Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17892373 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46450 on: January 06, 2020, 10:06:29 am »
So seems my Chinese parcels are taking a little detour via Germany  :wtf: |O
Lathe tooling.....yummy !  :)

What's the project Bean ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:20:16 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46451 on: January 06, 2020, 10:18:19 am »
No I have to open and look what is inside. The source of the unit is Hamburg, so I hope it have the 50Hz. What is the different ?
If you find a junk unit, I am still very interested to buy a original Transformer, my rebuild is working but this may be better.

Addendum:

I have found this discussion about another Martin (I think) which seems has ordered somewhere else a manufactured transformer.
Unfortunately, he didn't mention where he ordered it.
https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=326658

If I would have to get a transformer manufactured, I think I would ask those guys:
http://www.strobelt-trafo.de/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46452 on: January 06, 2020, 10:19:41 am »
Warning: I'm replying to a weeks-old posting, as I'm trying to catch up >50 pages

I need a ac transformer for 3456A

If finding a replacement is impossible you could re-wire the transfo. Not a fun job but it's doable. Need to re-wire a 1Kv transfo and I have been procrastinating for a year now  ::) Not a pleasant job indeed.

I also need a new transformer for a 3456A. I did rewire a few transformers in the seventies which told me one lesson: Never ever do that again!
Luckily, my second 3456A works fine, so I'm in no hurry.

If there is no choice to rewire (no spare parts awailable), what could hold one to not even do it?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46453 on: January 06, 2020, 10:20:51 am »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46454 on: January 06, 2020, 10:26:26 am »

Have you checked out this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA/videos
Tick tock tick tock.....far beyond my capabilities !  :scared:

I'm just up to turning the odd shaft or bush or threading a rifle barrel.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46455 on: January 06, 2020, 11:16:43 am »
(Attachment Link)

done  :clap: enough for today.

May I ask, how you did it?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46456 on: January 06, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »
get any transformer wired for 230 primary and a ground shield, with any secondary, 50 Watts is good.

Remove the secondarys, this is possible without removing the core sheets.
The primary is still there, following the ground shield.

turn in:  for around 9V , 2A. must not be exactly, it feeds regulated 5V in the display board.

turn in: a very good isolation, teflonband

turn in: a second shield, it is to connect with GUARD

turn in: a very good isolation, teflonband

turn in: 9V, 0,5A, must not be exactly, it feeds regulated 5V in the inguard aquisition board.

turn in: 2x 17V, 0,5A must not be exactly, it feeds regulated ±15 V in the inguard aquisition board.

connecting plug.

1+6 = 9V 0,5A
2+5 = 17 + 17V
3+4 = center between the 17V cores, connected to GUARD
------------------------------------
9V 2A is to connect to the display board

^-^

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46457 on: January 06, 2020, 01:02:01 pm »
I used listen to the AM'ers on 3.885MHz. Some of those guys had audio quality and dynamic range better than commercial broadcast.

You may even have heard folks like Joe Walsh - WB6ACU.

I haven't listened in many years and perhaps I've heard him. I only recall one call sign....Tim in Vermont (I think). WA1HLR (I think that was his call sign)

Problem with AM'ers is not the quality it's the content :)

Far warmer and more dynamic sounding prostate exams  :-DD

Surprisingly these guys usually stayed on topic re: Ham Radio. Only once in a while rambled into prostate territory.  ;D But they did have a specific net called "The Bitch and Moan Network" where you could vent your spleen and once done the net closed and back on subject.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #46458 on: January 06, 2020, 02:07:58 pm »
I used listen to the AM'ers on 3.885MHz. Some of those guys had audio quality and dynamic range better than commercial broadcast.

I haven't listened in many years and perhaps I've heard him. I only recall one call sign....Tim in Vermont (I think). WA1HLR (I think that was his call sign)

Thats how I sum up Ham Radio as a whole now days, when I was a kid and into my teens (80 and 90's) I learned a lot and enjoyed the technical conversations.  Its really hard to find that now.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46459 on: January 06, 2020, 02:12:45 pm »
Yeah similar. The current conversation content has really put me off things. Specmaster got the full rant in a PM  :-DD. The reason I got into it was because it was a technical subject and an escape from daily life. Unfortunately finding people who want to talk about or even care about the technical side is rare. Apart from that it's just a very difficult to use social network with a hell of a lot of gatekeeping, which I'm certainly not into!

Anyway I've got a cute little HM103 oscilloscope which is on the watch list and only up the road from me at the moment. Will concentrate on that for now :D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46460 on: January 06, 2020, 02:13:03 pm »
This is a post on a clothes dryer.  But it is on-topic. Just before Christmas the clothes dryer didn't. It just growled and got very hot.

903920-0

As you see,
it is beneficial to keep TE around the home,
at least if one wants to avoid paying for service personnel to declare a 12YO dryer bad. An alleged 10µF motor capacitor should measure different from open circuit. I believe.

Also, the "we sell just what you need" company that stocks 3rd party components for white goods want 25 Euros -ish for one. The most expensive electronics supplier we've got in Sweden, Elfa, who are legendary for two things, large stores and insane prices, want 5 Euros. Order is in, and I'll pick up in their store tomorrow.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46461 on: January 06, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »
Yeah similar. The current conversation content has really put me off things. Specmaster got the full rant in a PM  :-DD. The reason I got into it was because it was a technical subject and an escape from daily life. Unfortunately finding people who want to talk about or even care about the technical side is rare. Apart from that it's just a very difficult to use social network with a hell of a lot of gatekeeping, which I'm certainly not into!

Anyway I've got a cute little HM103 oscilloscope which is on the watch list and only up the road from me at the moment. Will concentrate on that for now :D

It can have some advantages if you are familiar with the gatekeeper.  8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46462 on: January 06, 2020, 02:42:46 pm »
Ah yes. I wish I was the keymaster back then  :-DD

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46463 on: January 06, 2020, 02:43:05 pm »

sad but true
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46464 on: January 06, 2020, 02:45:05 pm »
Random thing. Today I have mostly been obsessing over this glorious thing: http://www.glensstuff.com/pong/Oscilloscope_Pong.pdf

Thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/oscilloscope-pong-for-1-or-2-players/

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46465 on: January 06, 2020, 02:52:34 pm »

Have you checked out this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA/videos

Clickspring is indeed amazing.

I would bring to folks attention that, while not the most prolific content creators, one of the most highly regarded youtube machinists is our very own Robin Renzetti

https://www.youtube.com/user/ROBRENZ/videos

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=6155

This guy gets, and deserves, mad respect from such YT machining luminaries as Tom Lippton and Stefan Gotteswinter.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46466 on: January 06, 2020, 04:16:11 pm »
Shahriar has uploaded a new video.  :-+   :)

Edit:
I love to look at all these stacked TE beauties.  ^-^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:24:50 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46467 on: January 06, 2020, 04:28:02 pm »
If I am not mistaken, some of those gentlemen were running plate modulation.

You are definitely not mistaken. I traded a couple of Hammarlund receivers for a crate full of semiconductors with a ham that was restoring a AM broadcast system to use on 75M, transmitter, sound board, the whole works. The man had the knack, not just for electronics but for mechanical design/build.  It sounded great on the air and was a marvel to look at, too.  Talk about tubes with a BIG glow!

I remember as a teenager driving up to the AWA Museum in Bloomfield, NY; at the time several members were engaged in restoring the salvaged contents of a commercial broadcast radio tower (I believe from KDKA, but that may be wishful thinking; it may have been military salvage from Seneca Army Depot) that had been "cold-spare" decommissioned in the '60s. This meant that essentially a functioning 75KW transmitter bunker was "powered down gracefully" and the door locked for 3 decades, while primary transmission was taken over at a completely different location. :o

A quartet of metal & glass jacket water-cooled tubes as tall as I was (okay, maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration ;)) dominated the display, with an amazing maze of Pyrex plumbing, both liquid and electrical, which were employed to "safely" manage the combination of high-voltage and distilled-water (?) coolant; the preamp stages nearby were themselves simply astounding.

I don't know whatever happened to that project; a quick perusal of their site doesn't make any mention of it, so perhaps they successfully brought it online. :-//

mnem
moo?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46468 on: January 06, 2020, 04:40:50 pm »
get any transformer wired for 230 primary and a ground shield, with any secondary, 50 Watts is good.

Remove the secondarys, this is possible without removing the core sheets.
The primary is still there, following the ground shield.

turn in:  for around 9V , 2A. must not be exactly, it feeds regulated 5V in the display board.

In short: You revamped an existing transformer. Just the thing I don't want to do.  ;)

I also don't have any more lacquered wire for that job, so its a non-starter.

Thanks for telling. I was under the impression that you'd found some magic solution.

Good job, hope it serves you well.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46469 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:43 pm »

Thats how I sum up Ham Radio as a whole now days, when I was a kid and into my teens (80 and 90's) I learned a lot and enjoyed the technical conversations.  Its really hard to find that now.

It sounds as if I'm not missing anything. I enjoyed listening to their technical discussions.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46470 on: January 06, 2020, 04:56:13 pm »
but when a HAM have the idea to call on AM it will not be waiting longer time for the first Idiot what tell him about the large use of bandwith ..
They are not always friendly.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46472 on: January 06, 2020, 05:16:39 pm »
Shit. I would have had that in a flash  :-DD

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46473 on: January 06, 2020, 05:22:04 pm »
it`s the same job then the 535A from med, only the case is smaller  :-+

the TEA Domestic Workgroup
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:27:40 pm by Martin.M »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46474 on: January 06, 2020, 05:37:35 pm »

Yeah, well... there's something to be said for "a certain level of gatekeeping"; my hobby of model aircraft, and acro/racing quads is a perfect example. Getting the kind of performance one needs out of these craft to barely function as intended requires a pretty intimate knowledge of the machine itself and how all the mechanical, electrical and even computer processing subsystems interact with each other.

"Real" quads are built like a race car; you start with a purpose-optimized frame, then choose motors, ESCs, LiPo pack, and flight controller optimized for YOUR preferred style of flight. Then YOU build it. THEN you tune it. This requires "Drift Racing" & "Rice Rocket" tuner level mechanical and electronics tech skills. REQUIRES.

Now compare that skillset against the explosion of ding-dongs who think they can just buy some $200 ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) POS off Bang-em-Good, then when it flies like shit or turtles over and over again, come into a hobbyist forum and expect those of us who've taken the time to learn to first educate them on what we need to know to be able to help (even though that is invariably explained, usually along with the answer to their question, in great detail in the first page of the thread), then expect us to spoon-feed them the knowledge to turn that POS into NOT-A-POS, and then ARGUE with us at every step as if they know something.  |O

A perfect example of this mindset is my non-profit SmokeStopper project; I produced and released this tutorial to the RC community for two reasons: First, to help RCers use a time-honored test technique (the dim-bulb tester) to successfully build a craft and keep the learning curve on a positive slope by NOT having every little mistake result in smoke and lost time & money. But secondly, to be a project that helps them develop that all-important SOLDERING SKILL, while yielding a useful tool in the process.

What do I get instead? Page after page of people who NEVER bothered to even READ the article, or the update, asking me what bulb to use with a 6S pack. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Page after page of people wanting me to make it FOR THEM. Page after page of people trolling me, saying it can't serve as advertised because REASONS.   :box:

And then there's the assholes who're just interested in turning a quick buck off the idea, who're selling PPTC-resistor based turds using my SmokeStopper name, not understanding (or caring) that I've already TRIED polyfuses in "to-destruction" failure-testing, and REJECTED THEM because they simply DO NOT PROTECT ANYTHING due to excessive inrush current before they trip. And that when they fail, which is pretty often when abused this way, it's pretty spectacular in its own right. (Thanks to JB for exemplifying that in one of his videos).  :rant:

So yeah... at this point I've turned into one of those old farts who lurks around the forum and ignores 90% of what I read. I'll occasionally try to answer a legitimate question, and always eventually answer in the SmokeStopper thread even when it's the same old questions... But my fuse is very short anymore; I give a short explanation referring them to the original article, direct them to read it in its entirety, and then if they come back and argue some more with me I switch over to "Fuck this noize" mode & tell them to just go buy a DJI Phantom before they hurt themselves or burn their house down.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:59:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf