Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17323476 times)

shakalnokturn and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43975 on: December 03, 2019, 03:52:37 am »
Ummm... can you keep a lookout for a beater/cheap scope for me?  My searches on fleaBay.ca & CL have been totally sucking ARSE for anything "hobbyist-grade" ever since I got here. |O 

Sure, will let you know if I see something.

I actually considered one of these "just to get me by...":   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1260-$70-100mhz-oscilloscope/

mnem
Wiggly lines elude me.

Don't touch that thing. Definitely not 100Mhz and triggering suck really hard. Dave did a video on that one :

P.S: I got one of those. only use it as isolated scope when I need to probe the primary side of some psu. What could go wrong right  ^-^
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:58:59 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43976 on: December 03, 2019, 03:55:07 am »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43977 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:38 am »

Sure am glad I got my cup in place before I tuned in... I KNEW you'd be ready for a little testicular homicide by now. :-DD

Dude... I had that WTCPN on my bench in ummm...1981. They date back to the mid-70s. People in the soldering business KNEW BETTER back then.   And even IF THEY didn't know better in your little corner of Big Blue RIGHT THEN, they surely did soon after. So  :wtf:'s your excuse for the intervening ummmm... 3 decades or so...?

Had me one o' demm too. Only with the "arc reactor" TIG HF generator and a TWECO spoolgun for aluminum work.   ;)

mnem
*certifiable AND certified* >:D

I was only involved with an area in Big Blue that did hand soldering for about the first 1.5 years (1973-74) of my employment. After that I moved into other jobs and for the balance of my career until forced retirement in 2009 I have no idea what type of soldering equipment they might have migrated to. And as a contractor for IBM from 2009 until January of this year again, no involvement.

And as you have seen the Ungar Imperial has been my loyal and most useful companion right up until I purchased the variable temp unit a month or so ago. I have never really felt the need for anything else and only on rare occasions the Ungar was inadequate.

So.....does THAT answer all your questions and are you fucking happy now???  :o :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43978 on: December 03, 2019, 07:37:26 am »
Anyone looking for a nice frequency standard ?  ^-^

https://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Radio-GENRAD-Frequency-Standard-Measuring-Equipment-c1940/223776422697

MrCarlson, your frequency standard is ready for collection...

Just for the record (and to remind myself how old I am). My first iron with Euro coin for size reference:

McBryce.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:45:40 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #43979 on: December 03, 2019, 07:57:13 am »

Just for the record (and to remind myself how old I am). My first iron with Euro coin for size reference:

McBryce.
Same as the one I first used that was Dad's, but it had a bit bigger tip !
Element gave out when I was a teenager and Dad bought me a lot smaller one for a b'day or xmas, can't remember as that was 45 yrs ago.
Still, its replacement was also a firestick !  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43980 on: December 03, 2019, 08:13:53 am »
Antex XS25 here. That was 38 years ago now  :scared:

I remember after about three days the shitty stiff PVC cable sprung it onto my arm. Mmm bacon  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43981 on: December 03, 2019, 08:32:31 am »
Antex XS25 here.
Inherited one from the father in law, a great little firestick and now my preferred 'away from the bench' iron.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43982 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:34 am »
Yes indeed. They are the least crappy firestick you can get for sure. Very reliable irons.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43983 on: December 03, 2019, 08:45:50 am »
Yes indeed. They are the least crappy firestick you can get for sure. Very reliable irons.
It amazes me how effective they are for just 25W !
They don't mind a bit of wind either when you gotta solder something outside.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43984 on: December 03, 2019, 08:58:39 am »
Yep. Also you can actually solder stuff to a ground plane with them. I’d argue they were better then my 50W weller TCP (new variety). I’m sure I’ve still got mine at my mother’s house somewhere. Will have to go digging at the weekend now  :-DD

This autocorrect is getting out of hand now. It corrected digging to yiffing.  :palm:

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43985 on: December 03, 2019, 09:00:23 am »

McBryce.
Same as the one I first used that was Dad's, but it had a bit bigger tip !
Element gave out when I was a teenager and Dad bought me a lot smaller one for a b'day or xmas, can't remember as that was 45 yrs ago.
Still, its replacement was also a firestick !  :o

My father still uses that one! I also upgraded to an Antex later, but I don't remember which model. I just remember that it had a little plastic hook on the side of the handle??

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43986 on: December 03, 2019, 09:02:12 am »
This autocorrect is getting out of hand now. It corrected digging to yiffing.  :palm:
:-DD
Yep I don't bother trying to post much on the iPad, it's too furking frustrating !  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #43987 on: December 03, 2019, 09:19:38 am »
   Just found myself a home for my HP 8656B - with room for some friends.   ;DeBay auction: #323991523569

Giggity! :-+

Glad you approve.  Picked it up last night.  Cost me just under 2 hours of driving and $25 in tolls.  I could have avoided the tolls, but it would have meant more than 3 hours of driving.

Now the challenge - placing it where I want.  I have to rearrange some of the common area between my desk and SWMBO.

I may be looking at a sequel to this...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43988 on: December 03, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
Antex XS25 here.
Inherited one from the father in law, a great little firestick and now my preferred 'away from the bench' iron.  :)

I used my X25 (no "S") last week, while my legs were dangling through the hole in the kitchen floor resoldering connections to the alarm that notifies everybody that the hole is open :)

My previous iron was literally a red hot poker, heated on the gas hob. I might even be able to find it, sometime.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43989 on: December 03, 2019, 09:59:57 am »
X25 was one of the red ones? They are better than the XS25 again. The XS25 had literally just come out when I got it  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43990 on: December 03, 2019, 10:07:31 am »
The storm has finally passed and there is LOTS of snow out there. I'll post a pix as soon as it gets daylight. It looks like I may get the 6BL8 vacuum tubes today. According to USPS they are at a local distribution center and just might get to my local post office this morning and then delivery. We'll see. UPS on the other hand has wimped out with the resistors. Somewhere between Philly and here and all the tracking now sez is "severe weather delay"  :-//

My Father had one of those big arse irons but I don't recall the wattage or brand. Dunno what happen to it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43991 on: December 03, 2019, 12:36:10 pm »

Y'all know that the Apple predictive typing learns from your frequency of word use, don't you?  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43992 on: December 03, 2019, 12:40:43 pm »
Yes I do indeed. To my knowledge I have only used yiffing three times and all to get someone to be disgusted  :-DD. Thus I suspect this is electronic karma in action.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43993 on: December 03, 2019, 12:45:36 pm »
I used one of the 25W Antexes (nor sure of the exact model number - yellow handle, mains powered) up until the '90s. Replaced it with a 40W temperature controlled Antex (integral control in the handle), which is still around somewhere, until I switched over to the Metcal a couple of years back.

I wouldn't go back, but as far as non-soldering-station irons go I'd probably still recommend the Antex over any similar offerings. I did find that in recent years the replacement bits went to crap. My first bit easily lasted 10 years, subsequent replacements closer to 2 or 3 years (with no change in workloads or solder).

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43994 on: December 03, 2019, 12:49:47 pm »
X25 was one of the red ones? They are better than the XS25 again. The XS25 had literally just come out when I got it  :-DD

Yes, it is red. In what way is it better?

The cable on mine is becomng a little stiff, but the neon in the 13A mains plug still works. (That was the best "you've left it on" indicator available in the mid 70s!).

This site rather likes it: https://www.petervis.com/Electronics_Tools/antex-x25/antex-x25.html "Today, the X25 is highly desirable, and many engineers are looking to find one."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:04:37 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43995 on: December 03, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
Storm over, not quite a foot here. Local schools closed. Just further north 12+ inches recorded. The Governor has declared a state of emergency in several counties including mine. Landlord made a quick pass earlier with the plow. At 9 AM he's coming back and we all have to move our cars so he can clear the entire lot. I'll head out at that time and go grocery shopping. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43996 on: December 03, 2019, 01:23:33 pm »
Ummm... can you keep a lookout for a beater/cheap scope for me?  My searches on fleaBay.ca & CL have been totally sucking ARSE for anything "hobbyist-grade" ever since I got here. |O 
Sure, will let you know if I see something.
I actually considered one of these "just to get me by...":  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1260-$70-100mhz-oscilloscope/

mnem
Wiggly lines elude me.
Don't touch that thing. Definitely not 100Mhz and triggering suck really hard. Dave did a video on that one.

P.S: I got one of those. only use it as isolated scope when I need to probe the primary side of some psu. What could go wrong right  ^-^

Yeah, I know; I put a link to Dave's Blog on the 5012H BoguScope right under the pic there, but eevBlog gagged on the dollar sign (Jeez, you'd think Dave would know better by now :palm:) and broke it.  |O

I was just hoping if I got you to look, some of your good luck might rub off on me.  ;)

Sure am glad I got my cup in place before I tuned in... I KNEW you'd be ready for a little testicular homicide by now. :-DD

Dude... I had that WTCPN on my bench in ummm...1981. They date back to the mid-70s. People in the soldering business KNEW BETTER back then.   And even IF THEY didn't know better in your little corner of Big Blue RIGHT THEN, they surely did soon after. So  :wtf:'s your excuse for the intervening ummmm... 3 decades or so...?

mnem
*certifiable AND certified* >:D

I was only involved with an area in Big Blue that did hand soldering for about the first 1.5 years (1973-74) of my employment. After that I moved into other jobs and for the balance of my career until forced retirement in 2009 I have no idea what type of soldering equipment they might have migrated to. And as a contractor for IBM from 2009 until January of this year again, no involvement.

And as you have seen the Ungar Imperial has been my loyal and most useful companion right up until I purchased the variable temp unit a month or so ago. I have never really felt the need for anything else and only on rare occasions the Ungar was inadequate.

So.....does THAT answer all your questions and are you fucking happy now???  :o :-DD   

Ahhhh... so essentially you've been living/working in a cave since the Carter administration. Gotcha. :-DD

Not ALL...

Yes. Very. >:D

mnem
My work here is done. Time for a power nap.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43997 on: December 03, 2019, 01:46:22 pm »
Antex XS25 here. That was 38 years ago now  :scared:   I remember after about three days the shitty stiff PVC cable sprung it onto my arm. Mmm bacon  :-DD
Effing OWWW!!!  :scared: (from personal experience)

Exactly how I feel about the Weller GT that's been in my site toolbox for 3 decades. Between the 6B & 7A powerheads, you can solder to your welding bench if you have to... or do 90% of component-level repair in the field. 100% closed-loop temp control, baybeee!!!  :-+

Just found myself a home for my HP 8656B - with room for some friends.   ;DeBay auction: #323991523569

Giggity! :-+

Glad you approve.  Picked it up last night.  Cost me just under 2 hours of driving and $25 in tolls.  I could have avoided the tolls, but it would have meant more than 3 hours of driving. Now the challenge - placing it where I want.  I have to rearrange some of the common area between my desk and SWMBO. I may be looking at a sequel to this...
Pretty sure your acting will be exponentially better than his. ;) Hey... you pay for what you want, one way or another. We'll all pray for you during these critical "negotiations".  :-DD

mnem
*currently getting ready to split the home network up into VPN/non-VPV segments*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43998 on: December 03, 2019, 02:02:09 pm »
Steven Seagal does acting too??   :scared:

McBryce.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43999 on: December 03, 2019, 02:06:52 pm »
Storm over, not quite a foot here. Local schools closed. Just further north 12+ inches recorded. The Governor has declared a state of emergency in several counties including mine. Landlord made a quick pass earlier with the plow. At 9 AM he's coming back and we all have to move our cars so he can clear the entire lot. I'll head out at that time and go grocery shopping.

The variance in responses to snow around the world always amuses me. One place's "normal overnight snowfall, not really worth mentioning" is another's "state of emergency declared".

Here in South East England they carry on as if the world is about to end if we get a couple of inches of snow. Heck, 1/2 an inch is enough to make the roads impassable. Not impassable from the snow but from the drivers who have no clue whatsoever how to drive in a teeny tiny bit of the fluffy white stuff.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf