Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17504007 times)

Vince, squadchannel, RolandK, Ice-Tea and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35950 on: July 31, 2019, 06:46:33 pm »
   Mnem...look what showed up today! Are you going to break into a happy dance?     :-DD

*Steps out from back of the firehouse* "HONNNNK-HONNNNNK!!!" *cringes, looking back* "Yessss, yessss... I'll call you later sssssweetie... I promissssssse..."

Ehhh what...? Happydance?  :o
I dunno... you'd probably just hit me with another ...  :P

mnem
"Fucking redheads man; twice the upkeep, I swear. But once you've gone hook & ladder..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35951 on: July 31, 2019, 06:50:33 pm »
During my searches thus far, I also ran across some MACOM (M/A-COM) brand. Don't know much about them. Some packaging I saw indicated it's owned by AMP.

MACOM is a major industrial/commercial RF/satellite comms gear manufacturer, right up there with Moldy-rola and Yae-hu. If they put their name on a connector/coupler/splitter or any sort of RF plumbing, it's going to be decent quality.

Excellent. Thanks for the info, mnem!

Another one I don't think I saw in there, but they make some excellent RF specialty stuff like directional couplers and whatnot: Mini-Circuits

Cheers,

mnem
Alternately, mushrooms.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35952 on: July 31, 2019, 07:16:09 pm »
Ah, yes. I have an adapter and attenuator from them. Marked with "MCL". :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35953 on: July 31, 2019, 09:21:39 pm »
Done it again. Thanks to half a bottle of wine reducing inhibitions, some regret at selling the two that I had before and a thread that prompted me and just being paid for contract, I now own a Philips PM3217  :-DD :-DD

Ergo I am not going for Tek stuff any more but that doesn't mean I'm not going for the scopes. That's s a Hameg and Philips this month  :o
Nice one
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35954 on: July 31, 2019, 09:22:46 pm »
Done it again. Thanks to half a bottle of wine reducing inhibitions, some regret at selling the two that I had before and a thread that prompted me and just being paid for contract, I now own a Philips PM3217  :-DD :-DD

Ergo I am not going for Tek stuff any more but that doesn't mean I'm not going for the scopes. That's s a Hameg and Philips this month  :o
Nice one

Traitor.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35955 on: July 31, 2019, 09:40:07 pm »
So bottle of wine now empty. What remains in the cupboard is a bottle of smirnoff ice  :o . What shall be obtained next shall be decided by that  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35956 on: July 31, 2019, 09:50:54 pm »
I don't care how fucked up you get, buddy; just stay away from the long-leggedy red firetruck out back. SHE'S MINE!!!     :-DD

In Other News...

...my shiny new 3700X is right now in my hot little hands. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35957 on: July 31, 2019, 09:56:22 pm »
I am sooooo tempted to buy a Ryzen right now. Let me know how the 3700X goes. I need more grunt than my current shitty i5-4300U for LTspice.

Edit: I actually remember running Berkeley SPICE 3f on SunOS 4 back in the day and having to (1) think before I ran a simulation and (2) leave it overnight on a SPARCstation 2 to actually get results. Perhaps I'm spoiled by a 10 minute turnaround  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:59:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35958 on: July 31, 2019, 10:12:28 pm »
I am sooooo tempted to buy a Ryzen right now. Let me know how the 3700X goes. I need more grunt than my current shitty i5-4300U for LTspice.

Edit: I actually remember running Berkeley SPICE 3f on SunOS 4 back in the day and having to (1) think before I ran a simulation and (2) leave it overnight on a SPARCstation 2 to actually get results. Perhaps I'm spoiled by a 10 minute turnaround  :-DD
I assume LTSpice is single threaded?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35959 on: July 31, 2019, 10:19:04 pm »
Yes it is but anything will have better single threaded FP than this turd. I can shift it to AWS and get a nice E7 Xeon but it's not worth it for a cheap arse like me :)

Edit: apparently it's not single threaded but the usual simulations I do are sequential so it is of no benefit.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:20:44 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35960 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:06 pm »
I don't care how fucked up you get, buddy; just stay away from the long-leggedy red firetruck out back. SHE'S MINE!!!     :-DD

mnem

I'm not drunk. Got no alcohol. And as far as that "long-leggedy red firetruck out back" is concerned she's all yours. Had my fill of bat shit crazy gingers a long time ago.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35961 on: July 31, 2019, 10:32:05 pm »
LMAO I just put two and two together and my two exes were artificial gingers as well (2x damage multiplier).  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35962 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:04 pm »
LMAO I just put two and two together and my two exes were artificial gingers as well (2x damage multiplier).  :scared:

You certainly were a glutton for punishment. Mine was a genuine head to toe natural ginger and was nuts as the day is long.  :palm: :phew: :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35963 on: July 31, 2019, 10:44:45 pm »
The stupid thing is I'm thinking about hitting the club again where I got infected by them even though I'm waaaay to old for that shit. There used to be a regular dressed as spock with ears and all who was in his 70s so I figure I'm not done yet  :-DD

Edit: the most important mid life crisis appears to be buying scopes though  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:47:14 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35964 on: July 31, 2019, 10:51:55 pm »
Don't do it. Continue to buy the scopes.  :-+ See over here gingers are not that common. Over there on the other hand (and in Ireland too)....if you toss a rock chances are you are gonna hit a ginger and she'll think it's a love tap and you'll be in trouble all over again.  :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35965 on: July 31, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »
Hahaha I will take a stick and shove them away with it. Brunettes from Eastern Europe it is next time  :-DD

So an hour on ebay and not bought anything yet  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35966 on: July 31, 2019, 11:02:00 pm »
Hahaha I will take a stick and shove them away with it. Brunettes from Eastern Europe it is next time  :-DD

So an hour on ebay and not bought anything yet  :--

Don't they tend to be buxom big girls who can keep you warm on a cold winter's night? Sounds good to me!  :-DD

I submitted an order to Mouser 2 hours ago. It's already shipped.  :clap:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35967 on: July 31, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
Even better - they know the difference between military aircraft and know what a resistor is  :-DD

I still haven't ordered anything from Mouser yet. It's starting to look like a good option for some weird stuff when you hit the 33 GBP mark in the UK as it's free delivery here then.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35968 on: July 31, 2019, 11:14:49 pm »
Don't do it. Continue to buy the scopes.  :-+ See over here gingers are not that common. Over there on the other hand (and in Ireland too)....if you toss a rock chances are you are gonna hit a ginger and she'll think it's a love tap and you'll be in trouble all over again.  :scared:

Yeah; scopes are better for you than redheads. They're sensitive, warm, make sense most of the time and are a LOT cheaper on the upkeep.  :-DD

mnem
OTOH... that redhead'll snap your dick off and do it so you like it.  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35969 on: July 31, 2019, 11:16:43 pm »
Footnote noted  :-D It's not like the brain has much control over the situation after a few drinks  :-DD

Edit: Back on topic, managed to use the alcohol infusion to do some very steady handed soldering. Waxy replaced with 2018 vintage poly film cap. Will get the 12AU7 tomorrow and turd polish this and chuck it over the fence  :-+
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:23:55 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35970 on: July 31, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »

Edit: Back on topic, managed to use the alcohol infusion to do some very steady handed soldering. Waxy replaced with 2018 vintage poly film cap. Will get the 12AU7 tomorrow and turd polish this and chuck it over the fence  :-+

I hope it don't work so you'll sell me the meter.  >:D :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35971 on: July 31, 2019, 11:50:22 pm »
LMAO. Time will tell. If I bugger it, it's yours FOC  :-DD

At this point I'm actually getting fed up with fixing shit. This is thanks mostly to the day job which is turning rapidly into "fixing shit" rather than creating shit. There needs to be a division between the two.  :--

Anyway it's 00:50 here, the buzz has worn off and I have a day of work to look forward to so signing out  :--  >:(

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35972 on: August 01, 2019, 12:35:56 am »

Yeah; scopes are better for you than redheads. They're sensitive, warm, make sense most of the time and are a LOT cheaper on the upkeep.  :-DD

mnem
OTOH... that redhead'll snap your dick off and do it so you like it.  >:D

Old aphorism: if it floats, flies or f*cks, it is cheaper to rent than buy.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35973 on: August 01, 2019, 01:14:06 am »
So bottle of wine now empty. What remains in the cupboard is a bottle of smirnoff ice  :o . What shall be obtained next shall be decided by that  :-DD
That you'll need once you discover how inferior any other scope is compared to a Tek.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35974 on: August 01, 2019, 01:38:06 am »
grr.

Got all my cabling sleeved up and tidied literally just as the new processor arrived.

New CPU installed; no boot. "Memory Error" beep code. Memory is BALLISTIX/MICRON, checked part # on MB QVL before I bought. Cleared CMOS... removed cooler, checked CPU; installed flush & tight & good coverage. Still same.  Stripped down to MB, RAM, & Processor... still no boot. |O   Gonna step back, go play with my son and get the eff away from this monster for a little bit. Will probably come back after the wee beasties are in bed and go through all the obvious troubleshooting step by step. I know it's something STUPID.

mnem
"You know it's bad when you annoy yourself..."  

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf