Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17266383 times)

Jambalaya and 86 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46800 on: January 11, 2020, 08:06:23 pm »
Hey guys, I'm hoping for some advise.

My lab is pretty modest.  I am nearing completion on the restoration of a Tek 2445 which, when calibrated, will be the nicest scope in the house.  I don't really have the equipment to verify the calibration however.  My "signal generator" is an old Lyons interlab SQ10 that I just don't trust.  There is an HP 200CD here waiting for caps that, if calibrated might suffice but there again, certainly not the thing on which to base my whole labs accuracy in its current state.

It is the age old problem, the root of all TEA really, without access to an external calibration lab where do you start?

So, I need a signal generator trustworthy enough to provide timing and amplitude to calibrate my other equipment.  Given that everything here is at least 30 years old I don't think it has to be too fancy, and I am, of course, on a budget, but something I can trust to get me pretty close.

What would you guys suggest I get in this situation?
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46801 on: January 11, 2020, 08:34:41 pm »
Well, it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

How about a GPSDO as your frequency reference? Then, put that output into a frequency counter's clock input and measure the output of the sig gen that you want to calibrate. Alternatively, you could feed the GPSDO and sig gen outputs into a sufficiently fast scope to see when they sync up.

There's also the beat-frequency method using a radio receiver and a source such WWV or an equivalent in your area.

Depending on the sig gen frequency range and method, you may have to scale down some of these reference signals.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:37:28 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46802 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:26 pm »
Or you could write "for indication only" on a sticker, stick that on the top and pretend it's fine. That has a LOT of mileage believe it or not.

Definitely not joining the podcast today. Sitting in McDonalds at the moment half way home  :--

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46803 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:23 pm »
I made it out of bed and the first preparation C is going in at T minus 10.

The 5am Possums of three hours ago need to be Exported to New Zealand for 'treatment' ......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, WattsThat

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46804 on: January 11, 2020, 09:37:09 pm »

What would you guys suggest I get in this situation?

The GPSDO+counter suggestion  is probably your best bet for frequency. It is impressive what even modest devices can achieve when given a reference.

For amplitude, with the 2445 in mind, you're probably looking at a ballpark of say 1% observable accuracy on voltage, and most modern DMMen keep within that pretty easily. If you've not yet gotten a respectable DMM, that is what I'd get first, and only then I'd get something to calibrate it with. DC and AC reference (as well as current and resistance) are probably best served  by a DMMCheck Plus or similar. 

There are two stands to take here -- do you need your devices to agree and be reasonably right in the absolute sense, or do you absolutely, verifiably need to know how off you are from NIST / RiSE / NPL ?  The former is probably the most useful while the latter is the mark of a true volt-nut. Or the burden of someone who gets paid to prove they're within spec.

Finally, one can argue that this is not a post that follows the TEA party line. If a true believer did this, s/he would get a calibrator of the highest quality (and weight, with Nixies and so forth). And then something to calibrate the calibrator. Et cetera ad infinitem. But we're all small first. The growth is in itself a part of the TEA coming-of-age.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46805 on: January 11, 2020, 09:45:56 pm »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46806 on: January 11, 2020, 09:49:16 pm »
I totally get it that there is no bottom to the rabbit hole.

I did fail to mention the HP 8640B here, again in an unknown state of cal.  Perhaps for now I will compare that with the 2445 and if they reasonably agree put the "for indication only" sticker on  ;)
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46807 on: January 11, 2020, 10:26:53 pm »
Well guys, feeling pretty miffed TBH at the moment, been after another Thurlby Bench PL320 or a PL310 single supply to sit alongside my other one. Been a few on eBay and some in a Ramco auction that I was looking at. The Ramco ones really went for silly money IMO, as you know, they never show them powered, and they had the appearance of having sat around for years with a wonderful dust coat on them all. One of them (PL320) went for £74 with another £20 carriage, so I'm guessing that it was someone who was inexperienced and just got caught up in the excitement of the moment and was determined to win at all costs  :palm:

There was a faulty PL310 on the bay that I thought I had a good chance of getting and I think I would have done had I been braver with my maximum bid, I put £24 max on it in last few seconds it went up to £25 as I was typing in my revised bid and it flashed up to say that I needed to go £27 and then it closed, so I might have won it had I put that in at the start. I'm reluctant to go crazy money on these as I know that they can come up for reasonable money, I got one at Christmas for £35 working well and its a PL320 (2A).

So I think I'll just have to lurk and wait for another to appear and try again, I'm not desperate, I have a couple Chinese 30v 5A ones on the bench at the moment as well which have served me well and perform well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:28:29 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46808 on: January 11, 2020, 10:35:26 pm »
RE: Our first Discord meet. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. :-+  But it seems our pals in OZ and NZ had the most audio issues. Is it internet, distance, equipment or perhaps of combo of all?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #46809 on: January 11, 2020, 10:40:39 pm »
RE: Our first Discord meet. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. :-+  But it seems our pals in OZ and NZ had the most audio issues. Is it internet, distance, equipment or perhaps of combo of all?  :-//

FUUU I missed it, I had guets at dinner and a snowboard day behind me.
Next time next time.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46810 on: January 11, 2020, 10:52:11 pm »

Seems there is a quirk with the Microsoft Lifecam 3000 and discord and my cheapy Chinese bluetooth earbuds/mic has never worked on W10 as far as the Mic goes. I will have a look at some sort of dedicated usb Microphone while I am in town shopping today.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46811 on: January 11, 2020, 10:56:44 pm »
No issues here with the audio coming in Med only my old POS mic HW stopped me from getting in on the fun.
Gunna install Discord on a laptop for now and use its mic until I can get something working on the workstation.

Rob (in Perth IIRC) had issues with a few getting heard but Bean and I had no probs.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46812 on: January 11, 2020, 11:02:43 pm »
At first I thought I could hear everyone.  Then it seemed everyone but one dropped out. That was mostly dead air. So I logged out then signed back in. When I finally got back to TEA I could hear everyone again.

Next time I'll try that if there is a problem. Also discord complained about my mic possible because it was muted?
An old fart.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46813 on: January 11, 2020, 11:16:11 pm »
Just got home. Boo hiss. Missed it all  :--  :'(

Well guys, feeling pretty miffed TBH at the moment, been after another Thurlby Bench PL320 or a PL310 single supply to sit alongside my other one. Been a few on eBay and some in a Ramco auction that I was looking at. The Ramco ones really went for silly money IMO, as you know, they never show them powered, and they had the appearance of having sat around for years with a wonderful dust coat on them all. One of them (PL320) went for £74 with another £20 carriage, so I'm guessing that it was someone who was inexperienced and just got caught up in the excitement of the moment and was determined to win at all costs  :palm:

There was a faulty PL310 on the bay that I thought I had a good chance of getting and I think I would have done had I been braver with my maximum bid, I put £24 max on it in last few seconds it went up to £25 as I was typing in my revised bid and it flashed up to say that I needed to go £27 and then it closed, so I might have won it had I put that in at the start. I'm reluctant to go crazy money on these as I know that they can come up for reasonable money, I got one at Christmas for £35 working well and its a PL320 (2A).

So I think I'll just have to lurk and wait for another to appear and try again, I'm not desperate, I have a couple Chinese 30v 5A ones on the bench at the moment as well which have served me well and perform well.

Honestly I think all the best deals on the PL supplies are around hamfests. They seem to come up in large quantities around 30-40 a pop and are shown working (when there's power available). There were 5-6 of them at Kempton last year for that price range. Either that or snagging them on ebay.

The first one I got years ago was a new grey PL330 which I got for £26 in a mixed lot because it was buyer collect somewhere near Carshalton. Proper win that was as the lot contained a crap load of other stuff which I didn't need but sold on ebay and made about £100 back as well  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46814 on: January 11, 2020, 11:49:12 pm »
I was actually gifted a position of nobility a while back which means I should be referred as lord bd139.
(This could be entertaining....  >:D )

The territory is somewhat disputed and the legitimacy dubious though
That sounds about right.
I would have also suggested to select a less crappy transistor for a name before invoking such titles.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46815 on: January 12, 2020, 12:12:29 am »
I was actually gifted a position of nobility a while back which means I should be referred as lord bd139.

A paparazzi took a picture of Lord's bd139 curves, excited to see a calculator

907582-0

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46816 on: January 12, 2020, 12:24:59 am »
Martin, what is that slider under the Nixie display?

That is the resolution knob, all Nixies right side from the knob are always Zero.

Ooh, I like that - a proper 'intuitive' user interface.

Intuitive in quotes because when most people call a UI 'intuitive' they mean "just the the ones I've learned before" rather than "follows from innate knowledge".
Yes, R&S is very special there. Same as their notation on the power supplies for the control potentiometers range/span.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46817 on: January 12, 2020, 12:59:09 am »

Yeah, that was a hoot. Great meeting everyone. Many had some audio issues, myself included. Disconnecting from the Discord voice channel and reconnecting seems to be a good first step at rectification of sudden audio issues.

I checked a bit of the recording and my mic sounds really quiet, although it was fine during my initial check. I recorded with 24-bit samples, so hopefully there's enough dynamic range to amplify it without too much noise.

The consensus seemed to be to have the next one in a couple of weeks.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #46818 on: January 12, 2020, 01:06:59 am »

Yeah, that was a hoot. Great meeting everyone. Many had some audio issues, myself included. Disconnecting from the Discord voice channel and reconnecting seems to be a good first step at rectification of sudden audio issues.

Oh crap I missed it! Sorry Bitseeker I apologize.  |O

I guess I'll have to put the next one in my calendar.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46819 on: January 12, 2020, 01:09:26 am »
No worries! It was an experiment. ;)

Offline supperman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46820 on: January 12, 2020, 01:19:41 am »
I'm new here... but I have a problem..

Every time my handheld multimeter does the timeout beep and shuts off I'm reminded that I really really need a Bench DMM.. and then I'm reminded that it really needs to be 5.5,.. I mean 6.5 digits because that clearly is important.. and then I'm reminded that my MDO3054 with all options has a useless DMM AND then that it does not have a time-integrated Spectrum Analyzer (It just has a standalone 3Ghz SA) and that I really need an MDO4k (no haters please, Dave) even though I have not yet actually done real "work" with the SA yet..

So clearly I need to buy that Bench DMM so I'm not longer reminded of the MDO4K issue since them things are expensive?
Make sense?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46821 on: January 12, 2020, 01:28:27 am »
Welcome!

Yes, makes sense. The first step is always the hardest. Get the bench DMM and the rest will come naturally. ;D

Be sure to post pics of your new (to you) DMM!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, supperman

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46822 on: January 12, 2020, 02:09:29 am »
I'm new here... but I have a problem..

Every time my handheld multimeter does the timeout beep and shuts off I'm reminded that I really really need a Bench DMM.. and then I'm reminded that it really needs to be 5.5,.. I mean 6.5 digits because that clearly is important.. and then I'm reminded that my MDO3054 with all options has a useless DMM AND then that it does not have a time-integrated Spectrum Analyzer (It just has a standalone 3Ghz SA) and that I really need an MDO4k (no haters please, Dave) even though I have not yet actually done real "work" with the SA yet..

So clearly I need to buy that Bench DMM so I'm not longer reminded of the MDO4K issue since them things are expensive?
Make sense?

Lucky for you you are in the land of secondhand TEA a plenty unlike those of us from distant shores  :) The hard part will be choosing which one but we are here to help ENABLE your budding addiction  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46823 on: January 12, 2020, 02:23:24 am »
I totally get it that there is no bottom to the rabbit hole.

I did fail to mention the HP 8640B here, again in an unknown state of cal.  Perhaps for now I will compare that with the 2445 and if they reasonably agree put the "for indication only" sticker on  ;)

I wouldn't even do that. If they are reasonably close run them as is. No sticker. But you'll have to decide the definition of "reasonably close". Do you think that every Tek scope I have here is fully calibrated to factory specs? Hell no. Are they "reasonably close"? Hell yes. The 3 important parameters to me are sweep speed accuracy, vertical accuracy, and compensation accuracy. All can be easily achieved "reasonably close" with standard equipment. I don't have the thousands of dollars of equipment to do a factory spec cal and I don't care.

The only time I do sticker something is equipment I KNOW is out of spec. For example: The DMM option on the 2465 DMS. I know the ACV is out of spec. I don't have the equipment required to calibrate it so it's stickered as "not calibrated". 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mc1822

• Contributor
« Reply #46824 on: January 12, 2020, 03:26:08 am »
I keep telling my wife that it's "audio gear" and she keeps telling me I have too much! Then I ask her if I can buy a few pieces of test gear to maintain my "audio gear" and I'm good for another year before she catches on!   :-DD
It IS the volts!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf