Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18089610 times)

Wolfgang, onsokumaru and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34100 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »
I forgot to add, I have an external PCTEL GPS Timing antenna which does a great job with the L1 signal, but not so well with the other GNSS systems, like Galileo and GLONASS.  Galileo is what I'm really after as it has the potential to provide a much greater accuracy than GPS.  The M8T with the latest firmware is enabled for Galileo and BeiDou, can track three constellations and up to 32 sats at once, I'm seeing up to 20 now just with my L1 antenna.  I placed an order for a GNSS multiband external PCTEL antenna.  The M8T has a Survey-In Time Mode that computes a fixed position then sets it.  This helps by taking out relative motion in the timing factors. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34101 on: July 01, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
At least we're not in the era of Selective Availability on GPS and nothing else up there!

Not looked at Galileo other than them annoying the 23cm band users yet. Plus AFAIK we're excluded from it when we bail out of Europe or something. Not sure what the consequences there are from a technical perspective other than wasted investment.

Just looking through the 5334B schematics and I'm going to bring the +15V unregulated line out to a connector on the back. This is rectified and smoothed when the unit is plugged in and turned off to power the reference in standby mode so I will then make a patch lead so the 5334B can power its external reference. Job done. Also saves using an SLA and wall wart which is the current power supply for this!

This is definitely the start of time nuttery. There I've said it. I've found my nuttery niche!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34102 on: July 01, 2019, 11:22:27 pm »
Okay... so what time is it?  :-DD

mnem
Relatively, of course.  ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34103 on: July 02, 2019, 02:12:10 am »
Got 2 new power supplies for the bench last week. Got them pretty cheap since they were sold as broken. They both goes up to 40V which is interesting since the 2 power supplies I already have are limited to 20V.

The big one on the left (Lambda LQ-532) had a binding post broken but otherwise was supposed to be functional.

The other one (Lambda LQD-422) was showing impossible number on the meter (84V ???) and the seller mentioned that it was not possible to set the voltage correctly.

So I serviced both unit. Changing most of the smaller electrolytic cap (the big one were fine and they are not easy to find anyway).  Since those unit can be disassembled quite easily changing the binding post on the LQ-532 was a piece of cake.

I also took the time to clean the Meter Selection switch with deoxit on both units. On those models the switch tend to get dirty and then the meter give false reading.

After all that work they are both happily humming along with my other Lambda PSU (I got 4 now  ^-^)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:19:15 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, med6753, kj7e, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34104 on: July 02, 2019, 02:19:57 am »
Mmm.... juicy! Well done!  :-+

eBay auction: #133017269362

mnem
*time for a little moose juice and relax*
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:24:57 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34105 on: July 02, 2019, 03:14:38 am »
Nicely done. There's something about that era of Lambda power supplies that I like, but don't yet own any. I'll have to fix that at some point.

And now, for something completely different. A mechanical frequency meter/monitor:

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #34106 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:00 am »
Just got done cleaning up and checking out my new (to me) HP 3310B Function Generator.  I'm starting to see a theme here.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #34107 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:31 am »
Well done.
Those supplies look great.
Now I feel like I need proper power supplies.

Just got done cleaning up and checking out my new (to me) HP 3310B Function Generator.  I'm starting to see a theme here.
Gorgeous set!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #34108 on: July 02, 2019, 04:20:24 am »

Now read the manuals for all of them and decide what bit you now 'need' to help keep them in Calibration  >:D 735A Transfer standard springs to mind  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34109 on: July 02, 2019, 04:58:39 am »

I like where this collection is heading. Mine has three different generations so far: 3310A, 3312A, and 33120A.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:46:44 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34110 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:25 am »
Yeah that’s a fine collection  :-+

Still need me a 427A

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34111 on: July 02, 2019, 07:13:45 am »
Love all those big knobs to fondle.

That's why I would love to have one of them! These are real knobs. They can be fondled even with gloved hands. :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34112 on: July 02, 2019, 12:06:01 pm »
Got my PCB for my alarm replacement / SLA charger through and found 18 errors on it on my part  :-DD

I suck :D

Revision 2 in progress...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #34113 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:10 pm »
Got my PCB for my alarm replacement / SLA charger through and found 18 errors on it on my part  :-DD

I suck :D

Revision 2 in progress...
:-DD
Well the trick is to print the PCB layout on paper and check them first.  :P

New name: bd139L
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34114 on: July 02, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »
I did actually do that but missed a few boo boos. It'll basically work and isn't functionally wrong. It's stuff like the SCR crowbar's ground side terminal is connected by a trace of 0.5mm across (from the ground flood) which is probably going to melt before the fuse does etc etc.

I usually have to do 3 runs before I'm happy and this is the first so not that bothered yet :)

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34115 on: July 02, 2019, 12:35:30 pm »
kj7e -
"I forgot to add, I have an external PCTEL GPS Timing antenna which does a great job..."

I use 2 of the PCTEL antennas with a clear view of the sky as shown below. Each antenna drives a L1 distribution amplifier so I can have multiple GPS receivers running at the same time. One of my receivers that is running 24/7 drives a 10Mhz DA to send 10Mhz to all my other equipment. In the middle of the equipment photo below is a 25-year old Rb standard that is very stable and has 10Mhz buffered outputs plus one 1Ghz output with Rb stability. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34116 on: July 02, 2019, 12:43:00 pm »
I did actually do that but missed a few boo boos. It'll basically work and isn't functionally wrong. It's stuff like the SCR crowbar's ground side terminal is connected by a trace of 0.5mm across (from the ground flood) which is probably going to melt before the fuse does etc etc.

I usually have to do 3 runs before I'm happy and this is the first so not that bothered yet :)

If your crowbar doesn't work, try the "Stick of Wisdom"...  ;)

mnem
*off to do battle with the front lawn... again*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34117 on: July 02, 2019, 01:47:47 pm »
Well the GPSDO arrived and I rather like it.

Comes in a neat little case, well packaged with GPS antenna and USB cable.

Chucked the GPS antenna out of the window, plugged it all in to the PC, connected my counter and downloaded the software and it works. Zero hassle. No drivers required.

Software. Location removed :D

Yep that counter is out .... 7Hz from factory. Pfft!

Will cal the OCXO and other counters later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34118 on: July 02, 2019, 02:40:14 pm »
Try a little percussive maintenance... that ALWAYS works.  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34119 on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:58 pm »
The Tek 7904 PSU on the bench. The pop and magic smoke originated at the top left corner of the shield. So....let's pull it apart.

Done. Problem found in 30 seconds. And it's a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  :palm: Those are two 22uf tants in parallel to replace a 47uf done by me on the pre-regulator board. Obviously I installed one of them backwards. Didn't like it too much.  :-//  I don't have a 47uf nor a 22uf in stock. But do have a 15uf/25V. I'll replace it with that cap.

So....apparently the old CRT is indeed bad. The original problem started before I re-capped the pre-regulator. Which is why after installing replacement CRT power came up for short time then this cap blew. Oh well. Such is life. I'll get this repaired and see what happens. (Crossing fingers and toes).   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34120 on: July 02, 2019, 03:49:46 pm »
That is nearly 1 kHz on 1 GHz
Adjustable on the PFM3000?
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34121 on: July 02, 2019, 03:55:09 pm »
Done. Problem found in 30 seconds. And it's a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  :palm: Those are two 22uf tants in parallel to replace a 47uf done by me on the pre-regulator board. Obviously I installed one of them backwards. Didn't like it too much.  :-//  I don't have a 47uf nor a 22uf in stock. But do have a 15uf/25V. I'll replace it with that cap.

Woooooosh! Hahaha  :-DD

I've done that a couple of times. The line is + on tants and - on electrolytics. I burned up some expensive ones a few years ago working that one out :D

Found the Kemet TAJ SMD ones don't explode - they just get hot and desolder themselves  :-DD

So....apparently the old CRT is indeed bad. The original problem started before I re-capped the pre-regulator. Which is why after installing replacement CRT power came up for short time then this cap blew. Oh well. Such is life. I'll get this repaired and see what happens. (Crossing fingers and toes).

Cool. Good luck  :-+

Yeah adjusted it down. It's now 0.5Hz out at 10MHz which is fine. I don't expect miracles out of the PFM3000 TBH as it's a trimcap adjuster and a standard non compensated XO. nothing fancy. 2Hz tolerance at 10MHz is fine. My narrowest filter is 200Hz so 1% of that is good enough.

Going to do the HP 5334B later in the week. That has external OCXO reference now.

Plan is to connect the external XO and the GPSDO to two channels on scope and adjust until the traces track, then whack it into the 5334B ext ref and check it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:58:00 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34122 on: July 02, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »
This Tek 7904 is becoming a real thorn in my side. Got it all back together and have a trace. But no trigger plus vertical issues. Turns out several of the supply voltages.....+/- 15V and 5V are reading way low. Resistance checks show it's in the supply. This makes no sense. All those voltages were fine after I re-capped the pre-regulator board. So I have to pull the PSU again and figure out what happen. This sucks.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34123 on: July 02, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »

Woooooosh! Hahaha  :-DD

I've done that a couple of times. The line is + on tants and - on electrolytics. I burned up some expensive ones a few years ago working that one out :D

Found the Kemet TAJ SMD ones don't explode - they just get hot and desolder themselves  :-DD

Cool. Good luck  :-+

Yeah adjusted it down. It's now 0.5Hz out at 10MHz which is fine. I don't expect miracles out of the PFM3000 TBH as it's a trimcap adjuster and a standard non compensated XO. nothing fancy. 2Hz tolerance at 10MHz is fine. My narrowest filter is 200Hz so 1% of that is good enough.

Going to do the HP 5334B later in the week. That has external OCXO reference now.

Plan is to connect the external XO and the GPSDO to two channels on scope and adjust until the traces track, then whack it into the 5334B ext ref and check it.
Some tants just have a longer leg on the positive, which is a bastard if leg has clipped short for some reason as you then have a 50/50 chance of getting it right  :palm: Why cant they all use a common standard of marking that is good across all kinds of polarised caps, oh of stupid old me, that too fecking logical that's why  :box:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34124 on: July 02, 2019, 06:14:34 pm »
Freaking magic. I pulled the PSU. No shorts. No low resistance readings. Pulled all the plug-ins then checked mainframe resistance readings as per manual. No shorts. No low resistance readings. Reconnected PSU one connector at a time and verified no shorts. Left all the plug-ins out and powered up. The -50V, +/-15V, and +5V reading low. The -50V is the reference. Earlier it was reading -53V, now reading -47.5V. It's the one supply voltage that has an adjustment. Set it to -50V. Now the +/-15V and +5V in spec. Inserted plug-ins. Powered up.

She's alive!  :-+ :-+

Don't know what happen earlier. Must have been a connector one pin off or something. New CRT looks excellent. Now I gotta get it all back together. The PSU is hanging out the back and other assorted shit draped all over.     

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, mnementh, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf