Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928570 times)

shakalnokturn and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45925 on: December 27, 2019, 02:25:18 am »
Thanks. It was a real chore getting 65 pounds of dead weight up a flight of stairs. And to top it off the handles are broken.  :phew:

Maybe you can get some in Tek blue...

-Pat

Edit to add:  https://smile.amazon.com/Country-Brook-Design-Durable-Webbing/dp/B00H5B9EVI/ref=sr_1_50?keywords=nylon%2Bstrap&qid=1577413541&sr=8-50&th=1

Ice blue or ocean blue would work...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:28:38 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, xrunner

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #45926 on: December 27, 2019, 02:45:32 am »

Tentatively yes. It's dinner time in Europe :-)
8:00 am here in NZ and 6am in eastern OZ, 3am in WA !  :o  :scared:

Lucky it is voice only planned so here is the visual imagery ;) . Adjust coffee machines timer to 5am to allow for warm up, human alarm to 5.55am Dressing Gown and Moccasins to the shack and make coffee as the mayhem begins. Fall back position is stay in bed and listen because 6am is not my current end of the day ;D

If we move it two hours later to 21:00 UTC does that work for more people? It'll start getting late in Eastern Europe, but better morning hours in Australia.

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45927 on: December 27, 2019, 02:55:02 am »
Thanks. It was a real chore getting 65 pounds of dead weight up a flight of stairs. And to top it off the handles are broken.  :phew:

Maybe you can get some in Tek blue...

-Pat

Edit to add:  https://smile.amazon.com/Country-Brook-Design-Durable-Webbing/dp/B00H5B9EVI/ref=sr_1_50?keywords=nylon%2Bstrap&qid=1577413541&sr=8-50&th=1

Ice blue or ocean blue would work...

I plan on doing something similar with a cut up leather belt.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45928 on: December 27, 2019, 02:56:19 am »

Tentatively yes. It's dinner time in Europe :-)
8:00 am here in NZ and 6am in eastern OZ, 3am in WA !  :o  :scared:

Lucky it is voice only planned so here is the visual imagery ;) . Adjust coffee machines timer to 5am to allow for warm up, human alarm to 5.55am Dressing Gown and Moccasins to the shack and make coffee as the mayhem begins. Fall back position is stay in bed and listen because 6am is not my current end of the day ;D

If we move it two hours later to 21:00 UTC does that work for more people? It'll start getting late in Eastern Europe, but better morning hours in Australia.

It doesn't matter to me when it starts. I can be available any time....day or night as long as I know ahead of time.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45929 on: December 27, 2019, 03:08:45 am »
May you gain much valuable enheavyment from your new acquisition, my friend.  :-+

mnem
(Attachment Link)

See you do NEED a 3D printer for making handles :-DD Enjoy your project  :-+

I don't think a 3D printer can work with leather.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45930 on: December 27, 2019, 03:56:01 am »
I thought you had already adjusted that post, so adjusted mine (and the event on www.timeanddate.com ) to the new date/time. :-//

Yes, the date changed, but the time is still 19:00 UTC. I think you may have interpreted the 11a PST as UTC, but that's still 19:00 UTC.

Sorry for causing any confusion. I'll just post in UTC going forward to minimize time zone defects.

No prob. I'll go fix the event and my original post. We can easily update the event at any time.

Updated Event is here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=TEA+Time+on+Discord+%3A+Episode+1&iso=20200111T19&p1=1440

Updated Countdown timer is here: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=1440&iso=20200111T19&msg=TEA%20Time%20on%20Discord%20%3a%20Episode%201

Cheers!

mnem

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:17:18 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #45931 on: December 27, 2019, 05:16:28 am »

It doesn't matter to me when it starts. I can be available any time....day or night as long as I know ahead of time.

OK. Thanks, med. I'll see how it works for bean.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45932 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:07 am »

OK. Thanks, med. I'll see how it works for bean.

I am not much of a talker but if I am near my desk at the appointed time, whatever the appointed time might be, I will check in...
specialization is for insects.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #45933 on: December 27, 2019, 05:56:47 am »
1900 UTC works well for me, 0530 local, but I am often up at that time.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #45934 on: December 27, 2019, 05:58:08 am »
Here's a potential agenda. Some of these, such as 4, 5, and 6, could be regular segments. A suggestion was to keep it to one hour. I don't know how long each of these would last. So, it may be good to have some extra topics on hand. Then again, there's always the "TEAngent of the Day".

TEA Time — Episode 1
1. Intro
2. Retrospective: Best/worst of 2019 (auction, acquisition, repair, explosion, vendor, shipper, forum post/thread, etc.)
3. Most/least excited about TE in 2020 (announced, released, in search of, etc.)
4. Recent acquisitions & scores (gear, tools, snipes, gifts)
5. Jammy Git award: Best recent score (from #4 or seen on the forum)
6. GAS station: Deals you just can't resist (this is TEA, after all)
7. Suggestions on TEA Time (how was episode 1, when is episode 2)

If we survive this, we might dare to attempt episode 2. :scared:

Can't join, as I suck when speaking English.  ::)

Suggesting topic on  ..  "Bargaining tips & tricks when buying TEA stuffs" ...  :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:02:02 am by BravoV »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #45935 on: December 27, 2019, 06:06:23 am »
May you gain much valuable enheavyment from your new acquisition, my friend.  :-+

mnem
(Attachment Link)

See you do NEED a 3D printer for making handles :-DD Enjoy your project  :-+

I don't think a 3D printer can work with leather.  :-DD

So you clearly NEED a Laser cutter as well for cutting the leather and helping make the tools to work it. Regardless you still NEED a 3D printer too  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #45936 on: December 27, 2019, 06:09:00 am »
@med - I would punt one of the 'low voltage' electros, ie 500V, the supply has a few amps behind it, so it can pop things. In my 545 one of the electros became a nice resistor.

The Yaesu ft101 is slowly waking up from the dead. No 13.5V, the diodes popped, took out a trace, (the fox tango group refer to it as a 'fuseable trace'), I replaced the electros across the 13.5 v line as a precaution, found brown goop underneath - but they tested ok. The 13.5v line supplies power to the meter and dial illumination bulbs - it is common to accidentally short the 13v supply to the chassis at the bulb holders. It is a bit naughty but I have replaced them with LED equivalents.
I am getting what sounds like appropriate hiss from the speaker and it responds to audio gain variation! 👍
The calibrator isn't calibrating, but it is 40C here today so I have 'taken my cricket bat home' and am skulking inside with the airconditioner!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45937 on: December 27, 2019, 10:05:28 am »
Right bench project 2020 initiated. Step one: locate a decent chair. The current situation is I’m using a dining chair. It’s not ideal. This plan is to filch a second hand Aeron from somewhere. Also going to replace my entire bench and drawer unit with one custom made unit. Going to spend the next couple of days drawing up plans etc.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45938 on: December 27, 2019, 10:25:41 am »
Right bench project 2020 initiated. Step one: locate a decent chair. The current situation is I’m using a dining chair. It’s not ideal. This plan is to filch a second hand Aeron from somewhere. Also going to replace my entire bench and drawer unit with one custom made unit. Going to spend the next couple of days drawing up plans etc.

About freaking time.  :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45939 on: December 27, 2019, 10:34:53 am »
Yep. Bye bye Ikea shite  :-+

Plan so far is deeper work surface full width. Small shelf at rear for radio / scope etc then two deeper shelves above to support usual test gear gubbins and storage crates. Drawers down left side for tool storage.

Whole thing is going to be drafted in freecad. Going to get the thing cut to order and then assemble.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45940 on: December 27, 2019, 10:42:08 am »

Plan so far is deeper work surface full width. Small shelf at rear for radio / scope etc then two deeper shelves above to support usual test gear gubbins and storage crates. Drawers down left side for tool storage.

Whole thing is going to be drafted in freecad. Going to get the thing cut to order and then assemble.

Wow, fancy. My benches were drafted by freeinmyhead, cut by guesswho, and assembled by yourstruly.  ;D   

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45941 on: December 27, 2019, 11:17:55 am »

For benches/tables, Ikea do have one very useful item: sturdy adjustable height legs. They are great for getting your feet comfortably on the floor at the same time as your elbows and neck are at the right angle. (But do check the max load!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45942 on: December 27, 2019, 11:24:10 am »
TEA Christmas lunch failure:

No humans were harmed, but chestnut trees were involved in the meal, and a duck and pig were committed to the meal.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45943 on: December 27, 2019, 11:34:37 am »

Wow, fancy. My benches were drafted by freeinmyhead, cut by guesswho, and assembled by yourstruly.  ;D   

Yeah I lack three things there though: (1) ability to get things right without a CAD tool (2) ability to cut a straight line (3) any tools to cut anything with  :-DD

For benches/tables, Ikea do have one very useful item: sturdy adjustable height legs. They are great for getting your feet comfortably on the floor at the same time as your elbows and neck are at the right angle. (But do check the max load!)

The Ikea office stuff is quite good to be honest. It's definitely a league above other stuff. BUT the big problem is they have stopped selling the decent workbench conversion stuff now. The second hand stuff seems to have a layer of nicotine I'll be buggered if I'm cleaning off!

No humans were harmed, but chestnut trees were involved in the meal, and a duck and pig were committed to the meal.

Wonder if that is made by the same crap factory as my oven thermometer that melted and had to be scraped off the bottom of the oven  :palm:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45944 on: December 27, 2019, 11:49:12 am »

You don't use a K-Type sensor connected to a 7,5 digit Multimeter to measure the oven temp?? And you consider yourself a TEA?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45945 on: December 27, 2019, 12:00:04 pm »

You don't use a K-Type sensor connected to a 7,5 digit Multimeter to measure the oven temp?? And you consider yourself a TEA?

McBryce.

I wasn't cooking in my kitchen, so my 7.5 and 8.5 digit 19" DVMs weren't available - and there was zero worktop space available anyway. The available Fluke 21 wouldn't have sufficient resolution.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45946 on: December 27, 2019, 12:29:37 pm »
Started the restoration of the 535A. This is going to be a long and involved restoration. And there will be no other attempts at power up until cleaning/lube/deoxit/inspection is complete.

Here's the top with the only pieces remaining of the handles are the metal straps that were embedded in the leather. The strapping suggested by Cubdriver is too wide but I did find some ¾ inch webbing that should work. Order placed. The original guide manual was still in place. The covers are filthy but at first glance appears they will clean up and not require paint. Will know later after cleaning.

The rear panel after removing the fan screen. The fan itself doesn't look bad and it turns freely. Will lube it anyway. Not so the interior. A horror show of dust and dirt. Will post pix later. That label on the upper left says it was owned by the U.S. Navy.

The front panel after cleaning. Getting the knobs off turned into an exercise in futility. So I resorted to cotton swabs and Simple Green. Worked fine. I then followed it up with ammonia based window cleaner since Simple Green leaves a residue. The CRT bezel had the optional dark X-ray emission screen. It was metalized plastic glued to the bezel. No more. And Xacto knife got rid of it. The front panel now looks real good.

More later.....   

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, bitseeker, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, nixiefreqq, Kosmic

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45947 on: December 27, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »

McBryce.

I wasn't cooking in my kitchen, so my 7.5 and 8.5 digit 19" DVMs weren't available - and there was zero worktop space available anyway. The available Fluke 21 wouldn't have sufficient resolution.

what the hell is that?

(looks like something from the first "alien" flick)
free range primate

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45948 on: December 27, 2019, 01:36:15 pm »

The description of the process reminded me of this meal I was involved in.  :-DD

https://youtu.be/5HLy27bK-wU

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:50:37 pm by ArthurDent »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45949 on: December 27, 2019, 01:54:44 pm »
Just leaving this here:

897514-0
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf