Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16613361 times)

patrickvdb and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43925 on: December 02, 2019, 08:48:30 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

this Heathkit DMM have a Gas lamp for 1 and 2 Nixies. So the overflow is at #199
means when you want to check the AC Voltage what is 230V you have to select 1kV (yes it have  :-+ )
and the display will show you "23" ±1 digit. = ungenau
it`s not a bug, it`s a feature  8)

Yep, got the same one.

so.  on the 20V scale it goes to 19.9 and then what?  does something else light up to indicate an overflow?

using a neon as a "1" is pure genius.  (cheap ass but genius).  have never seen it on an HP thats for sure.

How about a Fluke 8120/8125? Notice the subtle difference between the leading 1 and the others.

Never thought of Fluke as "cheap", especially the military 8125A shown :)

More internal pics at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-8125a-military-dmm-teardown/msg2540730/#msg2540730
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:01:30 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43926 on: December 02, 2019, 08:51:53 pm »
well my $30 offer on that $45 hp 6227b just expired with no response from the seller.

thought he might at least counter offer at 35 or 40.

was my offer so low as to be offensive?  did not mean for that to happen.....thought it was just part of the bargaining process.

No I think it was a fair offer. Not sure why some of them add the option to receive offer and just don't answer ?  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43927 on: December 02, 2019, 08:54:01 pm »
A lot of sellers are like that or are victims of the “ebay turns offers on automatically” shit.

Well just had a fun five minutes. was going to bid on an Elecraft K1 and the sodding connection lagged out because the kids are watching Netflix. Missed it by 2 seconds  :--

Edit: fuck iOS autocomplete making me sound like an idiot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:00:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43928 on: December 02, 2019, 09:03:32 pm »
A lot of sellers are like that or are victims of the “ebay turns offers on automatically” shit.

Well just had a fun five minutes. was going to bid on an Elecraft K1 and the sodding connection lagged out because the kids are watching Netflix. Missed it by 2 seconds  :--

*coughGIXEN & FORGET ITcough*

mnem
*looks about the room with some trepidation*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43929 on: December 02, 2019, 09:05:21 pm »
I can’t be arsed to set it up  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43930 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:28 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

this Heathkit DMM have a Gas lamp for 1 and 2 Nixies. So the overflow is at #199
means when you want to check the AC Voltage what is 230V you have to select 1kV (yes it have  :-+ )
and the display will show you "23" ±1 digit. = ungenau
it`s not a bug, it`s a feature  8)

Yep, got the same one.

so.  on the 20V scale it goes to 19.9 and then what?  does something else light up to indicate an overflow?

using a neon as a "1" is pure genius.  (cheap ass but genius).  have never seen it on an HP thats for sure.

How about a Fluke 8120/8125? Notice the subtle difference between the leading 1 and the others. Never thought of Fluke as "cheap", especially the military 8125A shown :)

well sure.  fluke did a good job of using a neon that matched the size and shape of the nixies.  med's griefkit looks like someone just whacked in the first neon they found.  and it works just fine, but it looks a little......... off.

truth be told, it looks like something i would do.........and i am a jackwagon.

edit   jackwagon - a jack wagon in a mule train was a freight wagon made up parts that were substandard or cannibalized from other broken-down wagons.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:21:50 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43931 on: December 02, 2019, 09:09:52 pm »

Thought you were using Ebay API to script some stuff (mostly search ?). can you just make your own sniping tool ? Would be interesting to combine searching to sniping  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43932 on: December 02, 2019, 09:18:48 pm »

My children have a special VLAN for Netflixing, without v6 routing (because Netflix refuses service to Hurricane Electric tunnel users) that on wireless (they've never really cared for wired networks) has its service quality set to one step below the grown-ups Wi-Fi (which also has v6 and public v4 addresses, because I can.).  As soon as the supply of round tuits replenishes, I'll inject a WAN emulator that makes the connection have 600ms RTT and 10% packet loss from just before bedtime until after they've gone to school.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43933 on: December 02, 2019, 09:26:47 pm »

Yes. iOS is doing that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43934 on: December 02, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »

Thought you were using Ebay API to script some stuff (mostly search ?). can you just make your own sniping tool ? Would be interesting to combine searching to sniping  :-DD

Therein I think lies the humor... this guy is willing to brave the horrors of Scripting Host (or some other similarly Cthulhu-descendant environment) to automate his SEARCH for fleaBay treasure... but NOT the 5 minute Gixen registration (which admittedly, does require that you turn down several politely-phrased requests to upgrade to mirror service) process that would automate the BIDDING process AND have it all operating "set it and forget it" worry-free.

Remember that 12th Commandment...? "Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory." :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43935 on: December 02, 2019, 09:35:27 pm »
well my $30 offer on that $45 hp 6227b just expired with no response from the seller.

was my offer so low as to be offensive?  did not mean for that to happen.....thought it was just part of the bargaining process.

No I think it was a fair offer. Not sure why some of them add the option to receive offer and just don't answer ?  :-//
That was a fixed price offer, not an auction, right?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43936 on: December 02, 2019, 09:37:20 pm »
@mnem: I did actually write my own gixen class module for it but I don’t trust it to spend my money  :-DD. Search has a human step.

@Kosmic: Turned it off now. Too much hassle and distraction! Trying to remain focused

Random question: has anyone used a Condor branded embedded linear power supply? There’s a cheap 24v unit @ 3.6A going and I’m thinking of grabbing it for HF PA stuff.  I can crank it up to 28V DC out. Looks like generic Lm723 design.  It’s cheaper than buying the damn transformer on its own.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43937 on: December 02, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »
Sounds to me like you just answered your own question... As long as nobody sees your post and decides they need that PSU more than you. ;)

Pssst... Gixen also allows you to set up bids in a GROUP... so that if you win ANY ONE item in a group, all the others in that group are cancelled. That's really good for cheap-arse dwagons like me.  ;D

mnem
*back to my tinkery*

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43938 on: December 02, 2019, 09:49:23 pm »
@freqq: did you really have nothing but the midget HP as a power supply? Sorry, but I think you are pulling our legs, aren't you?

ok.  in the spirit of full disclosure i will embarrass myself.

in addition to the tiny hp there is a box of assorted junk raped out of old pc's, and one ancient dinosaur (new jersey electronics?  who the hell were they?)

that is the sum total of my power supply resources.  shameful isn't it?

it may get me shunned,  but it feels good to be out of the closet.

We know the actual truth you couldn't find one with Nixies you liked  ;) Of all the test gear PS's seemed to just jump from Analog to LED to VFD's and skipped Nixies.  :-//
Indeed I have not seen any. But as we all know, that doesn't mean much. Even without the self-builds. Just to be complete, I don't know of a power supply using 'decadic lamp array', decatron, plasma display either. Not so sure about VF. I have a concept drawing for one using a large 10/30-scaled instrument and a two-line VF. But it's unbuilt.
@freqq: those small nixies from clocks etc, they would somehow fit in the usual cutouts. So that should not be a hindrance.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43939 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:53 pm »
And all this talk about -hp- 6227b's! Like I needed to know of it's existence! And that it has the same form factor as the HP6114A and HP6825A. Arrrgh!

Not with my -hp- experiences in the last year. I was looking for the speciall Oltronix as a dedicated non-TM500 symmetrical supply. Wayyy smaller. Except if the 6825 can be conjured back to life and the 6114 turns out fine, maybe?

So the provocation to freqq has backfired all the way. :scared:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43940 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:59 pm »
@mnem: I did actually write my own gixen class module for it but I don’t trust it to spend my money  :-DD. Search has a human step.

@Kosmic: Turned it off now. Too much hassle and distraction! Trying to remain focused

Random question: has anyone used a Condor branded embedded linear power supply? There’s a cheap 24v unit @ 3.6A going and I’m thinking of grabbing it for HF PA stuff.  I can crank it up to 28V DC out. Looks like generic Lm723 design.  It’s cheaper than buying the damn transformer on its own.

For what it's worth, at my old job we used to use tons of Condor linear supplies; they were going into 6kW industrial microwave power supplies used in the semiconductor industry.  I don't recall any issues with them, and we built hundreds of the generators.  24V@3.6A sounds vaguely familiar, too - might have been one of the ones used in the magnet supply for the maggie.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43941 on: December 02, 2019, 10:04:56 pm »

sure.  it is still out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-6227B-DUAL-DC-POWER-SUPPLY/153732549763?hash=item23cb2c8c83:g:SUYAAOSwIbVd1bXJ
free range primate

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43942 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:30 pm »
Gixen is for cheaters. It takes all the fun out of an auction.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43943 on: December 02, 2019, 10:07:04 pm »
Geez....you make it sound like I turned down the opportunity of a life time.  ::) "Solder school" was something like a 2 hour class during work time.  :palm: And this was in the 1970's before SMT. It was all pin thru hole. What the hell were they gonna teach me that I didn't already know? Not much.  |O
I dunno... maybe why a temp-controlled iron is important...? So you'd put away the firestarter and get a proper station... some time before somebody gave you one as a retirement gift in your old age...?  ;)

mnem
*frantically looking about for my athletic cup or some similar form of armor*

Did anyone ever tell you that you can be a total pain in the ass at times?  >:D I'll bet this isn't the first time...maybe the 9999th time.  :-DD  :-DD

There were no temp-controlled irons used in that assembly/test area at that time. We had.....

The Ungar Imperial

The Hexacon Mini

That's it! No fancy shit, no variable temp, no flame throwers.  |O |O

And I hope the wrapped up cables annoy the shit out of you so perhaps you'll leave me alone.  :P :P :P :P >:D :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43944 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:30 pm »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-6227B-DUAL-DC-POWER-SUPPLY/153732549763?hash=item23cb2c8c83:g:SUYAAOSwIbVd1bXJ

Damn you stop with the temptation - that looks to be in decent physical shape...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43945 on: December 02, 2019, 10:14:19 pm »
But how can you really be sure @med ?  :-DD Time to get a calibrated source or meter ....

Spent part of the evening playing with now sharp blades. Brought a set of very poorly sharpened Marples chisels and took to them with stone and then several grades of wet and dry. Still some more to do but the hollows in the faces and the horrid rounding and chips on the tips are now gone not to mention one of them had a small bevel on the back face  :palm:.

Is that sandpaper on glass or a huge stone?
An old fart.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #43946 on: December 02, 2019, 10:22:56 pm »

And I hope the wrapped up cables annoy the shit out of you so perhaps you'll leave me alone.  :P :P :P :P >:D :-DD :-DD

How can I remove those images from my mind now that I've been exposed?  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43947 on: December 02, 2019, 10:33:52 pm »

The Ungar Imperial

The Hexacon Mini

No doubt Sean will be along in a minute to tell us about his first 'soldering iron':  ;)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43948 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:47 pm »

Damn you stop with the temptation - that looks to be in decent physical shape...

-Pat

offer him $30.01 just to see what happens.
free range primate

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #43949 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:06 pm »

i wouldn't worry much about it...

the list of actions that cause human beings to take offense is infinitely long and a surprising number of them are grounded in the belief that the economic value of one's stuff is a reliable proxy for self-worth.  you likely encountered such a person; they are known to frequent ebay, strip clubs and other disreputable places in numbers far exceeding their proportional share of the general population.
specialization is for insects.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf