Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16938483 times)

Zoli, Ero-Shan, Vince and 100 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38475 on: September 08, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
Everything is ephemeral. Even Dave.
The point is that when the pictures are hosted on the forums the threads they're part of will cease to exist along with the pictures themselves, rather than the lack of either making the whole useless.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38476 on: September 08, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »
well... though i am on the time nuts and volts nuts reflectors, i've resisted the six plus digit DMMs so far, along with Gigahurtz oscilloscopes.  I just keep saying to myself...

they used slide rules to get apollo 11 to the moon and back. they used slide rules to get apollo 11 to the moon and back. they used slide rules...

:-DD
They also used huge computers and F-1 rocket engines.

Most likely one of these. The console for the IBM S/360 Model 65. Back in those days it was all idiot lights.....no CRT console. That didn't come along until S/370.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #38477 on: September 08, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
Yes, keeping pics and texts together has value. If I reach any limits that are annoying, I'll just self-host; there are so many Mbits and MHz to spare in my colo, that the Mibibytes of storage can be exploited there, too. Not that I think I'll upload anything I have no local copy of as well. So, I can serve it just as easily.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38478 on: September 08, 2019, 06:20:28 pm »
Most likely one of these. The console for the IBM S/360 Model 65. Back in those days it was all idiot lights.....no CRT console. That didn't come along until S/370.

Some background linked below.

https://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch8-2.html

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #38479 on: September 08, 2019, 06:28:58 pm »
well... though i am on the time nuts and volts nuts reflectors, i've resisted the six plus digit DMMs so far, along with Gigahurtz oscilloscopes.  I just keep saying to myself...

they used slide rules to get apollo 11 to the moon and back. they used slide rules to get apollo 11 to the moon and back. they used slide rules...

All this is making me do is become nostalgic for all the eight bit microprocessor and bit slice stuff I built in the late 70s and early 80s...

Slide rules and bit slice microcode. It just doesn't get any better than that.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38480 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:17 pm »

Yep, the first computer NASA purchased was an IBM 7090. A little known fact is that when NASA got the computer no one knew how to operate it or what to do with it. It sat for a long time doing nothing. NASA had women, mainly African-American, who were math whizzes called "computers" who did all the calculations by hand. THEY were the ones who figured out how to program it and do their math calculations. And to this day they get almost no credit for it. The movie "Hidden Figures" is a fact based account of their accomplishments.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38481 on: September 08, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »

All this is making me do is become nostalgic for all the eight bit microprocessor and bit slice stuff I built in the late 70s and early 80s...

(Attachment Link)

Slide rules and bit slice microcode. It just doesn't get any better than that.   ;D

Inspiration drop:

https://www.homebrewcpuring.org/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #38482 on: September 08, 2019, 07:47:43 pm »

Yep, the first computer NASA purchased was an IBM 7090. A little known fact is that when NASA got the computer no one knew how to operate it or what to do with it. It sat for a long time doing nothing. NASA had women, mainly African-American, who were math whizzes called "computers" who did all the calculations by hand. THEY were the ones who figured out how to program it and do their math calculations. And to this day they get almost no credit for it. The movie "Hidden Figures" is a fact based account of their accomplishments.
Yep, fascinating movie watched just a few months back.
Since then I've seen mention of the girls in a couple of articles.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38483 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:22 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Inspiration drop:

https://www.homebrewcpuring.org/

that's awesome. and terrible rabbit hole, too!  ;D

i was in grad school while working more-than-full time for a startup way back when, so i was building/debugging memory and graphics boards during the day and building and programming bit slice processors for fun at night. the AMD 29000 stuff was all the rage as were wire wrap boards. really big wire wrap boards...

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38484 on: September 08, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Nope... Redneck BBQs always start out as a wheelbarrow or a 1/2 or full keg. That's definitely "SPAM-Sucking Trailer Trash" haute cuisine, right they-arrre… If it's cooked on a stolen shopping cart, it's Alabammy Brisket.

mnem
Traveling up & down the Eastern Seaboard doing the snowbird thing, you get to see all kinds...

This thread is awesome. Never learned and laughed out loud so much at the same time. The only problem is to keep up with fast pace of the postings. But I'm starting to get good at speed reading.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38485 on: September 08, 2019, 09:21:21 pm »
Hello,

yesterday I've vistied the HAM fest "UKW Tagung Weinheim 2019"

Here are some impressions, hope, you'll enjoy them.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38486 on: September 08, 2019, 10:22:26 pm »
Hello,

yesterday I've vistied the HAM fest "UKW Tagung Weinheim 2019"

Here are some impressions, hope, you'll enjoy them.

Hi, at which time did you visit?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38487 on: September 08, 2019, 10:52:45 pm »
This thread is awesome. Never learned and laughed out loud so much at the same time. The only problem is to keep up with fast pace of the postings. But I'm starting to get good at speed reading.

Good group here, a little crazy but I think you'll fit in.  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bsfeechannel, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #38488 on: September 08, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »

I should have a Mick and Brick and the 2900 series datasheets around somewhere.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38489 on: September 08, 2019, 11:42:34 pm »
i was in grad school while working more-than-full time for a startup way back when, so i was building/debugging memory and graphics boards during the day and building and programming bit slice processors for fun at night. the AMD 29000 stuff was all the rage as were wire wrap boards. really big wire wrap boards...

The 29000 was very different from the 2900!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38490 on: September 09, 2019, 04:18:35 am »

The 29000 was very different from the 2900!

Stuttered and added a zero!  Yikes! Yeah, the 29000 was RISC stuff, wasn't it? Time to do a little interwebbing.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38491 on: September 09, 2019, 04:25:09 am »
This is how it begins. First you get a decent DMM. I dunno, like four maybe five and half digits. Not crazy but pretty damn good. Then you decide to build some kelvin leads for it. Then you figure you'd like to know that it is reasonably accurate, and someone says, for that you should get yourself a DMMCheck and before you know it...

830280-0

You are spending your evenings figuring out the difference between RN55C and RN55D resistors, sorting 0.1% parts and checking to see if you have any new messages from the volt-nuts reflector.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38492 on: September 09, 2019, 04:28:07 am »

It took me fifteen minutes to remember Mick and Brick. I can't believe you still have a copy! That's awesome.

This was the first post-university design project I worked on, based on the AMD 2900 series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PERQ

It was the first commercial computer with a graphical user interface. Unfortunately, we made enough bad marketing choices to lose the market to Sun and Apollo.

830298-0

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:39:56 am by wch »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38493 on: September 09, 2019, 06:44:39 am »
This is how it begins. First you get a decent DMM. I dunno, like four maybe five and half digits. Not crazy but pretty damn good. Then you decide to build some kelvin leads for it. Then you figure you'd like to know that it is reasonably accurate, and someone says, for that you should get yourself a DMMCheck and before you know it...

(Attachment Link)

You are spending your evenings figuring out the difference between RN55C and RN55D resistors, sorting 0.1% parts and checking to see if you have any new messages from the volt-nuts reflector.  :scared:

Hahaha.

Then you learn there are RN55E’s ;)

I actually just spent £20 on those damn resistors (RN55C). I’m trying to build a band gap reference from scratch with those and a CA3096 transistor array.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38494 on: September 09, 2019, 07:01:04 am »

(Attachment Link)

Hahaha.

I actually just spent £20 on those damn resistors (RN55C). I’m trying to build a band gap reference from scratch with those and a CA3096 transistor array.

And then you feel the urge to move onto real resistors, like Vishay VHP202 "Hermetically Sealed High Precision Bulk Metal® Foil Technology Resistors with TCR of ± 2 ppm/°C, Tolerance of ± 0.001 % and Load Life Stability of ± 0.005 %".

Note the plural in "resistors"  >:D

(BTW, what's that "(Attachment Link)" crap?)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38495 on: September 09, 2019, 07:07:08 am »

It took me fifteen minutes to remember Mick and Brick. I can't believe you still have a copy! That's awesome.

This was the first post-university design project I worked on, based on the AMD 2900 series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PERQ

It was the first commercial computer with a graphical user interface. Unfortunately, we made enough bad marketing choices to lose the market to Sun and Apollo.

(Attachment Link)

I was aware of the PERQ, but didn't realise it was a Pascal machine.

I have a deep and abiding hatred of the Appalling Domain machines. I was once playing around in the guts of a DN10K, and was the only person who had any knowledge of it. Not enough knowledge, since I restored a mag tape to the disk with the wrong permissions, and nobody could delete it thereafter - by design. That was a safety feature in a hardcore distributed filing system, designed to prevent you deleting other people's files.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38496 on: September 09, 2019, 07:14:38 am »
Hating Apollo Domain was a hobby of mine for 3 months. Then I got a Sun Ultra 1 on my desk. Life was good. It had a CD player!

Edit: our resident unix supremo picked an HPUX box, model of which I can’t remember, a decision she regrets to this day I suspect.

(Attachment Link)

Hahaha.

And then you feel the urge to move onto real resistors, like Vishay VHP202 "Hermetically Sealed High Precision Bulk Metal® Foil Technology Resistors with TCR of ± 2 ppm/°C, Tolerance of ± 0.001 % and Load Life Stability of ± 0.005 %".

No no no no no I won’t go down that hole  :-DD

Attachment link is where there’s some attachment markup in the page to display an image inline but the quoted post doesn’t have any attachments and the forum engine is too dumb to infer which post had the attachment.

aka typical PHP development quality. They should use a GUID or something
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:18:32 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38497 on: September 09, 2019, 07:30:53 am »
Hating Apollo Domain was a hobby of mine for 3 months. Then I got a Sun Ultra 1 on my desk. Life was good. It had a CD player!

Edit: our resident unix supremo picked an HPUX box, model of which I can’t remember, a decision she regrets to this day I suspect.

(Attachment Link)

Hahaha.

No no no no no I won’t go down that hole  :-DD

Attachment link is where there’s some attachment markup in the page to display an image inline but the quoted post doesn’t have any attachments and the forum engine is too dumb to infer which post had the attachment.

aka typical PHP development quality. They should use a GUID or something

Here's some pron, including each resistor marked for tracability. You know you want to fondle these (with latex gloves to avoid contamination, natch).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38498 on: September 09, 2019, 07:57:18 am »
Ouch. That’s going to sting. I’ve seen those resistors around the £25 a go mark.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38499 on: September 09, 2019, 08:10:20 am »
Ouch. That’s going to sting. I’ve seen those resistors around the £25 a go mark.

Yup :) Even if I part them out, I'd make a profit :)

Plus the others in the second of the three 19" boxes - but I've already shown these:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf