Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16604903 times)

trackersoft and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45700 on: December 23, 2019, 02:05:00 pm »
Never had crawfish. Is it more like lobster or shrimp ?

Like little shrimp.

(Attachment Link)

Is that a starter or a main course?

Main course for sure. Another common way to fix 'em is to just have a crawfish boil with corn on the cob.

Fukkin' mud bugs... 

Yeah! Mud bugs...   :-+

Never had them but I'd be willing to try it.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45701 on: December 23, 2019, 02:09:30 pm »

BTW... with all due respect old friend... terms like "libtard" have no place in this setting. It is literally a hate-speech trigger-word, created by a worthless right-wingnut piece of shit whose very existence is a cancer on the soul of America. Please don't promote his mentality by using his language.

mnem

Point taken but as a point of fact I was using that term LONG before Mr Asshole picked up on it. We do some pretty dumb things in this state especially in relation to "special interests"

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45702 on: December 23, 2019, 02:21:20 pm »
Traffic circles (round abouts) are rare here. Proof most native drivers have no clue.

"Hold my beer and watch this"  :-DD

https://midhudsonnews.com/2019/12/23/whoops-missed-the-traffic-circle-a-bit-2/

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45703 on: December 23, 2019, 02:39:34 pm »
This is down to £100 now. Hmm.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324019821514

I’m literally 30 min drive away.

Edit: skipping it. Looks like water corrosion.
Well the scope front panel actually has water droplets on it, scary stuff running in that state :scared:

How about this, with the panel mounted intensity pot having 2kV on it :)

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45704 on: December 23, 2019, 02:43:10 pm »
edit...how in the hell did we get on this subject?  :-DD

Christmas angst  :-DD

Today I am amostly going to the tip. Getting a head start on the trash. Probably find it’s shut now

When I was young I sometimes went to the tip and came back with more than I left. Yes, Epsom was an affluent area.

Nowadays I believe people are accosted in the street on the way in by people wanting to look in the back of the car before it enters council property :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45705 on: December 23, 2019, 02:49:51 pm »
Point taken but as a point of fact I was using that term LONG before Mr Asshole picked up on it. We do some pretty dumb things in this state especially in relation to "special interests".

Yeah, that has pretty much ZIP to do with "liberal" vs "conservative". In fact, the idea that it's unacceptable to try and "legislate against hurt feelings" is a primarily liberal concept discussed at great length between Ben Franklin and his other cohorts at the time. This has not been very well practiced within the conservative mindset at all, who tend to feel it is perfectly permissible to legalize gag orders over anything they find offensive or even which makes them uncomfortable. This is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish than "free speech", which they use to justify all manner of hate-speech. :palm:

Whenever you think of "liberal", remember that pretty much everything Americans take for granted was produced by activism from "liberals" and "progressives". Everything that deviates from the Victorian-era attitude that only the wealthy mattered, and if one of them deigned to offer you paying work, you OWED THEM everything and they pretty much owned you & your family. :palm: :palm:

Also, remember that these same elitists own all the popular media, and they deliberately barrage us all with all manner of propaganda to reinforce those elitist attitudes; more than half the commercial broadcast programming directly promotes this "authoritarianism for its own sake" world-view, and the little bit that doesn't do so directly does so tacitly by treating it as a given that all our leaders are fucking scum, but it's their world and we just live in it.  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Once you start to notice it, you simply cannot un-notice. It is SO fucking pervasive it is literally oppressive; Orwell wrote 1984 as a cautionary tale, but these bastards are using it as blueprint.  :horse:

mnem
Food for thought; thought from food.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:00:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, bd139, mansaxel

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45706 on: December 23, 2019, 02:50:48 pm »
or wait for the owner and force him to open the door. There are multiple ways for the criminals especially if they don't have to fear any resistance. Let's face it, the risk for home invaders especially in the UK or Germany is about non existent as home owners cannot or even are not allowed to defend themselves.

Anyway, this is going down the off-topic falls.

We had lock picking in our hacker training class. A normal padlock can be breached in just a few seconds, and it does not even leave any obvious trace.

You’re allowed to defend yourself and your property here contrary to popular belief: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48134851 ... I myself have a nice
And sharp frost knife and a bottle of window cleaner that lives near the front door in my strategically placed “camping bits drawer”. Eyes and spleen it is.

Using "reasonable" (to the man on the Clapham omnibus) force, and without premeditation. A baseball bat sized torch full of batteries is recommended, but a baseball bat is not.

I’m doing three hamfests in Feb so we’ll see what turns up there.

Which ones?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45707 on: December 23, 2019, 02:53:43 pm »

Christmas angst  :-DD

Today I am amostly going to the tip. Getting a head start on the trash. Probably find it’s shut now

When I was young I sometimes went to the tip and came back with more than I left. Yes, Epsom was an affluent area.

Nowadays I believe people are accosted in the street on the way in by people wanting to look in the back of the car before it enters council property :)

Yes that was a regular occurrence up until I got a car. I’d inevitably be dragged to the tip to help unload and come back with stuff which was stripped for parts. Nothing of value now. I looked  :--

or wait for the owner and force him to open the door. There are multiple ways for the criminals especially if they don't have to fear any resistance. Let's face it, the risk for home invaders especially in the UK or Germany is about non existent as home owners cannot or even are not allowed to defend themselves.

Anyway, this is going down the off-topic falls.

We had lock picking in our hacker training class. A normal padlock can be breached in just a few seconds, and it does not even leave any obvious trace.

You’re allowed to defend yourself and your property here contrary to popular belief: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48134851 ... I myself have a nice
And sharp frost knife and a bottle of window cleaner that lives near the front door in my strategically placed “camping bits drawer”. Eyes and spleen it is.

Using "reasonable" (to the man on the Clapham omnibus) force, and without premeditation. A baseball bat sized torch full of batteries is recommended, but a baseball bat is not.

I’m doing three hamfests in Feb so we’ll see what turns up there.

Which ones?

Canvey, Harwell and Rainham. Only certainty is Harwell as it’s less effort despite being further away. Rainham was reasonable for parts last year. Never tried Canvey. Might be shit.

Edit: to note I’m not going in a test gear capacity this year. It’s purely about collecting parts for a few projects I am working on.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:56:31 pm by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45708 on: December 23, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »
Traffic circles (round abouts) are rare here. Proof most native drivers have no clue.

"Hold my beer and watch this"  :-DD

https://midhudsonnews.com/2019/12/23/whoops-missed-the-traffic-circle-a-bit-2/

When I had a Land Rover, back before satnavs became available, I always wanted a passenger to tell me to "go straight over at the next roundabout".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45709 on: December 23, 2019, 03:04:37 pm »
Pfffft. Amateur. Half a flip doesn't even register on my RADAR. :-DD  Just push the fukkin' thing back down on its wheels and go on about'cher bid'ness. If it starts to fall the wrong way, oh well; it's been a good life.

mnem
Okay, maybe as a once-upon-a-time stock-car-racer, I am a LITTLE jaded... :o
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:07:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45710 on: December 23, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
didn't  have a meter with low power ohms ranges.  found one on ebay and pulled the trigger.

this pitiful object arrived yesterday and is the most beat up TE to ever come out of a box at the freqq residence.

it does have NSA and POS so that is a plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Valley_Forge_(CG-50)

but geeeeeeze guys.  it is scratched, beaten, paint splashed, and was covered in sticker goo.  AND it had a cold solder joint in the ohms adjustment circuit which inspired some ape of an anchor clanker to twist the knob to point that it stripped the shaft to rotating disk connection in the pot.

my first impression was that they should have let the poor thing go down with the ship.

delicate surgery (NOT) and some epoxy got the ohms zero adjustment working again.  cold solder was joint reworked.   lots of time spent with paper towels soaked in orange glow and then goof-off got most of the crud and sticky spots off.  then did a recal per a proper tech manual (an ARMY TB), and ahoy matey the thing seems to be spot on.

bottom line....it is a keeper.  AND swab jockeys should be kept busy chipping paint with hammers, but should not be allowed to play with electronic instruments.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:36:12 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #45711 on: December 23, 2019, 03:52:18 pm »
*snip*
BTW... with all due respect old friend... terms like "libtard" have no place in this setting. It is literally a hate-speech trigger-word, created by a worthless right-wingnut piece of shit whose very existence is a cancer on the soul of America. Please don't promote his mentality by using his language.

mnem

And yet, in the same breath you manage to be openly insulting (which seems to be a pattern) to anyone who might disagree with you on these issues. People like you love throwing "hate speech" around precisely because it's nebulous and you can define it however you want so you don't have to engage in real debate. Ironically, the nasty personal insults you fling at folks who disagree with you politically (whether directly or indirectly) seem to never be hate speech. Wonder how that works...

Furthermore, this is the test equipment anonymous thread. TEST EQUIPMENT Anonymous. If you want to discuss politics in an echo chamber, there are far better places for you to do that than here. I come here specifically so I don't have to read that crap (and it's so very hard to find any place of refuge from it these days), and so I can enjoy a shared hobby with many folks. Despite that, I'm done with wading through the TEA thread to find the content I want when there's a damn political shit flinging contest going on nearly daily.

From the Forum Rules [emphasis mine]:

There are a couple of pet topics that always get out of control on forums, namely, religion, politics, and conspiracy theories.
Those who come here to mostly only contribute non-electronics related material are not welcome. There are forums for that stuff, this is not one of them.

I'm out, and I doubt I'll be contributing any further to this forum for a while.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45712 on: December 23, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »
QCX build starting. Will see if I can get through this with just a DMM seeing as it’s self-aligning and does reference clock cal via GPS.  :-+.

Step 1: throw all the shitty hair legged resistors in the bin and get some good ones out.

Edit: still no one has bought my 5334 so no FA-2 yet  :--  Not eating into the hamfest budget for it yet.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:10:02 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Gertjan

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45713 on: December 23, 2019, 04:19:36 pm »

My bad. I've mentioned a fancy lock.  :-//  ::)  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45714 on: December 23, 2019, 04:23:29 pm »
It’s not that. We’re just humans. This happens. If it wasn’t for diverse opinions and things going wildly off topic we’d be a horribly boring lot. New ideas come from diverse thought.

Interestingly there was a UK forum which squashed users on every off topic post. It died.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45715 on: December 23, 2019, 04:32:41 pm »
Yeah, live and let live.
Tolerance is a good thing but it is hard to find out, where the frontline is.
My suspicion is: there isn't. It is a dynamic process and very little can get for granted.

0culus has some certian ponts and so do mnem or med (or any other member here).

I think, all the best we can do is being civilized and behave as tolerant human beings which respect each other.
But sometimes you have to go into a (what I am calling) Monty-Python-mode.
It is necessary for the mental health. :)

Just my 2 Cents.

Edit:
And for all the others, I have here the cruel comfy-chair! Be warned!  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:34:13 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45716 on: December 23, 2019, 05:38:46 pm »
*snip*

mnem

And yet, in the same breath you manage to be openly insulting (which seems to be a pattern) to anyone who might disagree with you on these issues. People like you love throwing "hate speech" around precisely because it's nebulous and you can define it however you want so you don't have to engage in real debate. Ironically, the nasty personal insults you fling at folks who disagree with you politically (whether directly or indirectly) seem to never be hate speech. Wonder how that works...

Furthermore, this is the test equipment anonymous thread. TEST EQUIPMENT Anonymous. If you want to discuss politics in an echo chamber, there are far better places for you to do that than here. I come here specifically so I don't have to read that crap (and it's so very hard to find any place of refuge from it these days), and so I can enjoy a shared hobby with many folks. Despite that, I'm done with wading through the TEA thread to find the content I want when there's a damn political shit flinging contest going on nearly daily.

From the Forum Rules [emphasis mine]:

There are a couple of pet topics that always get out of control on forums, namely, religion, politics, and conspiracy theories.
Those who come here to mostly only contribute non-electronics related material are not welcome. There are forums for that stuff, this is not one of them.

I'm out, and I doubt I'll be contributing any further to this forum for a while.

That is the issue in a nutshell. Your expectation of the discussion to be ONLY about TE. We've established that this thread is NOT a technical forum, but rather a forum for those addicted to TE to get together and be sociable. Shockingly, that tolerance is why this group is so popular, and DUH... that was a deliberate example of the DIFFERENCE between "hate-speech" and "hyperbole".  ::)

If you're trying to suggest that the "cancer on the soul of America" to whom I refer is in ANY WAY representative of ANYONE with any humanity left in them, that he is in any way not a vile and reprehensible piece of shit... if he is in any way representative of YOUR views... then you should be offended. And maybe... just maybe... you should look at what he and his followers (you too, if you're one of them) have wrought.

It's a helluva a lot more offensive than the phrase "right-wingnut", which was coined as a literal description of the condition; someone who has taken the right-wing perspective so far beyond the pale it is literally insane.  :palm: 

I'm done... I wanted to be done with my carefully measured response to med.  TPTB... if you feel a need to delete this and/or my previous post, so be it. I said what I said and I stand by it. If I need to be given a time-out, I understand; I'll take the hit.

mnem
I think I need a cookie.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:34:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45717 on: December 23, 2019, 05:48:39 pm »
Never had crawfish. Is it more like lobster or shrimp ?

Like little shrimp.

(Attachment Link)

Is that a starter or a main course?

Main course for sure. Another common way to fix 'em is to just have a crawfish boil with corn on the cob.

What's a main course, whatever happen the massive meals you amerkins are supposed to eat then?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45718 on: December 23, 2019, 06:07:11 pm »
American culinary imagination has stultified in the information age; we either eat what we are bludgeoned to death with on TV between shows (sometimes two sacks worth at a sitting) or what some talking head on some talk show says "is divine" because it costs $100 a sitting.

After which meal, eaten because "It was the thing to do", at least half of the "perfect people " sneak out to one of the bludgeoners' restaurants to properly fill up after their 27 grams of "divine eats" took a forkful and a half to polish off. :palm:

It's the Circle of Life, only with Drive-Thru.  :-DD

mnem
Hubris: It's what's for dinner.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:09:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45719 on: December 23, 2019, 06:09:02 pm »
By the time she was eighty, my great-grandma Suzy (who lived through a metric shit-ton of truly horrifying experiences with her pride, humor, and grace intact) passed along a short list of useful aphorism, such as:  praise in public, punish in private.

May I suggest this to be a useful convention in this forum? If you decide you absolutely must take someone to the woodshed or wish to trade insults, perhaps you should consider a PM rather than the board for your conversation. 
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45720 on: December 23, 2019, 06:24:20 pm »
Honestly, my original statement that started all this wasn't intended as a "behind the woodshed"; nor was the following one which was more intended as broader discussion musings about how "Liberal" and "Progressive" have become dirty words in today's America, even though the founding documents of the nation epitomize those concepts.

As for the one directed at Oculus... I'll admit I was feeling a bit defensive. Also feeling that I needed to place those statements in context before the window of opportunity disappeared.

Ehhh.  :-// I'm human.

mnem
*errant cyber-dwagon with delusions of humanity*

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:37:19 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45721 on: December 23, 2019, 06:43:08 pm »
Well now that this thread is in total shambles just before Christmas (which absolutely sucks) let me state right here that my New Year's Resolution will be no longer engage nor respond to any post related to politics, guns, religion, etc. If others feel the need, fine. I'll just skip over it. Just like I did with the recent dope smoking threads.

Both Oculus and bd139 are right. Oculus comes here to engage solely in TEA and bd139 says we're human and occasionally we are going to wander off subject. I have no issue with that. It's striking that balance that's difficult. And the last thing I want to see is individuals getting disgusted with the subject matter and leaving. I think we've seen a warning shot across our bow and we need to heed it.

Mnem....I regard you as a friend and I enjoy your contributions to this thread but you need to bring it down a few decibels. Perhaps you don't realize it but you do try to impose your political views on others. I will say no more.

And since we are airing out our dirty laundry what are my general views? Middle of the road with a conservative slant. But I detest the ultra-right (Trump and Co) just as much as I detest the ultra-left that accuses me of being “non-inclusive”.  And since I don't agree with many of their opinions I'm a “bigot” and a “racist”. Now I ask you...would I be able to have a loving and long term relationship with an independent black woman if I were any of the above? Duh.      :palm:         

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45722 on: December 23, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »
What's a main course, whatever happen the massive meals you amerkins are supposed to eat then?

People might still do "courses" of food it at home with a family, I don't know - I'm single and I just eat what I want to. Two bowls of that etouffee' is plenty for me. Many here will go to some gut-filling place like Golden Corral (yuk  :P) all-you-can-eat and shovel it in until they are about to bust - then have even more dessert on top. Do you have all-you-can-eat places over there? (sorry if that's a dumb question).

I can't eat that much anymore - it's too hard on my system. But I will splurge sometimes like last night.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:32:02 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #45723 on: December 23, 2019, 07:31:17 pm »
I very much liked it. I want to see it continue and expand. But as I stated keep it to once a week such as on a Saturday.

I don't think it's going to "take away" from this forum. If last night's session was any indication I think we are going to find that our discussions will be very general in nature and not specifically TEA. In my mind that's OK as long as it doesn't turn into political ranting or a bitch and moan session (Well....a little bitching and moaning is OK.)  :-DD

Yes, it's very much like meeting at the Pub at the end of the week. In any case, we'll figure it out. I'm sure we're all in agreement that the new chat is to supplement, not supplant, the TEA thread.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45724 on: December 23, 2019, 07:48:11 pm »
then have even more dessert on top.

There's always room for pudding!

Do you have all-you-can-eat places over there? (sorry if that's a dumb question).

Some, but they are few and far between. Put it like this, you'd have to hunt one down rather than stumble into one by chance.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf