Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17731530 times)

Vince, wkb, Runco990 and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #46100 on: December 30, 2019, 10:42:00 am »
:-[
Think I broke this thread: Signal Quality of "Budget" Waveform Generators
Reported.

Most strange you or someone has broken page one but not the thread  :-// Maybe someone has posted a suspect attachment or somehow corrupted their post. Never seen it happen with SMF before so CONGRATULATIONS on being first  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46101 on: December 30, 2019, 11:01:27 am »
Reported.

Most strange you or someone has broken page one but not the thread  :-// Maybe someone has posted a suspect attachment or somehow corrupted their post. Never seen it happen with SMF before so CONGRATULATIONS on being first  :-DD
Yeah well it broke.....and yes it was me.....and not for the first time with SMF here !  :P
3 png files all work as expected on this W10 PC but when attached to a post it failed to load.  :rant:  :bullshit:
Then found when attempting to post it again somehow one of the .png's was still in no man's land but even though I could remove it the furking thing still wouldn't work ! Tried a few times and give'd up !  :horse:
Managed to get the first broken posts URL and reported that too so hopefully gnif can dig into the server and put things straight.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46102 on: December 30, 2019, 11:02:23 am »
I blame PHP developers  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46103 on: December 30, 2019, 12:04:52 pm »
Reported.

Yeah well it broke.....and yes it was me.....and not for the first time with SMF here !  :P
3 png files all work as expected on this W10 PC but when attached to a post it failed to load.  :rant:  :bullshit:
Then found when attempting to post it again somehow one of the .png's was still in no man's land but even though I could remove it the furking thing still wouldn't work ! Tried a few times and give'd up !  :horse:
Managed to get the first broken posts URL and reported that too so hopefully gnif can dig into the server and put things straight.

All that dick swinging over who has the lowest distortion to the nth degree exceeded the SA imagery quota for the entire year.  >:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46104 on: December 30, 2019, 12:25:02 pm »
Interesting thread though. AWGs are pretty good really.

I have been wondering if it was possible to do a half 8640 (filters) and half si5351 device (synthesis) and ALC to get decent RF performance. Might have a play with that idea.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #46105 on: December 30, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »
:-+  the christmas picture
(Attachment Link)

She'll be giving you the Gretta death stare  :-DD

don`t worry,
the next bitch who want a nobel price is against windparks and electric cars
Martin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:08:32 pm by Martin.M »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46106 on: December 30, 2019, 03:57:10 pm »
I don’t think she wanted the Nobel Prize.

Just did 12km walk. Now dying. Stumbling around hamfests is much easier. Until you buy something heavy  :-DD

Next one over a month away  :--

Edit: would you all take the piss out of me if I bought a tek 453 after saying “no more teks”?  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:56:55 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46107 on: December 30, 2019, 05:27:46 pm »

Edit: would you all take the piss out of me if I bought a tek 453 after saying “no more teks”?  :-DD

Are you sure you're not a woman? Because you say one thing and do just the opposite.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46108 on: December 30, 2019, 05:43:44 pm »

If you want it, go for it, you'll only regret it afterwards if you don't, as for the others, you just know that they will take the piss out off you, especially now you mentioned it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #46109 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:15 pm »

Of course we wouldn't. <sniggers like muttley>
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46110 on: December 30, 2019, 05:52:55 pm »
More 535A cleaning.....

The power transformer, power resistor stack, and 12AU7 HV Oscillator and 6AU5 HV Driver tubes (hanging down) cleaned up.

The HV transformer and HV rectifier assembly after cleaning. Yes, there's still dirt on there. Don't want to get too aggressive here. It's a lot cleaner than I found it.

The only thing that looked suspicious was this far right connection with the black HV dope on it. That's the highest potential and the connection point for the anode lead to the CRT. It had what looked like metallic particles across the top of the ceramic. The particles cleaned off but there is the possibly that a permanent carbon track is lurking in there. If that's the case this assembly is a pile of junk. Luckily an entire assembly consisting of the HV transformer and rectifiers is available on Ebay for less than $25 plus shipping. Going to leave these covers off for now until after the first power up and see if there's any arcing.

This is the other section of the HV assembly consisting of the voltage dividers. It was clean as is and I left it alone.

Left to do: Remove the bottom plate and clean under the chassis. That's going to be fun. There's not enough room on the cart or either of my benches to put the scope on it's side. I'll have to use my kitchen counter and getting it up there is going to be a real treat.   

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46111 on: December 30, 2019, 06:02:54 pm »
Thats looking wonderful, soon be applying power to it now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46112 on: December 30, 2019, 06:04:36 pm »
After I clean the bottom of the chassis I give it the full beans and smoke test.  :-+ :-/O :-BROKE :scared: :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46113 on: December 30, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »
RIP  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46114 on: December 30, 2019, 06:53:43 pm »
Reported.

All that dick swinging over who has the lowest distortion to the nth degree exceeded the SA imagery quota for the entire year.  >:D :-DD
Ain't even finished yet !  :P

Oh, and fingers crossed for your Tek barbecue power up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Dek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46115 on: December 30, 2019, 07:30:28 pm »
After I clean the bottom of the chassis I give it the full beans and smoke test.  :-+ :-/O :-BROKE :scared: :-DD

It's how I imagine the internals of a nuclear bomb to look like  :scared:

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46116 on: December 30, 2019, 08:14:03 pm »
Used to own a bunch of 500 series even a 555. Got rid of it all. Somehow I found myself hefting a (new to me) 575 up to my 2nd floor lab. Barely made it. I feel sorry for whoever brings it back down again. At least I kept the Scope cart from my 555. The 575 fits it perfectly. After doing some cleaning like you have, I wondered what am I going to do about the ugly rusted handles on top. Interested to know any great solutions...

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46117 on: December 30, 2019, 08:18:53 pm »
899468-0

+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173868447306?ViewItem=&item=173868447306

=

899472-1

Although the pictures don't really show it this was fully worth the 20 minutes it took to replace it.
From a dull display it now looks as new again  :-+
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, kj7e, bd139

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46118 on: December 30, 2019, 08:39:17 pm »
Brasso works well on rust, after a wipe down with a cloth soaked in Coke, followed by a rinse with a wet cloth. you could use phosphoric acid instead of the coke, but typically coke is easier to get, and the only time I buy it is for cleaning stuff, as it makes a fairly good grease remover for clothes. If you want them to stay shiny use car paste wax on them after the Brasso is wipes off, cleaning first with alcohol to get the film of oil the Brasso leaves. Wash hands thoroughly after this, if you get any of the Brasso into your mouth or nose you will feel like the world is falling out your bottom.

As apprentice one of our instructors was a shooter, so we would be tasked with cleaning his pistol every week. Polished the whole pistol after stripping it to components, oiled them up, put it together and polished the entire box of 9mm ammunition it had, so it was spotless and gleamed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #46119 on: December 30, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »
After doing some cleaning like you have, I wondered what am I going to do about the ugly rusted handles on top. Interested to know any great solutions...

I ordered some 3/4 inch webbing from Amazon but discovered afterwards it's coming from China and projected delivery is Jan 22.  :palm:

Anyway, my intention is to double over the webbing which will enclose the rusted metal straps. The bases that attach to the top plate aren't bad so I may just leave them.   

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46120 on: December 30, 2019, 09:50:40 pm »
(Attachment Link)
+
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173868447306?ViewItem=&item=173868447306
=
(Attachment Link)

Although the pictures don't really show it this was fully worth the 20 minutes it took to replace it.
From a dull display it now looks as new again  :-+

Clear enough, though.
Worth the effort (and the costs).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:52:37 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46121 on: December 31, 2019, 01:17:33 am »
Perhaps in Feb. 2020 there will be some (43 units) Philips PSU's hitting ebay.

Details: Philips PE 1542
- 2x 0 to 32V - 0 to 1.4A
- 1x 5V - 0 to 3A

https://www.vebeg.de/web/en/verkauf/suchen.htm?DO_SUCHE=1&SUCH_MATGRUPPE=1150&SHOW_AUS=2004270&SHOW_LOS=26

There is one actually in ebay.de with a starting bid of 150 Euros (which is imho to expensive).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202861455092

And here is somebody which modified it with some LED displays:

Edit: it is based on this article in a transistor forum in the Netherlands:
http://www.transistorforum.nl/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=23044

Main webpage of the Vebeg:
https://www.vebeg.de/web/en/start/index.htm

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:37:29 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #46122 on: December 31, 2019, 01:24:33 am »
As guessed, the main SMPS transistor was shorted out. Replaced BU508A with something similar at had at hand, now it's up and running again (no matter, I did replace the other ones SMPS transistor the same way some time ago and it worked out fine).

That's a nice one.  ;D  :-+

I thought, the BU508A were manly used as the switching transistor in HV PSUs of TV sets. I never saw one used
in a mains PSU. Thanks for that.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #46123 on: December 31, 2019, 03:03:52 am »

oh heeeelppppp me!  i have fallen down the linux rabbit hole and the exit is very way far above my head.   :palm:

there is nothing like working on some system that almost works or better yet, randomly fails in minor but noticeable ways, but only intermittently and always accompanied by cryptic log messages to insure one will be up late, drinking coffee, and muttering muttering muttering, while being absolutely sure that success is merely a command line of typing or two away...

this message coming to you from the minix stick computer that has been linux'd and is destined to become a linbpq node on two meters somewhere in the wilds of southeast portland oregon. 

* worsthorse looks around and thinks, what was i thinking?
specialization is for insects.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46124 on: December 31, 2019, 03:09:54 am »

oh heeeelppppp me!  i have fallen down the linux rabbit hole and the exit is very way far above my head.   :palm:

there is nothing like working on some system that almost works or better yet, randomly fails in minor but noticeable ways, but only intermittently and always accompanied by cryptic log messages to insure one will be up late, drinking coffee, and muttering muttering muttering, while being absolutely sure that success is merely a command line of typing or two away...

this message coming to you from the minix stick computer that has been linux'd and is destined to become a linbpq node on two meters somewhere in the wilds of southeast portland oregon. 

* worsthorse looks around and thinks, what was i thinking?

You know you can unlock your DG831 with windoze just fine ? You can have your linux nirvana later if you want  ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf