Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17544542 times)

Vince, dxl and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34525 on: July 09, 2019, 01:11:29 am »
FWIW, scintillation in this context means flashing, the digit you have selected to adjust will flash.

It seems you just trial-and-error it to get it right.

Or just throw it in the bin and buy a Hakko FX-888 :P
Which might spontaneously burst into flames like mine did.  :scared:

There's a reason I advocate the STM32 T12 OLED soldering stations. They're simple, they work, and they cost ~$80 with a usable assortment of tips. Even if they DO blow up, another whole controller module costs ~$20.
I like KSGER's lineup on AliEx.
mnem
 YMMV. DQMOT... IIRC... DILLIGAF?!?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #34526 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26:37 am »
FWIW, scintillation in this context means flashing, the digit you have selected to adjust will flash.

Yes I agree.

One or the other at this point.

My take on the cal mode is here.
1.   Briefly press either up or down key to move on the desired preset temperature P1 to P5 etc.
2.   Set 380 oC, select P4 profile 400oC press down key for 3 seconds to enter temp adjust mode, then press down button again till display reads 380oC. To increase current temp use the up button till required temp is displayed. This is a temporary adjustment only.

So far yes, I've done that temp adjustment before I tried to cal and it worked OK.

3.   To cal the tip, do the following, let’s say that P2  (pre-set at 300) reads on your calibrator as 280oC, select P2 and press both up and down keys together and digits will flash. Press the up key till the display reads 20 and then press both keys together to save the setting which should add 20oC to the stored setting of 300 but in reality is 280 as displayed on your tester.
4.   Check the temp again on your calibrator and see if it matches the displayed setting of 300oC.
5.   If not repeat the step 3 and use either the up or down key to add or subtract to the stored preset.
6.   Check again and repeat until it is correct. Repeat process for other pre-sets if required.

Yes I did try that kind of adjustment. But now I can't get it back down in temperature. There is no "negative" entry mode - only positive numbers.

So if it was originally in error in a positive direction (mine was too cold by 40 C) - how would a person correct it? You can't go negative. So still it's a mystery as to what the numbers you enter really are doing.

Let's see what the "video" is all about. I suspect it will be a bucket of sh*t and won't help. But let's see. I will report back.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34527 on: July 09, 2019, 01:27:35 am »
Will sound like a cheese TV commercial but, I followed mnem recommendation and bought a Ksger T12 station. Have been using it for some months now and I must say I don't miss my old Weller WTCP. Easy to use lot of configs, nice display and a lot of thermal inertia. It's crazy what I can do at 320Deg now :)

Thanks mnem :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:49:46 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34528 on: July 09, 2019, 01:32:04 am »
Ok then, SORRY mnem I missed that post  :-DD

1.   Briefly press either up or down key to move on the desired preset temperature P1 to P5 etc.
2.   Set 380 oC, select P4 profile 400oC press down key for 3 seconds to enter temp adjust mode, then press down button again till display reads 380oC. To increase current temp use the up button till required temp is displayed. This is a temporary adjustment only.
3.   To cal the tip, do the following, let’s say that P2  (pre-set at 300) reads on your calibrator as 280oC, select P2 and press both up and down keys together and digits will flash. Press the up key till the display reads 20 and then press both keys together to save the setting which should add 20oC to the stored setting of 300 but in reality is 280 as displayed on your tester.
4.   Check the temp again on your calibrator and see if it matches the displayed setting of 300oC.
5.   If not repeat the step 3 and use either the up or down key to add or subtract to the stored preset.
6.   Check again and repeat until it is correct. Repeat process for other pre-sets if required.

This may or may not off is be right but its my educated guess that it is. Steps 1 and 2 is a temporary temp change only and once switched off is not saved.

That actually sounds very much like the crazy-ass FW in my first LED T12 controller; the one that almost instantly got turned into spare parts and replaced with my first OLED T12 Controller. If this Bakon station uses the same bastard FW...

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! Do NOT ALLOW IT TO RETURN HOME, WHERE IT WILL ONLY REPRODUCE!!!  :scared:

mnem
That is my best, most carefully considered advice.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:41:00 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34529 on: July 09, 2019, 01:34:35 am »
Will sound like a cheese TV commercial but, I followed mnem recommendation and bought a Ksger T12 station.

Well I hate to admit he's right.  :-DD

But I think that's what I'll get next to try. Let me bury this trial and error as soon as I can.  :-BROKE
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34530 on: July 09, 2019, 01:39:52 am »
(SNIP)
Yes I did try that kind of adjustment. But now I can't get it back down in temperature. There is no "negative" entry mode - only positive numbers.

So if it was originally in error in a positive direction (mine was too cold by 40 C) - how would a person correct it? You can't go negative. So still it's a mystery as to what the numbers you enter really are doing.

Let's see what the "video" is all about. I suspect it will be a bucket of sh*t and won't help. But let's see. I will report back.

I believe that in "Number Entry" mode, once you've selected your [Hundreds][Tens][Ones] digit with the DOWN button and it starts to blink, selecting the actual number from 0-9 with the UP button is probably a scroll; go past 0 to start counting up from 1 again by continuing to press the UP button. Then you move to the next digit, then the next, then CONFIRM.

That is what I was trying to convey earlier.  :o

I still think it'd be much easier to just send it back as unusable and get something civilized.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34531 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:37 am »

Yes I agree.

One or the other at this point.

So far yes, I've done that temp adjustment before I tried to cal and it worked OK.

My take on the instructions is that once you have entered into the CAL mode for a particular P setting, the down button is used if your tester shows a higher temp them displayed and then the displayed figure that select using the down button is subtracted from the original stored setting.
The up button is used if the tester shows a reading that is lower then the stored temp.
So in other words down button selects the amount that you want subtract from the stored value and the up button selects the amount that you want to add to that stored value.

What it does not make clear is if the numbers will keep scrolling up or down till you reach the number you require as long as you hold down the respective key. You may have experiment a bit there as it mentions Hundreds, Tens  and singles so maybe if you press and release a button and the press the button , maybe the digit that you are going to be altering is selected in that method, ie, each press and release will cause a digit in a column to flash which will indicate the digit that you are changing?? :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34532 on: July 09, 2019, 01:45:55 am »
(SNIP)

I believe that in "Number Entry" mode, once you've selected your [Hundreds][Tens][Ones] digit with the DOWN button and it starts to blink, selecting the actual number from 0-9 with the UP button is probably a scroll; go past 0 to start counting up from 1 again by continuing to press the UP button. Then you move to the next digit, then the next, then CONFIRM.

That is what I was trying to convey earlier.  :o

I still think it'd be much easier to just send it back as unusable and get something civilized.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
Yep, that pretty much what I was trying to say as well and certainly agree with getting something more civilised, really nice T12 system, hmmm....cuddling my T12, I love it, its a brilliant system and thanks for pointing me down that road  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34533 on: July 09, 2019, 01:53:08 am »
So in other words down button selects the amount that you want subtract from the stored value and the up button selects the amount that you want to add to that stored value.

Nope -the up button is the only one that can change the numbers. The down button can only move the selection between the 100s, 10s, and 1s. See how goofy it is?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34534 on: July 09, 2019, 02:02:47 am »
So I finally opened up the 53310a (Modulation Domain Analyzer) to discover where all the brown juice was coming from. The good thing with that unit is that disassembly is super easy. The PSU is on top isolated in a metal cartridge and it just slide out effortlessly.

So the caps in there are definitely leaking. Nevertheless, the PSU metal enclosure contained most of the electrolytic and it leaked outside when someone decided to put the instrument on its right side. So most of the electrolytic leaked directly outside the instrument case and didn't touch the rest of the PCBs  :phew:

Some poor little screws tortured by electrolytic.

Like most 53310a owners, look like I’m going to have a lot of fun recapping the PSU  ^-^
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:06:18 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34535 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:09 am »

Nope -the up button is the only one that can change the numbers. The down button can only move the selection between the 100s, 10s, and 1s. See how goofy it is?
Get a refund and buy a proper T12. Mnem pointed me down that road and I now have 2 of these and I went for the one from Aliexpress which is a Quicko T12-952 with the T12-9501 optional handle, best iron I've ever had. For my second one I did try the OLED controller from Banggood but also made one of tips glow red hot so that got chucked and replaced with a Quicko controller from Aliexpress to make it into another T12-952 with a 9501 handle, never looked back.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34536 on: July 09, 2019, 02:20:42 am »

Like most 53310a owners, look like I’m going to have a lot of fun recapping the PSU  ^-^

The good thing about Arrow now charging for shipping, is that I re-discovered my local electronic surplus shop and realized they have tons of good quality caps in stock. Most of them are low ESR and 105deg. They are normally also cheaper then what I can find online.

Got everything I need for the recap!

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #34537 on: July 09, 2019, 02:25:35 am »
Nice! I have another 53310A coming...got the caps in my digikey BOM.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34538 on: July 09, 2019, 02:34:33 am »

with option 31 ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34539 on: July 09, 2019, 02:50:07 am »
   The good thing about Arrow now charging for shipping, is that I re-discovered my local electronic surplus shop and realized they have tons of good quality caps in stock. Most of them are low ESR and 105deg. They are normally also cheaper then what I can find online.

Got everything I need for the recap!

Good, I think...  :o  As long as they haven't been sitting by the sunny window for a decade until the sun bleaches one side grey, as is often the case with such shops. ;) I was about to post saying "That looks like a pretty expensive BOM!" ; I hope they all test okay and have reasonable life left in 'em.  :-+

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34540 on: July 09, 2019, 02:56:46 am »
Good, I think...  :o  As long as they haven't been sitting by the sunny window for a decade until the sun bleaches one side grey, as is often the case with such shops. ;) I was about to post saying "That looks like a pretty expensive BOM!" ; I hope they all test okay and have reasonable life left in 'em.  :-+
mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Well at first I was cautious. Bought some, tested with the LCR meter. Had some running 24/7 in a power supply for multiple months. Works fine. Most of what they have is good quality (ex, Nichicon).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34541 on: July 09, 2019, 02:57:03 am »

with option 31 ?

If that's the optional C input (iirc it is), yes.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34542 on: July 09, 2019, 03:00:36 am »

with option 31 ?

If that's the optional C input (iirc it is), yes.

There's option 30 and 31, both add the 3rd input. Option 30 is input C 2.5Ghz counter and option 31 has a mixer and LO connected to input C.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34543 on: July 09, 2019, 03:02:36 am »
It's 31, then.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34544 on: July 09, 2019, 03:14:52 am »
It's 31, then.

Ha pretty cool !  :-+

Was a bit disappointed with mine. Wanted option 31 got 30.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34545 on: July 09, 2019, 03:16:22 am »
You'll find one I bet.  :-+

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #34546 on: July 09, 2019, 03:34:34 am »
It's 31, then.

You guys are driving up the prices on ebay. Go away until I find one for myself!  ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34547 on: July 09, 2019, 03:51:09 am »
It's 31, then.

You guys are driving up the prices on ebay. Go away until I find one for myself! 

Nah they are all yours Wch. I only need 1 and I'm pretty sure 0culus has enough with 2 units  ;D

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #34548 on: July 09, 2019, 04:13:13 am »
/begin rant  :rant:

Tonight is one of those times when I wishing I knew a lot more than I know.  When I was helping sort through the crates of parts and gear, I came across a small bag of these things that looked like vacuum tubes, only with four leads. I added the bag to my box of "parts to figure out later". 

During a later round of sorting, the guy I was helping told me he found two boxes of them, each with two hundred pieces, which he tossed because he didn't think I'd want them.  Tonight, I finally got around to tracking down the part number.  Here's what they are:

These things are so freakin' cool. They used them to display state in computers, among other things.  I could think of a thousand things to do with them. And they went to the dump. Wasted. Because I didn't know. Damn. I hate that.  :palm:

/end rant
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34549 on: July 09, 2019, 04:35:27 am »
It's 31, then.

You guys are driving up the prices on ebay. Go away until I find one for myself! 

Nah they are all yours Wch. I only need 1 and I'm pretty sure 0culus has enough with 2 units  ;D

Yeah, I think two is enough. Gotta think about saving for a VNA.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf