Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116616 times)

MVSantos, onsokumaru and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline grbk

• Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38425 on: September 07, 2019, 10:52:56 pm »
My HP 34401A and also my Agilent 34401A don't have vent holes on the bottom. I thought similarly that it could be swapped from another instrument from that line. And indeed this case most probably comes from a HP/Agilent 33120A:

(linked from this ebay-offer)

No holes here either - might have changed the design so it ran cooler, or swapped with some other compatible case ... from what hmmm ...

I think someone swapped the cases.   :palm:
The 34401A is a non-fan design from the beginning. There's no reason for vent holes actually.

OK, thanks for the confirmation on vent holes. 33120 was my guess as well for a likely case donor. I wonder if the vent holes affect stability?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:55:38 pm by grbk »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38426 on: September 07, 2019, 10:59:21 pm »
My HP 34401A and also my Agilent 34401A don't have vent holes on the bottom. I thought similarly that it could be swapped from another instrument from that line. And indeed this case most probably comes from a HP/Agilent 33120A:

(linked from this ebay-offer)

No holes here either - might have changed the design so it ran cooler, or swapped with some other compatible case ... from what hmmm ...

I think someone swapped the cases.   :palm:
The 34401A is a non-fan design from the beginning. There's no reason for vent holes actually.

OK, thanks for the confirmation on vent holes. 33120 was my guess as well for a likely case donor. I wonder if the vent holes affect stability?

Hmm. You could find out doing a long-term measurement to compare the drift -once with open vent holes and once with closed vent holes e.g. covered with tape. With the rest of the case being closed I wouldn't expect much ventilation at all.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: grbk

Offline grbk

• Contributor
« Reply #38427 on: September 07, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »

Hmm. You could find out doing a long-term measurement to compare the drift -once with open vent holes and once with closed vent holes e.g. covered with tape. With the rest of the case being closed I wouldn't expect much ventilation at all.

At some point I may do that experiment.

The service manual I have lists the part number as 34401-84111. Keysight says that part is no longer available, but will sell me the replacement part 34401-84121 for $56.67. Probably not worth it :D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38428 on: September 07, 2019, 11:15:03 pm »
I wrote the Ebay supplier about where mine came from.

He said he has sold on Ebay more than 200 34401A units. He receives them from my different suppliers. Sometimes condition is good, sometimes not. He personally checks each unit and repair/replace parts if needed. My unit was just dusty. This one was a spare unit from military surplus batch.

There you go.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38429 on: September 08, 2019, 12:17:20 am »

You can always repurpose  your porcelainware.   
In Texas we'd call that a redneck BBQ pit.  :-DD

Nope... Redneck BBQs always start out as a wheelbarrow or a 1/2 or full keg. That's definitely "SPAM-Sucking Trailer Trash" haute cuisine, right they-arrre… If it's cooked on a stolen shopping cart, it's Alabammy Brisket.

mnem
Traveling up & down the Eastern Seaboard doing the snowbird thing, you get to see all kinds...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline grbk

• Contributor
« Reply #38430 on: September 08, 2019, 12:30:05 am »
I wrote the Ebay supplier about where mine came from.

He said he has sold on Ebay more than 200 34401A units. He receives them from my different suppliers. Sometimes condition is good, sometimes not. He personally checks each unit and repair/replace parts if needed. My unit was just dusty. This one was a spare unit from military surplus batch.

There you go.

Nice, sounds like you got a good one.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #38431 on: September 08, 2019, 06:05:20 am »
3 Hours of my life and counting  :palm: Windoze 10 updates, marketing crud 'magically installed' by KOBO or visiting email links and clicking, old ASUS Laptop and my 75+ year old mother - what could possibly go wrong   |O |O |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38432 on: September 08, 2019, 06:28:16 am »
Here's the 34401A pics. As I said looks brand new.

That   is   gorgeous !!!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38433 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:45 am »

Pictured also is the bodnar GPSDO which is pretty excellent. I'm very happy with it.

You knew I'd notice this ... didn't you?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38434 on: September 08, 2019, 06:38:48 am »
Proof I'm over the Tek thing: I just turned down a FREE limping Tektronix 475A about 5 mins drive from here.
I'd drive 25 minutes just to have the carcass. Getting it working would be a bonus.

(It's just one of those acquisition dreams from many years ago.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:41:41 am by Brumby »

Offline AngusBeef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38435 on: September 08, 2019, 06:53:13 am »
Any love for the 16500s?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38436 on: September 08, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
The dreams began emerging in the 70's.  The first device listed was a reel-to-reel tape deck ... one that was solenoid controlled.  I now have an Akai GX-620 which needs a little work - and one special screw.

In the realm of test gear, it was the 465 which first caught my eye.  Any 465, 475 or 485 would have been droolworthy.

It is only recently I have been getting my feet wet with actual HP gear on my bench - thanks to Bean and Dave - but I would be happy to entertain extending my collection.  The best I have in the way of a digital scope is a TDS220, which I have found both useful and frustrating.  Just a case of the more you have, the more you want.

It is, perhaps, better that I am in Australia.  If I lived in the US, it would not be good...  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38437 on: September 08, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
Any love for the 16500s?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Is there still a use case for them over modern cheap and cheerful Chinese knockoffs is more the question? $50-100 then maybe for fun if it has the leads and probe tips.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38438 on: September 08, 2019, 09:36:22 am »

Pictured also is the bodnar GPSDO which is pretty excellent. I'm very happy with it.

Me? With my reptuation?  :-DD

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38439 on: September 08, 2019, 10:15:50 am »
Trying to clear my mind of impure thoughts today. The HPAK fanboy in me has fallen in love with a DSOX1204G and the credit card is empty  :-DD

Well, as it happens, I've just up-scoped my bench to a fully-pimped-out MSOX3104T from the Keysight eBay store offer, so my old MSOX2024A (again, fully optioned-out, including the 200,000WFM/s and advanced trigger upgrade, and a 'cloned' LAN adapter) may be looking for a new home...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38440 on: September 08, 2019, 11:02:17 am »
Kind of Classy Gossen sparkies meter and pouch 60's to 70's I guess. eBay auction: #264412062812

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38441 on: September 08, 2019, 11:11:42 am »

Me? With my reptuation?  :-DD

hmmmmmm.  this may inspire med to buy a 5334 from our friends in nj.

do ya' think he will bodge a fan onto the back of it?
free range primate

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #38442 on: September 08, 2019, 11:28:23 am »
A bit (well about 8kg) of RF  'boat anchory', an old HP 803A RF Bridge, 50-100MHz, from a delightful guy associated with my amateur radio club. He is one of the state's Broadcast Antenna engineers, he wields the antenna modelling program EZNEC effortlessly. The price was free provided after my use it went on to another good home. Top bloke. 😊
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38443 on: September 08, 2019, 11:35:55 am »
And while trawling the bottom end of evilbay test gear I snagged a measuring stick of sorts for not a lot  ;D Have used an older mechanical one a bit for measuring in the past, this one needs a new battery and if it works play for a bit then sell it for a bit more I reckon. eBay auction: #163842846806

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38444 on: September 08, 2019, 11:46:58 am »
Trying to clear my mind of impure thoughts today. The HPAK fanboy in me has fallen in love with a DSOX1204G and the credit card is empty  :-DD

Well, as it happens, I've just up-scoped my bench to a fully-pimped-out MSOX3104T from the Keysight eBay store offer, so my old MSOX2024A (again, fully optioned-out, including the 200,000WFM/s and advanced trigger upgrade, and a 'cloned' LAN adapter) may be looking for a new home...

That'll probably be slightly out of budget for me based on the current retail price and far more than my modest requirements. I've allocated some capital for "product development" in my ltd so need to carefully slide everything in there as that's what it's going to actually be tasked with for once (rather than just futzing with stuff  :-DD. Need to get out of the IT trade as I hate it). I've got a niche product and market to get into which should see me out the next decade or so if I don't screw it up. Worst case I screw up, depreciate it and then "dispose" of it in a few years  >:D

Objectively I want to avoid the older CE based DSOX series which I suspect will go into "extended maintenance mode" at some point as they're moving in the Linux direction.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38445 on: September 08, 2019, 12:48:04 pm »
Only about $125 - $150 USD overpriced.  :wtf: :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38446 on: September 08, 2019, 12:54:32 pm »
FFS there are some chancers out there for sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232972297216

^^ this turd is even missing a knob  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38447 on: September 08, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »
Your turd has got my turd beat by a country mile.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38448 on: September 08, 2019, 02:14:48 pm »
That'll probably be slightly out of budget for me based on the current retail price and far more than my modest requirements. I've allocated some capital for "product development" in my ltd so need to carefully slide everything in there as that's what it's going to actually be tasked with for once (rather than just futzing with stuff  :-DD. Need to get out of the IT trade as I hate it). I've got a niche product and market to get into which should see me out the next decade or so if I don't screw it up. Worst case I screw up, depreciate it and then "dispose" of it in a few years  >:D

Objectively I want to avoid the older CE based DSOX series which I suspect will go into "extended maintenance mode" at some point as they're moving in the Linux direction.
That will happen eventually but considering every oscilloscope bar the four channel 1000X runs CE it's likely to take a while.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38449 on: September 08, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »
Not necessarily. MSFT are stopping selling CE licenses in 2020

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf