Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17687628 times)

diskcopy and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32475 on: June 02, 2019, 08:34:58 pm »
Since we are on the topic of computers, I thought this thumbnail on YouTube for a recent Linus Tech Tips video was pretty funny.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32476 on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »
Mnem -  I wish my math skills were even half as good as yours.  I have forgotten so much from college days (getting systemic dain bramage along the way didn't  help) that I started reviewing with my old (ancient) high school algebra texts last summer.  I figger I'll  be done algebra, trig/geom, and calc 101  in another 2 years.  It sucks getting old and forgetful.

OMG  I just laughed my ass off about that fosters story!!  :-DD :-DD

I took three years worth of analytical geometry, linear algebra, trig, calculus, etc in college. Forty years, later I have retained just enough to realize how much I don't remember. I am currently working my way through Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach, taking notes and doing the problem. I am backfilling on what's called pre-calculus these days whenever I hit some concept or formula that I don't remember, which is most often in geometry or trig.

Why you ask? Can't really grok Maxwell's equations or general relativity, without them.

In TEA related news... my DMMCheck Plus finally arrived.  The ten minute first pass review: it is a pretty damn good tool for a hundred bucks.  The bad news is it revealed that both my 8840A and the HP 3478As are a bit drifty in the least significant digits, so I probably have some work to do.

specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32477 on: June 02, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »
Used to blow the buggers up all the time when I was a kid. Harmless  :-DD

This is rather interesting: http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/antuino/

Edit: gone off the above already after finding the schematic. As Farhan's stuff always does, it's kicking out a square wave which means you can't use it effectively for wideband sweeps due to the harmonics. Plus there's no way that power output calibration is any good. Plus the UI is clunky as fuck.

Yup. I bought one at FDIM and played with a it a bit.  Ashar built it for a specific task and figured it would make an interesting piece of test equipment. I don't know about the power output calibration yet because I haven't tested it. It is sort of a concept project at best right now.

And, honestly, it doesn't really have a user interface.

The real issue for me is you have to have a PhD in Si5351 to understand how to make it do interesting stuff and I just ain't that smart.  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32478 on: June 02, 2019, 09:49:32 pm »
Bic lighter laptops. I’m gonna steal that  :-DD

8)

IN OTHER NEWS...

My wife finally toddled off for a nap. >:D

mnem
Let's see how that works out for me.  :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32479 on: June 02, 2019, 10:06:12 pm »
Niiiiiiice. Needs matrix screensaver :-DD

Used to blow the buggers up all the time when I was a kid. Harmless  :-DD

This is rather interesting: http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/antuino/

Edit: gone off the above already after finding the schematic. As Farhan's stuff always does, it's kicking out a square wave which means you can't use it effectively for wideband sweeps due to the harmonics. Plus there's no way that power output calibration is any good. Plus the UI is clunky as fuck.

Yup. I bought one at FDIM and played with a it a bit.  Ashar built it for a specific task and figured it would make an interesting piece of test equipment. I don't know about the power output calibration yet because I haven't tested it. It is sort of a concept project at best right now.

And, honestly, it doesn't really have a user interface.

The real issue for me is you have to have a PhD in Si5351 to understand how to make it do interesting stuff and I just ain't that smart.  :-//
I just cut and paste Hans' code: https://qrp-labs.com/synth/si5351ademo.html  :-DD

Note: I don't use arduino environment other than the steal the AVR-GCC compiler and avrdude from so I don't have to build it. I hate Arduino so much I'll eviscerate the corpse and use the organs and chuck the flaccid remaining bloated whale on the street for the rats to drag away!

For the mathematicians here, on topic. A little life lesson. You will forget everything. My 15 year old comes to me expecting answers to her GCSE questions. This conversation usually ends with a sarcastic stab at "I thought you went to university?". After being poked with this a few times I've taught myself to ask what she's doing and cover it quickly so I don't look like an idiot in the future. Thank fuck for late night Khan Academy sessions!

The following users thanked this post: URI

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32480 on: June 02, 2019, 10:39:14 pm »

8)

IN OTHER NEWS...

mnem

What is it with wimen's fascination with unicorns?  :-//  ::) There has to be some sort of subliminal message here. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32481 on: June 02, 2019, 11:34:41 pm »

What is it with guys' fascination with dragons? Why was our wedding Dragon & Unicorn themed? Why does the Grelber steal my left socks?  :wtf:

mnem
No, really... why ONLY the left ones?!?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:38:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32482 on: June 02, 2019, 11:44:29 pm »

8)

IN OTHER NEWS...

mnem
Breaking news, Brexit unicorns have been spotted on the run in Texas, the Brexit party have filed extradition papers  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32483 on: June 03, 2019, 01:45:56 am »
I took three years worth of analytical geometry, linear algebra, trig, calculus, etc in college. Forty years, later I have retained just enough to realize how much I don't remember. I am currently working my way through Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach, taking notes and doing the problem. I am backfilling on what's called pre-calculus these days whenever I hit some concept or formula that I don't remember, which is most often in geometry or trig.

Why you ask? Can't really grok Maxwell's equations or general relativity, without them.

Make sure that backfill includes tensor algebra and Riemannian geometry; the authoritative book is tough going without some working knowledge of both (not joking; I'm still working my way though it and while it's quite a good source it does get deep at times) :

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32484 on: June 03, 2019, 01:48:10 am »

Wow that's an interesting statement, Lenovo are a Chinese manuefacturer so it just goes to prove that Being made in China is not necessarily a bad thing after all.
Being made in China in a organisation (on on a line) formerly set up by IBM (or for the needs of) might make the difference.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32485 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:49 am »
IN OTHER NEWS...      My wife finally toddled off for a nap. >:D

mnem
Breaking news, Brexit unicorns have been spotted on the run in Texas, the Brexit party have filed extradition papers  :-DD
She HATES it... |O

mnem
Brexiters can kiss my scaly dragon ass!  * Chugs a can of Dragon Whoop-Ass (double red-hot lava with anthracite coal chaser) * "Bring it! Ya ignorant, inbred, mouth-breathing, copper-bottomed, three-toed backbirth fuckwits!!!"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:11:22 am by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32486 on: June 03, 2019, 02:47:51 am »

Make sure that backfill includes tensor algebra and Riemannian geometry; the authoritative book is tough going without some working knowledge of both (not joking; I'm still working my way though it and while it's quite a good source it does get deep at times) :

Tensor algebra and Riemann geometry will be new territory for me. At my current pace, I figure tackling relativity is at least two years out. Maxwell's equations are, by comparison, easier sledding.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32487 on: June 03, 2019, 02:51:13 am »
She HATES it...

She does?

You did clear the specs with her first, right?   ???

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32488 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:09 am »

Tensor algebra and Riemann geometry will be new territory for me. At my current pace, I figure tackling relativity is at least two years out. Maxwell's equations are, by comparison, easier sledding.

I'm kind of doing the same thing. I have a degree in math, but it's been a while and if you don't use it, you lose a lot.  |O

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32489 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:40 am »

I'm kind of doing the same thing. I have a degree in math, but it's been a while and if you don't use it, you lose a lot.  |O

About the only thing I remember 'properly' from Uni Calculus is the Lecturer who could actually teach it and make the subject palatable for 100+ students. Good bloke considering he was a pure academic and Maths Phd  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32490 on: June 03, 2019, 03:10:07 am »
I remember the calculus prof, saying "Well, to solve this one, you just have to do a little mathematical gamesmanship ...".  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32491 on: June 03, 2019, 03:24:35 am »

mnem
She HATES it... |O

mnem
Brexiters can kiss my scaly dragon ass!  * Chugs a can of Dragon Whoop-Ass (double red-hot lava with anthracite coal chaser) * "Bring it! Ya ignorant, inbred, mouth-breathing, copper-bottomed, three-toed backbirth fuckwits!!!"

For your next print/shmbo gift  >:D  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3250078

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32492 on: June 03, 2019, 03:25:18 am »
She HATES it...

She does? You did clear the specs with her first, right?   ???

What specs? It's the SAME monitor she already has... just two of them.  |O The shelf is even the same... just a wider sheet of glass to accommodate two monitors.

mnem
* Toddling off to find an electric fence to pee on *

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32493 on: June 03, 2019, 03:31:14 am »

Too late. I already bought Poo-nicorn plushies for the kids at Christmas. I KNOW what she thinks of THEM.  :palm:

mnem
Thank Ifni they don't know what that name sounds like...  :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:32:53 am by mnementh »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32494 on: June 03, 2019, 04:35:57 am »

Yes, if you know differential equations, Maxwell can be deciphered fairly well.  We actually had a physics professor write them down in integral form as a "4 equations in 4 unknowns" set and proceed to solve for the wave velocity.  Not surprisingly, the result, once you plugged in the magnetic and electric constants of free space, came out to be "c".  It was eye-opening to see that all of EM theory proceeds from a compact set of equations.

The main issue in GR is that you have 10 nonlinear differential equations to solve (meaning the inputs depend on the outputs).  This necessitates that you make some assumptions about the form of the solution and is what led to Einstein's long search for a compatible metric so that he could express his requirements consistently.  Riemannian (differential) geometry turned out to be the key, as it divested itself of the coordinate restrictions we typically assume in our customary Cartesian system.  Pretty complex stuff, yet it has a beauty and elegance all its own.

I highly recommend John Wheeler's A Journey Into Gravity and Spacetime from Scientific American.  Written entirely without the complex math, it nonetheless captures the spirit of general relativity and is quite entertaining as well.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32495 on: June 03, 2019, 04:47:52 am »
Before it's gone...

WOOHOOO!!! Lucky Thirteen hundred!!!

Because I needed a good Woohoo!, that's why.

mnem
Also cuz I'm a bit chafed that bean had no pithy response to my little furphy...  :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:57:01 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32496 on: June 03, 2019, 05:23:31 am »
Before it's gone...

WOOHOOO!!! Lucky Thirteen hundred!!!

Because I needed a good Woohoo!, that's why.

mnem
Also cuz I'm a bit chafed that bean had no pithy response to my little furphy...  :P

I don't consider Fosters an Australian Beer even as drain cleaner the Sugar and preservatives in it make it unsuitable not to mention the rest of the chemicals ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32497 on: June 03, 2019, 05:48:44 am »

mnem
She HATES it... |O

mnem
Look stop sodding about and say what you really mean [emoji23][emoji23][emoji83][emoji83]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32498 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:10 am »

I know someone that had the bad taste to make ponyprobe and minionprobe - but he redeems himself with some geek/TEA/GAS porn at https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/albums

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:23:53 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32499 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:00 am »
I shot over to Stansted Airport today to see could catch some photos of AirForce 1 and other support aircraft that flew in this morning on his state visit.

The first two I shot on the approach to Stanstead about 1 mile from touch down and then a quick dash  through the country lanes to an industrial estate about 1 mile from the opposite end of the Airport I pleased to discover that I was in time to catch his helicopter departing for the short hop in to London.

He also had a pair of Chinnock's that headed into London a few minutes later but they unfortunately took a slightly different route and they would have nothing more then a specks in the distance so I never photographed them. I'll see what the weather is like when he returns later in the week.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:55:51 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf