Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17687450 times)

Vince, Wolfgang and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34350 on: July 05, 2019, 08:29:34 pm »
Trotting back to the subject of test leads to use with power supplies, I've picked up a few batches of these:

from a vendor on ebay going by the handle casuntek. Here's a listing for them on ebay UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-4mm-Stackable-Banana-Plug-Wire-Soft-Silicone-Test-Cable-for-Multimeter-1m/232879053961?hash=item3638ac5c89:g:3MoAAOSwQ9ldCMPE.

I bought one lot as a trial order (from an earlier, slightly cheaper listing) some time back and I've been back for more since. Thanks to one of them having a fault (a missing lantern spring) which was sorted out quickly and painlessly by the vendor, I had one cable I could dismantle. Good quality cable, proper copper, lots of cores (55 from memory), generally well made. Good insulation that certainly feels like silicone rubber and strain relief done properly for once. Nominally 15A, 1000V rated, I'd recommend them to anyone who needs some cheap test leads and isn't looking for low-thermal metrology grade.

Anyway, with the mention of horrible voltage drops on leads earlier I though I'd give them a proper 4 wire resistance measurement with my most recent TEA score:

End to end resistance 0.02445 ohms - perfectly respectable. Oh, yes, that is from an Agilent 34461A; and yes, I am sliding down the slope towards volt-nuttery.

The 34461A was scored for a very reasonable £525 a couple of weeks back - so it looks like these are starting to turn up on the secondhand market for sane money. Finally gave up on the hunt for a reasonably priced 34401A and grabbed the 34461A for around £150 more than most good condition 34401As seem to go for. Pristine condition and I get a fancy screen, and an LXi ethernet port and USB to talk to instead of the 34401A's rather awkward GPIB.

So, now I can use a Weston Cell to find out quite how hot it is at the moment. The bonus is that I now have AC measurement good enough to calibrate/verify (at least up to 300 kHz) the HP 3325A sig gen I got a few weeks back. I can get the rest of the frequency range verified, at least to within my comfort zone, by doing some juggling with ratios on the 'scope.

No pictures as I'm feeling too hot and lazy to snap any at the moment but trust me, it looks like it came out of the factory - minus the annoying 'give us your details and you could win...' stickers.

Forgot to say, it came with the handle, all the bumpers and an unused original probe kit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:34:57 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34351 on: July 05, 2019, 08:41:32 pm »
Nice one  :-+. Totally agree with the situation on 34401A versus a 34461A.

The only thing is I worry about is a 34461A's OLED screen.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:43:09 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34352 on: July 05, 2019, 08:43:31 pm »
Edit 2: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153554170494 <-- anyone in UK fancy some storage action?

To quote Richard Thompson: [Fx: sings] "Don't tempt me, Don't tempt me, I'm halfway out of my seat...".

Used to use a Tek storage graphics terminal back in the '70s and I have always had a certain fascination with their storage tubes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:49:49 pm by Cerebus »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34353 on: July 05, 2019, 08:51:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm glad or worried about being an enabler  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #34354 on: July 05, 2019, 08:55:21 pm »
I thought about picking up some Kelvin leads to use with my 3455A....then I saw that the leads cost more than twice what I paid for the damn thing.  :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #34355 on: July 05, 2019, 08:59:46 pm »
I thought about picking up some Kelvin leads to use with my 3455A....then I saw that the leads cost more than twice what I paid for the damn thing.  :palm:
This should fix that itch  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/franky_s-kelvin-clip-kit/

https://www.ebay.com/str/99centhobbies
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:11:21 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34356 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »

I bought some Chinese kelvin clips, some silicone test cable, some braided sleeving, some dual banana plugs, pulled some heatshrink out of the bits box and made my own. Total outlay perhaps £20 and as you can see from the graphic above they do a decent job.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #34357 on: July 05, 2019, 09:46:08 pm »
Very nice...I shall take a closer look.  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34358 on: July 05, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »

The 34461A was scored for a very reasonable £525 a couple of weeks back - so it looks like these are starting to turn up on the secondhand market for sane money. Finally gave up on the hunt for a reasonably priced 34401A and grabbed the 34461A for around £150 more than most good condition 34401As seem to go for. Pristine condition and I get a fancy screen, and an LXi ethernet port and USB to talk to instead of the 34401A's rather awkward GPIB.

Look like a fine dmm, congrats  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34359 on: July 05, 2019, 10:40:33 pm »

Yes super simple to make your own. Bought those Kelvin clip because the end was rather small and narrow. Changed the male banana for female. This way I was able to test different cables I already had.

Then I realized that for the LCR meter, Teflon cables were a lot better. With normal long cables (PVC or Silicon) there is so much leakage I can't zero the instrument.

So I'm making a new version with shielded Teflon cables. I'm also planning to use those with my Kelvin Varley resistance bridge.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #34360 on: July 05, 2019, 10:44:06 pm »
Arrived today    ;D  8)

A bit more detailed:

Lots of measuring ahead for characterising them ...  :-/O   :-DMM
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34361 on: July 05, 2019, 10:51:23 pm »
Arrived today    ;D  8)

Hooo really nice. I see you have great taste in term of voltage reference  :D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34362 on: July 05, 2019, 10:54:28 pm »
Chuffing heck! LT-FLUs? Those are like gold dust. Where on earth did you get them, or should I not ask about the masked man seen walking away from the back door of Fluke's production line?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34363 on: July 05, 2019, 11:08:54 pm »
I guess you can find those on the dark web   :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34364 on: July 05, 2019, 11:17:04 pm »
LTZ1000 is common compared to one of them!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #34365 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:00 pm »
Chuffing heck! LT-FLUs? Those are like gold dust. Where on earth did you get them, or should I not ask about the masked man seen walking away from the back door of Fluke's production line?

It's not a secret.  ;)

I have bought them here:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/new-and-original-electronic-component-ic_60518077974.html

Walton Electronics in Hongkong Shenzhen. This was my second purchase there.

When I've bought the first lot around 2016 they asked for 25 US$ / piece.

Now they have sold them to me for 30 US$ / piece.

They add the Paypal transaction fee as well (iirc 29 US$ for the second deal)

So, if you want to order (minimum order of 10 pieces) some of them I recommend to have a chat with Ms. Wan Tang and ask for the same price her customer from Germany had some days before. These chinese companies are changing their prices in an instant. When I've visited their site, the price was something between 15 and 25 US$.

But since I know them (we have analyzed the first lot of them) I am pretty sure, that these are genuine parts and no scam or counterfeit.

There is another seller from Shenzen on ebay which is selling LTFLU-1 CH units but I have no idea, how reputable he is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183770406682

Mounty

Edit: corrected location
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:31:00 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34366 on: July 05, 2019, 11:46:09 pm »
Used to use a Tek storage graphics terminal back in the '70s and I have always had a certain fascination with their storage tubes.

They were simultaneously beautiful and a pain in the arse.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34367 on: July 06, 2019, 12:26:07 am »

I thought it's a regular LED or even CFL screen. A benefit of a 34401A is probably the effectively instant boot for quick measurements that don't require fully warming the device up. Obviously it being the standard every subsequent device refers to or emulates adds to the charm. That being said, the 3446X's have their own legacy by now.

If I could take my pick I'd probably go for a DMM6500, but good luck finding one of those for a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:35:40 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #34368 on: July 06, 2019, 12:30:55 am »

I am making a set as we speak. Unfortunately, the more I look at the clips I have, the less I like them.  Wondering if these

eBay auction: #252204657919

are worth the price or if folks have another option.

/me, who seems to be on a test lead building kick this week.

specialization is for insects.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34369 on: July 06, 2019, 12:41:20 am »

I thought it's a regular LED or even CFL screen. A benefit of a 34401A is probably the effectively instant boot for quick measurements that don't require fully warming the device up. Obviously it being the standard every subsequent device refers to or emulates adds to the charm. That being said, the 3446X's have their own legacy by now.

If I could take my pick I'd probably go for a DMM6500, but good luck finding one of those for a reasonable price.

Yep, not OLED per the datasheet: 4.3” color TFT WQVGA (480x272) with LED backlight
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #34370 on: July 06, 2019, 01:11:16 am »
There is good and bad points about both the 34401 and 34461A. My 34401A is slightly more temperature stable by a margin of 20-30%, not the end of the world as I am talking single digit ppm with 10+C temperature swings. The 34461A drops while the 34401A rises in voltage measured against fixed temperature references.

Other than that the 34461A has a lot more going for it with ease of logging etc

They both need warming up so the boot time 'issue' is a moot point.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34371 on: July 06, 2019, 01:22:35 am »
There is good and bad points about both the 34401 and 34461A. My 34401A is slightly more temperature stable by a margin of 20-30%, not the end of the world as I am talking single digit ppm with 10+C temperature swings. The 34461A drops while the 34401A rises in voltage measured against fixed temperature references.

Other than that the 34461A has a lot more going for it with ease of logging etc

They both need warming up so the boot time 'issue' is a moot point.
You don't need warming up for every measurement.  :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #34372 on: July 06, 2019, 02:45:58 am »

I am making a set as we speak. Unfortunately, the more I look at the clips I have, the less I like them.  Wondering if these

eBay auction: #252204657919

are worth the price or if folks have another option.

That is what I used to make mine.  I got some gold plated banana plugs from Frankie and I have some sillycone test lead wire that I bought locally.  In fact, I might get a second set to redo the leads on my DER EE LCR meter.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34373 on: July 06, 2019, 04:37:51 am »
I bought some Chinese kelvin clips, some silicone test cable, some braided sleeving, some dual banana plugs, pulled some heatshrink out of the bits box and made my own. Total outlay perhaps £20 and as you can see from the graphic above they do a decent job.

Same here. Also made some "grabbit" probes for my little Chinese component testers the same way.

I am making a set as we speak. Unfortunately, the more I look at the clips I have, the less I like them. 

Wondering if these eBay auction: #252204657919 are worth the price or if folks have another option.

I looked at those myself, and eventually went with the cheapies like Kosmic used. Mostly because I needed several for the various test jigs I wanted to make, and I wasn't into spending over $100 on just the clips.  :scared:

While not as nice in the "screwed together" dept, they do disassemble easily allowing you to solder directly to the metal jaws, which align well and the serrations interlock with no void space. And because they're not priced like they're made of gold-pressed latinum, you don't need to hesitate to grind or file them to shape when you need a custom tip for a sorting sortie or something similar.  :-+

mnem
Pretty is as pretty does.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:41:31 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34374 on: July 06, 2019, 04:52:05 am »
TinkerDwagon Time...

There's something viscerally soothing about simple, skilled handwork like shaving a gasket. It's all about the journey: You know where you are, and where you want to be, and the only way to get there is to take it one step at a time, as it comes to you, carefully working your way to the end.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:54:51 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf