Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17688221 times)

samofab, Robert763, Nipkinz, diskcopy and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33875 on: June 27, 2019, 03:54:16 pm »
You can clearly see the Shepherd in her, please don't dock her tail will you? Even with her being part Boxer, I still think it's so cruel. It's bad enough if something happens, like my cat did when a dog chewed her tail, she had to lose it to save her life. [emoji190]

My wife and I prefer dogs with tails.  Not sure why anyone would cut them off.

When we got our stray Doberman mix, there was no question of leaving the tail and ears alone.  I get a kick out of his randomly floppy ears; 1 up and 1 down and partly to the side when he is excited about something.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33876 on: June 27, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
   Anybody some helpful advice how to solder these 1mm² thingies?   https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/667-FJ4B01120L1

1mm x 1mm footprint...? 4 pads...?  Fuuuuuuu... hire nanobots.  :-DD

mnem
Alternately, a triple-dose of Fukitol.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33877 on: June 27, 2019, 04:21:48 pm »
[1mm x 1mm footprint...? 4 pads...?  Fuuuuuuu... hire nanobots.  :-DD

Yep, they are really really tiny. :-) But I have to create first some adapter PCBs anyway before I can play around with them.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33878 on: June 27, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »
You can clearly see the Shepherd in her, please don't dock her tail will you? Even with her being part Boxer, I still think it's so cruel. It's bad enough if something happens, like my cat did when a dog chewed her tail, she had to lose it to save her life. [emoji190]
When we got our stray Doberman mix, there was no question of leaving the tail and ears alone.  I get a kick out of his randomly floppy ears; 1 up and 1 down and partly to the side when he is excited about something.

Grandmother raised Dobies... when we got our stray dobie/wolf/shepherd mix she said we should crop her; mom & I vacillated until it was well too late. Glad we did; when she grew up with her coarse black fur & heavy jowls she would've been all wrong. And a big thick tail like a alligator, when she was happy Miss Kitty would knock you over with it.  :-DD

mnem
*Sigh* She was the best dog ever...  :'(
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33879 on: June 27, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »

Yep, they are really really tiny. :-) But I have to create first some adapter PCBs anyway before I can play around with them.

Just imagining the explosion when you blow one of those up... about like this:  poot! I'll wager.
mnem
:-DD
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:57:52 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33880 on: June 27, 2019, 06:17:38 pm »
TEST GEAR ALERT!

eBay user zhoefler has a feck load of HP power sensors and other stuff for sale. Auction. Germany.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33881 on: June 27, 2019, 06:21:22 pm »
had some business at the courthouse this afternoon.

on the way out swmbo towed me into the specialty "sweeet!" shop across the street.  (a real tourist trap)

she picked up "flake" bars because she associates them with her limey childhood.

she bought me a "curly wurly". 

will consuming it make me binge watch episodes of mr bean?

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33882 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33:45 pm »
Ugh curly wurlies (and irn bru) are the fuel for guttersnipes. Look ma, I'm 17, got three kids already, three teeth, an ASBO and a pitbull.

If you want some authentic limey crap, watch The Inbetweeners. Not the film but the series. Especially the one where they go to Thorpe Park.

Edit: mr bean trivia. In the one where he gets dressed in the car, he goes past my house :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:44:49 pm by bd139 »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33883 on: June 27, 2019, 06:50:32 pm »
I'm 17, got three kids already, three teeth, an ASBO and a pitbull.

Aren't they CBOs now?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33884 on: June 27, 2019, 06:53:08 pm »
Yes they are but everyone still calls them ASBOs. The problem is they turned into a badge of honour rather than a punishment  :palm:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:57:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33885 on: June 27, 2019, 07:10:10 pm »
Just imagining the explosion when you blow one of those up... about like this:  poot! I'll wager.
mnem
:-DD

;D

I'd take a picture of one of these buggers.

No chance to do handsoldering. No way.  :palm:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33886 on: June 27, 2019, 07:11:08 pm »
I reckon I could solder wires onto it. Get a ~10mm chunk of FR4 single sided, cut a cross in it, glue it upside down in the middle and then add "bond wires" from the pads on the FR4. Paste the bottom of it, align bond with tweezers, paste it then blast it with a hot air gun.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:12:44 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33887 on: June 27, 2019, 07:15:25 pm »
TEST GEAR ALERT!

eBay user zhoefler has a feck load of HP power sensors and other stuff for sale. Auction. Germany.

I know zhoefler, ordered occasionly some stuff there. Their shop is a bit unorganized but they have often nice things.
They have sold stuff at the HAM Radio, too, e.g. these deadly but cheap film capacitors.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #33888 on: June 27, 2019, 07:19:37 pm »
   Anybody some helpful advice how to solder these 1mm² thingies?   https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/667-FJ4B01120L1

1mm x 1mm footprint...? 4 pads...?  Fuuuuuuu... hire nanobots.  :-DD

mnem
Alternately, a triple-dose of Fukitol.
Other than a binocular microscope, hot air, lots of flux and a cold beer to calm the trembling hands, no. Use tacky flux, pre-tin the pads, set airflow to minimum, pray.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6.1 mit Tapatalk

Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33889 on: June 27, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
I reckon I could solder wires onto it. Get a ~10mm chunk of FR4 single sided, cut a cross in it, glue it upside down in the middle and then add "bond wires" from the pads on the FR4. Paste the bottom of it, align bond with tweezers, paste it then blast it with a hot air gun.

When the temperatures will go below 20 °C then I will give this a try.
But instead of single sided FR4 I'll grab a tiny piece of a lab card with solder dots and glue it between the dots and then try to solder
some  of the tiny copper wires from a high flexible 0,14mm² cable onto it.

Thanks for the idea.  :-+

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #33890 on: June 27, 2019, 07:32:36 pm »

Aren't they CBOs now?

Collateralized Bond Obligations?  Huh?

specialization is for insects.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33891 on: June 27, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »

Aren't they CBOs now?

Collateralized Bond Obligations?  Huh?

ASBO - Anti-Social Behavior Order
CBO - Criminal Behavior Order

All goes back to "A Clockwork Orange" somehow.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33892 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:47 pm »

Easy: all you have to do is cut out a small piece of FR4, and cut a cross in it with a dremel (dentists burrs recommended, but any ball will do) or hacksaw.

Edit: I see bd139 beat me to it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:48:30 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33893 on: June 27, 2019, 09:15:28 pm »
In Other News...

Something is coming; let's hope it's not poop on a PCB.:-DD  eBay auction: #323831860749  Tracking says it left Lost Angeles yesterday, enroute to me (or someone else) now.

Confidence is NOT high; seller has changed their username, taken feedback profile private, and collected 34 negative feedback all since I bought the thing.  :P

mnem
*still-sick-as-a-dog-dwagon*

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #33894 on: June 27, 2019, 09:19:27 pm »
In Other News...

Something is coming; let's hope it's not poop on a PCB.:-DD  eBay auction: #323831860749  Tracking says it left Lost Angeles yesterday, enroute to me (or someone else) now.

Confidence is NOT high; seller has changed their username, taken feedback profile private, and collected 34 negative feedback all since I bought the thing.  :P

mnem

So you ordered one, too? For mine, the tracking number turned out to be fake.

After I figured that out, I wrote to the seller and got a "oh I am on vacation until June 30" email. Then the seller's name changed. Then the listing was removed because the item was "lost or broken". It went on from there.  The item was due on June 21st. Alas, it never showed up.  I expect ebay will issue a refund to me tomorrow and eat the cost.

Oh well, when something looks too good to be true, etc.  :-DD

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:37:51 pm by wch »
specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33895 on: June 27, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »

Grandmother raised Dobies... when we got our stray dobie/wolf/shepherd mix she said we should crop her; mom & I vacillated until it was well too late. Glad we did; when she grew up with her coarse black fur & heavy jowls she would've been all wrong. And a big thick tail like a alligator, when she was happy Miss Kitty would knock you over with it.  :-DD

mnem
That reminds of my mums old dog "Tessa", a lovely brindle Boxer and when she was excited, particularly if she hadn't seen you for a while, run flat out towards you and leap at you chest height and if you failed to brace yourself, ended up up as a sprawled heap on the floor with bouncing boxer all over you. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33896 on: June 27, 2019, 09:42:43 pm »
In Other News...

mnem
Hang on a smoky moment, dwagon, I thought you brought one of those last year and then proceeded to make your 3D printed stand for it DMM's? what happened to that one then?? :-// :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33897 on: June 27, 2019, 09:54:43 pm »

mnem
That reminds of my mums old dog "Tessa", a lovely brindle Boxer and when she was excited, particularly if she hadn't seen you for a while, run flat out towards you and leap at you chest height and if you failed to brace yourself, ended up up as a sprawled heap on the floor with bouncing boxer all over you.

Yeah... that was her until she was a year or two old... then she settled down into farm life.  :-DD

Yeah; those "flying bond wires" probably aren't the best choice with a 5.4A working current capacity. This is def one where you should just suck it up, draw the damned thing and make a PCB. Effing 0.5mm pad spacing... smeesh. Why even make a discrete that small? Not like you can do anything useful with it unless you attach it to a PCB 10x bigger than it is...  |O

If you make the pads oversize and splayed out symmetrically, should be able to paint the bottom of the FET with flux and then wick solder with a 0.8mm point tip and not apply excessive heat.  :-+

I've soldered to 0.5mm pitch pins and ribbon; it's not easy, but is doable. You wind up looking around like this for an hour afterwards...  :o

In Other News...

mnem

So you ordered one, too? For mine, the tracking number turned out to be fake. After I figured that out, I wrote to the seller and got a "oh I am on vacation until June 30" email. Then the seller's name changed. Then the listing was removed because the item was "lost or broken". It went on from there.  The item was due on June 21st. Alas, it never showed up.  I expect ebay will issue a refund to me tomorrow and eat the cost.

Oh well, when something looks too good to be true, etc.  :-DD

Yeah, I should probably file a dispute now, but there is SOMETHING moving through the USPS. I'm curious to see if something actually comes to ME... :P

Hang on a smoky moment, dwagon, I thought you brought one of those last year and then proceeded to make your 3D printed stand for it DMM's? what happened to that one then?? :-// :scared:

Nothing. I love the damned thing! And since I figured out how to make it do ESR, I actually get values that mean something to me, while at the same time building my own internal "gut feeling" for what acceptable Tan Delta numbers are. I just figured "Hey... chance to get one 60% off, or maybe get a clone I can compare for a good article..."  :-//

mnem
*koff... gag... gurgle-wheeze...*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33898 on: June 27, 2019, 10:17:41 pm »
5334B update. Found another source of MB506 prescalers. Have ordered one. Fingers crossed it isn't some fake POS.

RIFAs up close. These buggers are well on their way to an inferno

This takes a lot of dismantling to get to the bottom of the board.

New improved RIFAs installed and a bit of cleaning done

While I was in there I did the first half of the hardware mod i.e. sticking the pigtail on for the front panel. Bought three of the BNC connectors as I am good at buggering them up but this one went perfectly.

Didn't screw anything up!

Wankers:

Next steps:

1. Drill a hole in the front panel.
2. Install the two diode bridges
3. Install prescaler
4. Go oooh, ahh a bit
5. Stop loitering on leo bodnar's site and buy something :D

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Kosmic

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33899 on: June 27, 2019, 10:48:16 pm »
Not seeing anything on your bench that looks like a solder sucker... what did you remove the RIFAs with?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf