Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16624814 times)

samofab and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #27350 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:54 pm »
geeeeeeze!   no wonder I stuck almost exclusively with hp.

that is a fugly pile o junk!

edit - hope saying that does not make inverted wanna' hunt me down and whoop my fat ass.   but geeeeeeeze!

Almost bought a AC meter from that series once. Specs were really interesting but when I saw what they look liker I changed my mind  :-DD

I guess I'm a superficial person  :)

Not at all. Form and function work together. Poor form makes you not want to function it. :-DD

I'm going to be home alone for a week, incredible. It's going to be freaking TEA time.

There's something particularly heartwarming about that statement. It's like you achieved TEA nirvana (at least for a week).

Go forth and be TEA. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #27351 on: March 17, 2019, 10:09:54 pm »
I have enough counters already, don't I?

:-DD

Is there such a thing?  :-DD

For a non Freq/Ham I am happy with my current five (3 of which were because of Nixie'itis) add to that a couple of fairly capable Arb generators with Freq inputs. That then led to a GPSDO and more recently an RF Generator in the fleet to help keep them in tune and now I am looking at .....  :scared:

For my defense and additional fright, see the counters and sources here: http://web.jlw.com/test.html

I think I've mentioned before that I'm afraid to count counters.  Bought another of the blasted things last week when I was out in CA.  Didnt get a chance to box and ship it yet, but in a brief test with a function generator hijacked from work it appears to be at least fundamentally functional.  It's a Systron-Donner 7034.  Even managed to score a POH on the bay of evil for $6.something shipped.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27352 on: March 17, 2019, 10:13:58 pm »
Nobody hates a kitten.

One pissed in my scope once and then went for my eldest and scratched her face up. She was 1. That was the last cat we ever had. Fuck cats and kittens. Nasty nasty animals. They kill all the wildlife, bring dead stuff into the house and carry nasty diseases like toxoplasma gondii, leave hairs over everything, walk all over your shit while you're in the middle of it and cost a fortune to keep running.

I like my neighbor's cat. She runs over to greet me when I get home from work. I play with her when I'm out working in the yard. I don't have to feed her or take her to the vet. She doesn't climb on my stuff, pee in my ear when I'm sleeping, leave hairballs in the middle of the hall, etc., etc. It is an ideal way to "have" a pet. 8)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27353 on: March 17, 2019, 10:31:39 pm »
my hard working oldie laboratory is proudly presenting

THE PLOTTER MOVIE  ^-^

Please do not watch it by handy when you have to pay for the download data, it requires 1GB. (we love full HD + quality)

http://www.wellenkino.de/video/54601A_7475A.mp4

Thanks, Martin. It's been a long time since I've run a plotter. I have an HP plotter that's very similar to yours, but no knob on the front. Apparently, you can adapt a vinyl cutter knife holder for use as a ballpoint pen holder.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:37:36 pm by bitseeker »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #27354 on: March 17, 2019, 10:44:12 pm »
Nobody hates a kitten.

One pissed in my scope once and then went for my eldest and scratched her face up. She was 1. That was the last cat we ever had. Fuck cats and kittens. Nasty nasty animals. They kill all the wildlife, bring dead stuff into the house and carry nasty diseases like toxoplasma gondii, leave hairs over everything, walk all over your shit while you're in the middle of it and cost a fortune to keep running.

I like my neighbor's cat. She runs over to greet me when I get home from work. I play with her when I'm out working in the yard. I don't have to feed her or take her to the vet. She doesn't climb on my stuff, pee in my ear when I'm sleeping, leave hairballs in the middle of the hall, etc., etc. It is an ideal way to "have" a pet. 8)

I like my neighbor's kids for analogous reasons.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27355 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
Yep, that works, too.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27356 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:10 pm »
My neighbours cat shit in my vegetable patch until I dusted the whole thing with an industrial quantity of chilli powder from the local Indian corner shop.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #27357 on: March 17, 2019, 11:10:24 pm »
Cats lower blood pressure and reduce the chances of having a stroke and generally have a calming effect on people, especially the ill and old. I love my two and just like people, their trust has to be earned.

The 2 that belong to the stepdaughter, climb all over everything and knock stuff onto the floor.  They lick themselves on the dining room table and kitchen counters where food goes.  One constantly yowls for attention.   Can't wait for the day the stepdaughter and her family vacate our house since she will be taking the cats with her.

My dogs lower my blood pressure and provide the calming effect.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27358 on: March 18, 2019, 12:34:44 am »
The result after several evening's work?

... soon to be seen again as part of the back-to-the-future zeitgeist.

Edit 2: also a minor flashback. We used to steal stacks of electronic components from the college stock room. They knew, to the point one of the tutors said he did and that he'd face the other way and read his newspaper while we helped ourselves, because it kept their budget for tech department allocated 8)

That was very explicitly SOP at HP.

One of the Bill 'n' Dave stories used to instill the HP Way at new sites involved Bill. He came in one weekend to do some work in the lab, and found a padlock and chain on the stores. He removed it with a boltcutter and left a note requesting that the stores not be locked in future.

The fundamental point was that Bill and Dave wanted a company where the employees were trusted and trustworthy - a classic Theory Y company. In this case they explicitly allowed employees unlimited access to the store cupboard, and trusted they would not abuse that. The attitude was that using company property for "home office" projects was fine, since they would enjoy it and might just do something that would benefit HP.

The net result was beautifully summed up in http://www.satirewire.com/news/0105/loyal.shtml which went around the company usenet like wildfire during one of Princess Fiorina's purges.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27359 on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:53 am »
The result after several evening's work?

... soon to be seen again as part of the back-to-the-future zeitgeist.

And yet so Stolen from us Aussies ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_was_here

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27360 on: March 18, 2019, 01:23:51 am »
Wow, 5 more pages and its another 100 chalked up, this thread is a living thing these days  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27361 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:05 am »
Yeah, it's a veritable forum all on its own.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27362 on: March 18, 2019, 02:49:52 am »
Yeah, it's a veritable forum all on its own.  :popcorn:
It can be very entertaining and enlightening to, long may it continue this way. It has I believe the right balance / mix of general chatter and TEA related content. It feels like it would if it were a real club where members had to visit it to participate and they would chat about many topics besides electronics[emoji4]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27363 on: March 18, 2019, 03:08:22 am »
Yeah, now if we only had teleporters to facilitate meetups across such distances in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe someday (not that I want my atoms broken down and reconstituted, come to think of it).

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #27364 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:13 am »
It's the best megathread I've ever seen.  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27365 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:21 am »
A thread is only as good as its participants. ;) So, kudos to us all. Long live TEA. :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27366 on: March 18, 2019, 03:14:43 am »
It would be fun to have a meetup, but picking a convenient place for everyone...not easy...and international travel is expensive and sucks down funds that could go for more TEA.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27367 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:18 am »
Yeah, now if we only had teleporters to facilitate meetups across such distances in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe someday (not that I want my atoms broken down and reconstituted, come to think of it).

What could go wrong  ::) Elon will make it possible and safe for a fiver when he gets Earth to Earth rockets operating as 'proposed' :-DD
https://youtu.be/nW-NiGp1gys

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27368 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:25 am »
It would be fun to have a meetup, but picking a convenient place for everyone...not easy...and international travel is expensive and sucks down funds that could go for more TEA.  :-DD
If I have to pick between a new multimeter and you lot you know the answer. ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #27369 on: March 18, 2019, 03:17:02 am »
my hard working oldie laboratory is proudly presenting

THE PLOTTER MOVIE  ^-^

Please do not watch it by handy when you have to pay for the download data, it requires 1GB. (we love full HD + quality)

http://www.wellenkino.de/video/54601A_7475A.mp4

greetings
Martin

That is positively delicious. One doesn't usually think "organic" when talking about printers, but plotters are the exception that proves the rule. I love 'em in all their incarnations.

Well played!  :-+

Nobody hates a kitten.

I like my neighbor's kids for analogous reasons.  ;D

I'll bring mine over to your house and they can all have a play date.  :-DD

mnem
"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27370 on: March 18, 2019, 03:21:07 am »
If I have to pick between a new multimeter and you lot you know the answer. ;D

:-DD

I expect nothing less  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #27371 on: March 18, 2019, 03:23:07 am »
Subject: "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I completely agree with and endorse this general rule. But like every rule there are exceptions. IMHO here are 2 exceptions....

The Tek 2445/2465/2467 PSU. Due to it's design troubleshooting this PSU in place is a near impossible task. And to troubleshoot it outside the case would require an extensive array of load resistors. I think it's prudent to do a complete re-cap of both the Inverter/Regulator boards as insurance against failure. It's a lot of capacitors and it's time consuming. But the results are worth it. I've done it twice now and in both cases the operation was successful and the patient lived.

Tek 4XX beaded tantalum capacitors. I agree with mnem. They are the devil and kill kittens. In my limited experience with these scopes I've had 3 short and 1 explode. As a result I give them no quarter. They have to go. Tomorrow I will start on the newly acquired 475A despite the fact that it works perfectly. I want to have some assurance and confidence that it will continue to do so.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27372 on: March 18, 2019, 03:24:35 am »

What could go wrong  ::) Elon will make it possible and safe for a fiver when he gets Earth to Earth rockets operating as 'proposed' :-DD
https://youtu.be/nW-NiGp1gys

I agree with McCoy... unless you can separate out all the lipid cells and put me back together allright widdout 'em, not the least bit interested in having my atoms scattered across the void. Also, GQ and just enough brandy to get giggly is still one of my "guilty pleasures". ;)

mnem
Also Spaceballs.  :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27373 on: March 18, 2019, 03:27:46 am »

I agree with McCoy... unless you can separate out all the lipid cells and put me back together allright widdout 'em, not the least bit interested in having my atoms scattered across the void. Also, GQ and just enough brandy to get giggly is still one of my "guilty pleasures". ;)

mnem
Also Spaceballs.  :P

Not forgetting Ice Pirates just don't catch Space Herpes while watching :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27374 on: March 18, 2019, 03:51:31 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132795146843

Here's one for you calcnutters...  >:D

mnem
"Can you link me the MAN pages on that?"  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf