

I had to respray the case https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1839581/#msg1839581
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46911 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:18 am »
As a matter of fact, The Holy Grail of condenser microphony, the Neumann U47 (which was sold under the Telefunken brand in the USA) is mentioned in the song. The U47 is the reason all those China microphones look the same, they are trying to mimic the U47.  Of course, the U47 is a valve microphone, using an unobtanium VF14 pentode, so acts just like the Devices we're more commonly talking about in here. 

I do not own a U47 (which I'd like to have, really!). Those things are stupidly expensive. If you find a complete one in good condition, the price range goes easily something between US-$ 5k and 15k. For the Neumann U47 or the Telefunken version.

What I have is a RFT CM 7151. It sits since a while in my repair / restoration queue. One of the advantages of this CM 7151 is: the Neumann capsules for the U47 fits on this microphone as well. And I do have the legendary M7 capsule (kidney shaped characteristic).

What a wonderful microphone. Which valve does it use?

It uses two EF12 / EF12K.
The CM 7151 has a PSU built into the case which gives him a lot of humm. I want to throw out the PSU and build a new one in an external case. This will improve the signal quality and will remove the humm completely. Years ago, there was in the Elektor journal (special tube edition) an article about this microphone and how to do this retrofitting.

Edit:

Just for being complete: here are the schematics of the U47 and the CM 7151.

The Neumann U47 with the VF14:

The Neumann U47-N (Triode):

The RFT CM 7151:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:54:36 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, mansaxel

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46912 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:05 pm »

Well, that was a wholly unsatisfying project. Nuked/paved the spinning rust module in this HP p7-1243 with Win10 last night; took all of 20 minutes including dusting out the box. Spent another 20 minutes getting things organized the way I like & running ShutUp10, then several iterations of "Check for Updates" over the afternoon today while I did other things. It and the 32" ProX-1 display have been running 24 hours straight with all power savings disabled.

Totes did NOT get my US$36 worth of tinkering; no sir, not even a hinky USB3.0 driver to fix.  >:( I'll spend more time shopping a 2nd DIMM than I did deploying... maybe I should also look for a cheap SSD...?  :P

mnem
|O

SSD is the best thing you can do for an older PC...   testosterone replacement therapy.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46913 on: January 13, 2020, 02:33:46 pm »

I have one of those standards like the one with the faded year.

When I got it, it read 20 ppm low for 10V on a Fluke 8845A.  The Fluke was within a couple of ppm of my 731B standard at 10V.

Over 87K samples and a temperature range of 19.6 to 25 deg C, I got:

Min 10.00114, Max 10.00123, Avg 10.00118.  The value written on the standard was 10.00140.  I was disappointed.

The numbers on the standard are as good as the adjustment of the 34401A they used to measure it and the 34401A is spec'd at +/- 35 ppm basic accuracy.

I see no reason to disbelieve the Siglent.

And this is exactly why I purchased a 2nd reference. I wasn't sure if I could trust it. Now is it possible that BOTH are inaccurate? Of course but based upon what I've observed, and to the limits of my equipment, I don't think so. There appears to be this perception that I'm a loose cannon and I make decisions in a vacuum. Just the opposite. I think I'm very meticulous and draw valid conclusions based upon what I test and observe.

When I was initially faced with the discrepancy between 1 Fluke 8800A and the Siglent SDM3055 I thought about how I could resolve it quickly and with the least amount of pain (cost). It became an easy choice. Purchase another 8800A. They are relatively cheap, accurate, and available. The one that I bought had a shorted cap in the power supply. So once that was fixed and without touching or knowing when it was last calibrated I threw it into the mix. Right or wrong, I was relying on Fluke's reputation for staying in cal.

My test set up is as follows. I put the reference on +5V supply so it doesn't drain the battery. For consistency I always use the reference with the 9.99691V indicated. The DMM's and reference are powered up and allowed to cook for 12 to 24 hours before taking a final reading. And what are the results? Both Flukes would read 9.9969-70V. The Siglent 9.9965-66V. And I've done this test several times and the results are REPEATABLE and CONSISTENT. So what conclusion would you draw? And these tests also proved that the 8810A wasn't even a player anymore. It would start out at 9.9970V and over the course of the test drift down to as low as 9.9963V. That's why it was withdrawn and became a parts mule.

So right or wrong my conclusion is the Siglent is off. And here's something else to chew on. What do the Flukes and Siglent read upon cold start power up? That's also telling. The Flukes read between 9.9968 – 71V and then within about an hour or so settle down to their final reading. The Siglent, regardless of a cold start or from standby reads 9.9960V and takes many, many hours to settle at it's final reading. My conclusion here is that if you need to make ultra precise measurements with the Siglent you better have it powered up at least 12 hours ahead of time.       
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46914 on: January 13, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »

That's where the old-fashioned (and very expensive) method of physically engraving legends into a panel pays off. No matter how far gone it is you can strip it, paint it, rub some wax crayon into the engraving and it's good as new.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46915 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:37 pm »

GadgetPubtm does of course!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46916 on: January 13, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »
There appears to be this perception that I'm a loose cannon

Only when you're got a can of blue Krylon in your hands Med, only when we can see your spray button finger twitching...  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46917 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:56 pm »
@med : I think I'm going to heed your suggestion and ride off into the sunset on this topic. I've advised, discussed, and reasoned what I consider to be mostly "hormones and hubris" behind your need to meddle with the only recently cal'd bit of gear on your bench. You're on your own from here on in, old friend.

As a matter of fact, The Holy Grail of condenser microphony, the Neumann U47 (which was sold under the Telefunken brand in the USA) is mentioned in the song. The U47 is the reason all those China microphones look the same, they are trying to mimic the U47.  Of course, the U47 is a valve microphone, using an unobtanium VF14 pentode, so acts just like the Devices we're more commonly talking about in here.
I do not own a U47 (which I'd like to have, really!). Those things are stupidly expensive. If you find a complete one in good condition, the price range goes easily something between US-$ 5k and 15k. For the Neumann U47 or the Telefunken version. What I have is a RFT CM 7151. It sits since a while in my repair / restoration queue. One of the advantages of this CM 7151 is: the Neumann capsules for the U47 fits on this microphone as well. And I do have the legendary M7 capsule (kidney shaped characteristic).
What a wonderful microphone. Which valve does it use?

It uses two EF12 / EF12K.   The CM 7151 has a PSU built into the case which gives him a lot of humm. I want to throw out the PSU and build a new one in an external case. This will improve the signal quality and will remove the humm completely. Years ago, there was in the Elektor journal (special tube edition) an article about this microphone and how to do this retrofitting. Edit:   Just for being complete: here are the schematics of the U47 and the CM 7151.

The Neumann U47 with the VF14:      The Neumann U47-N (Triode):      The RFT CM 7151:
There is some neat music history in this little side discussion...  :-+

It seems to me that with modern components (pancake transformers, better electrolytic caps, better rectifiers etc) and a little sheetmetal work for magnetic shielding, you should easily be able to make a fully isolated low-EMI power supply module right inside that cavernous box; preserving at least the appearance of the original design. Just a thought.  ;)

Well, that was a wholly unsatisfying project. Nuked/paved the spinning rust module in this HP p7-1243 with Win10 last night; took all of 20 minutes including dusting out the box. Spent another 20 minutes getting things organized the way I like & running ShutUp10, then several iterations of "Check for Updates" over the afternoon today while I did other things. It and the 32" ProX-1 display have been running 24 hours straight with all power savings disabled. Totes did NOT get my US$36 worth of tinkering; no sir, not even a hinky USB3.0 driver to fix.  >:( I'll spend more time shopping a 2nd DIMM than I did deploying... maybe I should also look for a cheap SSD...?  :P

mnem
|O
SSD is the best thing you can do for an older PC...   testosterone replacement therapy.
Oh, this wasn't a "upgrade my old PC scenario"... this was entirely a case of tinkering for it's own sake.  >:D I thrifted it all for approx $36, specifically to have something to tinker on. I already have my own version of the "Mandingo MEBB" Gaming PC in the living room for my flight sims and VR. ;)

mnem
“It's a dangerous business Frodo; going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:50:40 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46918 on: January 13, 2020, 03:49:53 pm »
There appears to be this perception that I'm a loose cannon
Only when you're got a can of blue Krylon in your hands Med, only when we can see your spray button finger twitching see that you're awake...  :)

There... fixed that for ya.  :-DD

mnem
"POIT!"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46919 on: January 13, 2020, 04:14:45 pm »

GadgetPubtm does of course!

That's the pub we need. Instead we got Samuel Smith chain, the owner of which who has managed to ban phones, ipads, laptops, swearing, sports, paying by card, live entertainment, bikers, jukeboxes, slot machines. So instead you can sit around and be fucking miserable cirrhosis victim of yesteryear.  :palm:

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46920 on: January 13, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
Explaination for the wife: Multimeters.

When you get a Multimeter mostly it have any problem inside.
To check that you need a second Multimeter, the accuracy must be 10 times higher means, one digit more resolution,
so you can do a trustful calibration.
The problem is: this ten times more accurate Multimeter can also get a problem,
to check that you need...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46921 on: January 13, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »
OK, to be serious about this for a minute (Let's see if I can last that long):

And this is exactly why I purchased a 2nd reference. I wasn't sure if I could trust it. Now is it possible that BOTH are inaccurate? Of course but based upon what I've observed, and to the limits of my equipment, I don't think so. There appears to be this perception that I'm a loose cannon and I make decisions in a vacuum. Just the opposite. I think I'm very meticulous and draw valid conclusions based upon what I test and observe.

Two references probably isn't enough, particularly when they are of the same pattern and therefore likely to have similar systematic errors. I think for good results one needs to go one of two ways.

(1) One goes for one high quality reference (think one of the Fluke 10V references or similar), have it calibrated regularly and generally follow good metrology practice. If you do this you're in the "Man with one clock knows what time it is" territory. If the 'clock' is of good enough quality then you've a very high probability that your clock agrees to within some tolerance with the clocks of other people. The error in your estimate of your reference quantity (volt, second, ohm, whatever) is inversely proportional to the amount of money you're willing to spend on it - a Fluke 10V reference and regular calibrations gets you 'the volt' to perhaps within 1-2 ppm, a second-hand 34661A like mine gets you perhaps within 35-50 ppm if you're lucky.

(2) Have many sources of reference. If you do this you're in the "Man with n clocks doesn't know what time it is" territory and you need to get from there to knowing the true value of the reference quantity (to within some tolerance) with what you've got. The trick here is to rely on statistical inference from the multiple 'reference' values that you have to hand. To do that you need the 'clocks' to be statistically independent of each other.

If your references are all of the same type you have to find a way of  ferreting out the common systematic errors from your readings - possible but quite hard to do without a long period of calibration against outside 'official' references. For instance, some voltage reference architectures tend to have positive tempcos, some tend to have negative tempcos - if you only have one type there's likely no statistical independence in their tempcos and therefore you will have to calibrate their tempcos against an external reference.

That's why I'd advocate for having references that differ in type - one LM399 based, one 1N891 based etc. etc. That way the drifts and noise aren't likely to be based on some common feature of structure or design. If you have enough statistically independent sources you just average them to get an estimate of the 'true' value that they are all trying to reproduce. The error in doing so scales inversely to the square root of the number of sources that you combine statistically - more sources lower error. If you've enough spread of sources and a mixture of positive and negative tempcos then you can always get a 'good' approximation of the 'true' value that you're aiming for.

In all this remember that in precision metrology there never is a 'true' value, there is only ever a measurement with a certain confidence interval. The best calibration you will ever get against 'the volt' is to a confidence of 0.03 ppm (k=2), and that's inside a top notch national metrology laboratory (NPL, PTB, NIST etc.). On the timenut front, the true value of 'time to UTC' is worked out after the fact by statistically pooling the estimates made by the world's national metrology bodies into a central notion of the (estimated) value of 'time to UTC'.

If this whole screed contains a lot of weasel words - 'likely', 'probably', 'estimate' - it's because that is the territory when talking about precision metrology.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46922 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:58 pm »
Explaination for the wife: Multimeters.

When you get a Multimeter mostly it have any problem inside.
To check that you need a second Multimeter, the accuracy must be 10 times higher means, one digit more resolution,
so you can do a trustful calibration.
The problem is: this ten times more accurate Multimeter can also get a problem,
to check that you need...

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

(Any excuse to buy more gear, right?)   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46923 on: January 13, 2020, 04:43:42 pm »
what else  8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46924 on: January 13, 2020, 04:53:37 pm »
FLUKE SEZ "BAMMM!"

>:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf