Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16613740 times)

factory, systemCorrµPti0n and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43401 on: November 24, 2019, 10:55:59 pm »
Tea and coffee looked shit so I got myself a Costa on the way home  :-DD

Just put the Christmas tree up. Unfortunately bought some new lights and the sodding things were battery powered. 200 LEDs battery powered  :palm:  Fortunately it has a 3 cell AA holder thus 4.5V. Pulled 100mA so I dug out an old Nokia charger and a USB cable and did some surgery and added 4.7 ohms in series to drop half a volt. Problem solved and it didn’t cost a penny to fix!
Yep, I'm doing the same thing myself this year, we have lots of battery powered lights in the house because the power sockets are never where you want them. And because of the cost of batteries I have already started modifying the battery packs with the help of a dropper resistor to run of phone chargers. The chargers of choice that I went with have 6 outlets rated at 4A and have been making up some leads with USB plugs on them and connecting to the battery packs. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43402 on: November 24, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
Cool stuff. I have a box of Nokia AC-60x's that were waiting for jobs here. Finally got a use for them (after about 5 years!)  :-DD

Recycling an old mnem post....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43403 on: November 24, 2019, 11:23:49 pm »
Today I won myself another of those Teac CR-H250 CD receivers on evil bay for £1. Seller stated that the DAB module was not working but he had been assured that it was an easy fix. Like hell, that part is unobtainable and is a common failing on them along with the power transformer and the tactile push buttons and it was collection only, just 8 miles away. I messaged the seller asking when I could collect and pay (marked as cash on collection).

I get a message back apologising but the item was not available due to it being immersed in water and was now in the bin and blaming his teenage daughter  :wtf: I reckon that he thought that it would fetch more than £1 and didn't to let me have it. I'll be watching to see if he relists it but with shipping rather than collection.

EDIT:
I have a couple without the DAB module, so I'm looking around for a suitable Bluetooth module that I could fit internally in place of the DAB unit and connect it up to the Aux or Tape inputs and tap into the 5v rail in the unit and then flip them on eBay, seems like a plan to me. :-+
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:29:10 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43404 on: November 24, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »
Ahh it sounds like you narrowly avoided a bollocks merchant there  :-DD

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43405 on: November 24, 2019, 11:25:37 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/this-keithley-2001-need-to-be-saved!/

...following another rabbit hole further down I set up my Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO today:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43406 on: November 24, 2019, 11:32:52 pm »
Personally @URI, I'd be inclined to rescue that poor damsel from that large rabbit hole and play around with her, unless she is bat shit crazy redhead, in which case shove her further down the hole  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43407 on: November 24, 2019, 11:40:48 pm »
Ahh it sounds like you narrowly avoided a bollocks merchant there  :-DD
I think you might be right there, annoyingly that was the first thing I've won on eBay for some time now. Perhaps I'll have better luck with the Bluetooth conversions on the others I have. Maybe I ought to investigate putting the Bluetooth inside a small plastic project case and plugging it into the Aux sockets for the audio and repurpose one of the Remote control sockets as a 5v supply to the unit, or use a spare phone charger and  USB lead?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Doom-the-Squirrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43408 on: November 24, 2019, 11:58:56 pm »
Does five Fluke products qualify me for this group?

In no particular order, I own a Fluke 115, an 87V, and 88V, a 376, and a 365.

Sure, I think it qualifies. If you post pics it practically guarantees instant membership.  8)

I'll do it after I go back to work on Wednesday.
Most of my stuff is there.

Offline Doom-the-Squirrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43409 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:04 am »
This is a broad church :)

Judging from a lot of us, and all the talk of comestibles, this is a broad bottomed church.

Isn't there a song like that?  ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #43410 on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:34 am »
Cool stuff. I have a box of Nokia AC-60x's that were waiting for jobs here. Finally got a use for them (after about 5 years!)  :-DD

Recycling an old mnem post....

Add to your collections  :-DD eBay auction: #254429915162 Noticed on yesterdays trawl. My collection is worth at least double  :palm:

Same seller

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:08:04 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43411 on: November 25, 2019, 01:40:35 am »

Looks like you found Cerebus some of his cherished C&A knickers... :-DD

Add to your collections  :-DD eBay auction: #254429915162 Noticed on yesterdays trawl. My collection is worth at least double  :palm:      Same seller 

Pfffft...  amateur. Hoeing out for the move, I THREW AWAY more than that as "not safe to give away". I Goodwill-ed easily twice as many as THAT. And I STILL stashed a 30gal tote in the trailer full of "just the essential" types and voltages. And cords/plugs cut off the "unsafe" ones. :palm:

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:02:30 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #43412 on: November 25, 2019, 02:08:20 am »
My voltage calibrator showed up today.  A little beat up..

Why oh why do people write their name on their test gear in permanent marker? Why?   |O

But working...

Compared to my DMMCheckPlus, which is cal'd at 4.99999V, not bad. 

A more careful check suggests that I need to calibrate it at zero and nineteen voltages but it is within spec already everywhere but at the ends.

A useful tool this will be and I will surely soon forget the fact that I paid more for than I planned because I forgot to delete a snipe.   :palm:

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43413 on: November 25, 2019, 05:53:48 am »

Agreed, this shit called "American Cheese" isn't fit for consumption. Real Cheddar or IMPORTED Swiss on the other hand is good. DOMESTIC Swiss is shit too.

Our cheese tray this weekend consisted of a ripe Appenzeller, a very potent Pecorino and to wrap things up, a Dolce Grogonzola, that practically melts.  For the friends-over event Saturday, we had it with 2001 Moulin Touchais, which is a very, very good wine with cheese.

We have some wonderful cheese in our country, like the Västerbotten, so only where the local dairy has taken the concept further and refined it would I consider taking the local clone of something foreign (there is, for instance, a Cheddar dairy in Sweden in Kvibille that turns out really good product).

Besides, "swiss" as a label on cheese is so nondescript that it is silly. You can't lump Gruyère, Emmental and Appenzeller together and label them "Swiss" without explaining.  And nobody who had tasted the originals would.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43414 on: November 25, 2019, 06:17:30 am »

Agreed, this shit called "American Cheese" isn't fit for consumption. Real Cheddar or IMPORTED Swiss on the other hand is good. DOMESTIC Swiss is shit too.

Our cheese tray this weekend consisted of a ripe Appenzeller, a very potent Pecorino and to wrap things up, a Dolce Grogonzola, that practically melts.  For the friends-over event Saturday, we had it with 2001 Moulin Touchais, which is a very, very good wine with cheese.

We have some wonderful cheese in our country, like the Västerbotten, so only where the local dairy has taken the concept further and refined it would I consider taking the local clone of something foreign (there is, for instance, a Cheddar dairy in Sweden in Kvibille that turns out really good product).

Besides, "swiss" as a label on cheese is so nondescript that it is silly. You can't lump Gruyère, Emmental and Appenzeller together and label them "Swiss" without explaining.  And nobody who had tasted the originals would.

Given you have also unleashed Surstromming on the tastebuds of the world I would be approaching Swedish cheeses with caution.

Potato helped btw but even with a Beer chaser I won't be going there again in a hurry  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43415 on: November 25, 2019, 06:41:10 am »

Given you have also unleashed Surstromming (Attachment Link) on the tastebuds of the world I would be approaching Swedish cheeses with caution.

Potato helped btw but even with a Beer chaser I won't be going there again in a hurry  ;)

Beer is essential, but you need distilled drinks for surströmming. Preferably swedish vodka or some of the Nordic aquavits, like Lysholms Linie or Aalborg Jubilæum.  Me, I've tried it once, and I won't repeat that.

The Västerbotten, OTOH, is clearly up there with the best of traditional craft cheese. Simply awesome.

Edit: T.E.A. related; I _think_ we got approval for test instruments in next years budget. Off to hunt for a network tester that can do IEEE1588-2008 and OTDR, along with Ethernet load tests.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:47:06 am by mansaxel »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43416 on: November 25, 2019, 08:54:06 am »
/albums/x462/mnemennth/GeezelMorningAfter.jpg[/img]
"And then you wake up one morning passed out on the lawn in your underwear... No, wait; somebody ELSE'S underwear... on somebody ELSES'S lawn... in a different COUNTY..." ~tales of a misspent youth

Yes, but whether the underwear is "La perla" or "C&A*" tells you quite how good a night you had.

*A defunct, low end, high-street chain from the UK.

"Why do Essex girls buy their knickers from C&A?"
"I don't know, Why do Essex girls buy their knickers from C&A?"
"So they can tell they have them on the right way around."

Actually, C&A is a Dutch company, from Sneek and now based in Belgium. That doesn't make tham any less low-end of course.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43417 on: November 25, 2019, 09:40:30 am »
My voltage calibrator showed up today.  A little beat up..

Why oh why do people write their name on their test gear in permanent marker? Why?   |O

But working...

Compared to my DMMCheckPlus, which is cal'd at 4.99999V, not bad. 

A more careful check suggests that I need to calibrate it at zero and nineteen voltages but it is within spec already everywhere but at the ends.

A useful tool this will be and I will surely soon forget the fact that I paid more for than I planned because I forgot to delete a snipe.   :palm:

That looks like a smaller version of my delightful Power Designs 2020 PSU. 20V, 2A, 1mV "thumbwheels", 1mV vernier , LM399 based, now in a nice resprayed blue case.

and https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1839581/#msg1839581
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43418 on: November 25, 2019, 10:25:48 am »

To remove the permanent marker on your equipment, get a Dry White wall Marker and scribble over the permanent marker and you will see it begin to lift off. Wipe it off with a suitable dry cloth and repeat if necessary, this method works for me nicely.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43419 on: November 25, 2019, 10:46:05 am »
I've just stumbled on BD139 selling himself, anyone interested in buying him, please PM me  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43420 on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:26 am »
Acetone, Xylene, Citrus Goo remover and IPA - FAILED  :-// Not fussed particularly but a pain if I decide to sell it on.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43421 on: November 25, 2019, 11:05:30 am »
Acetone, Xylene, Citrus Goo remover and IPA - FAILED  :-// Not fussed particularly but a pain if I decide to sell it on.
Get yourself a Dry White Wall Marker and try that. Works OK for me but depending on the surface, if it is a bit dimply then you may have a some faint residue left but it should knock it back a lot and will be less noticeable.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43422 on: November 25, 2019, 02:08:38 pm »
Heading to Colorado tomorrow (Tuesday) for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Unfortunately going to be heading directly into the middle of this mess:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.839&lon=-104.6719#.XdvfWNV7mMo

Supposed to land at DIA at 8:30 AM their time. Right now flight status sez on time. You can bet that will change. I'm leaving from Newark Airport in Jersey. I have a feeling it will delay at Newark. Fun, fun.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43423 on: November 25, 2019, 02:25:38 pm »
Heading to Colorado tomorrow (Tuesday) for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Unfortunately going to be heading directly into the middle of this mess:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.839&lon=-104.6719#.XdvfWNV7mMo

Supposed to land at DIA at 8:30 AM their time. Right now flight status sez on time. You can bet that will change. I'm leaving from Newark Airport in Jersey. I have a feeling it will delay at Newark. Fun, fun.

Med, remember - it is much better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way 'round...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43424 on: November 25, 2019, 02:44:30 pm »
That yellow plastic is a stain magnet. I've had minor blemishes stick like crazy too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf