Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17327845 times)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45325 on: December 18, 2019, 04:22:42 pm »
You have rednecks in Germany?  Because that is a classic "Redneck Repair"  ::) :palm: :-DD

No, that repair (first picture) was intended to last a few days, applied by the guy who found the leaky pipe two days ago. For sure, he wasn't a redneck. The pipe itself is corroded and has a small pinhole. Maybe the term redneck might apply to the people who did the "interesting wiring", but that happened in the past, before I bought that house.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45326 on: December 18, 2019, 04:23:54 pm »
That reminds me of when we did the heating in our house. Found 50 years of crime behind every wall.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #45327 on: December 18, 2019, 04:24:21 pm »
Not exactly TEA and not electronic either ..

Had some water damage in the house, first picture shows the "patch" applied to the borked pipe.
Now look at the second picture, showing a really interesting "wiring" of the pipes. The repair guy said, this was a really rare view (he claims to have about 600 cases per year.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Right before Christmas. Excellent timing.  :(

I hope, the damage isn't too much. Do you need now to dry the walls?

Low to medium damage according to the repair guys, and yes, drying is required and starts right now. Luckily all covered by insurance, BTW they (the insurance company) have a quite responsive service sending out the leak finder and repair guys.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45328 on: December 18, 2019, 04:26:08 pm »
You have rednecks in Germany?  Because that is a classic "Redneck Repair"  ::) :palm: :-DD

Be warned: Rednecks of this type can be found everywhere.  :palm:  |O  >:(

You are correct. Stupidity knows no boundaries.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45329 on: December 18, 2019, 04:31:31 pm »
It's using a windows phone by the looks so it's already done for  :-DD
Believe it or not I'm still using my Nokia 925 with Win8.1 but I am upgrading this Christmas. Nothing wrong with the phone itself. Extremely reliable but slowly all the apps are going down the toilet due to lack of support.

The 925 was an aberration... a phone from Microsoft that JUST PLAIN WORKED. It came preloaded with everything you needed (which was good, because there was precious little in the app store at the time), cost $50 with 2 months free service from T-mo, and it literally saved my job when my POS Samsung died due to a unwanted FW upgrade WHILE USING IT ON A SERVICE CALL that borked itself and bricked the phone. I walked into T-Mo and walked out with the phone on my lunch break, and I was able to carry on, business as usual. I liked the phone so much I bought another one for me & my wife at Christmas, which we both used for almost 3 years.

The only thing wrong with it was that as the content on the intardnet got more and more... stupid... it required more and more processor power to DO ANYTHING, even on "the mobile sites". that combined with aging eyesight and the need for something in the range of a 6" screen, I bought my first Android phone since the Samsuck... which I promptly destroyed in less than a year, prompting me to buy my first BLU phone sometime around Christmas 2016 I think.

We've been using them ever since; their strong point being that their product line is generally within 80% performance of the big name flagship phones, at approx 20-30% the cost, even on Amazon. The BIG suck point... really the ONLY one... is a VERY spartan build of Android. Which I for one actually LIKE, aside from a few quirks where I can't turn some shit off like I want to. Well, that and a pretty potato camera... which is NOT a big issue for me anyways. The only thing I use the camera for is the random snappy or pics of hardware for the deliverables portion of a work order.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-X5-5-7-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07ST2T8B2/

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-XL5-6-3-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07SS5HC8D/

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-X5-5-7-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07ST2T8B2/

https://www.amazon.com/N1-6-4-AMOLED-Screen-Display-128GB/dp/B07VHXT1R3/

mnem
*phone-y*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 04:58:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45330 on: December 18, 2019, 04:36:02 pm »
This is why I wake up everyday smiling.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45331 on: December 18, 2019, 04:46:25 pm »

mnem
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:51:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45332 on: December 18, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »
Hey Med, does the other half know you're posting this kind of thing? Y'know, the one with the bignightstick cluebat.

On other topics: I've just realized how close Christmas is, which means that the normal weekly shopping trip scheduled for tomorrow is going to be hell as the whole world will be out shopping in the usual "OMG, only a week to Christmas" panic.

This time of year does have its compensations though - afternoon snack, a fat slice of real Italian panettone:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45333 on: December 18, 2019, 05:01:58 pm »
*dips his Panettone in a ginormous mug of Tim Horton's Hazelnut coffee with too much milk in it, while grinning wickedly at bean*  >:D

mnem
yummeh.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45334 on: December 18, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »
Hey Med, does the other half know you're posting this kind of thing? Y'know, the one with the bignightstick cluebat.

They don't carry nightsticks anymore. But the 4 cell Maglite can be brought into play if necessary. :o

Her attitude is the same as mine. "I miss him but I'm also glad when he goes home"  :-DD

That's why our relationship works.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45335 on: December 18, 2019, 05:22:49 pm »
*cough*taser baton on med's arse*cough* :-DD

mnem
He probably likes it like dat... >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #45336 on: December 18, 2019, 05:38:07 pm »

mnem

The NYPD School Safety Officers are completely unarmed. No side arm and no taser. Can you imagine the outcry if a student were tasered? Even though many of them would deserve it. If there's an incident protocol is assess, get on the radio for backup, restrain or take down if possible and cuff. I worry about her everyday because in the past 9 months she's been injured twice breaking up fights. And the last one nearly put her out on permanent disability. Not a fun job when the animals are in control and the Board of Ed are dumb fucks.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45337 on: December 18, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »
It's using a windows phone by the looks so it's already done for  :-DD
Believe it or not I'm still using my Nokia 925 with Win8.1 but I am upgrading this Christmas. Nothing wrong with the phone itself. Extremely reliable but slowly all the apps are going down the toilet due to lack of support.

The 925 was an aberration... a phone from Microsoft that JUST PLAIN WORKED. It came preloaded with everything you needed (which was good, because there was precious little in the app store at the time), cost $50 with 2 months free service from T-mo, and it literally saved my job when my POS Samsung died due to a unwanted FW upgrade WHILE USING IT ON A SERVICE CALL that borked itself and bricked the phone. I walked into T-Mo and walked out with the phone on my lunch break, and I was able to carry on, business as usual. I liked the phone so much I bought another one for me & my wife at Christmas, which we both used for almost 3 years.

The only thing wrong with it was that as the content on the intardnet got more and more... stupid... it required more and more processor power to DO ANYTHING, even on "the mobile sites". that combined with aging eyesight and the need for something in the range of a 6" screen, I bought my first Android phone since the Samsuck... which I promptly destroyed in less than a year, prompting me to buy my first BLU phone sometime around Christmas 2016 I think.

We've been using them ever since; their strong point being that their product line is generally within 80% performance of the big name flagship phones, at approx 20-30% the cost, even on Amazon. The BIG suck point... really the ONLY one... is a VERY spartan build of Android. Which I for one actually LIKE, aside from a few quirks where I can't turn some shit off like I want to. Well, that and a pretty potato camera... which is NOT a big issue for me anyways. The only thing I use the camera for is the random snappy or pics of hardware for the deliverables portion of a work order.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-X5-5-7-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07ST2T8B2/

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-XL5-6-3-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07SS5HC8D/

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-X5-5-7-Display-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07ST2T8B2/

https://www.amazon.com/N1-6-4-AMOLED-Screen-Display-128GB/dp/B07VHXT1R3/

mnem
*phone-y*

Had about 5 Lumias myself. Went rapidly down the shitter. Firstly they dumped WinCE kernel and made everyone rewrite everything after selling eternal portability. Then they vomited windows 10 into it in the misguided attempt to make it into a hybrid mobile and desktop. Also it got stuck with IE. Followed by Edge which was basically still IE.  Honestly they couldn’t have fucked it harder if they tried.

It could have been good. But fuck it. I went where the apps are.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45338 on: December 18, 2019, 05:54:29 pm »

mnem

The NYPD School Safety Officers are completely unarmed. No side arm and no taser. Can you imagine the outcry if a student were tasered? Even though many of them would deserve it. If there's an incident protocol is assess, get on the radio for backup, restrain or take down if possible and cuff. I worry about her everyday because in the past 9 months she's been injured twice breaking up fights. And the last one nearly put her out on permanent disability. Not a fun job when the animals are in control and the Board of Ed are dumb fucks.   

None of this precludes her "acquiring" one for "recreational" use off the clock.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline Dek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45339 on: December 18, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »
Hi All,

First post on this group.

Thought it time to admit...I'm a .......I'm a .......I'm a TEA
Just got this out of the Bay and it's named after me so I had to have it.
Quick check, looks like all the 'Dek-ades' are OK :-)

Dek

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #45340 on: December 18, 2019, 06:01:21 pm »
Hi All,

First post on this group.

Thought it time to admit...I'm a .......I'm a .......I'm a TEA

It's OK to admit it here, we're here for you.

Just got this out of the Bay and it's named after me so I had to have it.
Quick check, looks like all the 'Dek-ades' are OK :-)

Dek

That's a beautiful example of TEA. You are going to fit right in!  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45341 on: December 18, 2019, 06:08:31 pm »
Welcome to the nuthouse, Dek. Restrooms are over there, there's always breakfast tacos in the hotbox over there. Pay no attention to the sounds of rattle-can painting in the corner over there...  :-DD

mnem
Watch out for the Polack-dwagon inhaling paint fumes in the corner... those limey scone-eaters are shady as fuck also. >:D

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45342 on: December 18, 2019, 06:40:56 pm »
Welcome to the nuthouse, Dek. Restrooms are over there, there's always breakfast tacos in the hotbox over there. Pay no attention to the sounds of rattle-can painting in the corner over there...  :-DD

mnem
Watch out for the Polack-dwagon inhaling paint fumes in the corner... those limey scone-eaters are shady as fuck also. >:D

ya' made me laugh out loud.  (almost enough to make me use an emoji, and that's not part of my idiom)

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45343 on: December 18, 2019, 06:42:36 pm »
Fancy a scone now.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45344 on: December 18, 2019, 06:45:59 pm »

mnem

BREAKFAST TACOS? BREAKFAST TACOS?  NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE BREAKFAST TACOS. YOU SONSBEECHES HAVE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME.  I AM SERIOUSLY PISSED.

:-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45345 on: December 18, 2019, 06:53:48 pm »
Breakfast tacos... Ah you can get lunch time shits instead of bed time shits  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #45346 on: December 18, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »

No, that repair (first picture) was intended to last a few days, applied by the guy who found the leaky pipe two days ago. For sure, he wasn't a redneck. The pipe itself is corroded and has a small pinhole. Maybe the term redneck might apply to the people who did the "interesting wiring", but that happened in the past, before I bought that house.
Copper piping in masonry  ::) a disaster just waiting to happen !

At the least it should be all wrapped in Denso tape or better still replaced with PVC.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45347 on: December 18, 2019, 07:21:22 pm »
I paid $19 for it. My plan B was sell the good tubes and drivers if it was a turd so hardly worth complaining.

I can still turn it into a usable counter with about 3h of effort which is probably worth it. Either that or recycle the enclosure as it’s a nice one with tilt feet.

Edit: new switch just turned up for the PL330QMD so I’ll stick that in tonight
Hang on ere, did you actually pay $19 for it or have you just converted £ to $ for our friends across the pond? If you did pay $, one assumes US$? So, it must have on GSP?, if so claim and you get a double up with a full refund again and then your week just got better  :-DD :-DD

On the acquisition trail again, currently sniffing around a few more bargains, more details to follow if I get them, good prices are a cert.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Dek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45348 on: December 18, 2019, 07:22:28 pm »
Fancy a scone now.  :-DD

Mmmm, fresh TEA and scones .

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45349 on: December 18, 2019, 07:23:08 pm »
BREAKFAST TACOS? BREAKFAST TACOS?  NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE BREAKFAST TACOS. YOU SONSBEECHES HAVE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME.  I AM SERIOUSLY PISSED.

:-DD

Ahem:

...At this point, the eyes of my young interlocutor glazed over, and I stopped ranting.  :horse:

And, yes, I need coffee.

You SO belong here. Have a breakfast taco on me.  :-+
(SNIP)
mnem
Also, I did notice that you're NOT denying my point above...   ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:00:06 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf