Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18198044 times)

wkb, tautech, MVSantos and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42325 on: November 06, 2019, 05:33:16 pm »
Ooh you might be lucky there. I love how they've sold out everywhere  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #42326 on: November 06, 2019, 05:48:42 pm »

After waiting since Sept 27, and absolutely ZERO activity since Oct 22, suddenly SOMETHING is in Canadian Customs...  :scared:

mnem
 :popcorn:

I got a message one day that the package with said blue wonder TE device had been dropped in my mail box.

Found box empty.

Asked PostMord, the sorry remains of Royal Mail in Sweden and Denmark, whether the package with tracking no so and so had been adressed to me, which they said "no" to.  |O  Am disputing. Aliexpress have ruled in my favour, but I've not checked whether the funds have been returned.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42327 on: November 06, 2019, 06:07:15 pm »
What utter bastards if it’s empty. Does it have a weight on the customs declaration?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42328 on: November 06, 2019, 06:35:15 pm »
In my few times ordering from either Banggood or AliExpress I've received the items without a hassle....although it usually takes in excess of 2 weeks to get it.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #42329 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:25 pm »
What utter bastards if it’s empty. Does it have a weight on the customs declaration?

I understand I was less clear. There was no package. They reused an actual tracking number, so for all I know it can have been a set of naughty knickers that actually got shipped, to the right recipient. Or the only meter they actually managed to ship to Sweden. Yep, straight up postal fraud. Several other buyers have experienced the same.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42330 on: November 06, 2019, 06:47:45 pm »
Ahh makes sense now. Doesn’t surprise me to be honest.

My father got ripped off for nearly £50k once on a similar thing but container manifests and escrow fraud. Absolute shower of cunts.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42331 on: November 06, 2019, 07:02:02 pm »
Absolute shower of cunts.

Now I've been done wrong by one of them. But never a shower of them. Must be horrific.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139, shakalnokturn

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42332 on: November 06, 2019, 07:34:57 pm »
Another Installment in the Saga of the $9 Process Meter...

After waiting since Sept 27, and absolutely ZERO activity since Oct 22, suddenly SOMETHING is in Canadian Customs...  :scared:

mnem
 :popcorn:
Oh, thats one of the ones that Dave tested is it? I got a simiular thing from someone had purchased it thinking it was a normal multimeter when in fact it was a MS7221 same as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastech-MS7221-Voltage-Current-Calibrator/dp/B00KXC954W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=MS7221&qid=1573068972&sr=8-1 I only paid IIRC about £30 and it was still sealed and it also comes with a small alloy carrying case which is foam lined inside to keep it nicely cushioned if it got dropped. So I'm a happy bunny, specs on it are pretty good too, certainly good enough to calibrate all of my meters as it has the capablity of providing voltages from .001mV to 10V in .001mV steps and upto 24mA in steps of .001mA so not too shabby. :-+
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:37:28 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #42333 on: November 06, 2019, 08:29:47 pm »

Which is not to say I haven't had a plethora of minor nicks and scrapes, which I just let bleed to wash the crap out. They usually clot within a few minutes

Thank heaven I still clot quickly.  I shudder to think what would happen if I didn't.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #42334 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:46 pm »
Mnem - I can do that - and have! Wishing you rapid digit recovery and customs /migration processing!
Med - have you got many smpsu in the room or on the same line - in my volt-nuttery my room lights can change readings by 100uV. Protection diodes rectify the AC pick up. I have also had issues with earth loops as well,
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42335 on: November 06, 2019, 11:41:45 pm »
Mnem - I can do that - and have! Wishing you rapid digit recovery and customs /migration processing!
Med - have you got many smpsu in the room or on the same line - in my volt-nuttery my room lights can change readings by 100uV. Protection diodes rectify the AC pick up. I have also had issues with earth loops as well,
Rob

I've noticed no difference with room lights on or off. And I don't think there's any ground loop issues.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42336 on: November 06, 2019, 11:54:54 pm »
I must have missed a post or two!  Been too busy doing that four letter word: work!

Mnem: much ouch. I wondered what triggered the self inflicted injury reports. Hope you make a full recovery. That fucking hurts that does. Did exactly the same thing with a Stanley knife about ten years ago when I was putting a carpet down. Still got no finger print on that finger  :palm:. Carpet still has the blood stains on it  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #42337 on: November 07, 2019, 03:43:33 am »
I occasionally keep an eye out for Tek P6021 current probes and just nabbed one on the 'Bay that had started at just $69.  :o
Got it for just over $235 with a few seconds to spare.  :phew:

That's my TEA budget gone for a bit as I don't need anything else....that I know of !  :-//

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42338 on: November 07, 2019, 04:25:11 am »
I'm sorry for the confusion guys... this was my fault. I've gone back and updated my original "comparing scars" post...

It was bean, who clarified on an earlier post about "feeding a few fingertips into a mandolin" at my goading...  :o

Late one night I decided to Shred on the Mandolin for fun. No it wasn't the stringed/guitar variety.  :palm: Wrap hand and fingers tightly in cloth then drive the manual vehicle to Casualty for some superglue treatment and a shot of pethedine for the throbbiness and then drive back home sometime after midnight. The 6am Cafe open was not fun the day after.

To which I responded with the graphic story and image in question:

Quote from: mnementh
*Cue Flashiebackie music*

* Slicing a bagel for my son's breakfast (Once Upon a Time in the Wild, Wild West of Texas) *

etc, etc... but it was entirely in the past tense; this happened when my son ( just now turned 12 going on 16... :palm: ) was like 6 or 7, or maybe even longer ago. Looking back, I see I didn't make that point clear.  :-[

I could've sworn I'd related the story in here before, some time back; I really didn't even realize until just now that y'all thought this had just happened. :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42339 on: November 07, 2019, 04:47:14 am »
Absolute shower of cunts.
Now I've been done wrong by one of them. But never a shower of them. Must be horrific.  :P :P :-DD

Its just what happens when you drop a boatload of cunt augers in the middle of Smurf Village.:-DD (img snurched from oglaf.com:TOTALLY NSFW)

mnem
 >:D

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:58:31 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #42340 on: November 07, 2019, 05:51:00 am »
Hey @mnementh want to play with my new toy  :-DD No blood was expelled in the making of it 'so far'. Time for the glue sniffffffff  :scared:

Annealed to make it, re hardened post shaping, final sharpening after it is in the handle as it is to fiddly to hold straight.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:40:58 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42341 on: November 07, 2019, 06:10:47 am »
*SLURRRRRRP!!!*
};=)~~~~<

mnem

:-+
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:13:41 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42342 on: November 07, 2019, 06:15:15 am »
Next up on the Bench:

So I went thrifting to look for power packs to run some Ikea desk lamps... and look what followed me home. A lovely little stack of Man-Eating Black Boxes>:D

The Yamaha NS-45s just jumped into my cart of their own volition... I swear it's true! But the poor Onkyo... that was sitting in the back of the testing table all covered with stupid junk; DOA, unloved and unpriced.

Anybody who knows this generation Onkyo knows NONE of them were lightweights; 110% linear power, massive brute-force filtering and heat-sinks as big as the kitchen sink make them textbook examples of Enheavyment.

But you see... this beasty is extra-special; a bit of a unicorn in any kind of salvageable state. Not only was the TX-SV919THX the flagship of the Onkyo fleet when it was released some 25 years ago, it was the first consumer HT receiver to gain LucasFilm THX certification. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100W/CH cont @ 0.08%THD or some crazy shit like that IIRC.  :scared:
Anyhoo... the Yamahas were a no-brainer at CAD$15 for the pair; especially as I was able to inspect and test them with a battery to ensure all the drivers work. SERIOUSLY. But the Onkyo... they let me take that off their hands for CAD$10, and I paid CAD$6 for the little mountain of 14ga OFC speaker wires on the floor underneath.  >:D

mnem
*tinkering at 0:dark-thirty in the AM*
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:58:14 am by mnementh »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42343 on: November 07, 2019, 07:14:30 am »
This:
https://www.ebay.com/233382077399
Sold for more than I was hoping.
Is the future owner out here?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42344 on: November 07, 2019, 07:51:10 am »
@   shakalnokturn: Not I... perhaps another of the regulars tho. :-//

Onkyo is a bit of an oinker...

This poor thing has suffered all the depredations and depravities of long life in a pet-filled home; just caked with critter furrzz, and maybe other stuff. I sure hope that isn't pee I see in the bottom...  :scared:

Here I'm using a BBQ brush I also just thrifted to clean up some crusty fuse clips. Hey... you use whatcha got. ;)

I've pulled the plug on tonight's triage at the point of determining that while I do not have STBY LED on the front panel, I do have STBY 13V as marked on the AC IN PCB coming down the wire to the CPU PCB. Tomorrow to hunt up a USB cable for wife's new printer and then read up on a packet of schematics I just D/Led.

mnem
"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." ~ grandma

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:55:04 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42345 on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:48 am »
Next up on the Bench:

So I went thrifting to look for power packs to run some Ikea desk lamps... and look what followed me home. A lovely little stack of Man-Eating Black Boxes>:D

The Yamaha NS-45s just jumped into my cart of their own volition... I swear it's true! But the poor Onkyo... that was sitting in the back of the testing table all covered with stupid junk; DOA, unloved and unpriced.

Anybody who knows this generation Onkyo knows NONE of them were lightweights; 110% linear power, massive brute-force filtering and heat-sinks as big as the kitchen sink make them textbook examples of Enheavyment.

But you see... this beasty is extra-special; a bit of a unicorn in any kind of salvageable state. Not only was the TX-SV919THX the flagship of the Onkyo fleet when it was released some 25 years ago, it was the first consumer HT receiver to gain LucasFilm THX certification. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100W/CH cont @ 0.08%THD or some crazy shit like that IIRC.  :scared:
Anyhoo... the Yamahas were a no-brainer at CAD$15 for the pair; especially as I was able to inspect and test them with a battery to ensure all the drivers work. SERIOUSLY. But the Onkyo... they let me take that off their hands for CAD$10, and I paid CAD$6 for the little mountain of 14ga OFC speaker wires on the floor underneath.  >:D

mnem

Those Onkyo receivers were bloody expensive here in the UK, so how the hell did you manage to prise that out of their hands such a lousy amount?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42346 on: November 07, 2019, 01:46:57 pm »
They were bloody expensive everywhere. Around US$7K IIRC, and that was before Bush/Cheney broke the economy. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time; I suspect they didn't want to have to move its heavy ass ever again. :-DD

mnem
*looking out at our first Toronto snowfall*

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #42347 on: November 07, 2019, 02:05:26 pm »
Annealed to make it, re hardened post shaping, final sharpening after it is in the handle as it is to fiddly to hold straight.

What are you dosing with that spike - killing vampires?  :o
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42348 on: November 07, 2019, 02:16:32 pm »
Next up on the Bench:

mnem

Those Onkyo receivers were bloody expensive here in the UK, so how the hell did you manage to prise that out of their hands such a lousy amount?

Onkyo's are a dime a dozen here. 2 examples:

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #42349 on: November 07, 2019, 02:40:15 pm »
I still prefer the Marantz...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo