Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18118098 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37600 on: August 28, 2019, 01:47:07 pm »
If your saying that median lethal dose for a tree is less hazardous to humans than table salt
Nope, they don't use humans in LD trials.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tautech, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #37602 on: August 28, 2019, 01:53:51 pm »
@specmaster: Yeah that's what I was told. The ground is cracked badly around it and I got a tree surgeon to have a look at it but he said if he cut all the branches over my side of the property then the tree would go over and land in the road so he couldn't do it. He said my option was to murder it and then phone the council and tell them it was dead as they'd have to take it down then. I asked him how and he refused to answer  :-DD

Dead becomes a public nuisance and injury risk....then the council will remove it. Dead = Gone.

If this is the case... isn't the tree ALREADY BOTH a public nuisance and an injury risk? All it might take is one good storm to knock it down onto one of your homes and/or a street full of traffic/pedestrians.

You should take this statement from your tree surgeon to the council and demand they deal with it; the tree is ALREADY a nuisance/safety hazard to you and the neighbor who refuses to deal with it.

mnem
821676-0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:04:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #37603 on: August 28, 2019, 02:00:00 pm »
ring the tree. that is, remove a band of the bark.  almost always works. doesn’t require chemicals...
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37604 on: August 28, 2019, 02:00:36 pm »
LD50 is less than common salt.

Ummm... I know what these terms all mean, but strung together this way they don't exactly form a complete sentence.  :o

mnem
 :-//
If you're saying that median lethal dose for a tree is less hazardous to humans than table salt...

Then :wtf: were you trying to say with that half a fucking sentence?:-DD  Don't fuck with my head like that, man!  It is TOO fucking early for that shit!!! :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:05:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37605 on: August 28, 2019, 02:02:33 pm »
Ring baking, nope too visible.
Copper Sulphate into the root system, yep but it might take a bit to properly poison the ground in order to kill the tree.

True. But taking some time is perhaps a good thing. Imho it makes it a bit harder to find out the responsible person8)  ;)
What responsible person ? It died of old age !  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37606 on: August 28, 2019, 02:07:05 pm »
*looking around for a responsible person*

Ummm...

mnem
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:09:19 pm by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37607 on: August 28, 2019, 02:10:17 pm »
@tggzzz: I like my readings to be a little unstable. I do my best work that way. :-DD

I don't disagree; I like to see the bottom digit changing by one or two counts. :)

well it certainly lets you know your meter is doing something, right?  :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37608 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:34 pm »
LD50 is less than common salt.

Ummm... I know what these terms all mean, but strung together this way they don't exactly form a complete sentence.  :o

mnem
If you're saying that median lethal dose for a tree is less hazardous to humans than table salt...

Then :wtf: were you trying to say with that half a fucking sentence? :-DD  Don't fuck with my head like that, man!  It is TOO fucking early for that shit!!! :-DD

mnem

Go study MSDS and toxicity lab tests and tell me how frequently any chemical needs be tested to be sure it meets its spec, NDA requirement and user safety.
Here, very few years while it's still available for sale.

Now, no substance is safe if used outside it's label recommendations and that's what its guidance is for...to protect us from ourselves.

You might appear to have a different spin on toxicities and in many cases you'd be right as many chemicals that were once used freely and in some cases leglistrated to be used are now banned as science has proven them to be dangerous to human health. Those that have stood the test of time like Glyphosate since the '80's are a shit load less toxic than some would have us believe.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #37609 on: August 28, 2019, 02:14:29 pm »
*looking around for a responsible person*

*hiding behind the tree*

Oh! Yes!
The tree is gone ...  :palm:   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37610 on: August 28, 2019, 02:40:29 pm »
Am I in the right forum? I thought this was TEA, not tree assassination.  :o  ;D

Anywho.....got parts coming today to restore the Heath V-7A. Also ordered an assortment of those Bourns filter chokes recommended by bd139 (the tree killer  :-DD) to experiment with reducing the ripple on the Heath OL-1 B+ supply.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37611 on: August 28, 2019, 02:47:30 pm »
Mwuhahaha. Thanks all for the tree tips. Approach decided. I'll post back in 3 months with success or failure.

Good luck with the V7 meter.  :-+

I was hoping for HP 1740A parts today. Some bridge rectifiers arrived but that was about it :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37612 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:13 pm »
Mwuhahaha. Thanks all for the tree tips. Approach decided. I'll post back in 3 months with success or failure.

Good luck with the V7 meter.  :-+

I was hoping for HP 1740A parts today. Some bridge rectifiers arrived but that was about it :(

I have an idea...how about we send you a few beavers?  >:D :-DD

"Eat a beaver, save a tree"  :P :P :P ;D :-DD :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37613 on: August 28, 2019, 03:12:37 pm »

As long as it's not a red beaver that should be fine.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37614 on: August 28, 2019, 03:15:07 pm »

As long as it's not a red beaver that should be fine.

LMAO. Good call....points for you!  :-+ :-+

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #37615 on: August 28, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »
What is a "red beaver"?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #37617 on: August 28, 2019, 03:44:46 pm »
Back in the distant past I did and integration with HP CoCreate work manager and ME10 (aka Creo now). That was literally like dipping your balls in acid and then salt in quick succession all day. The thing was backed with Oracle on an HP N-class. The whole platform was one of HP's lesser known disasters.

I take it you have never tried any of the Mental Mentor Graphics CAD tools. Or any of the IBM Rational products, which tend to be the most fragile way of solving your problems.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: notfaded1

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37618 on: August 28, 2019, 03:50:51 pm »
Random question here out of the blue an definitely off topic but this is the sort of obscure knowledge people on here know.

How can I kill a large tree discretely?  Local council won't deal with an overhanging tree so I'm going to plan B which is to murder the fucking thing myself.

Oooh, a "dispute with a neighbour" about trees. Good luck getting that resolved quickly and/or cleanly.

Simply remove anything overhanging your boundary; anything else becomes their problem.

Given that you have contacted the council, there is a paper trail leading to you. I doubt anything can be "discrete"; the most you could hope for is "not proven".

If you have ever seen a tree stump, you will be aware that chemicals have to be added to make sure it doesn't resurrect itself. Find out what they are, and inject through tiny holes.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37619 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:03 pm »
Am I in the right forum? I thought this was TEA, not tree assassination.  :o  ;D

Anywho.....got parts coming today to restore the Heath V-7A. Also ordered an assortment of those Bourns filter chokes recommended by bd139 (the tree killer  :-DD) to experiment with reducing the ripple on the Heath OL-1 B+ supply.   

If we analyzed the content of this thread over the last six months, would the non-TEA posts would make up a significant portion majority of the posts.  ;D

My third Tek logic analyzer arrives today.This is the one I bought to get the included probes because the crazy people listing probes on ebay wanted four times as much for a probe alone as I paid to get an analyzer with them included.

I wonder if I more logic analyzers than anyone else on the forum now. If not, maybe I have a new quest.  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37620 on: August 28, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »
If we analyzed the content of this thread over the last six months, would the non-TEA posts would make up a significant portion majority of the posts.  ;D

I don't think it is that bad, yet. But it is moving in that direction.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37621 on: August 28, 2019, 04:05:19 pm »

I don't think it is that bad, yet. But it is moving in that direction.

I meant that to be a question. Hit the wrong key.  |O 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37622 on: August 28, 2019, 04:11:38 pm »

My third Tek logic analyzer arrives today.This is the one I bought to get the included probes because the crazy people listing probes on ebay wanted four times as much for a probe alone as I paid to get an analyzer with them included.

I wonder if I more logic analyzers than anyone else on the forum now. If not, maybe I have a new quest.  :-DD

My 2465 DMS has the 17 bit word recognizer option and I haven't got a clue on how it works or how to use it.  :-// Not that I do much logic analysis anyway.

Offline notfaded1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37623 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:09 pm »
Back in the distant past I did and integration with HP CoCreate work manager and ME10 (aka Creo now). That was literally like dipping your balls in acid and then salt in quick succession all day. The thing was backed with Oracle on an HP N-class. The whole platform was one of HP's lesser known disasters.

I take it you have never tried any of the Mental Mentor Graphics CAD tools. Or any of the IBM Rational products, which tend to be the most fragile way of solving your problems.

Here! Here! Don't get me started on both of those... we use Mentor Graphics CAD tools and IBM Rational CC, CQ, and all the new ones from IBM too!!!  To make things even worse our stuff is all multisited as well.  A lot of the new more "devops" stuff seems pretty good ie. gitlab, jira, confluence, mattermost, jenkins, etc.  We support them all.

Best Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:20:27 pm by notfaded1 »
.ılılı..ılılı.
notfaded1

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37624 on: August 28, 2019, 04:22:06 pm »

My 2465 DMS has the 17 bit word recognizer option and I haven't got a clue on how it works or how to use it.  :-// Not that I do much logic analysis anyway.

The only reason I do know how to use them? My first engineering gig was a workstation start up, during which I spend hundreds of hours look at LA screens, trying to figure out what the hell whatever bit slice processor I was working on was doing.  They are fun to play with now on microcontrollers and the like, but play is the word.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf