Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16935326 times)

med6753, shakalnokturn and 108 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38575 on: September 10, 2019, 06:50:30 am »
Yeah... cases like that you need to take pictures BEFORE you open the box, and then every step along the way. Make a nice little timeline, then ask the seller politely to start a shipping claim for you. If they don't come back with a response, then you start a dispute, stating unresponsive seller and item not as described.

Do NOT accept any solution that involves sending the item back; then they can claim the damage was YOUR fault. Also, because you shouldn't have to pay to return something you didn't fuck up.

You can get a substantial portion of your money back if you play it calm and patient and document the damage TO DEATH.

Cheers,

mnem
*building a cargo carrier*

Open? I peeled it off! Not joking, the only thing holding it together was the tape. Did I screw myself then, by not taking more pictures?

neo, I'd say it's worth mentioning, depending on how much you got whacked for shipping.  If dirt cheap and no other damage I *might* bite my tongue and let it go, but if big $$ then definitely bitch!  Packing should not be that difficult, and even a first grader should know that simply taping cardboard around something with no further protection is a recipe for disaster!

-Pat

Well I paid a total of 100 bucks for it and weighing in at 97 pounds it is all but certain that the seller took a hit.  I might just let it go, barring any broken glass.

I've decided fuck it. I can complain about a dinged up corner if i want to be pissy but there isn't any broken glass and I don't need any more bad karma. The seller almost definitely took a hit as it is.

I'm right in the middle of a similar case with DHL, but you don't stand a chance. The parcel got delivered (no external damage visible), but the contents (vintage Scope) was damaged despite more than adequate padding and packaging. They will only deal with the sender, but they say they will only compensate after they have been given the item for evaluation. So they expect the buyer to send it back to the seller and then send it on to DHL (at my/our expense!!) so that they can have some idiot claim that it was worth some rediculously low price. Interesting, the claim documents also says (in very small writing) that they don't guarantee that the item will be returned to me after evaluation.

That's the point where you give up. The system is designed to avoid paying out. They didn't even give me the postage costs back. This was on a package that I paid for additional insurance too.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38576 on: September 10, 2019, 06:54:00 am »
If it was eBay claim there. Your contract isn’t with the courier but the seller. That applies globally.

I’m of the opinion that until it’s sitting there in my house it’s not my problem. 

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38577 on: September 10, 2019, 07:00:25 am »
I was the seller/sender and it wasn't through ebay.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38578 on: September 10, 2019, 07:11:43 am »
Ah you’re screwed then. I also do that. If it gets there in bits then it’s my problem to sort it. I had one thing broken in transit and thanks to my handling of it, I have a repeat customer because he sees no risk in doing business with me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38579 on: September 10, 2019, 08:02:34 am »
Attention all you Nixie lovers out there and I know that's quite a lot of you >:D I have discovered that there is now another company making these and you can buy them either as clock kits to build or the tubes themselves for your own projects as this video explains. All the links etc are below:-

Millclock Products on ebay (Affiliated links - see below for details)
UK: https://ebay.to/2lEgwtV
US: https://ebay.to/2kfKm81
DE: https://ebay.to/2jZZPc2
CA: https://ebay.to/2lDIhTn
AU: https://ebay.to/2lYL89R
NL: https://ebay.to/2lwos0y

Millclock Website : https://millclock.com

Edit:  :palm: I just discovered that bitseeker posted this Nixie news before I did, that is what happens when you let the forum slide for a day to watch the historic Brexit shenanigans in Westminster live  :palm: I really can't help but wonder if our PM has got a huge pile of cash riding on a particular outcome, at least that would account for his ridiculous actions so far  :palm: He gets more and more Trump like daily  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:05:21 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38580 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:03 am »
Ooh sexy.

On my projects list is a nixie clock actually. But I'm going to build it with transistor ring counters instead of microcontrollers or logic  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #38581 on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:41 am »
Attention all you Nixie lovers out there and I know that's quite a lot of you >:D I have discovered that there is now another company making these and you can buy them either as clock kits to build or the tubes themselves for your own projects as this video explains. All the links etc are below:-

https://www.daliborfarny.com/product/rz568m-nixie-tube/
Handmade in the Czech Republic Under our small-scale production, we invest 3 hours to craft each individual nixie tube by hand to precision.
$145 each!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38582 on: September 10, 2019, 08:15:30 am »
Ooh sexy.

On my projects list is a nixie clock actually. But I'm going to build it with transistor ring counters instead of microcontrollers or logic  :-+

On my long-range to-do list is to build a neon bulb clock where the only semiconductors are diodes.

The major problem is likely to be select-on-test resistors that will allow the neon bulbs to count like a dekatron - and to continue as the bulbs age.

Shame there aren't any dekatrons with 12 segments.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38583 on: September 10, 2019, 08:25:09 am »

Millclock Products on ebay (Affiliated links - see below for details)
UK: https://ebay.to/2lEgwtV
US: https://ebay.to/2kfKm81
DE: https://ebay.to/2jZZPc2
CA: https://ebay.to/2lDIhTn
AU: https://ebay.to/2lYL89R
NL: https://ebay.to/2lwos0y

Millclock Website : https://millclock.com

What's with those horrid blue leds?  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38584 on: September 10, 2019, 08:26:34 am »
Ooh sexy.

On my long-range to-do list is to build a neon bulb clock where the only semiconductors are diodes.

The major problem is likely to be select-on-test resistors that will allow the neon bulbs to count like a dekatron - and to continue as the bulbs age.

Ah yes. I started there and reduced my expectations based on firstly the ageing properties of the neons and secondly the light sensitivity of the whole thing. Apparently it's not unusual for the counters to jack it in whenever it gets dark. A couple of transistors pretending to be a Shockley diode appear to do the job reliably without such concerns.

What I've got in my notebook for ref: https://www.dos4ever.com/ring/ring.html

Look up "duodekatron". They exist, but are rare!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:28:44 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38585 on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:02 am »

Good group here, a little crazy but I think you'll fit in.  :-DD

Thank you. When The Cuckoo's Nest was released, I couldn't see it because it was rated PG-13. So I bought the issue of the MAD magazine (what else?) with the parody of the film.

I could match those inmates with members in this thread ... but I'd rather leave it to your own imagination.   :-DD

Coward! Go for it. I want to see what you come up with.  :-DD
Well, I reckon that has to be you on the front left, no idea who the others are  :-DD. I have to say that I've been a bit preoccupied with the circus performances going on in our houses of parliament of late, so I have a few pages to catch up on and I'm reading / replying to these in chronological order, so I apologise if someone else has already made that connection  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #38586 on: September 10, 2019, 08:36:06 am »
Which one of you is nurse Ratshit ?  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38587 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:05 am »
Dave?  :-DD

Just ordered the 34401A panel module :scared:. Gotta love Keysight. Phone up, get through to human straight away, takes order details, sends you an email, then someone random calls you to take card details and all done  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38588 on: September 10, 2019, 09:10:01 am »
Dave?  :-DD

Just ordered the 34401A panel module :scared:. Gotta love Keysight. Phone up, get through to human straight away, takes order details, sends you an email, then someone random calls you to take card details and all done  :-+
A model of efficiency then  :palm: at least you get to speak to a human but what the automated start menu? (I so hate those stupid things)  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38589 on: September 10, 2019, 09:19:57 am »
They have one of them too. "welcome to keysight. Please wait while we connect you to a sales executive". And that's it. I assume when it's busy it just tries to sell you scopes  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38590 on: September 10, 2019, 09:24:51 am »
Ooh sexy.

Isn't this not a bit like writing shell scripts with edlin?  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38591 on: September 10, 2019, 09:37:43 am »
They have one of them too. "welcome to keysight. Please wait while we connect you to a sales executive". And that's it. I assume when it's busy it just tries to sell you scopes  :-DD
I don't mind them, its the ones that tell that their busy and you can visit their web site and then goes onto present you with a multiple options, all of which are adding to your phone bill and generally wasting your time, and even more annoying are those that go through of that and hangs up on you  :rant: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38592 on: September 10, 2019, 09:53:47 am »
Ooh sexy.

Isn't this not a bit like writing shell scripts with edlin?  ;)

No - I'd get something (allegedly) pretty at the end.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:55:29 am by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38593 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:54 am »
I was just thinking doing nixies with an open frame would be cavalier when I saw that video and its title.  ::)

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38594 on: September 10, 2019, 10:07:39 am »

Good group here, a little crazy but I think you'll fit in.  :-DD

Thank you. When The Cuckoo's Nest was released, I couldn't see it because it was rated PG-13. So I bought the issue of the MAD magazine (what else?) with the parody of the film.

I could match those inmates with members in this thread ... but I'd rather leave it to your own imagination.   :-DD

Coward! Go for it. I want to see what you come up with.  :-DD
Well, I reckon that has to be you on the front left, no idea who the others are  :-DD. I have to say that I've been a bit preoccupied with the circus performances going on in our houses of parliament of late, so I have a few pages to catch up on and I'm reading / replying to these in chronological order, so I apologise if someone else has already made that connection  :-DD

Hold it, I object!  :o ;D I may proudly call myself an old gray beard but I certainly don't look like that. :wtf: (Refer to post 38345). That guy has a scruffy, dirty bug/bird infested beard just like one of the hobo's I saw at a recent hamfest.  :scared: But then again, if I found myself locked up in a nuthouse perhaps I'd let it go so I could give nurse ratshit a good tickle.  >:D :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38595 on: September 10, 2019, 10:20:11 am »
But this guy with the beard in the picture seems to have a very friendly attitude - like you I might admit.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38596 on: September 10, 2019, 10:26:50 am »
But this guy with the beard in the picture seems to have a very friendly attitude - like you I might admit.  ;D

Wow, have I got you fooled.  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38597 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:49 am »

How positively 60's of you...!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38598 on: September 10, 2019, 10:30:13 am »

Wow, have I got you fooled.  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD

Not really.  8)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38599 on: September 10, 2019, 11:24:53 am »

How positively 60's of you...!

Don't forget that you can minimise the number of transistors by doing analogue division rather than digital division. I've got such circuits that divide by 5 with only three transistors; I expect /10 is practical.

The principle is that each input pulse drops a glug of charge onto a capacitor, thus raising the voltage across it. When sufficient glugs have arrived, the circuit discharges into the next stage. Somewhere back in this thread's archive, there is a circuit diagram.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf