Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16608358 times)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44900 on: December 14, 2019, 12:26:56 am »
 :wtf: I'm hanging way too much in here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 12:30:33 am by Kosmic »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44901 on: December 14, 2019, 12:30:14 am »
It's a secret.  That's how I make the most of the limited space I've got due to the insane cost of Toronto area real estate.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44902 on: December 14, 2019, 01:01:15 am »
It's those HP feet; they're full of antigravitons. Why do you think you can't find any of them...? They keep floating away.  :-DD

mnem
Damn skippy on the Mega$ Toronto real estate, tho... |O
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:05:50 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #44903 on: December 14, 2019, 01:31:25 am »
It's Aussie gear. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #44904 on: December 14, 2019, 02:42:47 am »
I guess I have some kind of obsession with high resistance meter and electrometer. Found this little puppy on ebay, advertised as broken for parts. Since it was broken I tried negotiating a bit. Worked pretty well and ended up paying less than the Genrad 1644a.

In pristine condition, HP instruments from that era are really quite a sight. The one I got is in pretty good shape, and still has his 2 feet  :)

Neat. I haven't seen one of these before. Added to the POI. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44905 on: December 14, 2019, 03:41:00 am »
Don't know what you guys are talking about, looks fine here!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44906 on: December 14, 2019, 04:08:53 am »
Yeah; I guess I'm trying to understand the WHY here. They already ARE a 4-wire Kelvin connection right to the base of the alligator clip; that 15mm or so of metal means precisely squat. The DE-5000 is accurate to nF AS-IS, and is as accurate at sub-ohm resistance measurement as my 3478A, only it doesn't take a week to settle down to a final measurement. :-+

:-//   So why fuck widdit?

I mean... I could understand making an EXTRA set of longer leads with alligators; to test against the shorties and for convenience' sake. But I certainly would NOT assume that any modification of the clip leads from what the meter was designed with is an "upgrade".

mnem

I am quite aware of the capabilities and limitations of the DE-5000, sir. The test leads are too short for my needs. The alligator clips are shitty. I have an extra test fixture. And you are asking why someone would f**k widdit? In this thread? Are you kidding me?  :-DD

Ahem, now back to my original question... any suggestions on suitable cable?  Yes, thanks, I've seen that vendor and I am trying to avoid buying a roll of the stuff. I haven't found it in smaller chunks yet.

Fair dinkum...  :-+

In that case, (and since I've had some time to think about just such a hack myself) my suggestion would be to get another of the "tweezer" attachments and use that to make your "extra long" clip leads or hardwire the cable from that to your test fixture. ~$22 last I checked, so probably as cheap as you're gonna get the cable anyways & the connector end is already wired. You know the device can compensate for the cable they used therein, and the tweezer you remove becomes a spare. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :-//

mnem
*Current mood: splat*

that is actually quite a good idea, mnem. mahalo!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:11:17 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44907 on: December 14, 2019, 04:15:43 am »
@Xrunner did you bought an Agilent E4406A in the end ? Decided to unlock mine tonight. Installed the WCDMA, CDMA2000 and Wireless Lan personalities.

Increased the maximum span to 100Mhz 8)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:19:06 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44908 on: December 14, 2019, 04:31:32 am »
Wow, it's coming to us from the future too.  :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44909 on: December 14, 2019, 04:36:29 am »
Yeah not sure what's going on with the clock …

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44910 on: December 14, 2019, 05:11:10 am »
This Morning's [RANDOM MODE]...

... brought to you by Hark! A Vagrant

mnem
[/RANDOM MODE] :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44911 on: December 14, 2019, 05:13:22 am »
A little FA 2 is on it's way down-under 👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44912 on: December 14, 2019, 06:52:55 am »
Any Smurfs want a cheap Anchor for Christmas  >:D eBay auction: #153750939174

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44913 on: December 14, 2019, 07:15:31 am »
I guess I have some kind of obsession with high resistance meter and electrometer. Found this little puppy on ebay, advertised as broken for parts. Since it was broken I tried negotiating a bit. Worked pretty well and ended up paying less than the Genrad 1644a.

In pristine condition, HP instruments from that era are really quite a sight. The one I got is in pretty good shape, and still has his 2 feet  :)

Neat. I haven't seen one of these before. Added to the POI. :-+

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-4329a-high-resistance-meter-teardown/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2473674/?topicseen#msg2473674

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2812298/?topicseen#msg2812298

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2813802/?topicseen#msg2813802

;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #44914 on: December 14, 2019, 07:53:04 am »

That is for sure an anchor!  The bloody thing weighs about 75 lbs (34kg for you metrified folks :P ) and is a beast to move around and get on the bench!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44915 on: December 14, 2019, 08:50:07 am »

Surprisingly, for something with so many decades, the datasheet indicates the voltage accuracy is only 0.1%+25uV.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44916 on: December 14, 2019, 09:50:05 am »
Australia is going down the same shitter I understand. My uncle moved out there a few years back (Brisbane) and is moving back here because he says it's better. I don't know if he is an idiot or not. He used to be.

After much reflection this morning, I have decided to stay put. I'm going to sell up, cash in all of my investments and dig through some impending shit, then buy a small house somewhere semi-remote but accessible, attempt to get energy self-sufficient, dig a fucking moat and forget the human race exists.

Here you go @bd start researching  ;) This came across my youtube feed today.Looks like a whole lot of hard yakka to me  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44917 on: December 14, 2019, 10:03:35 am »
Australia is going down the same shitter I understand. My uncle moved out there a few years back (Brisbane) and is moving back here because he says it's better. I don't know if he is an idiot or not. He used to be.

After much reflection this morning, I have decided to stay put. I'm going to sell up, cash in all of my investments and dig through some impending shit, then buy a small house somewhere semi-remote but accessible, attempt to get energy self-sufficient, dig a fucking moat and forget the human race exists.

Here you go @bd start researching  ;) This came across my youtube feed today.Looks like a whole lot of hard yakka to me  :-DD

It ain't so much if you don't have soft townies hands and can drive a chainsaw.  :P

Did a course on this years ago and you can learn the basics in just a week.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44918 on: December 14, 2019, 10:10:00 am »
That smells like a whole load of "can't be arsed" to me. I did have grand plans to build something, to the level of having drawn up relatively detailed plans, but the whole planning nightmare here plus the fact I have to deal with vast amounts of other humans put me off. Also while it's a nice romantic objective, I do know someone who did it and it nearly killed them.

I also tripped over this doing my research which is what inspired me and put me off as well :-DD http://ludens.cl/paradise/paradise.html (some interesting projects elsewhere as well)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44919 on: December 14, 2019, 12:22:23 pm »
Due to the somewhat early onset of Christmas movies on the idiot box  |O I watched the couple of hours of Log Cabin building. No voice over, excellently shot and edited, educational and inspiring  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44920 on: December 14, 2019, 12:26:27 pm »
That smells like a whole load of "can't be arsed" to me. I did have grand plans to build something, to the level of having drawn up relatively detailed plans, but the whole planning nightmare here plus the fact I have to deal with vast amounts of other humans put me off. Also while it's a nice romantic objective, I do know someone who did it and it nearly killed them.

I also tripped over this doing my research which is what inspired me and put me off as well :-DD http://ludens.cl/paradise/paradise.html (some interesting projects elsewhere as well)
Somehow I expected that, once the bugs come out to play, that you'd be hell-bent on getting back into city life again  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44921 on: December 14, 2019, 12:34:39 pm »
Nah. The only advantage of living where I am is pretty much the ability to buy an onion and laxatives at 3AM on Boxing day morning.

(yes that actually happened)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44922 on: December 14, 2019, 12:42:34 pm »
I'm back into TEA again, just snatched myself a handheld scope for £15, which I thought would ideal for poking about inside mains powered audio amps etc, less space on the bench taken up and less hassle then getting my differential probe out for safety reasons.

I don't know anything about apart from it works, does anyone know what make etc it is, so I can grab a manual for it?

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44923 on: December 14, 2019, 12:45:25 pm »
Nah. The only advantage of living where I am is pretty much the ability to buy an onion and laxatives at 3AM on Boxing day morning.

The mind boggles at that mix of products, those little Asian (open all hours) corner shops do come in pretty handy at times though don't they.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44924 on: December 14, 2019, 01:01:22 pm »
I'm back into TEA again, just snatched myself a handheld scope for £15, which I thought would ideal for poking about inside mains powered audio amps etc, less space on the bench taken up and less hassle then getting my differential probe out for safety reasons.

I don't know anything about apart from it works, does anyone know what make etc it is, so I can grab a manual for it?

Velleman K7105. https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=nl&lang=en&id=9373

Manual: https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/usermanual_k7105.pdf
Parts: https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/manual_k7105.pdf

Not a bad price :-+. They're not that terrible for audio stuff and better than those horrid JYE things. Plus it's repairable and made of standard parts and you can connect it to your PC.

The mind boggles at that mix of products, those little Asian (open all hours) corner shops do come in pretty handy at times though don't they.

Yeah we've got one over the road. I'll have a bottle of Smirnoff Ice, a fidget spinner, some net curtains, some slippers, one duck egg and a tupperware mop bucket on wheels please!  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:05:09 pm by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf