Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104003 times)

Vince, FHTV7, TobyG and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42000 on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:19 pm »
There you go. I did it  :-DD

*cackles and runs away* >:D

mnem
*shopping cable management on amazon.ca* |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #42001 on: October 31, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
So, bd, you made it true, you ordered a NanoVNA...    :-DD

And now on to something slightly different:   :palm:
I said I had no space for more TE some days ago and with that I am now suffering from having an offer for a HP 5373A Modulation Domain Pulse Analyzer (a HP 5372 Frequency and Time Interval Analyzer with extra functions, the predecessor of the 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer) for $500 plus ~$200 shipping. It powers up and boots but no further testing was done..
Yes I am an addictive but is it that worse? :scared:   :-DD

The price is no bargain but on the other hand isn't too bad for such a unit but without knowing if its really working? Shipping also kills it a little.
Perhaps my Fluke PM6681 and/or my HP 53132A using GPIB and additional software could do most of what this boat anchor can do.   ???

What's your opinion/your thoughts on this?

My 537x was 10% of that price but couldn't even be powered on! Unfortunately (for you) the boards ended up in the tip. The OCXO made up for it, though.

It is a real boatanchor.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42002 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:19 pm »
This is the Fluke 8800A that's been sitting in the TEA closet for over a year with an issue I couldn't track down after replacing the reed relays on the Ohms board. Yep, it's now up and running. The problem was the interconnect wiring to the front panel. I had taken pictures of everything as I disassembled it but apparently the angle in which I took a pix made the correct wiring unclear. Turns out it was indeed wired wrong. With the new 8800A got it sorted.   

But there is still an issue. 2nd pix. That's the 200V range with the same input (9.9970V). Obviously something is fubar so more troubleshooting is needed. But there is progress!  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42003 on: October 31, 2019, 06:22:09 pm »
I said I had no space for more TE some days ago and with that I am now suffering from having an offer for a HP 5373A Modulation Domain Pulse Analyzer (a HP 5372 Frequency and Time Interval Analyzer with extra functions, the predecessor of the 53310A Modulation Domain Analyzer) for $500 plus ~$200 shipping. It powers up and boots but no further testing was done..

You can easily get a 53310A for that price, so why go for the predecessor, does it have some functionality not found in the 53310A?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #42004 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:55 pm »
Reading up on the application guide that's available on the Keysight website, looks like it does a lot more than the 53310A, especially for pulsed RF applications.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42005 on: October 31, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »
Thanks, bd, tggzzz and PA0PBZ!

to PA0PBZ:
It's the top of the line of 5371A, 5372A and 5373A and it's eqipped with options 020 (FastPort Data Output) and 030 (channel C going up to 2GHz):

to 0culus:
I don't need the extra functions of the 5373A over the 5372A..   :palm:
But as the chart above shows even the 5372A has more functions than the 53310A. But I heard the 53310As UI is more user-friendly. And it's not as deep and much lighter than a 537xA..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #42006 on: October 31, 2019, 07:14:19 pm »
Yeah, the compact size of the 53310A is a big draw. Plus, it has a considerably larger screen (monochrome raster CRT). I have two of them, one is a unit I bought from a forum member. It doesn't have all the options, but he did rebuild the power supply. So when I found one that is equipped with all the options, I just swapped the power supply modules between them. It does what I need, although I'll have to look into a 5373 if I ended up needing the pulsed RF analysis features.

Another nice thing about the 53310A is it's easy to install option 001 deep memory yourself on units that don't have it. The SRAMs are available, and you just need to install them into the unpopulated DIP sockets and move a couple of jumpers on the mainboard.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42007 on: October 31, 2019, 08:03:55 pm »
@factory: so "f1power01" is a seller you would recommend?

Well I've not any problems with them, packaging was good & they do take offers, the only improvement could be some more pictures in the listings, note some items are incomplete, as always YMMV.
They do appear to be trying to get rid of non-selling items at the moment, by the pallet load advertised for parts/metal recovery, as well as many pallets of manuals.
I found out about them a few years ago, but too late for some interesting early HP stuff, they had a massive collection of HP stuff for sale around 2015, I suspect some of it may have came from the collection of the late Marc Mislanghe (http://hpmemoryproject.org), but can't confirm this.

I did buy a HP 500A frequency meter and a K79-0981C diode test set, the latter has since been repaired, the 500A is still in near perfect original condition, very clean with no signs of repair or restoration. I also bought a few smaller bits & pieces from them.

Here is the diode test set testing the failed diode from it's own power supply circuit.

A previous repairer had replaced one of the HP custom marked parts with another custom marked part which turned out to have a lower voltage rating, this had gone short circuit blowing the mains fuse, it was advertised as having a shorted transformer, luckily this wasn't the problem after all, I did find out that the TF was the same as used in many of the HP valve voltmeters.

And here is the 500A.

I failed to take any of my own pictures of the front, I suspect all those Sprague bumble bee bomb capacitors and some of the others would need checking & replacing for this to work properly again.

David
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:11:12 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42008 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:54 pm »
That diode test set is rather cute!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42009 on: October 31, 2019, 08:13:10 pm »
It certainly is cute, it's an in house built item of TE from HP, made with some random leftover bits of other products.  :)
Will add some more pictures later.

David
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:17:24 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42010 on: October 31, 2019, 10:22:37 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323899986991

Says it has shielding, battery and explicit list of parts included (cables and cal kit) and previous positive feedback so precisely zero risk.
I had a look at the seller for you, his feedback isn't one that I'd call particulary healthy albeit his negative feedbacks seem to be restricted to the less technical gear that he sells, like halloween crap and the like. He has sold 2 of those NanoVNA's this month and the buyers do seem to be happy with them and it looks like you could have by next Wednesday so not too long to wait  >:D

I'm hoping that my 19005A could be here tomorrow or Saturday, it currently shows it as being En Route, really looking forward to having piece of English test gear on my bench.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42011 on: October 31, 2019, 10:25:23 pm »
Yeah undersized Halloween crap is sort of semi expected. It has been picked up by Royal Mail already so fingers crossed!

Make sure we get pictures of the 1905A :)

Read description:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153608368861

:palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42012 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:41 pm »
Haha, she pulls no punches does she, I wonder if she has anything else of interest to sell  :-DD I wonder what happened there then, who did what and when  :palm:

Edit Photos, not an issue, I just hope that it is as good as the other gear I have from that stable.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:39:54 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42013 on: October 31, 2019, 11:57:42 pm »
So, bd, you made it true, you ordered a NanoVNA...    :-DD

And now on to something slightly different:   :palm:
Yes I am an addictive but is it that worse? :scared:   :-DD

The price is no bargain but on the other hand isn't too bad for such a unit but without knowing if its really working? Shipping also kills it a little.
Perhaps my Fluke PM6681 and/or my HP 53132A using GPIB and additional software could do most of what this boat anchor can do.   ???

What's your opinion/your thoughts on this?
I had to read your post two and a half times until I realized that you are not wanting to get rid of it! :-DD
That is certainly a very capable unit and if I had the space and time...I might want one.

Found two interesting websites while I looked it over:
http://emperoroftestequipment.weebly.com/
http://www.simonsdialogs.com/

Based on that, and the posts here, I would not want to repair one, though.
So it comes down to your judgement on the status. If it runs, it can do a lot of things for which you would have to write many lines of code. Otherwise you might be stuck with an expensive load of highly specialized crap.
Sooo, .... :popcorn:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42014 on: November 01, 2019, 12:10:04 am »
And the light is blue!
No, anything but the lights. Blue flashing lights on big red vehicles seemed to be mentioned more often in connection with you.

BTW, there might be unheard opportunities in this. Why don't you get into an alliance with one of the guys doing emergency vehicle videos. They would surely jump at a chance to get a predictable full turnout!

So don't hold back! We want to see the stuff they do not let out usually!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #42015 on: November 01, 2019, 12:43:26 am »
The new antenna part is shown in white. I did 40% infill and 6 layer wall. Took 9 hours. It's super strong for sure, and it even fits the other parts. I think I actually know what I'm doing.  :phew:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42016 on: November 01, 2019, 01:05:49 am »
This is, of course, the exact moment when Law of Irony will be looking to put the smackdown on ya...

mnem
Murphy's a bitch. And her favorite nosh is tinkerer buttcheeks. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42017 on: November 01, 2019, 01:17:18 am »
My collection has a UK military Avometer 8 (with tropicalisation for use in the Colonies and extra metal case around the Bakelite, good for shielding and squaddie protection), and a Hartmann & Braun Elavi, but is missing a Simpson. I actually use them, mostly for current. Having a 5KV range of course is potentially (pun intended!) useful, even if it requires a very careful setup and hard thinking about Consequences.

Their limitations as to AC frequency and the loading of DUT inherent in a passive design makes one appreciate the more modern meters in the collection, like the 1968 Marconi VTVM and the 427A so much more ;-). Then, of course, if the passive volt meter says there are so and so many volts, we can be fairly certain we're not measuring ripple through a triac or a high-impedance sense circuit, but actual ommph that won't sag. That is a good indication in itself, especially if compared to what a more sensitive meter indicates.

As you say: the right tool for the right job.
Meters with mechanical movement have some properties that can be a no-go or limitation or can be a welcomed property:
You already gave the example of a limited input impedance for electromechanical voltmeters.

Another example are moving iron movements, those measure rms-values based on their principle of construction.
I do have some for measuring current despite having high resolution electronic ones like the HP/Agilent 34401, because quick changes are better visible; If you use them with external sensing (four-wire-mode on the supply side) you can get rid of their impedance mostly.
Of course, the active (FET or beyond) varieties give you a unique combination of capabilities - very good reading of changing signals combined with high input impedance. As far as ranges are concerned, the Unigor 6e/6eP is unsurpassed.
And when you look around some, you will find even values apart from the 10 or 1MOhm/V of the amplifier instruments and the ubiquitous 20kOhms/V of the most common types.
Take for example the 'Viererbande' (Gang of Fours) from Metrawatt:
The amplified 4E has 10MOhm/V for DC and 1MOhm/V for AC.
The Metravo 4H, which is the most universal one, comes with slightly above average 31.5kOhms/V.
The Metravo 4S, which is intended for power and  electrical usage, has 1.33 kOhms/V, while the similar Unigor A41 has 3.33kOhm/V.
The Unigor A43 on the other hand, which was aimed at communication electronics, is a passive instrument
with 100kOhms/V (+ some capacitance measurement)

I have been scolded in the 'Show your multimeter' thread for my inclination to collect those late electronic analogues, but the real advantage lies in having the choice.

BTW, if one around here did never read that thread, you should look up my description of the Neuberger modular multimeter: that is one interesting piece (or rather a number of pieces) of equipment!
Its here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/msg1201890/#msg1201890

When I was working with process control systems in a certain plant, we were experiencing much leakage and stray voltages so that even 20kOhm/V multimeters (and even some newer electrical testers) showed you a voltage where there wasn't one. I loved to use the ugly AN-USM223 there, because you could select from 20kOhm/V down to 4kOhm/V, it was unfazed by the corrosive and soiled environment and when you did not need it, you could sit on it. ;D

I found it also quite useful to have both a passive and a amplifier version of mid-zero multimeters around. (they are both DC only and no resistance, so technically they are no true multimeters, but they are both derived from the respective Siemens multimeter series, so whatever).

On the other side, some variations of the DMM with pseudo-analogue displays have gone very far to make the observation of signal variations easier. While the Fluke87 was among the first to offer an improved resolution bargraph, it was not among those having the best solution:
Besides the Metrawatt M2036/2037, the Tektronix DMM250 (a rebranded Beha model, afaik) did stand out in this regard with its large arc-shaped pointer emulation ABOVE the numeric display.
But coming back to the Fluke87, the availability of two min/max capture modes with specified reaction times was also part of the solution, as one of the tpical applications where a pointer instrument was favoured was the measurement of peaking or inrush currents.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:28:56 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42018 on: November 01, 2019, 01:44:51 am »
While both the HP34401 and the 34410/1 have been subject of many posts, even comparing them, has anyone here had experience of working with the 34465A? There are tempting offers, albeit from far away places out there!

I am slightly annoyed by the fact that you can only find overviews within a generation of instruments. I would really like to see HPAK gear getting such a complete, reliable and useful treatment as the Tektronix products are getting on TekWiki.

Btw, there is another one of the Thurlby DMMs upcoming.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #42019 on: November 01, 2019, 02:01:07 am »
While both the HP34401 and the 34410/1 have been subject of many posts, even comparing them, has anyone here had experience of working with the 34465A? There are tempting offers, albeit from far away places out there!

I am slightly annoyed by the fact that you can only find overviews within a generation of instruments. I would really like to see HPAK gear getting such a complete, reliable and useful treatment as the Tektronix products are getting on TekWiki.

After my front panel issue was sorted on the 34461A easy to use flexible and accurate. It has become my daily driver while the 34401A has become the backup or meter I put on more static jobs.

Depending on what you need from it the price jump to the 65A is a bit hard to justify. https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-1983EN.pdf?id=2318052&cc=AU&lc=eng The thing mine lacks the 65A would have given me is Thermocouple readings but I already have a bunch of meters that do that and also now the Fluke Process Calibrator. Extra or faster readings are dubious value as you can always log to a PC.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42020 on: November 01, 2019, 02:08:49 am »
The new antenna part is shown in white. I did 40% infill and 6 layer wall. Took 9 hours. It's super strong for sure, and it even fits the other parts. I think I actually know what I'm doing.  :phew:

(Attachment Link)

Idea from the peanut gallery to save some time. Print it on the edge, the fairly small mount holes will bridge easily so you won't need supports. Then chop off the bits that add little to the prints strength. Give it some champhers or fillets for style. For one offs time doesn't matter much and the cost saving on the filament is tiny but aerodynamics matter  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #42021 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:24 am »
Idea from the peanut gallery to save some time. Print it on the edge, the fairly small mount holes will bridge easily so you won't need supports. Then chop off the bits that add little to the prints strength. Give it some champhers or fillets for style. For one offs time doesn't matter much and the cost saving on the filament is tiny but aerodynamics matter  ;D

Good ideas. As you can see I did chop off the four corners along the lines of your thinking, but yea more in other places would be OK.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #42022 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:48 am »

UPS showed up with two boxes this afternoon... my 184 time marker generator and a couple of VHF mobile radios.  I unpacked the 184, which was boxed up quite nicely, and took a few photos. Thread to follow. It was definitely stored in less than ideal conditions - incredibly crufty slide switch contacts, for example - but is not in bad shape internally. 

Building a compact, stable, clean 500MHz oscillator in 1965 was a challenge, so it is full of interesting looking circuits.  I am going to enjoy working on this one.  :-+

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42023 on: November 01, 2019, 02:41:03 am »

If thats the one on eBay UK, then be aware that it looks like it has display issues with segments of the LEDs not lighting up.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42024 on: November 01, 2019, 04:27:56 am »
I have seen Bananas straighter than this POS molding. Time for a beer to decide what to do about it and even if it will help keep the zebras in the right spot.

$60+frt for the frame and $230 for the LCD if it needs it  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:38:34 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf