Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16613559 times)

systemCorrµPti0n and 35 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43900 on: December 02, 2019, 04:24:38 pm »

*Cue flashiebackie music*

(In German accent so thick you'd swear it was Freud himself speaking) "Zo-o young man... do hyou know how to solder...?"

"I know how..." *pause to think about what I'm saying* "I HAVE soldered. I've never been taught how."

"Zat... eez a good honest answer. Zere may be hope for hyou yet. *Plops little scrap PCB on the bench* "Allright... first, tin zee tip... zat's eet, just a little bit. Eet helps zee heat transfer to zee work..."

[/flashback mode]

Looking back on it, that exchange was probably one of several "you passed a test and didn't even know it" moments which secured my place in that "Electronics Dojo", and the "much-more-patient-than-I-deserved" tutelage I received as a result. :o

mnem
Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn... Tell us the lesson thart we should learn: If you don't know what you're doing, be honest about it or keep your mouth shut.

When I joined IBM they wanted to send me to "Solder School". So I was asked "What soldering experience do you have?" To which I replied "About a dozen Heathkits". I was qualified on the spot, didn't have to go.  :-DD
Yeah but you failed to tell them that none of them worked after you soldered them  >:D >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43901 on: December 02, 2019, 04:37:58 pm »

(In German accent so thick you'd swear it was Freud himself speaking) "Zo-o young man... do hyou know how to solder...?"

"I know how..." *pause to think about what I'm saying* "I HAVE soldered. I've never been taught how."

"Zat... eez a good honest answer. Zere may be hope for hyou yet. *Plops little scrap PCB on the bench* "Allright... first, tin zee tip... zat's eet, just a little bit. Eet helps zee heat transfer to zee work..."

[/flashback mode]

Looking back on it, that exchange was probably one of several "you passed a test and didn't even know it" moments which secured my place in that "Electronics Dojo", and the "much-more-patient-than-I-deserved" tutelage I received as a result. :o

mnem
Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn... Tell us the lesson thart we should learn: If you don't know what you're doing, be honest about it or keep your mouth shut.

When I joined IBM they wanted to send me to "Solder School". So I was asked "What soldering experience do you have?" To which I replied "About a dozen Heathkits". I was qualified on the spot, didn't have to go.  :-DD
Yeah but you failed to tell them that none of them worked after you soldered them  >:D >:D

Shhhhhhhhhhh! They might find out and try to fire me.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43902 on: December 02, 2019, 04:55:28 pm »
I've seen the inside of more than a dozen Heathkits and I wouldn't hire anyone on that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43903 on: December 02, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, kj7e, bd139, nixiefreqq, Kosmic, syau

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43904 on: December 02, 2019, 05:13:15 pm »
This comes to mind when I see that and people mentioning going to collect it:

Naa when I see that I imagine this happening instead while hauling it on the snow to med6753's house...

Only an Englishman would try to haul a trailer (OK...caravan  :-DD) that big with a little freaking French Renault.  :P |O :-DD

Better yet;

I doubt that would be legal in the UK - there are regulations about the relative weight of car and trailer.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #43905 on: December 02, 2019, 05:40:44 pm »
Very pretty Martin - especially EL11
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43906 on: December 02, 2019, 05:59:28 pm »
This comes to mind when I see that and people mentioning going to collect it:

Naa when I see that I imagine this happening instead while hauling it on the snow to med6753's house...

Only an Englishman would try to haul a trailer (OK...caravan  :-DD) that big with a little freaking French Renault.  :P |O :-DD

Better yet;

I doubt that would be legal in the UK - there are regulations about the relative weight of car and trailer.

Watch out for Mr. Bean!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43907 on: December 02, 2019, 06:09:20 pm »
I've seen the inside of more than a dozen Heathkits and I wouldn't hire anyone on that  :-DD

I have something for you......

:P :-DD

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43908 on: December 02, 2019, 06:25:23 pm »
7475 is healthy  :)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43909 on: December 02, 2019, 06:27:02 pm »
I love the warm glow of vacuum tubes in the morning.  ;D

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43910 on: December 02, 2019, 06:29:00 pm »
that is a cold gas glow  8)

7475 is a fat stabi.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43911 on: December 02, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »
that is a cold gas glow  8)

7475 is a fat stabi.

Don't care...still like it.  :-DD

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43912 on: December 02, 2019, 06:34:13 pm »
BD139,

when you urgend need a heathkit you can get my not accurate meter. (german: Ungenaumeter)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43913 on: December 02, 2019, 06:37:37 pm »
Everybody ragging on Heathkits. All the Heath's here work just fine and especially the ones I built.  :-+

Yes.....I've seen some pretty shitty constructed Heathkits :palm:

Edit, this one. Was constructed by a group of monkeys with 100 watt irons  :scared:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:46:15 pm by med6753 »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43914 on: December 02, 2019, 06:41:58 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

this Heathkit DMM have a Gas lamp for 1 and 2 Nixies. So the overflow is at #199
means when you want to check the AC Voltage what is 230V you have to select 1kV (yes it have  :-+ )
and the display will show you "23" ±1 digit. = ungenau
it`s not a bug, it`s a feature  8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:45:00 pm by Martin.M »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43915 on: December 02, 2019, 06:49:26 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

this Heathkit DMM have a Gas lamp for 1 and 2 Nixies. So the overflow is at #199
means when you want to check the AC Voltage what is 230V you have to select 1kV (yes it have  :-+ )

Yep, got the same one.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43916 on: December 02, 2019, 06:55:01 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

Yep, got the same one.

so.  on the 20V scale it goes to 19.9 and then what?  does something else light up to indicate an overflow?

using a neon as a "1" is pure genius.  (cheap ass but genius).  have never seen it on an HP thats for sure.
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43917 on: December 02, 2019, 07:02:15 pm »

so.  on the 20V scale it goes to 19.9 and then what?  does something else light up to indicate an overflow?

using a neon as a "1" is pure genius.  (cheap ass but genius).  have never seen it on an HP thats for sure.

Yes, as I recall on the left side is some sort of overflow light.

Heath was famous for going "cheap ass but genius" on a lot of their designs.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43918 on: December 02, 2019, 07:04:18 pm »

More Postcards From the Edge (of the nice dry Garage)...

...This Morning's Cardio!

mnem

You Might Be in Canada, Eh...?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:06:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43919 on: December 02, 2019, 07:08:22 pm »
Explain for ungenau.

Except you didn't explain "ungenau" = inexact/imprecise.

Germans inject "genau" as a one word interjection in a conversation in just the same way that English speakers use "exactly".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43920 on: December 02, 2019, 07:36:46 pm »

[/flashback mode]   Looking back on it, that exchange was probably one of several "you passed a test and didn't even know it" moments which secured my place in that man's "Electronics Dojo", and the "much-more-patient-than-I-deserved" tutelage I received as a result. :o

mnem
Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn... Tell us the lesson that we should learn: If you don't know what you're doing, be honest about it or keep your mouth shut.
When I joined IBM they wanted to send me to "Solder School". So I was asked "What soldering experience do you have?" To which I replied "About a dozen Heathkits". I was qualified on the spot, didn't have to go. :-DD
Shhhhhhhhhhh! They might find out and try to fire me.  :-DD
I have something for you......     :P :-DD

While there is vast truth in this statement... both quantitatively and qualitatively... my honest reaction was more one of "Wait.... what...? You turned down an opportunity to get FREE training AND get paid for taking it?  :wtf: izza matta wiff you...?!?" :-DD

You NEVER know what you might learn... there is no way anybody can know all there is to know about anything. Long after Basche "taught" me how to solder... I was given the chance to take a 3-week "Certified Soldering" seminar at the company's expense. While much of it WAS in fact old hat, I learned a LOT about the SCIENCE of soldering, where most of what I had was skill in the ART thereof. Trust me, there is a vast gulf between the two states.  :-+

Also, especially in this day & age, one should NEVER turn down ANY opportunity at free training in ANYTHING one is even REMOTELY interested in. :horse:

mnem
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:41:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43921 on: December 02, 2019, 07:48:45 pm »
got to wondering how hp DID did handle that extra digit in nixie voltmeters.

answer - with an array of incandescent backlight bulbs.

someone (really don't remember....maybe me?)  replaced some of them with colored led's in this unit.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43922 on: December 02, 2019, 08:13:20 pm »

While there is vast truth in this statement... both quantitatively and qualitatively... my honest reaction was more one of "Wait.... what...? You turned down an opportunity to get FREE training AND get paid for taking it?  :wtf: izza matta wiff you...?!?" :-DD

You NEVER know what you might learn... there is no way anybody can know all there is to know about anything. Long after Basche "taught" me how to solder... I was given the chance to take a 3-week "Certified Soldering" seminar at the company's expense. While much of it WAS in fact old hat, I learned a LOT about the SCIENCE of soldering, where most of what I had was skill in the ART thereof. Trust me, there is a vast gulf between the two states.  :-+

Also, especially in this day & age, one should NEVER turn down ANY opportunity at free training in ANYTHING one is even REMOTELY interested in. :horse:

mnem

Geez....you make it sound like I turned down the opportunity of a life time.  ::) "Solder school" was something like a 2 hour class during work time.  :palm: And this was in the 1970's before SMT. It was all pin thru hole. What the hell were they gonna teach me that I didn't already know? Not much.  |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43923 on: December 02, 2019, 08:25:02 pm »
Geez....you make it sound like I turned down the opportunity of a life time.  ::) "Solder school" was something like a 2 hour class during work time.  :palm: And this was in the 1970's before SMT. It was all pin thru hole. What the hell were they gonna teach me that I didn't already know? Not much.  |O
I dunno... maybe why a temp-controlled iron is important...? So you'd put away the firestarter and get a proper station... some time before somebody gave you one as a retirement gift in your old age...?  ;)

mnem
*frantically looking about for my athletic cup or some similar form of armor*
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:33:16 pm by mnementh »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43924 on: December 02, 2019, 08:44:31 pm »
well my $30 offer on that $45 hp 6227b just expired with no response from the seller.

thought he might at least counter offer at 35 or 40.

was my offer so low as to be offensive?  did not mean for that to happen.....thought it was just part of the bargaining process.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf