Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16618604 times)

NANOJOLTS, flash2b, wkb, themadhippy, SingleBitError and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27875 on: March 23, 2019, 03:37:23 pm »
There's no such thing as a digital circuit...only analog circuits forced to have 2 stable states.  :-DD Sooner or later most digital people end up learning that the hard way.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27876 on: March 23, 2019, 03:53:11 pm »
Yup... how many times I've had to explain to people (especially since I got into multirotor RC aircraft with digital FCs, ESCs and numerous digital accessories that make a modern RC quadcopter into a RF HOSTILE environment) that EVERY DIGITAL SIGNAL MUST FIRST EXIST IN THE ANALOG DOMAIN.

95% of the time all I get back is that look like a tree full of owls.  :o

mnem
But it's that 5% who DO grok that will eventually carry the torch... so we must carry on.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:57:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27877 on: March 23, 2019, 04:16:56 pm »
Distance, time, energy, entropy are all discretised so it’s digital under that analogue  :-DD

Disclaimer: may be more turtles further down.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27878 on: March 23, 2019, 04:19:59 pm »
There's no such thing as a digital circuit...only analog circuits forced to have 2 stable states.  :-DD Sooner or later most digital people end up learning that the hard way.

I repeatedly make a similar point, emphasised by the caveat "... unless you are doing photon counting or femtoamp circuits".

I also note that the receiver interprets the analogue voltage (or current) as a digital signal.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27879 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »
Distance, time, energy, entropy are all discretised so it’s digital under that analogue  :-DD

Disclaimer: may be more turtles further down.

:-DD

See, at the scales I care about that doesn't affect me. I leave that for the physics nerds.  >:D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27880 on: March 23, 2019, 04:22:50 pm »

People can understand that current is quantised, once they think, remember physics lessons, and realise those lessons actually have relevance in their world.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27881 on: March 23, 2019, 05:12:10 pm »
I am still digging through the box I stuff I saved from the dumpster. Last night I found a Trimble Thunderbolt and this:

A couple of hours of interwebs digging revealed no useful information. Figure if anyone knows what this is, that person is spending time on this thread. Here are some more photos:

Any ideas?
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27882 on: March 23, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »

People can understand that current is quantised, once they think, remember physics lessons, and realise those lessons actually have relevance in their world.

Yes exactly. When you look at things like TLC NAND FLASH solid state disks it’s or extreme relevance for example. All they do is squirt and store a discrete electron count in a floating gate.

It really does help with understanding fast and small things if you think of electron shuffling.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #27883 on: March 23, 2019, 06:32:44 pm »
(Or, if all that seems too much research, just get some old HP catalogs and start working your way through them, getting one of everything.)

I was going to say that catalogs are even more dangerous than manuals, but refrained from doing so because just mentioning it is a slippery slope. Too late now! *Swish*

So what is this "one of everything" you speak of? You can't have just one. It never works out like that. :-DD
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:43:32 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27885 on: March 23, 2019, 07:10:53 pm »

That's true for electronic circuits using semiconductors.

It's not true for electromechanical switches aka relays.  ;)     :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #27886 on: March 23, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »
Nice teardown!  What is the serial number prefix of the supply?  (first four digits)  I'm trying to date the caps, and it looks like 8434 for the big ones (34th week of 84), and maybe 8447 for the 1500uF one - can't quite make it out.  Though that seems old given the excellent condition of the supply - the s/n prefix would establish the earliest it could have been manufactured.  (And I like how you hide your vodka in plain sight on the bench in that innocent looking squeeze bottle... ;) )

-Pat

Serial number starts with 2451, so its post 1984 but that only reflects the version, due to the rocker power switch I believe this one was manufactured after 91'. 

The good news, I bought a pair of NOS Sprague 1500uF 40v snap-in's on eBay that arrived today and they test out perfect!  Testing at 1700-1800uF each @ 1KHz and 1560uF + or - a few at 120Hz.  Just got done ramping up the voltage on them slowly, showing very little leakage so I will be putting these in for sure.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:48:58 pm by kj7e »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #27887 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »

Sorry to hear about all the bad caps though... that BOM is gonna be pretty pricey. 

mnem

Not too bad really, picked up the NOS 1500uF 40v Snap-in on eBay for $13 total.  I have 4 brand new 12000uF 50v United Chemi-Con main filter caps on order from Mouser, $13 each.  The other small caps are all Vishay/BC from Digikey and came to about $15 total.  Well worth it if you ask me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27888 on: March 23, 2019, 08:10:40 pm »
That’s not bad actually. One thing that puts me off the larger end Hp supplies is having to replace the coke can sized capacitors in them :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27889 on: March 23, 2019, 08:27:07 pm »

Stepper motors from printers are A) not powerful enough (except to move a laser) to do anything useful and 2) always use some idiotic mounting system that does not play well with anything except molded plastic bosses and stamped sheet metal and Ω) almost globally use oddball windings that aren't compatible with any stepper driver that will play nicely with common ardu-based 3DP/CNC controllers.

"Build it rigid, flat and square, THEN add motors & electronics".

Just consider that $250-350 as your tuition; cost of entry. It really is the cheapest way to get into "learning mode" quickly, rather than spending days and weeks in "pulling your hair out" mode. The thing with all of this is that it's all "hobbyist" and "experimental" gear; it's not like a Craftsman table saw that comes with instructions and even a "User Guide" so you have some idea where to start. Most everything requires trawling the web and usergroups to get knowledge, then build your own instruction set that works for YOU.

Please... learn from my mistakes.  :-[ You will save yourself oodles... just oodles... of wasted time, money and aggravation.  :-+

mnem

And if you know all this, just consider my post as a PSA for the next guy who doesn't.  ;)

I wasn't thinking last night for some reason about what I saw when going to the freezer in the garage afterwards... all the free treadmills I picked up and tore down for material to use to make the larger 4'x4' CNC system.  Yeah... I figured... why not use treadmill motors, metal and components since each usually has 2 motors, one for the treadmill and one for the incline.  They come with controllers also.  The motors and controllers work great for mini-lathe upgrades too.

Here's the inspirational video that started me down that path of gym equipment re-purposing for humanity:

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
specialization is for insects.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27891 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:48 pm »

That's true for electronic circuits using semiconductors.

It's not true for electromechanical switches aka relays.  ;)     :popcorn:

It is when the mechanics become stiff, or the contacts damaged,or the coil is damaged, or wiring is damaged.

Or, of course, if you look at the voltages with a scope, particularly during switching.

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27892 on: March 24, 2019, 12:01:21 am »

mnem

And if you know all this, just consider my post as a PSA for the next guy who doesn't.  ;)

Reminds me since I've worked on Coordinate Measuring Systems implementations, validation, method development, etc... I had a vision also of if I find a granite slab/table that I could also make this into a Laser, Touch/Feather Probe and most likely Vision coordinate measuring system too.  Damn... I was slippin into darkness.  Nuts is I just saw a system that can make an awesome bed for the lathe/mill upgrade and the other parts will work as the larger at least 4'x4' CNC system with granite table.  I'll try to get pictures next time I'm there.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #27893 on: March 24, 2019, 12:47:04 am »
It's time -3D printing has arrived (almost) to the lab!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #27894 on: March 24, 2019, 01:02:04 am »
(Or, if all that seems too much research, just get some old HP catalogs and start working your way through them, getting one of everything.)

I was going to say that catalogs are even more dangerous than manuals, but refrained from doing so because just mentioning it is a slippery slope. Too late now! *Swish*

So what is this "one of everything"you speak of. That never works out like that. :-DD

Good point - you want two, in case one breaks.   >:D >:D

-Pat

Edit to add - you don't know slippery slope until you get nearly ALL of the catalogs.  At that point, forget it - you're done for...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:04:20 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27895 on: March 24, 2019, 01:16:27 am »

Stepper motors from printers are A) not powerful enough (except to move a laser) to do anything useful and 2) always use some idiotic mounting system that does not play well with anything except molded plastic bosses and stamped sheet metal and Ω) almost globally use oddball windings that aren't compatible with any stepper driver that will play nicely with common ardu-based 3DP/CNC controllers.

Just consider that $250-350 as your tuition; cost of entry. It really is the cheapest way to get into "learning mode" quickly, rather than spending days and weeks in "pulling your hair out" mode. The thing with all of this is that it's all "hobbyist" and "experimental" gear; it's not like a Craftsman table saw that comes with instructions and even a "User Guide" so you have some idea where to start. Most everything requires trawling the web and usergroups to get knowledge, then build your own instruction set that works for YOU.

Please... learn from my mistakes.  :-[ You will save yourself oodles... just oodles... of wasted time, money and aggravation.  :-+

mnem

I wasn't thinking last night for some reason about what I saw when going to the freezer in the garage afterwards... all the free treadmills I picked up and tore down for material to use to make the larger 4'x4' CNC system.  Yeah... I figured... why not use treadmill motors, metal and components since each usually has 2 motors, one for the treadmill and one for the incline.  They come with controllers also.  The motors and controllers work great for mini-lathe upgrades too.

Here's the inspirational video that started me down that path of gym equipment re-purposing for humanity:

Ummm.... because you need stepper motors. The only thing you can use the treadmill motor for is the router spindle, which you'll spend more making a collet adapter than a whole bolt-on spindle assembly will cost. Unless you already own a machine shop with mill and lathe, which why the eff are we even talking about this?  ;)

And looking at that guy's whole series.... there's literally MONTHS of building there; I say this as someone with considerable experience doing welding for a living, and building stuff JUST LIKE THAT table he made as solenoid-operated fabrication jigs.

Furthermore, yeah he says he spent $300 building that... I suspect he's not counting a lot of stuff. I see easily $150 ($60 claimed is total BS unless he bought it all salvage) in just raw steel, because you don't get to count only what you use, you count ALL the steel you buy for the project.

Then of course add the thousands of dollars of shop he's using to make that $300 CNC table... and you're not looking so cheap at all.

So yeah... start with a kit. Save yourself LOTS of misery. Once you actually know some of what you're doing, THAT is the time to go balls & braces making other stuff work.

mnem

Reminds me since I've worked on Coordinate Measuring Systems implementations, validation, method development, etc... I had a vision also of if I find a granite slab/table that I could also make this into a Laser, Touch/Feather Probe and most likely Vision coordinate measuring system too.  Damn... I was slippin into darkness.  Nuts is I just saw a system that can make an awesome bed for the lathe/mill upgrade and the other parts will work as the larger at least 4'x4' CNC system with granite table.  I'll try to get pictures next time I'm there.

Yeah, for 95% of CNC fab work, that kind of precision just is not necessary. Accurate to hundredths of an inch is plenty; level to within a few mm will get you close enough to be inside the leveling adjustment of any modern system.

8020 build system is effing MAGICAL. I made assembly jigs and conveyors and even jig KITS to be shipped across the country to sites where literally maintenance workers would be assembling it. The best part is that due to its nature, as long as you cut it with the prescribed cutting equipment (the $249 chopsaws from Lowes don't even come close to accurate enough) and jigs, the parts literally square and center themselves up as you draw the bolts down.  :-+

mnem
*couch-tuber time widda family: Mortal Engines*

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:38:28 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27896 on: March 24, 2019, 01:34:54 am »

Great first choice  :-+

Treat the Magnetic bed a bit carefully the surface is fairly soft so set your bed height carefully (err on the high side). I have damaged mine using 0.1mm layers in one spot by dragging the nozzle. Also the Capricorn tube and better fittings is really worthwhile https://www.captubes.com/

A few upgrades I like on mine. Print them in this order while you get it and your slicer settings sorted. In order of Easier to Harder.

Keep your cables nice - because it feels good  ;)

Display cover because exposed electronics are dumb

Bits Tray, great for tools bits etc

Beanflying Ender Teflon lined Filament guide

Improved part cooling duct using stock fans
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27897 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:03 am »

YESSS!  :-+

It has a dragon right on it... it HAS TO kick ass! };=)~~~<

Actually, I toyed with the idea of the Ender myself, even when I was shopping the Tornado. I need the 340mm x 400mm capacity for a few RC projects that are still in the cogitatin' stage. that, and the Tornado's 120V bed are what sold me... though I'm finding it is a mixed blessing with the mirror glass tiles.

Again... 8020/4020 build system FTW!!!  :-+

Oh, yeah... DON'T put the gawddamn filament holder on top of your frame like they show it in the adverts.  :palm:

That just amplifies any ghosting issues you may have.

mnem
*Filamental*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:59:03 am by mnementh »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27898 on: March 24, 2019, 01:52:51 am »
(snip)
Here are some pictures of the insides instead, I do have an untested rectifier bulb to replace the later resistor diode MOD bodge underneath (the serial number is in the range of the last ones to have had a hollow-state rectifier);

That Dale power resistor has seen A LOT of current and looks mighty crispy.  :o I would check that circuit for a partial short or some other reason for the excessive current.

You've spotted part of the MOD bodge then, I think the later 738BR has the resistor (R73) bolted to the chassis for a start. It will get checked next time I work on it, it's listed as 100Ω 20W and drops the voltage same as the original tube rectifier would have done (clearly they didn't want to change the transformer).

David

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #27899 on: March 24, 2019, 01:58:59 am »
Great first choice  :-+

Treat the Magnetic bed a bit carefully the surface is fairly soft so set your bed height carefully (err on the high side). I have damaged mine using 0.1mm layers in one spot by dragging the nozzle. Also the Capricorn tube and better fittings is really worthwhile https://www.captubes.com/

YESSS!  :-+

It has a dragon right on it... it HAS TO kick ass! };=)~~~<

Thanks guys. I went to a friend of a friend's house and he had two of these and two Prusas going! He is making a full size C3PO exoskelaton for a person to fit into and needs parallel print processing.

I've looked at many build videos and will be building it tomorrow. Also noticed that it has some factory improvements since some of the build videos - such as the control electronics enclosure has the fan on the bottom now. All else seems to be of high quality. Should be a fun road ahead!

:-/O
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf