Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17861552 times)

onsokumaru and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44925 on: December 14, 2019, 01:08:39 pm »
@Xrunner did you bought an Agilent E4406A in the end ? Decided to unlock mine tonight. Installed the WCDMA, CDMA2000 and Wireless Lan personalities.

Increased the maximum span to 100Mhz 8)

No, I passed on the last batch. They pop up all the time though, so maybe next time ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44926 on: December 14, 2019, 01:14:06 pm »
Humming and hawing over buying this. Someone please do it before I do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153760422192

Edit: too late  :-DD. Figure it'll replace the 6236B as well as a dual rail supply in tracking mode.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:26:45 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44927 on: December 14, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »
go on    go on     go on    go on    go on.

ahhhhhhhh   go on.
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44928 on: December 14, 2019, 01:26:55 pm »
I did it  :-DD

So much for downsizing  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44929 on: December 14, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »

Nah. The only advantage of living where I am is pretty much the ability to buy an onion and laxatives at 3AM on Boxing day morning.

(yes that actually happened)
The mind boggles at that mix of products, those little Asian (open all hours) corner shops do come in pretty handy at times though don't they.

Yeah we've got one over the road. I'll have a bottle of Smirnoff Ice, a fidget spinner, some net curtains, some slippers, one duck egg and a tupperware mop bucket on wheels please!  :-DD

Don't you guys have combo gas (petrol)/convenience stores that stay open 24 hours even on Holidays? I can name at least 5 or 6 within 4 miles of me and I'm in the boonies. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44930 on: December 14, 2019, 01:32:02 pm »
Not until relatively recently. There were some pretty heavy religion based trading laws. No one goes to church unless there's fuck all else to do so they didn't like the competition. Fuck 'em  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44931 on: December 14, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »

Just beat me to it as well, Oh well, there'll be another along in a while, I love TTi gear, may not be the best around but it certainly is bloody good value for your money.

Thanks for the links to the Velleman, I did wonder if it was one of theirs or not, did a Google image search for handheld scopes and found nothing like it at all. I now have the manual etc. thanks, it looks ideal, 5Mhz is more than enough bandwidth for audio stuff which is most of my work for buying, repairing and flipping on again on eBay  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44932 on: December 14, 2019, 01:35:41 pm »
Not until relatively recently. There were some pretty heavy religion based trading laws. No one goes to church unless there's fuck all else to do.

Gotcha, most of those "Blue Laws" fell by the wayside years ago. Even liquor stores can open on Sunday now.

There's one outstanding exception. Many counties in New Jersey still have Sunday no retail laws which means the massive malls down there are closed except for the movie theaters. 

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44933 on: December 14, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »

Too easy ...

Looks pretty clean though.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44934 on: December 14, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »

I knew you would.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44935 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:50 pm »
I'm unhelpable  :-DD

I'm now going to persuade myself to sell the PL154. Or keep it to charge batteries. Hmm

Just beat me to it as well, Oh well, there'll be another along in a while, I love TTi gear, may not be the best around but it certainly is bloody good value for your money.

Sorry  :-DD. I couldn't help it. There's another slightly older one up there at the moment.

Thanks for the links to the Velleman, I did wonder if it was one of theirs or not, did a Google image search for handheld scopes and found nothing like it at all. I now have the manual etc. thanks, it looks ideal, 5Mhz is more than enough bandwidth for audio stuff which is most of my work for buying, repairing and flipping on again on eBay  :-+

Yep they're pretty good little scopes. They actually have a proper ADC in them. Floating measurements are a win too.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44936 on: December 14, 2019, 01:57:54 pm »
The Hakko FM-203 is coming UPS ground. As of this morning still in Colorado. Scheduled delivery Wednesday. I hope there's no crappy weather in the Mid-west to hold it up.  :phew:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44937 on: December 14, 2019, 02:11:29 pm »
Good luck. Really decent iron that  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44938 on: December 14, 2019, 02:25:13 pm »
The Hakko FM-203 is coming UPS ground. As of this morning still in Colorado. Scheduled delivery Wednesday. I hope there's no crappy weather in the Mid-west to hold it up.  :phew:
That takes the T12 tips doesn't it?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44939 on: December 14, 2019, 02:36:58 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153760422192   Edit: too late  :-DD. Figure it'll replace the 6236B as well as a dual rail supply in tracking mode.

If shipping and VAT weren't $100 on top of that, I'd have snatched it out from under ya. I especially like the series/parallel modes available at the push of a button. Makes it one very versatile box full o' angry pixies.  :-+

Same seller still has another one; same price but covered in drecht:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-Thandar-PL320QMD-Quad-Mode-Dual-Output-Power-Supply-32V-3A/153759508912

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thurlby-Thandar-PL320QMD-Quad-Mode-Dual-Output-Power-Supply-32V-3A/153759508912

Even at over CAD$250 to me, I am sorely tempted. Fortunately, Crimbo is upon us so it isn't too painful to pass up. ;)

mnem
Merry Christmas med!!! >:D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:40:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44940 on: December 14, 2019, 02:44:45 pm »
Yeah I looked at that other one, its older design I think and its not got the best of enclosures, but the killer for me was that when I checked the actual size, it was to ffing wide  :palm: :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #44941 on: December 14, 2019, 02:49:17 pm »

Congratz  :clap:, yep, size wise its huge, so better be prepared.

From the s/n, yours are much newer than mine 1808xx vs 1725xx.  :-+

The inside view of mine ...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, doktor pyta, bd139

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #44942 on: December 14, 2019, 02:52:25 pm »
I especially like the series/parallel modes available at the push of a button. Makes it one very versatile box full o' angry pixies.  :-+

Yep, +1  series, parallel, isolated and tracking (4 modes), really love the arrangement buttons, as its so handy when in prototyping or trouble shooting.  :-+

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44943 on: December 14, 2019, 03:01:41 pm »
I'm back into TEA again, just snatched myself a handheld scope for £15, which I thought would ideal for poking about inside mains powered audio amps etc, less space on the bench taken up and less hassle then getting my differential probe out for safety reasons.

I don't know anything about apart from it works, does anyone know what make etc it is, so I can grab a manual for it?

Velleman K7105. https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=nl&lang=en&id=9373

Manual: https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/usermanual_k7105.pdf
Parts: https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/manual_k7105.pdf

Not a bad price :-+. They're not that terrible for audio stuff and better than those horrid JYE things. Plus it's repairable and made of standard parts and you can connect it to your PC.

They are terrible in all respects. Just plain terrible. I got one in a auction box lot years ago with corroded battery compartment; easy fix and I thought it'd be useful for automotive work. It was just plain unusable; horrible SLOW 64x128 spinach-green display (and only about 1/2 that available for viewing signal) with like 4-bit contrast was unreadable in the daylight. And the response was atrocious; I couldn't even catch the trigger pulse on an inductive pickup on a Crank Position Sensor at CRANKING RPM. It just showed a long ramp-up dropping to a plateau jumping up/down that should've looked like a flyback ringing that drops to a plateau at about 20% of vertical deflection. |O

Those $25 kits with the cheap OLED are seriously a more usable scope (within their bandwidth). Yeah... the JYE ones. :palm:

But hey... you'll get to find that our for yourself soon enough.  ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:18:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44944 on: December 14, 2019, 03:10:44 pm »
That takes the T12 tips doesn't it?
Yup. T12/T15.  :-+

mnem

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #44945 on: December 14, 2019, 03:49:10 pm »
Nah. The only advantage of living where I am is pretty much the ability to buy an onion and laxatives at 3AM on Boxing day morning.

No worries about bad breath, you'd be sitting on the dunny all day. :-DD

Not until relatively recently. There were some pretty heavy religion based trading laws. No one goes to church unless there's fuck all else to do.

Gotcha, most of those "Blue Laws" fell by the wayside years ago. Even liquor stores can open on Sunday now.

There's one outstanding exception. Many counties in New Jersey still have Sunday no retail laws which means the massive malls down there are closed except for the movie theaters.

I was born and raised in Hudson County and they didn't have blue laws.  When I was married to the ex, we lived in Bergen County and they did back in the 80's.  I don't doubt they are still in effect.  As a part time 2nd job to help pay a car loan from ex FIL quickly, I worked for an inventory service company.  When we had Saturday evening inventories, we had to be done by midnight, no exceptions. The entire crew came close a couple of times missing the deadline and there were threats of arrest by the county mounties.  On the plus side, we paid that car loan off in 2 years. :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44946 on: December 14, 2019, 04:27:54 pm »
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
TL/DR: DILLIGAF?!?

mnem
(re: GW's sig)
:-DD
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:31:43 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44947 on: December 14, 2019, 04:36:23 pm »

No worries about bad breath, you'd be sitting on the dunny all day. :-DD

I was born and raised in Hudson County and they didn't have blue laws.  When I was married to the ex, we lived in Bergen County and they did back in the 80's.  I don't doubt they are still in effect.  As a part time 2nd job to help pay a car loan from ex FIL quickly, I worked for an inventory service company.  When we had Saturday evening inventories, we had to be done by midnight, no exceptions. The entire crew came close a couple of times missing the deadline and there were threats of arrest by the county mounties.  On the plus side, we paid that car loan off in 2 years. :-+

Whatever county the Garden State Mall is in as well as many of malls along Route 17 are closed on Sunday except things like grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44948 on: December 14, 2019, 04:54:05 pm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153760422192

Edit: too late  :-DD. Figure it'll replace the 6236B as well as a dual rail supply in tracking mode.

That's been on my watch list for over a week (with no real intention of buying it). Those normally go for inflated prices and at that BIN price was a bit of a bargain. I was quite surprised that it was still there the next day, let alone over a week later. I'd expected you to snaffle it days ago.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44949 on: December 14, 2019, 05:03:12 pm »
Yes indeed. Usually £175 or so. I figured I need it. Not sure what for yet but when I do need it if I don’t have it, it’ll be a pain :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf