Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732102 times)

bd139, Vince and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43600 on: November 28, 2019, 04:08:29 am »
Stop with the Flavoured "Coffee" it is floor sweepings with scunge to cover its lack of quality  ::)

Hegh qotlh ghaH 'Iv qab qa'vIn tlhutlh  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43601 on: November 28, 2019, 05:42:29 am »
HeghwIj pagh vISov!  :-// "You've got to die of something." (it loses a bit in the translation due to sentence structure and Klingon lack of a concept for the uncertainty of death)

No matter where it comes from the flavoring is added after it is ground; so unless I want to follow down your particular rabbit-hole and roast it, grind it, select the perfect hazelnut extract and infuse it myself with all the specialized equipment required therefore, I'll have to trust others to make my dessert brew for me. I will never resort to hazelnut creamer or syrups again; I've never REALLY liked the flavor (overwhelming chemical taste and sticky, like artificial strawberry or watermelon flavoring) and now my body will not tolerate it.  :P

I like this particular hazelnut coffee. The flavor is much like my once-preferred Chock Full O' Nuts with a good stiff belt of Frangelico in it, and it DOES taste like coffee, unlike the Gevalia my mother sometimes drank as a dessert. I like Horton's coffee in general; no matter how plebeian you may feel it is, and I have no good reason to believe it isn't the same coffee as their unflavored beans, which I've tried ground in-store so I could get a proper coarse perk grind. I'm trying a bag of 8 O' Clock 100% Columbian similarly ground right now, which does honestly beat Horton's Pre-ground Coffee all hollow, plus a lot less to strain through your teeth as everything ready-made is now ground fine to medium-fine because of fucking drip-brew and the gawddamn coffee-pod-people invasion. |O

mnem
"If every pork chop were perfect, we'd never have bratwurst."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:46:20 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43602 on: November 28, 2019, 08:19:52 am »
@Zucca: is it urgent and do you have 115V? I still have the Transistor Devices DLP 50-80-1000 not converted to 230V. But I procured an adaptor for the strange power input.
And of course the EL300N, which I do not want to keep, but you have to hotwire it for dynamic loading somehow.

Not urgent, I am just rushing into the TEA with full throttle... your devices are rather interesting and unique rare animals... but they go in direction and I would like something newer.
I really appreciate your help... If you come in Munich we go drink one together und wir werden auf Deutsch reden.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:23:20 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43603 on: November 28, 2019, 08:21:21 am »

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43604 on: November 28, 2019, 08:24:23 am »
@Zucca: is it urgent and do you have 115V? I still have the Transistor Devices DLP 50-80-1000 not converted to 230V. But I procured an adaptor for the strange power input.
And of course the EL300N, which I do not want to keep, but you have to hotwire it for dynamic loading somehow.

Not urgent, I am just rushing into the TEA with full throttle... your devices are rather interesting and unique rare animals... but they go in direction boat anchor and I would like something newer.
I really appreciate your help... If you come in Munich we go drink one together und wir werden auf Deutsch reden.

What are your actual needs for a DC load. What's the highest Voltage and Watts you require?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43605 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:21 am »
What are your actual needs for a DC load. What's the highest Voltage and Watts you require?
McBryce.

Hi Bryce, if I look back in the last 4 years here were my user cases:

V: 90%<40V 10% 40V<x<50V
W: 80%<300W 20%>300W <--- in this 20% case the more the better.
I: did not care too much but it must be 30A at least with 1mA setting capability. the LD400P low und high range is just perfect for my needs.

Anyway I am somehow already TEA addicted to the LD400P, I think it is just a matter of time now.  :horse:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:26:58 am by zucca »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #43606 on: November 28, 2019, 09:14:50 am »

I: did not care too much but it must be 30A at least.
That rules out the 760 Euro SDL1030X-E  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43607 on: November 28, 2019, 09:16:12 am »
I have one of the smaller Maynuo units and I'm extremely happy with it. They go up to 150V / 300W. Not an anchor and a lot cheaper than €1500.

http://www.maynuo.com/english/xpro.asp?pid=52

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43608 on: November 28, 2019, 09:16:44 am »
Ugh don't get me started on those fucking Honeywell thermostats. On my third set.  The buttons on the remote also pack in once every 3 months as well so I have to take it to bits and IPA the membrane contacts!

Is it one of these evil shits?

(please excuse my lazily painted over wallpaper  :-DD)
I have the older version of that one here. My favourite quirk: no matter what temperature you actually enter, the first setback period on a Tuesday will automagically change to 7.0 C.

Just had one battery die suddenly, when it tried to switch the relay. There had been no low battery warning, and when I opened it up there was corrosive goo everywhere. Cleaned up OK though, I just caught it in time. The stupid thing is, the thermostat positions here are wired with neutral available...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43609 on: November 28, 2019, 09:36:50 am »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184048025134

It's a Maynuo M9713

This is a nice puppy but the Maynuo user interface is a step back compared with the LD400P, and no LAN interface.
Bryce I just sold a BK8500 and I had sometimes stability problem with the RS232 PC interface.

I am looking for a decent upgrade.

Don't get me wrong Maynuo are quite good but after two years I was somehow user interface speaking tired of it.
I think we are leaving the budget/spec number and going in my personal taste territory... ( which is scary stay out if it if you can ;D )

Bryce thanks for your advises, wenn du in München bist dann werden wir ne' Halbe zusammen trinken....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43610 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:53 am »
Classic herpes, the delivery confirmation for 5kg pet food to my mother. Well, perhaps not classic since it arrived safely, and I suppose the driver didn't have sufficient delivery options.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:11:31 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43611 on: November 28, 2019, 11:13:25 am »
True story happened to me yesterday:

Oh I can try this new DC Load now... cool.
Just connect it to this PSU and let it go, read the manual? Kidding me I am an expert...
crap the DC load it stays in CV and do not switch in CC.
cable are ok
grab another DMM to double check...
[10 minutes and a lot of cassing later]
the psu is working fine... what is going on with this DC load....
[10 minutes and a more cassing later]
ok I read the manual...
[5 minutes later]
got it, it's a PSU not a DC load....

No further details will be provided.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43612 on: November 28, 2019, 12:01:25 pm »
Classic herpes, the delivery confirmation for 5kg pet food to my mother. Well, perhaps not classic since it arrived safely, and I suppose the driver didn't have sufficient delivery options.

That's hilarious. At least they didn't boot it over the fence or something.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43613 on: November 28, 2019, 12:55:18 pm »

was curious about the culture of the great white north. so naturally i made the mistake of googling tim hortons. most of what came up revolved around an unspeakable incident of which i will not speak.
<snip>
From up here, there have been several "incidents" in recent memory that happened to happen at a Tim Horton's; much like down in Tejas, where it seems like every other day you're hearing about a incident at some Wally World. But UNLIKE there, those incidents do NOT involve guns. |O

I believe that the incident nixie alludes to was one involving the primal simian urge to throw one's own dung as a method of expressing disapproval.

It says a lot about the difference between the two countries that in crossing the 49th parallel the quality of a nationally notorious incident changes from "shit hurled" to "24 dead" and a year and a half later the first incident is still notorious while the second is nearly forgotten and becomes "Exactly which of the 19 mass shootings last year are you talking about?".

That was just going to be a passing comment, but I've had a moment to reflect and the true horror of our response is sinking in. We just get used to shit don't we? Not just shit but evil shit that desperately needs something doing about it; but some part of our tiny little monkey brains lets us just pack it off into a corner and start fussing over something inconsequential instead. And we have the temerity to call ourselves intelligent.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43614 on: November 28, 2019, 01:04:59 pm »
For the gang in the USA: have a good Thanksgiving. My intention is to pig out later today then fall asleep.  ;D No "diet" this week. All bets are off...back on the diet next week.  :-//

19 degrees F here and all is quiet in "Rocky Mountain High" Colorado.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43615 on: November 28, 2019, 01:05:15 pm »
HeghwIj pagh vISov!  :-// "You've got to die of something." (it loses a bit in the translation due to sentence structure and Klingon lack of a concept for the uncertainty of death)

No matter where it comes from the flavoring is added after it is ground; so unless I want to follow down your particular rabbit-hole and roast it, grind it, select the perfect hazelnut extract and infuse it myself with all the specialized equipment required therefore, I'll have to trust others to make my dessert brew for me. I will never resort to hazelnut creamer or syrups again; I've never REALLY liked the flavor (overwhelming chemical taste and sticky, like artificial strawberry or watermelon flavoring) and now my body will not tolerate it.  :P

I like this particular hazelnut coffee. The flavor is much like my once-preferred Chock Full O' Nuts with a good stiff belt of Frangelico in it, and it DOES taste like coffee, unlike the Gevalia my mother sometimes drank as a dessert. I like Horton's coffee in general; no matter how plebeian you may feel it is, and I have no good reason to believe it isn't the same coffee as their unflavored beans, which I've tried ground in-store so I could get a proper coarse perk grind. I'm trying a bag of 8 O' Clock 100% Columbian similarly ground right now, which does honestly beat Horton's Pre-ground Coffee all hollow, plus a lot less to strain through your teeth as everything ready-made is now ground fine to medium-fine because of fucking drip-brew and the gawddamn coffee-pod-people invasion. |O

mnem
"If every pork chop were perfect, we'd never have bratwurst."

And in a self-fulfilling prophecy, I'm going to move onto something inconsequential...

The solution to all your problems, and the way to a much better cup of Joe, is to keep an eye out for a decent coffee grinder on your next few trips out around the goodwill/thrift shops/whatever they call them in the Great White North*. Grinding the stuff from freshly roasted beans just makes an indescribable degree of improvement in your cup of hot wet brown caffeine solution. If you are so minded to want it hazelnut tinged then with a grinder you can achieve that by adding some actual roast hazelnuts to the mix.

*In the modern day I always double take when I see that phrase. It sounds like something a racist SOB would use to describe their idea of Utopia.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43616 on: November 28, 2019, 01:14:39 pm »
Also for the Americans... https://hamhijinks.com/man-climbs-tower-wont-come-down-until-family-leaves/

Satire but how i’d do thanksgiving :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43617 on: November 28, 2019, 01:19:11 pm »
Also for the Americans... https://hamhijinks.com/man-climbs-tower-wont-come-down-until-family-leaves/

Yeah, but the headline for you would be "Man stages siege on radio mast with flamethrower, vows not to come down until 'the out-laws are toast'".

Editted to add: There's a tiny, teeny-weany possibility that this might be what Freud called 'transference'.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:20:47 pm by Cerebus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43618 on: November 28, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »

Yeah, but the headline for you would be "Man stages siege on radio mast with flamethrower, vows not to come down until 'the out-laws are toast'".

Thanksgiving is absolutely a time for family fights.  :-DD Festering issues seem to be magnified by turkey, closeness, and of course, alcohol. Cops are kept real busy with domestic calls in between some drunk trying to use a turkey fryer and burning the house down.  :palm:

Edit: Luckily no drama here...at least none that I'm aware of.  :o ;D :-DD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:27:08 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43619 on: November 28, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »
Turkey fryer accident videos are quite amusing I find. Also yes I probably would use a flame thrower. Although if have to work out a way of getting fuel up there with minimum effort.

Edit: I think the amusement comes from the look on peoples faces when they simultaneously discover displacement and what happens when you mix boiling oil, water and fire. Plus the concern over what remains of their nice deck :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:31:32 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43620 on: November 28, 2019, 01:33:44 pm »

<snip>

*In the modern day I always double take when I see that phrase. It sounds like something a racist SOB would use to describe their idea of Utopia.

So it sounds like the indoctrination by the SJW language police is working very well.  Having grown up with SCTV and the McKenzie Brothers, The Great White North has meant Canada to me for as long as I can recall.  I can't fathom deriving racism from those words.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43621 on: November 28, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »
Na, it's the proliferation of knuckle dragging anti-social injustice cowards (AICs) using the term to mean something sinister rather than simply 'not any other colour' that's the sensitising factor here.

Also over here 'The Great White North' never really caught on as a phrase designating Canada, eh. Nowadays I'm more likely to designate it as "The frozen hell-hole of Hoth" thanks to indoctrination by one its more colourful inhabitants.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:04:12 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43622 on: November 28, 2019, 04:05:51 pm »
Plus the concern over what remains of their nice deck :)

Deck, eyebrows, hair, house...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43623 on: November 28, 2019, 04:11:30 pm »

<snip>

So it sounds like the indoctrination by the SJW language police is working very well.  Having grown up with SCTV and the McKenzie Brothers, The Great White North has meant Canada to me for as long as I can recall.  I can't fathom deriving racism from those words.
-Pat

As Cerebus observes, there is so much power in words, and what they mean is slightly different to different people. To me, "white" in the above phrase means nothing but "snow", but I am quite free from oppression.  And this of course since I generally find Canada an order of magnitude more sensible and decent than its southern neighbour. At least that is what it looks like from here, across the sea.

/wearing the SJW t-shirt with some European pride.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43624 on: November 28, 2019, 04:15:05 pm »
True story happened to me yesterday:

Oh I can try this new DC Load now... cool.

(Much fettling and cussing later...)

got it, it's a PSU not a DC load....

No further details will be provided.

I: did not care too much but it must be 30A at least.
That rules out the 760 Euro SDL1030X-E  :(

Three Coathangers: Free with Dry Cleaning. Ginormous Bowl of Water: Snurched From Neighbor's Dog. 15 Minutes to Wrap & Solder: US$21.25.

Look on zucca's face: PRICELESS.
    >:D

That's hilarious. At least they didn't boot it over the fence or something.

Given the explicit description in the delivery confirmation, my first thought was that it was a kibble's-eye-view of the delivery after the courier unzipped the bag & poured the contents through the mail slot...  :-DD

mnem

NO ZOOP FOR YOU!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:11:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf