Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16608382 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45400 on: December 19, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
Interesting. They just made us sit huddle around cheap small ones bought from Tandy/Radio Shack  :-DD

I remember my school physics department had one oscilloscope. The other was broken. They were both 60s heathkit tube scopes. I lent them my S61 on open evenings to make the place look better  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45401 on: December 19, 2019, 10:48:52 am »
Gee, that could have been my Science dept in school.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45402 on: December 19, 2019, 11:34:07 am »
You have to keep in mind, those meters were built mainly for education purpose. When the teacher is doing some experiments in front of the class, e.g.
demonstrating inducting current in a coil, so those meters were used to show the measurements and everybody in the class was able to see it.

Our school had meters for front of class demonstrations that looked like this:

(sorry, best quality image that I could find)

The scale was on a metal sheet that slid in and out of the meter, and had a shunt or dropper resistor on the scale that made a circuit as you inserted it. So one meter and case could work as either a voltmeter or ammeter for as many ranges as you had cards for.

The ones the students were given to use for experiments were like the smaller ones shown above, a standard meter movement in a sloping plastic case with a couple of 4mm binding posts on top.

I still rather like the latter, and a while back I was thinking about acquiring some for real, contemporary bench use. Sometimes an indication is all you need and the gentle waving of a meter needle can sometimes convey more useful information about what's actually going on then a digital display that's shooting up and down.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #45403 on: December 19, 2019, 11:54:15 am »
You have to keep in mind, those meters were built mainly for education purpose. When the teacher is doing some experiments in front of the class, e.g.
demonstrating inducting current in a coil, so those meters were used to show the measurements and everybody in the class was able to see it.

The scale was on a metal sheet that slid in and out of the meter, and had a shunt or dropper resistor on the scale that made a circuit as you inserted it. So one meter and case could work as either a voltmeter or ammeter for as many ranges as you had cards for.

The ones the students were given to use for experiments were like the smaller ones shown above, a standard meter movement in a sloping plastic case with a couple of 4mm binding posts on top.

I still rather like the latter, and a while back I was thinking about acquiring some for real, contemporary bench use. Sometimes an indication is all you need and the gentle waving of a meter needle can sometimes convey more useful information about what's actually going on then a digital display that's shooting up and down.

We had similar metres for low accuracy results. For 0.1% resolution we use a metre rule and a piece of resistance wire, plus two cells.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45404 on: December 19, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »
PL330QMD switch replaced and cal done. Bang on now.  :-+

Not a bad supply. Within 2mA at 6A out which is pretty good.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45405 on: December 19, 2019, 12:08:19 pm »

We used similar meters at the local technical college when I was there and as we progressed onto the HNC and HND courses we were given Avo multimeters to work with as we were less likely to blow them up being advanced students.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45406 on: December 19, 2019, 12:13:37 pm »

That's a fantastic result. You said before about the accuracy of their meters, which frees up your other meters for other duties. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45407 on: December 19, 2019, 12:25:49 pm »

What did you expected from a TTi puppy? Now enjoy the next ten years of rock solid operation.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45408 on: December 19, 2019, 12:28:41 pm »
I will sell soon a HP6642A 20V 10A for 250€ (can also sink current! so it's also a DC Load), if anyone needs it PM me.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #45409 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »
Didn't even know the Egomaniac was impeached until I happen to pull up the news last night. Shows you how out of touch I am which I consider a good thing.

Gonna get real interesting now that it's been passed to the Senate.  :o

And today he proved what a low life dick he is as a person which is more of an issue with the attack on Dingell. Someone needs to take the Bully behind the shed and adjust his attitude with a stick.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #45410 on: December 19, 2019, 01:45:59 pm »
*AHEM* back on topic, the aforementioned very special package (well, three packages  :-DD ) is now on it's way to me. I will be taking plenty of pics when they arrive next week, so stay tuned.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45411 on: December 19, 2019, 02:23:13 pm »
my mouser order arrived today, so i spent a pleasant couple of hours repairing the poorly done rework on the countdown board from the 184 and restoring the delay line to its former glory. replaced half a dozen resistors, three or four capacitors, and a couple of diodes along with cleaning up much of the bad soldering.

i don't know why i so enjoy fixing this old junk that no one wants or uses any more, but i surely do.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!!    :-DD

mnem
sssssh... not before my morning cuppa.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45412 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:40 pm »

Grand-dad always said "Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow."

A swedish writer who was known for his hilarious stories about life in the part of Sweden where I'm from, Fritiof Nilsson Piraten, was a procrastinator of rank.  His tombstone states (in translation) "Here below rest the ashes of a man who had a habit of putting things off until tomorrow. He improved on his deathbed, though, and actually died January 31, 1972"

mnem
"...But I was late for this, late for that; late for the love of my life.
And when I die alone, when I die alone, when I die I'll be on time..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45413 on: December 19, 2019, 02:34:09 pm »
I enjoy it too. But the question is.....does it now work?  :-//

I don't know yet. Wishing to avoid another round of dumb mistakes, I stopped tonight after a couple of hours. Tomorrow I will ring out the connections to be sure I put things back together properly then re-install and test the board. I also have to replace four or five caps on various points on the 12VDC rail, along with a couple of transistors I blew up.  Once that's all done I can see if (a) I've found all the destruction caused by connecting 130VDC to the 12V rail and (b) whether I've cleaned up the cross talk on the trigger output.

Break a leg, buddy. ;)

mnem
NO JINX FOR YOOO!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45414 on: December 19, 2019, 02:41:09 pm »
Didn't even know the Egomaniac was impeached until I happen to pull up the news last night. Shows you how out of touch I am which I consider a good thing. Gonna get real interesting now that it's been passed to the Senate.  :o

Interesting...? How? McConnell's just gonna shove the whole proceeding up his own arse and sit on it till it suffocates. Just like he did all the other investigations into Chump's election crimes & outright treason. All the while thinking he's somehow not Jabba the Hut in a pink tie.  :palm:

mnem
"A waste of skin."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45415 on: December 19, 2019, 02:47:18 pm »
Didn't even know the Egomaniac was impeached until I happen to pull up the news last night. Shows you how out of touch I am which I consider a good thing.

And today he proved what a low life dick he is as a person which is more of an issue with the attack on Dingell. Someone needs to take the Bully behind the shed and adjust his attitude with a stick.
Can someone please do that with our low life scum bag bully as well?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45416 on: December 19, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »

This is why some of us old punks young farts, even with all the technology at our disposal, STILL feel a need to keep ONE old 260 or a Micronta Dual-FET in the cupboard... there are times when the needle movement and a small amount of loading are EXACTLY what you need to see what's going on. :-+

mnem
The right tool for the job.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Specmaster, mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45417 on: December 19, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »
Aargh... Now its my turn with the fecking carriers, DPD have lost my package, shipped to me from Doncaster on the 14th. Scheduled to be delivered to by the 18th. Checking the tracking shows it was collected from the collection point on the 15th and has been shown in transit. Speaking to my local depot, they confirm that they have been advised that its coming. They received the info on the 15th but still have not received it. Seller has started a hunt down for the missing parcel, watch this space......... :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45418 on: December 19, 2019, 03:01:35 pm »
Yeah... my HANTEK 6022BL arrived today; I just handed it to my wife & asked her to wrap it & put it under the tree. ;)

I'm not buying ANYTHING ELSE online until February. :-DD

mnem
*fuel*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45419 on: December 19, 2019, 03:10:31 pm »
Aargh... Now its my turn with the fecking carriers, DPD have lost my package, shipped to me from Doncaster on the 14th. Scheduled to be delivered to by the 18th. Checking the tracking shows it was collected from the collection point on the 15th and has been shown in transit. Speaking to my local depot, they confirm that they have been advised that its coming. They received the info on the 15th but still have not received it. Seller has started a hunt down for the missing parcel, watch this space......... :rant:

Ugh. Good luck with that one.  :--

Yeah... my HANTEK 6022BL arrived today; I just handed it to my wife & asked her to wrap it & put it under the tree. ;)

mnem
*fuel*

Let us know if it's horrible or not.  :-DD. Seriously I've considered one myself for a bit as they don't take up a lot of room and it's fine for LF stuff.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45420 on: December 19, 2019, 03:11:35 pm »

Can someone please do that with our low life scum bag bully as well?

We knew that before he was elected installed in the Oval Office against the will of the American People. "Pussy-Grabber-in-Chief" meme ring any bells...? Yet there were SOME who still voted for the slug. :palm:

Not gonna happen. He's what happens when white trash gets money; the first thing they do is hire a private army to protect them from people just like themselves. And the consequences of their own slimery.

mnem
Okay... okay. I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:53:16 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45421 on: December 19, 2019, 03:40:49 pm »
After thinking about it for a while, I... SQUIRREL!!!!

Highlights:

Linus: "They're not going to sleep with us for like a week after this... after they see this video."

Heather: "That's insulting; we don't need 4 hours to build a PC."

Linus: "I believe you said you have a bunch of LTT cable ties..."
Kyle: "Most of them are in use, but... *plops a bag of Dollar Store zip ties on the bench just as the LTT Cable Ties advert cues up screen left*
*Happy Linus noises*

Linus: "You can watch as many of MY VIDEOS as you want..."

Yvonne: I feel like this is the blind leading the blind, but..."

Best Comments:
Marko Vuckovic - 1 day ago

Wives: *Helps each other*
Linus and Kyle: *confused noises*

Drinkyoghurt-1 day ago

"There's no prize for finishing together." - Linus Sex Tips 2019

:-DD

mnem
*easily distracted*

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:36:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45422 on: December 19, 2019, 03:50:44 pm »

mnem
*fuel*

Let us know if it's horrible or not.  :-DD. Seriously I've considered one myself for a bit as they don't take up a lot of room and it's fine for LF stuff.

I MAY be going down the 892490-0 rabbit-hole; depends on how horrible the stock FW/Software is. We'll see.

Totes wish the Arrow Sale had happened a couple weeks ago; BEFORE I went into the red on Christmas prezzies for da kidzz...  |O

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45424 on: December 19, 2019, 04:20:55 pm »
Can you imagine what these little toy things COULD DO if they just redesigned around a USB 3.1 interface...?  |O

In other news...

Quote from: mnementh on LTT Wife PC Build-Off video seen above
Oh, FFS Linus; I love you man, but sponsored by RING...? SERIOUSLY?!? Have you really gone THAT corporate...? They've known about their swiss-cheese security holes since MAY and haven't done a THING to fix it. :facepalm:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/19/12/12/204240/inside-the-podcast-that-hacks-ring-camera-owners-live-on-air

The place we're living in now has a NEST t-stat and smart lighting controls. If the WiFi goes down, you have to leave a door open or pee in the dark because all the bathroom lights go dead until they reconnect.  :palm: The property owner sent me a "invite" so I could login to the NEST control center and program things; it ONLY works when logged into a Google account. Fucking SERIOUSLY...?

mnem
mmmmm... Swiss cheese... ghaaaahhh... *drool*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:39:22 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf