Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18201041 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46650 on: January 10, 2020, 12:27:07 am »
Panaplex, baby!!

Damn. Beat me to it :)

Eventually I'll get my mitts on one with nixies, but they tend to go for more than I'm willing to spend on a calculator...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46651 on: January 10, 2020, 12:28:47 am »
My close friend, runs a small farm, swears by Milwaukee, they are heavy, tough but I find they are clumsy to use. Too heavy /industrial. He totally neglects his tools, I have not seen one that isn't grimey, covered in paint and plaster. His assortment of drills is an old drawer with them all lying randomly.
I have had a good run with Makita LXT 18V but see they are coming out with a GXT 40V.

Warning general ramble on Power tool purchasing follows  ::)

The issue is when you start down a path with cordless tools you are more or less locked into a brand so it is a leap of faith for the future of sorts.

Very happy with my Makita 18V Drill, Driver, Grinder and fairly recent Router and the 5Ah batteries I got. I wanted at the time sensibly priced better than home handyman quality. The Sander isn't a consideration here as the run time won't cut it I suspect.

Ryobi and their low priced Ilk are just crud when it comes to Battery powered so never considered.

AEG, Hitachi, Bosch and some of thew other Brands are not widely available at least locally so I didn't look to hard but the first cordless drill I owned for a very long time was AEG/National followed by a Hitachi both did stellar service over decades of use.

In OZ Milwakee, Dewalt are only fairly recent arrivals and were heavily pushed into the tradie market and I considered them OTT on price for my needs at the time. Festerool cordless is overpriced to hell and no better than others.

Corded tools I am far less concerned about brand, function for $ with a decent warranty are the important bits.

The Bosch PDB40 drill is at least locally unique and ticked all the boxes for me, my old double reduction belt drive drill was at junk strict grotty metalwork level. The Digital functionality seems to be getting around elsewhere in the world on the heavier bigger ones but not here yet.

Looking at the current sander replacement the selective gear drive random orbital ones make a lot of sense but the $ are very high (Festertool, Makita, Bosch). So at this stage I will give them a pass I think so Puke Coloured Ryobi variable speed it is unless it feels rubbish in the hand when I go look tomorrow with Makita and Bosch as more expensive fallbacks.

Time for more coffee after 3am and 5am possums....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46652 on: January 10, 2020, 01:17:35 am »
Not sure if I should join or not. Will post my link. What do you think. Do I have this, or is it just Lyme Disease?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rv7WNBPM61PsdLpj7

Thanks for your input.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, VK5RC, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, nixiefreqq, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46653 on: January 10, 2020, 01:22:17 am »
Not sure if I should join or not. Will post my link. What do you think. Do I have this, or is it just Lyme Disease?

Thanks for your input.

@med will approve at least. It's so very very smurftastic.  ;)

Lyme disease has a cure as yet TEA has not and I am not really aware of sufferers wanting one  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Larryc001

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46654 on: January 10, 2020, 01:22:48 am »

Thanks for your input.
Wow, with a collection like that you certainly belong here and you definitely have it alright, you be at home here I assure you   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46655 on: January 10, 2020, 01:23:39 am »
Panaplex, baby!!

Damn. Beat me to it :)

Eventually I'll get my mitts on one with nixies, but they tend to go for more than I'm willing to spend on a calculator...

-Pat

hey.....that panaplex is pretty damn cool.   did they make any of those desktop units with an EE button and trig functions?

would be willing to give up some bench space if they did. 

(am not gonna' go to ebay to look.  am not gonna' go to ebay to look.  am NOT gonna')

see you later guys.......have to go.......but not to ebay.......honest.
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46656 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:14 am »

Thanks for your input.

You belong here.  :-+ :-+

And you put my collection of Tek scopes to shame.  :o :-DD

Edit...I just restored my first 535A. Read back a few pages or go to the POI at the beginning of the thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:05:06 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46657 on: January 10, 2020, 02:11:52 am »
Very nice 531. I would take that off your hands in a NYC minute.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46658 on: January 10, 2020, 02:26:12 am »
I waited patiently for years finding a 500 series that was reasonably priced and within driving distance. You would have to claw it out of my cold, dead hands.  :P :-DD

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46659 on: January 10, 2020, 02:32:31 am »
Sorry called it a 531. Different thread. Yes it is sweet. Have you used it much since you finished it? Those big boxes are really what drew me to Tektronix, although I first fell in love with a 504.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46660 on: January 10, 2020, 02:39:15 am »
Sorry called it a 531. Different thread. Yes it is sweet. Have you used it much since you finished it? Those big boxes are really what drew me to Tektronix, although I first fell in love with a 504.

I've put it thru several burn-in cycles to ring out any possible issues. The only issue so far is the CA plug-in is drifty on both channels. Damn DC balance is real touchy. I have a spare CA plug-in coming. But it's going in the wrong direction. It originated in Portland, Oregon and went to Seattle. That's even further West. Perhaps to catch a plane to JFK? Hope so (I'm in NYS).

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46661 on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:38 am »
The ca is unstable as far as dc balance goes. I think it is caused by aging in the 12AU6 tubes. Tek aged these tubes for many hours before using them, so replacing them with unaged tubes doesn’t help. They switched to the 8426 at around serial number 60,000 but doesn’t really seem much better.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46662 on: January 10, 2020, 03:01:55 am »
The ca is unstable as far as dc balance goes. I think it is caused by aging in the 12AU6 tubes. Tek aged these tubes for many hours before using them, so replacing them with unaged tubes doesn’t help. They switched to the 8426 at around serial number 60,000 but doesn’t really seem much better.

Yea, I agree. What I hope to do with the spare CA plug-in is match up the best set of 12AU6's for the least amount of drift. But what doesn't help is the DC balance control itself is sealed and can't get Deoxit in there. And both are a little noisy. I may wind up prying them open to get them cleaned.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #46663 on: January 10, 2020, 03:22:16 am »

Thanks for your input.

dude you are obviously completely insane.

so, yeah, you belong here. welcome.     :-+
specialization is for insects.

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46664 on: January 10, 2020, 03:55:41 am »
[quote author=med6753
Yea, I agree. What I hope to do with the spare CA plug-in is match up the best set of 12AU6's for the least amount of drift. But what doesn't help is the DC balance control itself is sealed and can't get Deoxit in there. And both are a little noisy. I may wind up prying them open to get them cleaned.
[/quote]

I have has success with drilling a tiny hole in the case of the A-B pot. Dip the drill in grease or Vaseline to hold the cuttings.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46665 on: January 10, 2020, 04:00:26 am »
His is only 202 units after mine! Nifty.

In the past, I saw a 53310A with option 031. Didn't realize it had the downconverter and increased sampling rate, too. Thanks for the doc.

LOL - just saw this post - looks like yours is even older.  You may have the 347th one off the line.  They're siblings!   :-DD

Yep, an extended family of test gear.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46666 on: January 10, 2020, 04:07:32 am »
Well that truce didn't last long.  :P

Calculators Wars......round 3.  :-DD

Panaplex, baby!!

(This is, of course, another e-bay special in my repair queue - note that the LSD is out.  Hoping it's a driver transistor, but haven't opened it up to look yet.)

We must shop at the same places. :-DD I've got one, too, but mine has a non-functional '4' key. :scared: I got it primarily for the display, but if it can function again, even better.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46667 on: January 10, 2020, 04:10:02 am »
[quote author=med6753

I have has success with drilling a tiny hole in the case of the A-B pot. Dip the drill in grease or Vaseline to hold the cuttings.
[/quote]

That's an excellent idea. I may try that.  :-+

And here's a tip for you. It's not a perfect match to Tek blue but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference when stand alone.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46668 on: January 10, 2020, 04:12:14 am »

Thanks for your input.

Larry! Glad you came over. I already knew you belonged here when I saw the post of your collection in the other thread. ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46669 on: January 10, 2020, 04:15:33 am »
You would have to claw it out of my cold, blue stained, dead hands.  :P :-DD

There, FTFY.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #46670 on: January 10, 2020, 04:16:03 am »
I see on the main page that this thread has just broken 2.2 million views!   :o :o :o

:-+ :-+

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #46671 on: January 10, 2020, 04:30:08 am »

Panaplex, baby!!

(This is, of course, another e-bay special in my repair queue - note that the LSD is out.  Hoping it's a driver transistor, but haven't opened it up to look yet.)

We must shop at the same places. :-DD I've got one, too, but mine has a non-functional '4' key. :scared: I got it primarily for the display, but if it can function again, even better.

On the off chance you don't already have it, a PDF of the service manual can be downloaded from

http://www.datamath.org/Desktop/ti-4000.htm

The link is at the bottom right corner of the table at the top of the page.  Posting in this thread got me looking at it again earlier tonight.  It has schematics and waveforms for troubleshooting and looks to be pretty thorough (though obviously not what we're used to with HP and Tek, of course...)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46672 on: January 10, 2020, 05:26:40 am »
Yep, I did grab it from there, I believe. Thanks!

In case you didn't see it, there's a nice TI-450 at the e-inlet-of-the-sea accepting offers. ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:30:00 am by bitseeker »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46673 on: January 10, 2020, 06:01:03 am »

Panaplex, baby!!      (This is, of course, another e-bay special in my repair queue - note that the LSD is out.  Hoping it's a driver transistor, but haven't opened it up to look yet.)

-Pat

CFL Baybeee!!! And it runs on a 9V battery!!!  :-DD

There is something special about this and the TI-25; they were my very first calculator which I got in the student kit along with the Great International Math on Keys Book, which taught me more about Math than 6 years of my public education. :palm:

There's an oddball thing about these calculators: the VFD has a hair-thin exciter wire that runs across the center of the entire tube; with a fresh battery it ever-so-faintly glows a dull red which you can really only see in a dark room. Of course, you can't much use it that way, so most people never notice I'm sure.

But I noticed. And late at night, all alone upstairs in a cold, dark house with the winter wind howling through the trees outside, I would pick it up from the bedside table and thumb the soft-power switch (a tiny but fabulous invention that boggled my adolescent mind) by feel... Gazing into the screen I'd press buttons randomly to light the segments... taking comfort in the juxtaposition of its futuristic blue symbols against the familiar red glow of incandescent wire.

mnem
*4-banger dwagon*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:21:45 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46674 on: January 10, 2020, 06:28:55 am »

Thanks for your input.

A web album that requires javascript from another site. (I do not allow that, by default, so am hyper-sensitized) And, by magic, my browser logged me in. To look at pictures.

What has the world come to?

Yes, this qualifies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf