Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17261037 times)

Nanitamuscen, Carl_Smith and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46825 on: January 12, 2020, 03:54:17 am »
I totally get it that there is no bottom to the rabbit hole.

I did fail to mention the HP 8640B here, again in an unknown state of cal.  Perhaps for now I will compare that with the 2445 and if they reasonably agree put the "for indication only" sticker on  ;)

I wouldn't even do that. If they are reasonably close run them as is. No sticker. But you'll have to decide the definition of "reasonably close". Do you think that every Tek scope I have here is fully calibrated to factory specs? Hell no. Are they "reasonably close"? Hell yes. The 3 important parameters to me are sweep speed accuracy, vertical accuracy, and compensation accuracy. All can be easily achieved "reasonably close" with standard equipment. I don't have the thousands of dollars of equipment to do a factory spec cal and I don't care.

The only time I do sticker something is equipment I KNOW is out of spec. For example: The DMM option on the 2465 DMS. I know the ACV is out of spec. I don't have the equipment required to calibrate it so it's stickered as "not calibrated".

I hear ya Med, but you see...I have the accuracy sickness....
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #46826 on: January 12, 2020, 04:00:56 am »
Someone may be edging closer to the Bridge of Death...also know as the voltnuts forum...  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:03:59 am by 0culus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46827 on: January 12, 2020, 04:10:59 am »

I did fail to mention the HP 8640B here, again in an unknown state of cal.  Perhaps for now I will compare that with the 2445 and if they reasonably agree put the "for indication only" sticker on  ;)

I wouldn't even do that. If they are reasonably close run them as is. No sticker. But you'll have to decide the definition of "reasonably close". Do you think that every Tek scope I have here is fully calibrated to factory specs? Hell no. Are they "reasonably close"? Hell yes. The 3 important parameters to me are sweep speed accuracy, vertical accuracy, and compensation accuracy. All can be easily achieved "reasonably close" with standard equipment. I don't have the thousands of dollars of equipment to do a factory spec cal and I don't care.

The only time I do sticker something is equipment I KNOW is out of spec. For example: The DMM option on the 2465 DMS. I know the ACV is out of spec. I don't have the equipment required to calibrate it so it's stickered as "not calibrated".

Well, I do too. It pisses me off to no end that the Siglent SDM3055 reads 0.0003VDC lower than the two Fluke 8800A's.  |O :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46828 on: January 12, 2020, 04:15:17 am »

500 MHz AWG, precision bench DMM and a 10 MHz ref should be enough to cure all that ailing !  :P
Then just your wallet will feel sick !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46829 on: January 12, 2020, 04:16:46 am »
It pisses me off to no end that the Siglent SDM3055 reads 0.0003VDC lower than the two Fluke 8800A's.  |O :-DD
I been nagging them to release that manual Cal procedure !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46830 on: January 12, 2020, 04:17:50 am »
It pisses me off to no end that the Siglent SDM3055 reads 0.0003VDC lower than the two Fluke 8800A's.  |O :-DD

I'm sure you have and I appreciate it.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46831 on: January 12, 2020, 04:28:12 am »
Someone may be edging closer to the Bridge of Death...also know as the voltnuts forum...  :-DD

I am not a Voltnut.  I have never touched a Josephson junction. Not sure what one even looks like.  :phew:
An old fart.

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46832 on: January 12, 2020, 05:29:54 am »
would you giv fünfhundert Euro for a 5245L + 3 Plugins  BU?

too expensiv..

i got my  for 50€

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46833 on: January 12, 2020, 07:16:44 am »
grr. Amazon.ca has none of the awesome of Amazon.com; EVERYTHING is a fucking dicksore doing business with them. I swear all the suck floats uphill. |O

mnem
arrg.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46834 on: January 12, 2020, 07:32:30 am »
Matt, 50,- is lucky moments, I will be rather fast then.

btw. do you have some pics from the 567 for the friends here?

Martin

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46835 on: January 12, 2020, 07:35:51 am »
Mixed bag of a day here. As of now my playing around trying to get Bluetooth Mics and such going has disappeared my native Motherboard Bluetooth  :palm: Running fine on a dongle one I had laying around. Windows solution is NIL because I apparently NOW don't have a Bluetooth chip on my MB  |O Funny but it has been working fine it just appears as a hidden device with zero options on drivers or removal. Removed the Intel/Bluetooth package and reinstalled for no change so it is now a tomorrow job.

Ordered one of these too eBay auction: #324030959176 for the next streaming session that and a few of my Chinese suppliers in particular want to practice their English via Skype rather than use email :-// Cheap and cheerful but eposvox on youtube made it sound good but his voice helps a lot. If nothing else stands and arms for other projects is a worst case for the few $

Beer and Food time  :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46836 on: January 12, 2020, 08:24:46 am »
Or you could write "for indication only" on a sticker, stick that on the top and pretend it's fine. That has a LOT of mileage believe it or not.

I should try that one on the alarm clock...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46837 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:34 am »
Seems to work for my teenagers  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46838 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:17 am »

Ordered one of these too eBay auction: #324030959176 for the next streaming session that and a few of my Chinese suppliers in particular want to practice their English via Skype rather than use email :-// Cheap and cheerful but eposvox on youtube made it sound good but his voice helps a lot. If nothing else stands and arms for other projects is a worst case for the few $

I'd get a real audio interface with a balanced microphone input capable of phantom supply to go with that, and ditch the USB dongle and the 3,5mm cable. Then you'll discover there's difference between the good and bad Chinese microphones. Some of them, like the Studio Projects B1, do an at-the-price-point impressive job capturing audio. 

And then you'll discover the truth about condenser microphones, well, it's like in the Zappa song[0], "Some of the really good ones come from over there"; their makers speak German...

As a matter of fact, The Holy Grail of condenser microphony, the Neumann U47 (which was sold under the Telefunken brand in the USA) is mentioned in the song. The U47 is the reason all those China microphones look the same, they are trying to mimic the U47.  Of course, the U47 is a valve microphone, using an unobtanium VF14 pentode, so acts just like the Devices we're more commonly talking about in here. 

Without even bordering audiophoolery, pro audio is a rabbit hole in and of itself, comparable to TEA.

0: The reference is to Joe's Garage Act II, Scenes 9 & 10. Parental guidance is recommended when enjoying these lyrics.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46839 on: January 12, 2020, 09:33:47 am »
Agreed a better input box would be worth it but for a bit of a plaything I will start here. It would be easy to drop $100-200 pesos but this will do for now.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46840 on: January 12, 2020, 09:39:18 am »

At this point, it would be less assache to make the 8800As match the SDM3055.

After all, that WAS kind of the point of getting that particular bit of new hawtness, anyways. ;)

mnem
*passes out on the keyboard* whatthemrmphllmpppphhhhhhh...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:40:57 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46841 on: January 12, 2020, 10:01:37 am »

After all, that WAS kind of the point of getting that particular bit of new hawtness, anyways. ;)

mnem
Nope, then med would have to massage his reference too !  :scared:
F**king rabbit holes ! ! !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46842 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:50 am »

mnem
Nope, then med would have to massage his reference too !  :scared:
F**king rabbit holes ! ! !  :horse:

References....plural. That's how I know the Siglent is off.  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46843 on: January 12, 2020, 10:22:28 am »
So I slept last night with the bedroom window open because it's 17 degrees C outside. Yes, in January it's 17 C.  :o

I wake up at 3 AM to yelling and crying in the parking lot. The couple upstairs had a party last night. Turns out little Miss blondie beanpole got drunk. And she's not a "happy drunk", she's a "crying and yelling" drunk. And her BF is unsuccessfully trying to calm her down. But she just continues to yell and cry. He finally gets her back inside.

I can't resist. Gonna have some fun with this. Later this morning at around 10 AM or so I'm going to have a Rush dedication. Loud.  :-DD I can just imagine the reaction of little Miss Blondie beanpole hung over and puking. Her BF is gonna hate me.  :P :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46844 on: January 12, 2020, 10:31:03 am »
LMAO sounds like round here. One of our neighbours is like that. Turn up back home around 2AM to a massive argument. They are Polish but they use English swear words and insults so you can get the idea  :-DD

If you want to piss off someone who feels sick, cook bacon  :-DD

Edit: today's project .... FSK modulated digital transmission line using two old rancid CD4046's.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:35:20 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46845 on: January 12, 2020, 10:40:55 am »
LMAO sounds like round here. One of our neighbours is like that. Turn up back home around 2AM to a massive argument. They are Polish but they use English swear words and insults so you can get the idea  :-DD

Edit: today's project .... FSK modulated digital transmission line using two old rancid CD4046's.

Well, she won't smell the bacon but she'll definitely hear this when I crank all 3 amplifiers plus a sub-woofer.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46846 on: January 12, 2020, 10:44:47 am »
@bitseeker et al - thanks for the discord - sound issues on my end (mainly microphone) - I think mainly because I started in the car hands-free using Android Auto and then hopped out, and tautech's comments on the blog were helpful - I think there is a bit of a delay in the Southern Hemisphere - not unexpectedly!
It's a good time of day for me.
Rob (Adelaide - South Australia)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46847 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:52 am »

Well, she won't smell the bacon but she'll definitely hear this when I crank all 3 amplifiers plus a sub-woofer.  :-DD

Hahahaha. If you want to piss them off properly, stuff this on: S.A.M. - Bull Fuсking Shit. I occasionally pipe that via the ass end of my HK Onyx (which is incidentally ridiculously loud and bassy) up our shared chimney to make a point :-DD

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46848 on: January 12, 2020, 10:57:12 am »
Matt, 50,- is lucky moments, I will be rather fast then.

btw. do you have some pics from the 567 for the friends here?

Martin

here..

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, edavid, kj7e, bd139, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46849 on: January 12, 2020, 11:35:57 am »

The rabbit hole is only as deep as you allow it to be, its a question of mind over matter, how much difference does it make when your measuring voltage rails etc if the meter is a few Millie volts out. How often when trying to diagnose a new scope or something do you read the schematic and SM and discover that it specifies one of rails as being 16V and if it reads 15.8 or 16.2V we all deem it to be OK. So really it's only a matter of vanity to pursue the accuracy to the nth degree in reality for 99.9999999% of us all. There may well some dedicated situations where that is required but I seriously doubt any of us on the forum actually need it. It wasn't that long ago that the older members will recall we had to make do with analogue meters whose accuracy was for the best, about +/- 3% and then we had to cope with the impedance (20,000 \$\Omega\$ v 10,000,000 \$\Omega\$ for DMM) loading the circuit under test.  >:D >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf