Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17408387 times)

doktor pyta, djadeski and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46300 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:15 pm »
Thanks to an assist from @Kosmic I upgraded my DG831 to a DG992 this evening: from one channel and 35MHz to two and 100MHz plus other goodies.  :-+

And to be honest, for the stuff I do, 100MHz is almost always way more hertz than I need.  I guess I should sit down and RTFM to learn what it does...

From what I recall reading previously, these lesser models need adjustment to work properly at max frequency (may have been the amplitude accuracy or something), but the method to perform such an adjustment isn't yet known. So, it's good that you don't actually need it to be perfect or even reach 100 MHz. For me, even getting the second channel is already a nice bonus.

I am going to do some testing to see what I can find. For the stuff I do, as long as I know the amplitude (that is, I can measure it) whether it meets spec or not is less important. 
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46301 on: January 03, 2020, 09:50:38 pm »
If someone is wants an HP 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer, here is a deal;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/C164946-HP-53310A-Modulation-Domain-Analyzer-w-Opt-001-Exp-Mem-030-Channel-C/293402608912

Damn you, I decided I wasn't going to buy anything more until I cleared out some of the stuff currently on the shelf.   |O

What do you think that's worth?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #46302 on: January 03, 2020, 11:55:56 pm »
Yeah, I was checking out that modulation domain analyzer earlier. Worsthorse, if you want it, I'll refrain from bidding. My queue doesn't need to grow further. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46303 on: January 04, 2020, 12:14:25 am »
It's failing self test though. Not sure what "Trigger light" is and if it's fixable.

Bid accordingly  ;D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46304 on: January 04, 2020, 12:14:36 am »
Yeah, I was checking out that modulation domain analyzer earlier. Worsthorse, if you want it, I'll refrain from bidding. My queue doesn't need to grow further. ;D

I looked at it this morning, too, and I'm in the same boat as bitseeker - too many projects, not enough time.  And shipping is rather dear, too, since it's on the opposite coast.  Help save us from ourselves!   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46305 on: January 04, 2020, 12:40:56 am »

I looked at it this morning, too, and I'm in the same boat as bitseeker - too many projects, not enough time.  And shipping is rather dear, too, since it's on the opposite coast.  Help save us from ourselves!   :-+

-Pat

ha! i was hoping one of you was thinking about it. i am going to stand aside. after looking at the ebay ad, i walked downstairs to remind myself that my repair queue is long and storage capacity, small. 

the good news as long as i don't add it to auction sniper, i will forget about it until it is too late to do anything about it.  ;D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #46306 on: January 04, 2020, 01:21:21 am »

-Pat

ha! i was hoping one of you was thinking about it. i am going to stand aside. after looking at the ebay ad, i walked downstairs to remind myself that my repair queue is long and storage capacity, small. 

the good news as long as i don't add it to auction sniper, i will forget about it until it is too late to do anything about it.  ;D

*makes mental note to send worsthorse a PM reminder around this time Tuesday*   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

:-DD :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, InductorbackEMF

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46307 on: January 04, 2020, 01:41:06 am »
I just had to look to see what you guys were getting all worked up about.  ;D

I only have one project and really nothing in cue.  :-+

Looks interesting. Yes, shipping is a bit extreme.  :phew:

Nah, don't want it....you're lucky.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46308 on: January 04, 2020, 03:06:35 am »
I am not a violent person by nature but this is as much fun as it used to be way back when >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, InductorbackEMF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46309 on: January 04, 2020, 03:27:11 am »
It's failing self test though. Not sure what "Trigger light" is and if it's fixable.

Bid accordingly  ;D

There's an LED beside the channel input that lights when the input is triggered. I've seen one with that error before and recall that I couldn't find much info on what impact, aside from the LED being stuck off or on, the error has. I assume the fix would be a transistor or driver chip. Of course, the manual says to replace the whole board.

I missed one last year that sold for $10. I even asked the vendor if they happened to have another. Sometimes it's better to buy first and think later. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #46310 on: January 04, 2020, 03:54:57 am »
I am not a violent person by nature but this is as much fun as it used to be way back when >:D

Rocket League is just as much fun, and twice as infuriating.  :-DD

mnem
*rocketwhore*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46311 on: January 04, 2020, 04:05:57 am »
   In other news, my Rapid delivery arrived and now my 320 has it's smile back again, no wonder their delivery charge was so dammed high, they put those knob caps into a jiffy bag that 26 x 24cms, could have got the Titanic in there as well  :-DD :-DD

I would totes print that.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46312 on: January 04, 2020, 04:07:16 am »

Bid accordingly  ;D

There's an LED beside the channel input that lights when the input is triggered. I've seen one with that error before and recall that I couldn't find much info on what impact, aside from the LED being stuck off or on, the error has. I assume the fix would be a transistor or driver chip. Of course, the manual says to replace the whole board.

I missed one last year that sold for $10. I even asked the vendor if they happened to have another. Sometimes it's better to buy first and think later. :-DD

Woo, they really went all out with the self tests. Testing a led  :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46313 on: January 04, 2020, 04:09:14 am »

Tentatively yes. It's dinner time in Europe :-)
8:00 am here in NZ and 6am in eastern OZ, 3am in WA !  :o  :scared:

Finalizing the schedule for TEA Time 1.0.

Date/time: Saturday, 2020-01-11 @ 21:00 UTC  (Countdown timer, TEA Discord server)

Rough episode guide
    1. Intro (genesis of TEA, how you found TEA, what TEA means to you)
    2. 2019: Best/worst of the year (auction, acquisition, repair, explosion, vendor, shipper, forum post/thread, hack, etc.)
    3. 2020: Most/least excited about TE (announced, released, in search of, etc.)
    4. Recent: Acquisitions, addictions, projects, gifts, repairs, forum topics
    5. Jammy Git award: Best score this month (from #4 or seen on the forum)
    6. GAS station: Deals to lure us share with us
    7. QQs: Questions and suggestions (what can be improved, when to do episode 2)

Potential participants (mic):
    bitseeker, Zucca, worsthorse, med6753, xrunner? (Feel free to correct. Hopefully, we have at least 4.)

I'm going to try the default settings on the TEA Time voice channel, which means everyone can talk and listen. If that introduces too much extraneous mic triggering, it's possible to allow only specific users to talk while everyone else is listen-only. We'll see how it goes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46314 on: January 04, 2020, 05:11:48 am »
It's fortunate that Discord's UI makes the mic mute so convenient; you can easily do as I did during the test and leave yourself muted all the time EXCEPT when you actually have something to say. Nobody wants to hear your inadvertent cough or sneeze while someone else is talking, or forgetting yourself and yelling at the kids when they're being baby jerks.  :-DD

I intend to be there, Ifni willing and the creek don't rise. ;)

I prefer the countdown timer I set up, but that's a matter of taste.  :P

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:20:55 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #46315 on: January 04, 2020, 06:14:10 am »

mnem
*rocketwhore*

This is the pseudo Easter Egg in Wolfenstien 'The Old Blood' it is maybe the goriest blood dripping most Doom like of the series  ;D Rocket League is for those who cower in shame  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #46316 on: January 04, 2020, 06:29:00 am »

Bid accordingly  ;D

That's not necessarily a problem, just need to run the self cal routine to clear that error.  If you power it on with any button pressed it will clear the self cal data and sometimes give that error.  Requires a precise 5v DC input to each Chan A and Chan B, can use just a good power supply and set it with a DMM to 5.000v.  If this sells for $200 its a good deal and it looks very clean.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:24:39 pm by kj7e »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46317 on: January 04, 2020, 08:46:54 am »
Just pretending that they are possums eh  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46318 on: January 04, 2020, 01:03:28 pm »
On the game front I can thoroughly recommend Besiege on Steam. Absolutely marvellous game for the engineer in us.

Have emerged from the middle of nowhere into humanity now. With regrets about my decision to return.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46319 on: January 04, 2020, 01:13:42 pm »
(Just to add to what bean was saying)

If you are importing a STL in Fusion, normally the flow is:

1- Import the STL as a mesh
2- Edit the Mesh as needed (you can cut, fill, do bunch of modifications)
3- You can export as a stl if you have nothing else to do.
4- For more advance modifications, you convert the mesh to a body (Mesh to BRep)
5- Merge bunch of triangles to get uniform surfaces.
6- Modify the body with more advanced tools to get what you are looking for.

Example:

I got the stl for a probe holder

Now there is something written on the handle and I want to remove it.

I simply select the text by painting over it.

Use the remove/fill tool and completely delete the text.

Now I convert the mesh to a body (Mesh to BRep).

I use merge to get rid of some triangles.

Now it's trivial to split the body in multiple one.

I hope that model allows for adding a weight somewhere inside. I doubt the PLA will be heavy enough to put enough pressure on the probe point. The ones they give away at trade fairs (I got a bag load of these from Electronica) have metal weights in each leg and the entire piece is around 60g.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46320 on: January 04, 2020, 01:26:16 pm »
just playing  (AC transformer RIP)

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46321 on: January 04, 2020, 03:07:41 pm »

mnem
*rocketwhore*
This is the pseudo Easter Egg in Wolfenstien 'The Old Blood' it is maybe the goriest blood dripping most Doom like of the series  ;D Rocket League is for those who cower in shame  >:D

*yawwwwwn* Another First Person Shooter... (okay, arguably the FIRST FPS, but still) *twirls finger sarchastically*   ...because sitting in front of the screen doesn't rot your brain enough already; we need to double down on the brain-rot with brain-rot content as well. ;)

mnem
*spawn-camps bean with a grenade-launcher just for shits & grins* >:D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:14:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46322 on: January 04, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
On the game front I can thoroughly recommend Besiege on Steam. Absolutely marvellous game for the engineer in us.

Have emerged from the middle of nowhere into humanity now. With regrets about my decision to return.

Never was a gamer, never will be.

After days of shut in from being under the weather I dared go out in public. As a human species we are doomed.

Old retirees like me who look like the cat dragged them in. Hair, if they have any, that looks like it mopped the kitchen floor. Sweat pants and slippers. Geez....at least make an effort to look decent when you go out in public. It ain't hard.  :-//

Fat girls who wear pajama bottoms in public. It's so hard not to puke right in front of them.  :palm:

Being stuck on a register line at a store and the crazy behind you....whom you did NOT have eye contact nor acknowledge....want's to engage you in conversation and tell you his life story. And you can't get away from him. The temptation is there to tell them I don't give a flying fuck but there's the thought they may be off their meds and go ape shit on you. So you just shake your head until you can get away.

I'm home now. We are doomed.  |O 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46323 on: January 04, 2020, 03:10:20 pm »

Fuck off & die, old friend. ;)

mnem
are you feelin' tha lurrrve, bd...?  >:D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #46324 on: January 04, 2020, 03:16:14 pm »
It's fortunate that Discord's UI makes the mic mute so convenient; you can easily do as I did during the test and leave yourself muted all the time EXCEPT when you actually have something to say.

I do a LOT of day-job work in various teleconferences, and "all mute unless given the token" is a very strongly enforced rule. It makes for sooo much better environment. Oughta build me a footswitch thingamabob. And get me an external sound card to interface with it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf