Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16636729 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26575 on: March 04, 2019, 10:37:03 pm »
This IS fleaBayer "humans" we're talking about, bd... that shouldn't be too hard.  :-DD

mnem
Amazing how often the Lowest Common Denominator is people; not surprising, but amazing.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #26576 on: March 04, 2019, 10:58:45 pm »
Welp, my pre-move boat anchor avoidance has failed. Got a very nice HP 8566A coming at the end of the week, as well as a bunch of assorted parts that will be useful for repairs on these instruments. Pictures, of course, will be forthcoming when I receive it.  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26577 on: March 04, 2019, 11:13:06 pm »
Well all is not great in the house of panaplex today unfortunately.  :--

As I can't imagine that you bought this piece of antique to do your tax calculations I guess you bought it for the displays and you still scored 2 out of 3.
I must be wrong but where?

Panaplex displays are just... right. They are visible, pleasant, restful, enticing in the way other display's aren't. Once seen, never forgotten.

Possible excepton: the 1970s HP "dotted" seven segment LEDs.

In other news, yesterday's GAS was yet another 465, this one with intact feet, two nibs on the cover, and it basically works. OK, some of CH1's ranges are peaky/touchy, and the trigger only works for >0.5 divisions, and some pots are scratchy, but with luck those should be fixable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:17:31 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26578 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:03 pm »
(SNIP)

In other news, yesterday's GAS was yet another 465, this one with intact feet, two nibs on the cover, and it basically works. OK, some of CH1's ranges are peaky/touchy, and the trigger only works for >0.5 divisions, and some pots are scratchy, but with luck those should be fixable...

Famous last words...  :-DD

mnem
Best of luck, brother. See you on the other side. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26579 on: March 05, 2019, 12:33:28 am »
On a positive Note for me I found a 'spare' 5kg postbag to send @Brumby a handful of RF connectors and a few M of co-ax. cable and a few Beans. What else did I fit in under the weight :-DD  >:D

This only just sank in.  WTF are you sending me?

Feels like Bean the Enabler is in a groove .... and that I should be worried.  :scared:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26580 on: March 05, 2019, 12:53:04 am »
This only just sank in.  WTF are you sending me?

Feels like Bean the Enabler is in a groove .... and that I should be worried.  :scared:

My Junk is now your Junk
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26581 on: March 05, 2019, 12:59:39 am »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26582 on: March 05, 2019, 01:03:49 am »
Bean the Enabler

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26583 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:09 am »
Oh oh...   I just caught myself looking through eBay for GPSDOs.   :palm:

Bean - what hell hath thou brought me?!!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26584 on: March 05, 2019, 03:28:00 am »
I can't believe I'm going to ask this ....

Oh oh...   I just caught myself looking through eBay for GPSDOs.   :palm:

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looking for something low cost with a 10MHz output.  Signal shouldn't be a problem.  Within a minute of turning on the GPS of my Galaxy S5 while just sitting at my desk, it can see around 18 to 22 satellites at any moment and can use 15 to 19 of them.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26585 on: March 05, 2019, 03:48:24 am »
Really depends on what you need out of it.

If it is in the order of Sanity checking other oscillators or a are in the ballpark or a plaything then the UBlox route is not to bad. My plaything is below and is an M8N Ublox driven by an FTDI/USB. Ublox software works well, just watch which one you buy not all are created equal. As to accuracy I have never put it up against my better GPSDO but it is a fun toy to play with. The waveform only works best at certain multiples of the internal clock otherwise it gets noisy.

Want something semi serious then the it is all about the Oscillator generally second hand inside a Chinese addon box. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bg7tbl-gpsdo-master-reference/ Worth a trawl through as it exposes some to avoid. A reasonably safe bet is anything Symmetricom or Trimble based and preferably make sure there is some shots of the internals to compare it against the thread. Strangely enough not all evilbay sellers are honest  :horse: ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26586 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:54 am »

Current source of interest in getting my hands on a GPSDO with 10MHz output is to check my 8656 time base oscillators - both the standard and the 001 high stability one.

Comparison by either Lissajous figure or mixing them and checking beat frequency.  Neither of these are going to give me high/low indications, but will (hopefully) allow me to determine the absolute value of any error.

Since I'm not really tuned up on RF thinking, comments and alternative suggestions are welcome.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26587 on: March 05, 2019, 04:27:03 am »
TEAcquired: an old, broken, analog HP power meter. Why? Feet, of course! :-DD (The knobs may come in handy later, too.)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26588 on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:00 am »
TEAcquired: an old, broken, analog HP power meter. Why? Feet, of course! :-DD (The knobs may come in handy later, too.)

I found a seller on ebay that sells HP feet by the bag of 16. Pretty reasonable price and the bag I got appears to be new and unused.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26589 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:31 am »
I found a seller on ebay that sells HP feet by the bag of 16. Pretty reasonable price and the bag I got appears to be new and unused.

Yeah I did the same thing  :palm:

But I'm afraid it will just encourage them to always sell the feet separately.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26590 on: March 05, 2019, 05:00:51 am »
Next, there'll be foot rationing. :scared:

My 6114A needed the older bar-style feet, which rarely come up on their own. So, I've resorted to pulling a Dr. Frankenstein.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26591 on: March 05, 2019, 05:03:21 am »

Current source of interest in getting my hands on a GPSDO with 10MHz output is to check my 8656 time base oscillators - both the standard and the 001 high stability one.

Comparison by either Lissajous figure or mixing them and checking beat frequency.  Neither of these are going to give me high/low indications, but will (hopefully) allow me to determine the absolute value of any error.

Since I'm not really tuned up on RF thinking, comments and alternative suggestions are welcome.

Bg7tbl gpsdo is working fine. For the price it's hard to beat. Think I paid mine less than 100$. Even came with an antenna.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26592 on: March 05, 2019, 06:27:27 am »

Yeah I did the same thing  :palm:

But I'm afraid it will just encourage them to always sell the feet separately.

I just wanted a decent supply of extras around, probably won't buy any more for a long time if ever. I've been mostly lucky to get HP stuff that still has feet so far...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26593 on: March 05, 2019, 09:17:23 am »

If you're referring to the guy I'm thinking of (in NJ IIRC), he's selling new feet.  Unfortunately for those of us here who get the 60s/70s era 'system' enclosure gear, they're not compatible - they're NEW new feet.  They are all plastic and fit the stuff from around the 80s and up.  Most of us are looking for the old school black feet that have the spring-loaded chrome plated locking button.  THOSE are only slightly more common than hen's teeth, and the wide ones used on the smaller half- and third- rack sized  enclosures are well and truly unicorn like in their rarity.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26594 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:25 am »
There's someone sitting there in an armchair somewhere in the world with a big grin and a necklace made of HP feet.

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26595 on: March 05, 2019, 10:29:49 am »

If you're referring to the guy I'm thinking of (in NJ IIRC), he's selling new feet.  Unfortunately for those of us here who get the 60s/70s era 'system' enclosure gear, they're not compatible - they're NEW new feet.  They are all plastic and fit the stuff from around the 80s and up.  Most of us are looking for the old school black feet that have the spring-loaded chrome plated locking button.  THOSE are only slightly more common than hen's teeth, and the wide ones used on the smaller half- and third- rack sized  enclosures are well and truly unicorn like in their rarity.

-Pat

Bought a whole box of new feet with bails (Total 100) from evilbay few months ago. Never shortage of feet  :-DD But yes, they are the post 80s feet.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26596 on: March 05, 2019, 10:32:27 am »
Looks like a GPSDO is not in the budget just yet.

Does anyone have some creative ideas on how to check 10MHz sine waves to some level of accuracy?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26597 on: March 05, 2019, 11:01:07 am »
I have a bit of time tomorrow so I will drop the M8N (TCXO) against my GPSDO and see how it looks. There was some threads using one of these to discipline an external oscillator if you have a search and there is some information on the Ublox datasheets too from what I remember.

I wanted to have another look at it for something else anyway so a good excuse  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:06:21 am by beanflying »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26598 on: March 05, 2019, 11:07:55 am »
Looks like a GPSDO is not in the budget just yet.

Does anyone have some creative ideas on how to check 10MHz sine waves to some level of accuracy?

Before we had al this modern stuff it used to be WWV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_(radio_station)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26599 on: March 05, 2019, 11:53:15 am »
In Australia, we had VNG - but that all shut down in 2002.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf