Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17280516 times)

pamphonica and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46625 on: January 09, 2020, 11:50:30 am »
I will continue with a low cost restoration: 427A  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46626 on: January 09, 2020, 03:02:02 pm »
Neither green nor blue Bosch-Frosch on a drill press. ALZMETALL
Leck mich, those are so expensive but high quality.
I've always had a soft spot for Rockwell-Delta; but nowadays any worth owning are a restoration project in their own right. Having used a few mills with handwheel/speed handle controls (some almost as big as a steering wheel), the "baby buggy wheel" on that Bosch doesn't bother me a bit. :-// I would drill/tap it for a speed handle or three, tho.

mnem
*currently debugging my wetware*
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:04:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46627 on: January 09, 2020, 03:09:22 pm »
Because you cant get a new pad to replace it with so it is dead and flogged  :horse: . A replacement Ryobi with variable speed is about $70USD locally much as I would like the Bosch gear drive the extra $ are a bit tough to justify.

Do you get free sunglasses with it to protect you from the vile green glare for that $70? :-)

Lucky I am colourblind and not prejudiced ;) I can buy a DeWalt (colour is no better) or a Makita for over twice the price at the localish store.

My current favourite make, based on past performance of things I've owned for a long time, is Makita - even if they do come in a rather disgusting teal colour. I have a small Ryobi driver, which has worked well for the seven years I've owned it and is fortunately small enough that it doesn't burn my retinas out when I use it. Bosch (green or blue) are at the bottom of my list based on failure rates, along with Milwaukee on the completely unscientific basis that I might be prepared to be seen using tools of any colour (even bright pink) but I draw the line at looking like I'm holding a Tonka Toy when I'm exercising my Manly-man skills.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46628 on: January 09, 2020, 03:18:07 pm »
IMHO, and in bean's defense... in a working shop, ANY handheld power tool turns ash/slag/grime grey in no time, so fuck the color it came in. :-DD

mnem
I prefer equipment that says "I am a tool USER!" over that which says "I am a TOOL!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46629 on: January 09, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
Neither green nor blue Bosch-Frosch on a drill press.
ALZMETALL

This is their price list (in english):
https://www.alzmetall.de/alzmetall/fileadmin/pdfs/PL65en.pdf

Their website:
https://www.alzmetall.de/alzmetall/index.php?id=7&L=1

Man, their LED lamp costs more than my PDB40  :scared:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46630 on: January 09, 2020, 06:40:24 pm »
Neither green nor blue Bosch-Frosch on a drill press.
ALZMETALL

This is their price list (in english):
https://www.alzmetall.de/alzmetall/fileadmin/pdfs/PL65en.pdf

Their website:
https://www.alzmetall.de/alzmetall/index.php?id=7&L=1

Man, their LED lamp costs more than my PDB40  :scared:
Well, yes. I do not have one, as I can not have a metal workshop here too - so for the few occasions where I have to do something immediately, I make do with a stand for my Fein hand drill.
But I would not have suggested to throw that money at them - two guys that I know have one and both were aquired second hand.
And here it is the same as with TE - the quality of professional products allow to do that and there is some support beyond the period of sale.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46631 on: January 09, 2020, 06:57:48 pm »
IMHO, and in bean's defense... in a working shop, ANY handheld power tool turns ash/slag/grime grey in no time, so fuck the color it came in. :-DD

Well, if you're Stig of The Dump, OK, but some of us occasionally clean up after ourselves.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46632 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:20 pm »
You can spend your time polishing your drill if you want; I'd rather spend my time gettin' it dirty.  >:D

mnem
"I am a dirty, dirty widdle welder-dwagon... I have neglected my tool and I musst be pew-nish-ed..." };=)~~~~<
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:46:48 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46633 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:24 pm »
Because you cant get a new pad to replace it with so it is dead and flogged  :horse: . A replacement Ryobi with variable speed is about $70USD locally much as I would like the Bosch gear drive the extra $ are a bit tough to justify.

Do you get free sunglasses with it to protect you from the vile green glare for that $70? :-)

Lucky I am colourblind and not prejudiced ;) I can buy a DeWalt (colour is no better) or a Makita for over twice the price at the localish store.

My current favourite make, based on past performance of things I've owned for a long time, is Makita - even if they do come in a rather disgusting teal colour. I have a small Ryobi driver, which has worked well for the seven years I've owned it and is fortunately small enough that it doesn't burn my retinas out when I use it. Bosch (green or blue) are at the bottom of my list based on failure rates, along with Milwaukee on the completely unscientific basis that I might be prepared to be seen using tools of any colour (even bright pink) but I draw the line at looking like I'm holding a Tonka Toy when I'm exercising my Manly-man skills.
On hand-held power tools:
Makita is generally highly rated by all contractors and tradespeople, along with Hilti and Festool.
Baier, Flex, Duss and Elu were good names here too, but Elu is Blarrgh&Ducker now. I think I am missing one, but can't get to it. All the others were somewhat tainted by their DIY product lines.

When I did need some power tools, I followed the sum of the professional recommendations and bought FEIN. They have a reputation of being suitable for industrial use and good service.
I have a drill, a cordless screwdriver and an angle grinder from them. For the angle grinder, I was looking first at a original 'Flex', but my toolmonger showed me the then new 115mm Fein with keyless collet and I was sold on it. They served me well and still do. Of course, I will never use that drill on masonry or stone, because the abrasive dust will kill any drill. Got a nice keyless chuck on it from Albrecht (was told to skip Roehm for it - in the US it would be Jacobs maybe). For the mounting and fixing stuff, I use a AEG Pneumatic 2000, as any percussive drill which is not pneumatic should be considered a toy and my frequency of use did not justify a Hilti.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46634 on: January 09, 2020, 08:45:24 pm »
My close friend, runs a small farm, swears by Milwaukee, they are heavy, tough but I find they are clumsy to use. Too heavy /industrial. He totally neglects his tools, I have not seen one that isn't grimey, covered in paint and plaster. His assortment of drills is an old drawer with them all lying randomly.
I have had a good run with Makita LXT 18V but see they are coming out with a GXT 40V.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46635 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:56 pm »
oh no!

one of my counters died.   did a reseat on the boards and it came back to life (poor old thing).

was so happy that i took its picture.

also included a proper calculator so that bd and oculus will know what one looks like.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, beanflying

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46636 on: January 09, 2020, 09:14:37 pm »
On hand-held power tools:
Makita is generally highly rated by all contractors and tradespeople, along with Hilti and Festool.
Baier, Flex, Duss and Elu were good names here too, but Elu is Blarrgh&Ducker now. I think I am missing one, but can't get to it. All the others were somewhat tainted by their DIY product lines.

Perhaps you have Mafell in your mind?
https://www.mafell.de/en/

Hitachi builds very nice tools as well. Metabo belongs to them.

When I did need some power tools, I followed the sum of the professional recommendations and bought FEIN. They have a reputation of being suitable for industrial use and good service.
I have a drill, a cordless screwdriver and an angle grinder from them. For the angle grinder, I was looking first at a original 'Flex', but my toolmonger showed me the then new 115mm Fein with keyless collet and I was sold on it. They served me well and still do. Of course, I will never use that drill on masonry or stone, because the abrasive dust will kill any drill. Got a nice keyless chuck on it from Albrecht (was told to skip Roehm for it - in the US it would be Jacobs maybe). For the mounting and fixing stuff, I use a AEG Pneumatic 2000, as any percussive drill which is not pneumatic should be considered a toy and my frequency of use did not justify a Hilti.

Jepp. I can second that, especially the FEIN part.  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46637 on: January 09, 2020, 09:18:30 pm »
oh no!

one of my counters died.   did a reseat on the boards and it came back to life (poor old thing).

also included a proper calculator so that bd and oculus will know what one looks like.

Very nice counter, indeed.  :-+
And it has a big advantage: it let look the TI much nicer than in the second picture.  :box:  >:D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:26:11 pm by BU508A »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46638 on: January 09, 2020, 09:26:51 pm »

"poor man's calculator"  :-DD

Having issues with counter here as well. Thought I'd look at the Heathkit IB-1100 this evening and work out why it doesn't count. I put the most significant digit nixie in the broken one's hole and have been running it off function generator. Well it turns out there are some problems! It counts but doesn't make a damn bit of sense. I've had the logic analyser on it and it's good until it hits the latches and then it's garbage out. As yet i am stumped. .

Flashback. Last one of these I had someone had destroyed the timebase trying to repair it. Had to make a new timebase:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46639 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:16 pm »
oh no!

Ver nice counter, indeed.  :-+
And it has a big advantage: it let look the TI much nicer than in the second picture.  :box:  >:D

hey now.......lets not be hatin' on my classic calculator.

can't we all just get along?
free range primate

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #46640 on: January 09, 2020, 09:53:39 pm »
It's hard to like an LCD calculator, LEDs are so much better. 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46641 on: January 09, 2020, 10:10:06 pm »

HP 37E for example?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46642 on: January 09, 2020, 10:12:04 pm »
oh no!

Ver nice counter, indeed.  :-+

hey now.......lets not be hatin' on my classic calculator.

can't we all just get along?

Sorry, I had no intention to offend you.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46643 on: January 09, 2020, 10:21:16 pm »

HP 37E for example?

well that will never work.

it is missing a key.  musta' fallen off. 

you should look around for it.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46644 on: January 09, 2020, 10:40:41 pm »
<——————

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46645 on: January 09, 2020, 10:50:28 pm »

lcd?   or were you just messin' with me?

edit....please remember.....i am OLD, and easily confused.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:16:26 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46646 on: January 09, 2020, 11:35:21 pm »
Well that truce didn't last long.  :P

Calculators Wars......round 3.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46647 on: January 09, 2020, 11:58:24 pm »
Well that truce didn't last long.  :P

Calculators Wars......round 3.  :-DD

Panaplex, baby!!

(This is, of course, another e-bay special in my repair queue - note that the LSD is out.  Hoping it's a driver transistor, but haven't opened it up to look yet.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #46648 on: January 10, 2020, 12:06:48 am »
oh no!

I can't see it over the glow of the nixies....maybe better turn the power off to the counter and try again.  >:D >:D >:D >:D

:-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #46649 on: January 10, 2020, 12:16:41 am »
Panaplex, baby!!

Damn. Beat me to it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf