Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919252 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44075 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:51 am »
To soon for savings @Brumby ? >:D eBay auction: #163960440176 might suit another local in the market.

A little outside the budget at the moment - and the 2,200km round trip for "local pickup" isn't tickling my fancy to say the least.

But it does look nice.  :)

Seller will post  >:D Only one excuse left and your possible demise at the hands of SHMBO  :-DD

On 30-Nov-19 at 16:35:18 AEDST, seller added the following information:
Happy to post at actual cost from 4570 weight is 5kg 38cm x 30cm x 13 cm. Postage cost will be added when true cost can be determined.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44076 on: December 04, 2019, 12:09:48 pm »
I'm still working on placement of my rack - and you want me to put a second gun to my head?

You're not making this easy - but, then, as an enabler I suppose that doesn't factor into your endeavours too highly.  The clincher is that the budget doesn't allow....

... but it does look nice.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44077 on: December 04, 2019, 12:16:53 pm »
Correct all care for the mission at hand and no responsibility for negative outcomes or fallout of success  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44078 on: December 04, 2019, 12:18:21 pm »
When making glass marbles, ...
-Pat

Yeah... when I was sorting my mother's stuff for the move, I found several handmade glass "ornament beads" from approx 25-75mm that she had bought from another artisan met at one of her shows. They were essentially large marbles of various artistic content with a little flat loop of glass at the top; you could see where the fellow had heated the punty and formed the loop with pliers. She did several orders by mail over the years with him.

I did some slumped glass bits for her using a rosebud torch and working on a piece of 1" thick plate steel; had to heat the steel before I started and keep it heated as I worked so I could lay the softened sheet & bits together on the plate so it would cool slowly enough to not shatter. Real "primitive work", but it gave me a real appreciation for the artisans I remembered seeing at work at Corning Glass as a kid. And for the value of a proper electric kiln.  ;)

mnem
*primitive*

If you guys want to wile away a few hours search YouBoob for "Corning Museum of Glass". They have (sometimes hours long) videos of invited master glass makers making things. Fascinating, educational, relaxing and more addictive than box sets - you have been warned.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44079 on: December 04, 2019, 12:21:20 pm »
Even worse, my foot was caught by the power cord and then the iron was "caught" by my face just across the mouth. Nice burn mark on my lips was the result ...

Enquirer: "How did you do that?"
Bullshot, casually: "Kissed a really hot babe."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44080 on: December 04, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
Correct all care for the mission at hand and no responsibility for negative outcomes or fallout of success  ;D

Have you no shame?  |O :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #44081 on: December 04, 2019, 12:48:51 pm »
My first soldering iron was a Ersa 30.

This is an example from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133018848335

My second one was a Weller WTCP-S:

Currently I own a Weller WD 1000 120W like this one:
https://uk.farnell.com/weller/wd-1000hpt/soldering-station-120w-230v/dp/2629106

And I own as well a JBC HD-2B with two soldering irons: a T470 for the heavy duty stuff and a T245 for the  fine work.
Both soldering irons are connected to the HD-2B via a DIY switch (one cannot connect a T245 directly to a HD-2B. A 6 Ohm high  load resistor in series is needed)

Edit: This is the DIY switch:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:53:08 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44082 on: December 04, 2019, 12:52:49 pm »

As a youth, my motto was "Balls To The Walls, checkered flag or crash." In fact, during my motorcycle and stock car racing days, I was "BTTW Racing". Shame did NOT enter into the equation. ;)

mnem
"Hello my name is bean; have we met...?" :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44083 on: December 04, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44084 on: December 04, 2019, 01:01:08 pm »
When making glass marbles, ...
-Pat

Yeah... when I was sorting my mother's stuff for the move, I found several handmade glass "ornament beads" from approx 25-75mm that she had bought from another artisan met at one of her shows. They were essentially large marbles of various artistic content with a little flat loop of glass at the top; you could see where the fellow had heated the punty and formed the loop with pliers. She did several orders by mail over the years with him.

I did some slumped glass bits for her using a rosebud torch and working on a piece of 1" thick plate steel; had to heat the steel before I started and keep it heated as I worked so I could lay the softened sheet & bits together on the plate so it would cool slowly enough to not shatter. Real "primitive work", but it gave me a real appreciation for the artisans I remembered seeing at work at Corning Glass as a kid. And for the value of a proper electric kiln.  ;)

mnem
*primitive*

If you guys want to wile away a few hours search YouBoob for "Corning Museum of Glass". They have (sometimes hours long) videos of invited master glass makers making things. Fascinating, educational, relaxing and more addictive than box sets - you have been warned.

I grew up about an hour away... I whiled away many hours as a youth in the Corning Glass Museum IRL; got to see them in person and smell the coke ovens. ;)

Another really interesting rabbit-hole to follow is the technical videos on their specialty glass formulas. Crazy-ass shit like bouncing coil & leaf springs and high-speed photography of how their tempered glass shatters with minimal slivering and absorbs much of the impact energy to make a projectile less dangerous. 

mnem
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:04:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44085 on: December 04, 2019, 02:10:24 pm »
Ugh parcelforce being dumbasses today

Only 57 miles away  :palm:

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44086 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46:15 pm »

As a youth, my motto was "Balls To The Walls, checkered flag or crash." In fact, during my motorcycle and stock car racing days, I was "BTTW Racing". Shame did NOT enter into the equation. ;)

mnem

I had a similar testosterone powered approach to driving when I was young - but sold my motorcycle when my first child was born.  I figured he would probably be better off having a father!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44087 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46:58 pm »

mnem

We already know there's no shame in your game. That's a given. But I didn't ask you, I asked Bean. So MYOB.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44088 on: December 04, 2019, 02:48:03 pm »

My resistor order is on the truck for delivery.  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44089 on: December 04, 2019, 02:56:19 pm »

Give them credit for not bullshitting. Nowadays that's sufficient to hold off my anger :(

Since I wasn't in, my parcelforce item is being delivered to my local "depot"... 3min away  :-DD
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44090 on: December 04, 2019, 03:01:05 pm »

"It will be delivered as soon as possible no matter how many attempt to get it right we have to do".  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44091 on: December 04, 2019, 03:03:30 pm »
But it does look nice.  :)

(Attachment Link)

I sure am glad that's in Oz or I'm sure I'd be the brunt of the "you need"  :scared: :-DD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44092 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:57 pm »
Temped to buy other stuff... but I see a tsunami of Xmas packages hitting the delivery chain.
Until Xmas I spend my money in beer.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44093 on: December 04, 2019, 03:06:52 pm »
Temped to buy other stuff... but I see a tsunami of Xmas packages hitting the delivery chain.
Until Xmas I spend my money in beer.

Same here. Already have Christmas presents ordered.....hello Amazon.  But no beer. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44094 on: December 04, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »
6D10 "Compactron" with 3 separate filaments.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44095 on: December 04, 2019, 05:00:29 pm »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44096 on: December 04, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »

mnem
Just for you, buddy.  ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44097 on: December 04, 2019, 05:26:22 pm »

mnem

We already know there's no shame in your game. That's a given. But I didn't ask you, I asked Bean. So MYOB.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

Yeah, but I already knew the answer to THAT question. And let's be honest; so did YOU. :-DD

mnem
...before you even ASKED it. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44098 on: December 04, 2019, 05:39:14 pm »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:40:50 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44099 on: December 04, 2019, 06:12:03 pm »
@mnem when will your truck loads of gear be delivered to you then? I'd have thought that it would have been there by now??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf