Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18107700 times)

Vince, Robert763 and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36525 on: August 09, 2019, 12:48:10 am »
I had a good property auction score...Tek 7104 and plugins for $100  :-+ It has a nice sharp trace on the mcp crt. May need a bit of work...but for that price can't go wrong.

Well? I'm waiting. Stamping foot.  :o :P :P :-DD

I got you.   :-+ Tomorrow is removal, so more and better pics then.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36526 on: August 09, 2019, 02:37:32 am »
Settling for Bad Coffee is a 'Thought Crime' Mr Mindcrime Big Brother will be around soon to chat  :-DD

As to Bad women nothing wrong with playing with them you just may not want to keep them  ;)

Slightly cheeky Guatemalan in the Cup, bit bubbly as it is only two days post roast.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: malagas_on_fire

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #36527 on: August 09, 2019, 03:06:20 am »

Ehrrrmugrrrd! Oculus is a pervy little projector collector!!! :-DD

mnem
*hoping nobody notices the InFocus saddlebags stashed under his bed*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36528 on: August 09, 2019, 03:27:24 am »
Little? How dare you insult a 7000 scope that way.  :-DD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #36529 on: August 09, 2019, 04:24:48 am »
I imagine that like time and volt nuttery, weather observation obsessions are common in this august group. I have been, for years, tracking lightning strikes (having high-in-the-open-wires connected to electronics in the house makes one interested in such information) at blitzortung.org.  Plus it is kind of soothing, in a nerdy way, to watch lightning storms develop in real time.

After a two year wait, I got one of their "system blue" lightning reporting systems, which I will put together next week:

http://u.cubeupload.com/worsthorse/Systembluefrontb.jpg

You all want to see the build/test/install for this project or should I put it on one of the other forums? Is so, which one?

Ooh, I got one of those a few years back. I have the amtenna and two shielded ferrite rods.
I also later added the optional filter chips too.

I have the lot up on my roof, powered from a PoE splitter from my PoE switch. It works really well.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36530 on: August 09, 2019, 05:28:21 am »
Little? How dare you insult a 7000 scope that way.  :-DD

"Whoah... isn't he a big fellah." There... feel better?  :-DD

You know I wasn't talking about that thing... I was talking about the assortment of lightbox corpses behind it & under it. That one is big enough to drive to work...  :o

mnem
"Brock Samson... Born Omaha, Nebraska to a single mother... half Norwegian, quarter Polish, quarter Winnebago..."

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #36531 on: August 09, 2019, 05:41:36 am »
In Other News...

I've finally gotten a fair to middling tune on my new Ryzen 3700X build, and started benchmarking. HOLY FUCKING ASSCRACKERS!!!

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
And you're gunna leave with just dat ?  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36532 on: August 09, 2019, 05:45:39 am »
 No, I was fighting with eevBlog over my fucking attachments. :palm:

mnem
*kicks eevBlog right in the junk*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36533 on: August 09, 2019, 05:48:56 am »
In Other News...

I've finally gotten a fair to middling tune on my new Ryzen 3700X build, and started benchmarking. HOLY FUCKING ASSCRACKERS!!!

More to follow...when my brain can handle the editing.  :o

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:56:12 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36534 on: August 09, 2019, 06:32:38 am »
Mine faster than yours  :P Where is your God of PCIe4 now  :-DD

Odd result on smaller files on the 1TB  :-// Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives in both cases. The 1TB is on a higher speed bus and is limited by the B450 Board.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:17:44 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36535 on: August 09, 2019, 06:33:06 am »
@bd139 Science museum is one of my favourite places, although lately it seems dumbed down to what it used to be years ago. You never know, you might meet a woman, have sex and then go and get a pizza from somewhere other than Camden Market just to celebrate putting your capacitor in the right way round this time😜
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:30:40 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36536 on: August 09, 2019, 08:09:19 am »
In Other News...

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Well that's pretty damn good. It completely shits on on my Intel E7-2870  :-DD

Now considering a hardware build  :-DD

@bd139 Science museum is one of my favourite places, although lately it seems dumbed down to what it used to be years ago. You never know, you might meet a woman, have sex and then go and get a pizza from somewhere other than Camden Market just to celebrate putting your capacitor in the right way round this time😜

If that happened, karma would immediately give me ass cancer afterwards!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36537 on: August 09, 2019, 12:21:10 pm »
In Other News...

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
Is "C:" on the new system? Those look like SATA speeds to me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36538 on: August 09, 2019, 12:27:30 pm »
In Other News...

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

850 EVO is indeed a 2.5" SATA. The NVMe is still PCIe 3 so the tricked out MB will be much the same as mine for speed. Apart from my ASUS Latptop everything else I was on spinny drives. SSD's ROCK!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36539 on: August 09, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »
Good news. Replaced that capacitor cock up and all is good. PM3217 power supply is silent, noice free and trace noise has gone and the thing is pin sharp. Much sharper than a 2225 as well. Philips FTW. I’ve managed to partially unbugger the attenuators in it but need a donor unit to finish the repair.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36540 on: August 09, 2019, 12:45:13 pm »
Fire hazard cleaning done and new thermocouple sitting where it needs to so it doesn't snag the drum vanes. For anyone looking for a good all round cleaner grab some commercial Espresso machine Cleaner (basically double supercharged Nappysan  ;) ) Broke down the baked on coffee oils and cleanup was cloth or a little bit of brass brush work in the skinny bits.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36541 on: August 09, 2019, 01:53:55 pm »
Good news. Replaced that capacitor cock up and all is good. PM3217 power supply is silent, noice free and trace noise has gone and the thing is pin sharp. Much sharper than a 2225 as well. Philips FTW. I’ve managed to partially unbugger the attenuators in it but need a donor unit to finish the repair.
Well done, better hope that your earlier statement doesn't come true then. Philips FTW indeed, just wish early ones were a better colour on the fascia [emoji16]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36542 on: August 09, 2019, 01:56:55 pm »
850 EVO is indeed a 2.5" SATA. The NVMe is still PCIe 3 so the tricked out MB will be much the same as mine for speed. Apart from my ASUS Latptop everything else I was on spinny drives. SSD's ROCK!
I was confused for a bit until I saw the drive type was in the image name.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36543 on: August 09, 2019, 04:21:54 pm »
In Other News...

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

SSD's do indeed rock, I've been using them for years on my desktop and laptop but they are still quite expensive in real term so sometimes a hybrid could be a better option cost option.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36544 on: August 09, 2019, 04:32:36 pm »
Mine faster than yours  :P Where is your God of PCIe4 now  :-DD

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Odd result on smaller files on the 1TB  :-// Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives in both cases. The 1TB is on a higher speed bus and is limited by the B450 Board.

That's not PCIe4. Well, it is, in a way; it shows just how much faster the baseline for PCIe4.0 is than PCIe 3.0. That little difference is because yours is a 1TB drive, while mine is 1/2TB. ;)

These are the absolute cheapest $59 half-TB drives I could find using  the same Phison E12 controller as the Samsung EVO Plus. That I got 2 of for $49 each, because they were out of stock on the next model lower.  >:D  They're not just meeting spec of 3100/1900, they're blowing it out of the water and approaching 970EVO Plus speeds for half the price. And this was a preliminary benchmark literally JUST after installing Windows on my 950EVO SATA SSD; I forgot to install chipset drivers from AMD until AFTER I'd done these and gotten my memory so it behaved. 3800 at 16-17-17-38 is pretty damned good, IMHO.

More to come. >:D

mnem

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36545 on: August 09, 2019, 04:52:33 pm »
SSD's do indeed rock, I've been using them for years on my desktop and laptop but they are still quite expensive in real term so sometimes a hybrid could be a better option cost option.
They cost bugger all nowadays. A terabyte for not even 100 quid is just amusingly cheap.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36546 on: August 09, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »
That's not PCIe4. Well, it is, in a way; it shows just how much faster the baseline for PCIe4.0 is than PCIe 3.0. That little difference is because yours is a 1TB drive, while mine is 1/2TB. ;)

These are the absolute cheapest $59 half-TB drives I could find using  the same Phison E12 controller as the Samsung EVO Plus. That I got 2 of for $49 each, because they were out of stock on the next model lower.  >:D  They're not just meeting spec of 3100/1900, they're blowing it out of the water and approaching 970EVO Plus speeds for half the price. And this was a preliminary benchmark literally JUST after installing Windows on my 950EVO SATA SSD; I forgot to install chipset drivers from AMD until AFTER I'd done these and gotten my memory so it behaved. 3800 at 16-17-17-38 is pretty damned good, IMHO.

More to come. >:D

mnem

Larger SSDs are faster as a rule as they interleave on more "channels". Whatever the case, benchmarks have already confirmed current gen PCIe 4 SSDs aren't any faster in real life applications and in a remarkable number of cases actually slightly slower. Not that it matters to the end user as he's not ever going to notice a difference one way or another.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36547 on: August 09, 2019, 04:57:55 pm »

Not sure I like the idea of hybrids. I haven't used a rust disk since I got a Samsung 470 sometime in 2010. Not one. The amount of time I've saved measures in weeks or months. One of the few devices that the ROI is quite frankly insane on.

They cost bugger all nowadays. A terabyte for not even 100 quid is just amusingly cheap.

Bloody hell. Just looked on amazon and they have bombed in price.

I haven't actually had to buy one yet. I keep getting given discarded 256 gig ones for nothing because people are less tidy with their data than I am and had to buy bigger ones :-DD ... Only 117Gb used here.

I've managed to get a 1TiB G-drive, 5x Samsung 256Gb 850 pros, 2x Samsung 128Gb 850 EVOs and a 128Gb 840 pro for nothing in the last year. The G-drive is £150 if anyone wants it :D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36548 on: August 09, 2019, 05:04:43 pm »
Got the 7104 home....and the power supply is doing the infamous tick. Can't complain for the price though.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36549 on: August 09, 2019, 06:48:03 pm »
That sure looks clean enough, hopefully you'll cure the tick and it will give many years of service.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf