Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16608195 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45375 on: December 19, 2019, 01:35:36 am »
Noticed and appreciated all of the above... I like that they deliberately made an effort to include stuff for Trekkers as well as Troopers/Jedi in their production, without making it too obvious. This is a time for Holiday Cheer, not feeling slighted.  :-+

mnem
moo!
Not obvious? How much more blatant do you want it?  :-DD

As in "not bludgeoning you over the head, such blatant fan service that even the marching morons will see it" as opposed to "Yeah, it's there for me; if I'm a Trekker I'll notice". I felt it was done tastefully and in keeping with the season.

mnem
But if bludgeoning is what you want... ask your doctor if commercial broadcast is right for you. >:D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:58:24 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45376 on: December 19, 2019, 01:57:36 am »
From the "For Auld Lang Syne" Dept...

Merry Christmas all you maniacs, from the monster you unleashed upon eevBlog!!!  :-DD

mnem
grr. arrg.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45377 on: December 19, 2019, 02:04:35 am »
I had a Lumina 950 Windows phone with 8.1 installed and then got a free upgrade to Windows 10, 20Mpix camera and I loved it, performed well, large screen and the camera was excellent.

The Lumina 925 unfortunately could NOT be upgraded to WIN10 so I stayed with 8.1. But it's now obsolete and no one supports new apps for it. Luckily my provider still supports the phone/text but that could end suddenly.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45378 on: December 19, 2019, 02:35:24 am »
In all fairness, nobody really supported it with apps when it was a current model. Fortunately, it came with Mobile Office and most of the gadget apps we take for granted baked in... and that Nokia GPS app was effing excellent. Functionally as good as Google Maps is now (aside from real-time traffic), and half as annoying with Googs always trying to "help you" do shit you were never interested in.  |O

mnem
Also, it could take a pretty solid punt.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45379 on: December 19, 2019, 02:49:34 am »
... and I found papa med a new Christmassy avatar, will he use it?  :-// >:D
Not unless one of the hands is photoshopped ...  :-DD

Did that already... remember...?      :-DD

mnem
hah. bumbug. >:D

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #45380 on: December 19, 2019, 03:09:39 am »
Asking TEA fellows, especially from Germany, any comment about this German made multimeter ? (photo attached) As I'm not familiar with the brand.

I've been offered locally, apart from my weak heart seeing moving coil meter  :palm:, what interested me is it claims its a true RMS and also has a switch for averaging too, and AC+DC or pure AC in analog display.

Or any other comments maybe ?

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #45381 on: December 19, 2019, 03:18:47 am »
This little bad boy showed up, really impressed so far.  Yes its stable and precise to the last digit, need to see how the CTS reference ages, only been powered on for a few min, warms up fast, but slowing drifting. Going to let it cook for a few days.

Far as I can tell, this is the bargain of the century for a 6GHz counter.

Oh, found a HP 3410A AC Microvolt meter in great shape, same vintage as the rest of my HP gear, with matching manual, its on its way :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:21:09 am by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, med6753, Kosmic

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45382 on: December 19, 2019, 03:39:31 am »
This little bad boy showed up, really impressed so far.  Yes its stable and precise to the last digit, need to see how the CTS reference ages, only been powered on for a few min, warms up fast, but slowing drifting. Going to let it cook for a few days.

Far as I can tell, this is the bargain of the century for a 6GHz counter.

I got one coming this Friday myself.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45383 on: December 19, 2019, 04:01:11 am »
Asking TEA fellows, especially from Germany, any comment about this German made multimeter ? (photo attached) As I'm not familiar with the brand.

I've been offered locally, apart from my weak heart seeing moving coil meter  :palm:, what interested me is it claims its a true RMS and also has a switch for averaging too, and AC+DC or pure AC in analog display.

The brand is Lucas Nülle, their website can be found here: https://www.lucas-nuelle.com/
They are specialized in producing measurement instruments for education and research, perhaps you are familiar with the brand PHYWE (PHYsikalische WErkstätte - physical workshop) which exists since 1913 and belongs to Lucas Nülle since 1988. ( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phywe - sorry, only in german available )

Your meter claims to be undestructable for voltages up to 1kV and for currents up to 30A and from the build quality it is one of the best you can get, imho.
Here are some details (found them here: http://www.selkagmbh.com/product_info.php?pName=analog-multimeter-p-27)

True RMS Multimeter
Order No.: LM1005

RMS meter electrically immune to damage for voltages up to 1kV and currents up to 30A

Total rms value (RMS-AC+DC)
    Ripple rms value (RMS-AC)
    Arithmetic mean value (AV-AC+DC)
    Permanent moving moving-coil instrument class 1.5 / double scale
    Scale 1: measurement range 0 - 10
    Scale 2: measurement range 0 - 3
    Internal resistance: current path 10mOhm, voltage path 10MOhm
    Voltage ranges: 3; 10; 30; 100; 300; 1000V
    Current ranges: 0.1; 0.3; 1; 3; 10; 30A
    Crest factor: 10
    Measurement accuracy: 2%
    Operating voltage: 230V, 50Hz
    Dimensions: 210 x 90 x 130mm (WxHxD)
    Weight: 1kg

Perhaps, if you are contacting Lucas Nülle, they can send you more details.

Here is the link to the PHYWE website: https://www.phywe.com/

And for entertainement and TEA reasons a picture of a typical product from them:

HTH
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, kj7e

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45384 on: December 19, 2019, 04:33:27 am »
my mouser order arrived today, so i spent a pleasant couple of hours repairing the poorly done rework on the countdown board from the 184 and restoring the delay line to its former glory. replaced half a dozen resistors, three or four capacitors, and a couple of diodes along with cleaning up much of the bad soldering.

892228-0

i don't know why i so enjoy fixing this old junk that no one wants or uses any more, but i surely do. 

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, kj7e, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #45385 on: December 19, 2019, 04:44:19 am »
It's really not old junk though...I think of it as carefully preserving and stewarding a bygone era of truly quality stuff.  :-+ No one builds electronics to survive anymore, outside of space applications.  Much of it is perfectly serviceable if it can be fixed. Sometimes other units may have to sacrifice unobtanium parts, but such is life.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45386 on: December 19, 2019, 05:03:39 am »
I had a Lumina 950 Windows phone with 8.1 installed and then got a free upgrade to Windows 10, 20Mpix camera and I loved it, performed well, large screen and the camera was excellent.

The Lumina 925 unfortunately could NOT be upgraded to WIN10 so I stayed with 8.1. But it's now obsolete and no one supports new apps for it. Luckily my provider still supports the phone/text but that could end suddenly.

Well for you guys who still have this phone, and have nothing to lose, well there is a Windows 10 port for that phone:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lumia-920/development/rom-windows-10-v10586-rom-nokia-lumia-t3425936

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lumia-920/general/how-to-upgrade-lumia-920-to-windows-10-t3451644

Currently no Android port for this model, but for others there is. Well there is one but no signal SIM Card, camera, accelerometer, GPS and internal microphone, since it still under development. But for any one interested: https://android4lumia.github.io/ I can't be held responsible if by trying this your phone turns into a drink's coaster, so please do at your own risk.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:05:13 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45387 on: December 19, 2019, 05:14:27 am »
my mouser order arrived today, so i spent a pleasant couple of hours repairing the poorly done rework on the countdown board from the 184 and restoring the delay line to its former glory. replaced half a dozen resistors, three or four capacitors, and a couple of diodes along with cleaning up much of the bad soldering.

(Attachment Link)

i don't know why i so enjoy fixing this old junk that no one wants or uses any more, but i surely do.

I enjoy it too. But the question is.....does it now work?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45388 on: December 19, 2019, 05:16:35 am »

Well for you guys who still have this phone, and have nothing to lose, well there is a Windows 10 port for that phone:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lumia-920/development/rom-windows-10-v10586-rom-nokia-lumia-t3425936

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lumia-920/general/how-to-upgrade-lumia-920-to-windows-10-t3451644

Currently no Android port for this model, but for others there is. Well there is one but no signal SIM Card, camera, accelerometer, GPS and internal microphone, since it still under development. But for any one interested: https://android4lumia.github.io/ I can't be held responsible if by trying this your phone turns into a drink's coaster, so please do at your own risk.

That's for the 920. I have a 925 and quite frankly I'm not going to bother or risk it. I'll opt for a new android phone. I will never, EVER, drink the Apple juice.  ::)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45389 on: December 19, 2019, 05:26:57 am »
That's for the 920. I have a 925 and quite frankly I'm not going to bother or risk it. I'll opt for a new android phone. I will never, EVER, drink the Apple juice.  ::)

Same base hardware, half internal storage (32GB from the Lumia 920 to 16GB in the Lumia 925), different screen technology (AMOLED for the Lumia 925 and IPS for the Lumia 920) and different camera modules. So the update will work, although I understand not wanting to take the risk.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #45390 on: December 19, 2019, 05:46:53 am »

Grand-dad always said "Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow."

A swedish writer who was known for his hilarious stories about life in the part of Sweden where I'm from, Fritiof Nilsson Piraten, was a procrastinator of rank.  His tombstone states (in translation) "Here below rest the ashes of a man who had a habit of putting things off until tomorrow. He improved on his deathbed, though, and actually died January 31, 1972" 

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45391 on: December 19, 2019, 05:50:30 am »

(Attachment Link)

I enjoy it too. But the question is.....does it now work?  :-//

I don't know yet. Wishing to avoid another round of dumb mistakes, I stopped tonight after a couple of hours. Tomorrow I will ring out the connections to be sure I put things back together properly then re-install and test the board. I also have to replace four or five caps on various points on the 12VDC rail, along with a couple of transistors I blew up.  Once that's all done I can see if (a) I've found all the destruction caused by connecting 130VDC to the 12V rail and (b) whether I've cleaned up the cross talk on the trigger output.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:52:04 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #45392 on: December 19, 2019, 05:52:46 am »
Today I built the TritiLED, a coin cell powered micro light, used as a locator in very dark conditions (as an alternative to 'tritium' powered radio-luminous paints). It is supposed to last for years of continuous use off of the cr2032 cell. The author, Ted Yapo, of the project was on the Amp-hour recently. Details on https://hackaday.io/project/11864-tritiled/log/72301-v30-release
It fits inside a small lip-gloss container. Parts list (Digikey and Amazon) and software also included in the build details.
The biggest issue I had was learning MPLAB X IDE, PICKIT4 and finding a socket for SOIC8 as I like to pre-program my micros.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45393 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:10 am »
Today I built the TritiLED, a coin cell powered micro light, used as a locator in very dark conditions (as an alternative to 'tritium' powered radio-luminous paints). It is supposed to last for years of continuous use off of the cr2032 cell. The author, Ted Yapo, of the project was on the Amp-hour recently. Details on https://hackaday.io/project/11864-tritiled/log/72301-v30-release
It fits inside a small lip-gloss container. Parts list (Digikey and Amazon) and software also included in the build details.
The biggest issue I had was learning MPLAB X IDE, PICKIT4 and finding a socket for SOIC8 as I like to pre-program my micros.

Lovely, I very much appreciated that AMPHOUR episode. What struck me was how he predicted battery life time of that device. He took the graph from the datasheet and got it interpolated in SW to get sort of "look up" table form the non linear curved lines. The rest was easy.
Anyone here have done something like this?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:03:38 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45394 on: December 19, 2019, 07:42:06 am »

The brand is Lucas Nülle, their website can be found here: https://www.lucas-nuelle.com/
They are specialized in producing measurement instruments for education and research, perhaps you are familiar with the brand PHYWE (PHYsikalische WErkstätte - physical workshop) which exists since 1913 and belongs to Lucas Nülle since 1988. ( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phywe - sorry, only in german available )

Your meter claims to be undestructable for voltages up to 1kV and for currents up to 30A and from the build quality it is one of the best you can get, imho.
Here are some details (found them here: http://www.selkagmbh.com/product_info.php?pName=analog-multimeter-p-27)

To me it looks like an IKEA multimeter.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45395 on: December 19, 2019, 08:04:59 am »
To me that meter looks like it comes from the Eastern Bloc. Somewhere that they were trying desperately to prove their production prowess to the rest of world through extreme modernism. But missing the mark by a mile.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45396 on: December 19, 2019, 08:55:05 am »
Almost missed it, this news shifts the DT impeachment down in white noise.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-keysight-3458a/msg2825310/#msg2825310

TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               TiN will get a black edition 3458A!               
At least I hope so.

Tell me whatever you want but Keysight is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:24:21 am by Zucca »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45397 on: December 19, 2019, 09:54:32 am »
Didn't even know the Egomaniac was impeached until I happen to pull up the news last night. Shows you how out of touch I am which I consider a good thing.

Gonna get real interesting now that it's been passed to the Senate.  :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45398 on: December 19, 2019, 10:11:32 am »
Yeah shows not over yet. Good luck to you guys.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45399 on: December 19, 2019, 10:20:44 am »
To me that meter looks like it comes from the Eastern Bloc. Somewhere that they were trying desperately to prove their production prowess to the rest of world through extreme modernism. But missing the mark by a mile.

You have to keep in mind, those meters were built mainly for education purpose. When the teacher is doing some experiments in front of the class, e.g.
demonstrating inducting current in a coil, so those meters were used to show the measurements and everybody in the class was able to see it.

I by myself was also introduced in the mysterious ways of science with these instruments in my school.
And sometimes these instruments were used by the pupils / students themself, so they have to be bult rock-solid, bullet proof and simple to use.

That's why they are looking like some retarded things, but they aren't that bad.

Typical example ( starting at 4:50)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf