Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17322800 times)

Sorama and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45525 on: December 20, 2019, 06:21:45 pm »
FA-2 arrived intact. I let it warm up for an hour and checked it's internal ref. against GPSDO. No adjustments to it yet. Want to connect ext. ref. and do some statistics measuring a couple of OCXOs I have - 10 MHz and 100 MHz. So far so good.  :-+

(Attachment Link)

Please can people stop costing me money  :-DD

Kosmic did it to me so I'm passing the favor along.  :-DD

I am severely tempted too.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45526 on: December 20, 2019, 06:23:24 pm »
We're all getting better I'm telling ya.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45527 on: December 20, 2019, 06:23:34 pm »
FA-2 arrived intact. I let it warm up for an hour and checked it's internal ref. against GPSDO. No adjustments to it yet. Want to connect ext. ref. and do some statistics measuring a couple of OCXOs I have - 10 MHz and 100 MHz. So far so good.  :-+

(Attachment Link)

Your new FA-2 is just one click away ...  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45528 on: December 20, 2019, 06:25:17 pm »
I'm just sitting on the sidelines, watching the carnage.:-DD

mnem
"Mama Pajama rolled outta bed and she ran to the Police Station..."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:01:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45529 on: December 20, 2019, 06:25:17 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I've got my eye on something else right now but I'm not going to say what it is in case it doesn't pan out.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45530 on: December 20, 2019, 06:29:24 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I've got my eye on something else right now but I'm not going to say what it is in case it doesn't pan out.

And the other eye is watching that nice yummy FA-2? woah .....

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:40:20 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45531 on: December 20, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
Got some Christmas TEA from the government auction. Again, it look like I'm the only one bidding. Offered barely over the starting price. Got myself a new signal generator (IFR2025) and nice GPSDO (R&S ED170MP).

The IFR2025 goes to 2.5GHz, can output 25dBm and has the stable OCXO option. One unique feature of the signal generator, is that you can select the modulation waveform (sine, square, and triangle). Modulating with a squarewave give you a lot more harmonics. The only nuisance is the main rf port is located at the back. I will need to fix that.

The GPSDO is really nice. Got 4 x 1pps and 4 x 10Mhz out. Not sure if I need a 10Mhz distribution amplifier anymore. I definitely need to install a permanent GPS antenna on the roof though  ^-^

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:18:17 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, TheBay, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, FransW

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45532 on: December 20, 2019, 07:13:49 pm »
Nice!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #45533 on: December 20, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »
gotta rearrange my bench and need to put the Agilent 16702B somewhere I can actually use it ...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45534 on: December 20, 2019, 07:58:16 pm »

(Attachment Link)

You can build your own 12digit counter very cheaply and easily.

Frequency counters are a bit more problematic.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #45535 on: December 20, 2019, 08:00:44 pm »
Speaking of counters...is there any particular distinction between a frequency counter and a universal counter? I have a 5335A universal counter and a 5385 frequency counter for instance. As far as I can tell, the 5385 accomplishes basically the same task modulo some of the math features of the 5335A.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45536 on: December 20, 2019, 08:00:58 pm »
That’s my 7 year old’s job. She got hold of three small blue packing peanuts the other day and cut them into a thousand little pieces. They’re stuck to everything now. I am going to have to hoover the bloody ceiling  :palm:

oh my gawd, that's awesome! only a seven year old could do so much damage with just three packing peanuts. i mean, that takes talent!  :-DD

Icorrectly trusted my 7yo to pick up and handle a Gromit without damaging it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #45537 on: December 20, 2019, 08:06:24 pm »

And a RF Demo Kit for the NanoVNA:

I was looking hard at those too over the Black Friday specials but then discovered there was an updated version about to be released for some 30 something bucks and over twice the cost of the earlier version.  :palm:

Didn't get either one in the end.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45538 on: December 20, 2019, 08:19:27 pm »

And a RF Demo Kit for the NanoVNA:

I was looking hard at those too over the Black Friday specials but then discovered there was an updated version about to be released for some 30 something bucks and over twice the cost of the earlier version.  :palm:

Didn't get either one in the end.  :-//

What updated version? Do you have a link or an example?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #45539 on: December 20, 2019, 08:34:53 pm »
What updated version? Do you have a link or an example?
Sorry browser tabs long closed now but you might be able to find the later version here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?trafficChannel=main&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=nanovna+RF-Demo-board&ltype=wholesale&SortType=default&page=1

Apparently there's a V3 nano coming and they've had to update the demo board.
I only considered getting one for a learning and demo tool for SVA1032X.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #45540 on: December 20, 2019, 08:42:32 pm »
Speaking of counters...is there any particular distinction between a frequency counter and a universal counter? I have a 5335A universal counter and a 5385 frequency counter for instance. As far as I can tell, the 5385 accomplishes basically the same task modulo some of the math features of the 5335A.

Universal counters also include period measurements, ratio and external stop and starts.  They just give you the ability to count more than just the frequency of a signal.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #45541 on: December 20, 2019, 08:43:50 pm »
The 5385 measures period too. That distinction makes sense though.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45542 on: December 20, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »
My 5334B is now on eBay. Moment it goes I'll get an FA-2 I think. While I know it's not perfect, it's small and decent enough for the money :)

Plus I can pretend I've downsized then while I'm sweeping the 10-odd items that are coming from China under the magic make it go away rug :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45543 on: December 20, 2019, 10:12:05 pm »
Chestnuts roasting on an open Tek scope; … snip ...

happy holidays mnem  ^-^

Right back atcha, neighbor!  ;D

mnem
Merry Christmas med!!!  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #45544 on: December 20, 2019, 10:15:35 pm »

The GPSDO is really nice. Got 4 x 1pps and 4 x 10Mhz out. Not sure if I need a 10Mhz distribution amplifier anymore. I definitely need to install a permanent GPS antenna on the roof though  ^-^

Oh, a badge-engineered Meinberg. Good stuff.  They (the company) are nice people, representative here in Sweden really helps out when you have a problem, and the access to engineering in Germany is not hard to get. Next year, we're embarking on a serious time-nut voyage at the day-job, which involves lots of PTP clocks and similar nuttery, so I believe I'm getting some TEA at work too..

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45545 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:47 pm »

You can build your own 12digit counter very cheaply and easily. Frequency counters are a bit more problematic.

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45546 on: December 20, 2019, 10:32:56 pm »
My 5334B is now on eBay. Moment it goes I'll get an FA-2 I think. While I know it's not perfect, it's small and decent enough for the money :)

Plus I can pretend I've downsized then while I'm sweeping the 10-odd items that are coming from China under the magic make it go away rug :D

You don't need any more "help" but -

Here's some stats from the still unadjusted FA-2. Over 1199 10s periods (3.33 hours) it had the stats shown using it's own reference. Reading an average of 0.053 762 7 Hz high from my GPSDO. No doubt the most accurate frequency counter I've ever received which was untweaked, used or new.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139, Kosmic

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45547 on: December 20, 2019, 10:40:55 pm »

Oh, a badge-engineered Meinberg. Good stuff.  They (the company) are nice people, representative here in Sweden really helps out when you have a problem, and the access to engineering in Germany is not hard to get. Next year, we're embarking on a serious time-nut voyage at the day-job, which involves lots of PTP clocks and similar nuttery, so I believe I'm getting some TEA at work too..

I was looking for some info on the ED170MP and found some post in the time-nuts mailing list from an Meinberg employee. He was offering help and pointing the person to contact at Meinberg to get more information :)

Will probably send them an email to get the manual and software for the ED170MP. Funny that I can't find anything on R&S website.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45548 on: December 20, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »

(Attachment Link)

hey med

wow!  a freq counter with 12 digits of resolution.   it would be wrong to dive into that swamp without an upgrade to your house standard.

had a spare lpro-101 rubidium with plenty of life left in the physics package lamp......but have not seen it since we moved 4 years ago.

will have a look in some unopened boxes down the basement.

oh....you would have to make a power supply (seems like 24 V at a couple of amps?  and you can't just whack it in next to a transformer because they can be sensitive to stray magnetic fields).  oh.....and it has a base plate on one side that you gotta heat sink.  (maybe mine is running at about 20V because someone said the lamp would last longer that way?) 

aaaaand next you will need a gps freq standard to make sure the rubidium standard is doing its job.  hope you have a spot for an outdoor antenna. 

do you really want to go down the 12 digit rabbit hole?  lady heather can be a real bitch. (not making that up....some comedian named the gps discipline software "lady heather")

893440-0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:53:47 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45549 on: December 20, 2019, 10:51:33 pm »
I was looking for some info on the ED170MP and found some post in the time-nuts mailing list from an Meinberg employee. He was offering help and pointing the person to contact at Meinberg to get more information :)

Will probably send them an email to get the manual and software for the ED170MP. Funny that I can't find anything on R&S website.

Given the construction, probably manufactured under contract for a specific project. Wouldn't be surprised if the only documentation (aside from that for certain modular components) is in the possession of the contractee. That may not even be R&S, but rather the people who contracted THEM. :-//

mnem
"That information is provided on a need-to-know basis, and you don't."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:53:08 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf