Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16638412 times)

flash2b, Runco990 and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26525 on: March 03, 2019, 06:28:50 pm »
Non TEA related but impressive Tripod/Camera stability and well Planes for those with 'other' addictions and sort of related to other conversations in the last few weeks. Avalon Airshow in Melbourne is/has been on over the last few days.

Wow, that sure is a good airshow with the firework finale, we don't get that over here, they can't wait to kick you off the base at the end of the show. Thanks for posting this bean :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26526 on: March 03, 2019, 07:04:04 pm »
Rely on other people/things and it always seems to turn into a freaking fire drill.  :palm:

Fire drill 1: Meeting my Brother tomorrow noon at a truck stop on I-87 at the NY/NJ border to hand over the 475A and 2430 He brought up from North Carolina. He's getting cold feet because of the snow storm tonight. I keep telling him to calm down.  :scared: The storm is supposed to be done by 4 - 5 AM Monday morning. By noon Monday the roads will be clear. 

Fire drill 2: So much for 2 day shipping from Amazon. I have 2 separate orders (non TEA) that went to a USPS distribution center in NJ yesterday afternoon and are STILL there. Were supposed to be delivered today. It's currently sunny and clear here and in NJ.  :wtf:

Fire drill 3: This one is real touchy. Ebay ordered a Tek 7B70 plug-in Thursday. As of Saturday it still hadn't shipped. I send a friendly inquiry to seller asking him what's up. I get a response from the seller stating that he was sorry and his daughter is in the hospital with cancer. OK, I understand and am sensitive to this. Family first. But no indication as to when it WOULD ship. So as of right now I'm leaving this alone but I'm wondering how long SHOULD I wait before releasing the hounds such as having EBay asking him what's up or cancelling the order.  :-//   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26527 on: March 03, 2019, 07:11:24 pm »
Fire drill 3: This one is real touchy. Ebay ordered a Tek 7B70 plug-in Thursday. As of Saturday it still hadn't shipped. I send a friendly inquiry to seller asking him what's up. I get a response from the seller stating that he was sorry and his daughter is in the hospital with cancer. OK, I understand and am sensitive to this. Family first. But no indication as to when it WOULD ship. So as of right now I'm leaving this alone but I'm wondering how long SHOULD I wait before releasing the hounds such as having EBay asking him what's up or cancelling the order.  :-//   

I would say wait at least a week. Then send him a message and ask to cancel the order. I would open a case after 2 weeks. I know couples of seller on ebay that always ship after almost a week. They have usually good deals so i'm not complaining  :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26528 on: March 03, 2019, 07:11:38 pm »
Ha...just got an e-mail from Amazon. "Your packages will be delayed". No shit Sherlock!  :rant: |O :horse:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26529 on: March 03, 2019, 07:14:58 pm »

I would say wait at least a week. Then send him a message and ask to cancel the order. I would open a case after 2 weeks. I know couples of seller on ebay that always ship after almost a week. They have usually good deals so i'm not complaining  :)

Yea, this one was a good deal too. $25 USD and sez it works fine. And free shipping. I guess I'll wait it out. It's all the other fire drills that have got my panties twisted in a knot.  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26530 on: March 03, 2019, 07:50:48 pm »

Quiet as a mouse here with just the old cat sorting out the new pup. Taken her a month to get some brave pills down her but now she's got the pup backing up with a growl and a hiss.  :-DD
Fun to watch.  :)

My former spouse had a HUGE old tom and then she decided to have a dog (Shar-Pei). The latter I did come to know - he had quite distinctive 'nose art'. When, years later and us being divorced for a time, she send me pictures of her new dog (another Shar-Pei), I could only respond 'something is missing'.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #26531 on: March 03, 2019, 08:10:22 pm »
I can't help bu wonder if anyone was try that and win it, if the seller couldn't at a later point in the transaction refuse to go with it claiming that they too saw in on their phone and missed the decimal point?

Maybe.. but a sale is a sale. And even if Ebay wouldn't enforce it you'd still get a percentage of people that would think it would be the honorable thing to do or Ebay would not allow you to back out. It's a numbers game and you don't need big percentages to make a decent amount.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26532 on: March 03, 2019, 08:15:35 pm »
I can't help bu wonder if anyone was try that and win it, if the seller couldn't at a later point in the transaction refuse to go with it claiming that they too saw in on their phone and missed the decimal point?

Maybe.. but a sale is a sale. And even if Ebay wouldn't enforce it you'd still get a percentage of people that would think it would be the honorable thing to do or Ebay would not allow you to back out. It's a numbers game and you don't need big percentages to make a decent amount.
I'm not convinced, all the seller has to do is say that he dropped and its now broken and not for sale and then he can relist it later.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26533 on: March 03, 2019, 08:22:26 pm »
Have done that before  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26534 on: March 04, 2019, 12:15:52 am »
Good Morning TEA Shack Temperature and measurement 'normality' has returned 11am and just breaking 20C after some baking. After seven days I am calling the Fluke rock solid and stable. Tweakage when the Agilents get back from their Cal.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26535 on: March 04, 2019, 12:22:28 am »
Good Morning TEA Shack Temperature and measurement 'normality' has returned 11am and just breaking 20C after some baking. After seven days I am calling the Fluke rock solid and stable. Tweakage when the Agilents get back from their Cal.
You have more trust in your abilities to not leak coffee all over your equipment than I have in myself. Murphy tends to get me there.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26536 on: March 04, 2019, 12:41:58 am »
It was my 'second' Coffee doing it as a first would be Blindfolded Trapeze without a net over a snake pit territory.  ;) Bean Roasting day after the stupid temps and get @Brumby's care package in the mail.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26537 on: March 04, 2019, 02:04:43 am »
This morning we made the fateful trip to the vet for one little pup with a spirit that will outlive the universe, but with a body that has endured so much.  We all keep saying she is in a better place and free of the physical inflictions she faced every day ... but nobody feels convinced of this.

It is a crap day.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, beanflying

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26538 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:19 am »
This morning we made the fateful trip to the vet for one little pup with a spirit that will outlive the universe, but with a body that has endured so much.  We all keep saying she is in a better place and free of the physical inflictions she faced every day ... but nobody feels convinced of this.

It is a crap day.
And yet the burden and stress on you and friends has been lifted.
Have a treble nip for the dog tonight and sleep with knowing you've done the right thing.

Been there, done that and got the certificate for it.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26539 on: March 04, 2019, 04:34:06 am »

It is a crap day.

They always leave us far too soon.  She'll be waiting in good company on the far side of the bridge for you.  In the mean time, keep her with you in your thoughts and heart, and she'll always be around.

My condolences for your loss.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26540 on: March 04, 2019, 05:08:17 am »

I'm not convinced, all the seller has to do is say that he dropped and its now broken and not for sale and then he can relist it later.

Even simpler, the seller isn't bound to the same terms as the buyer:

Quote from: eBay
You can cancel a transaction up to 30 days after a sale, even if your buyer has already paid.

Of course, a seller who does that too often will get a bad rating, but they can do it:

Quote from: eBay
If you cancel a transaction, it is considered a transaction defect and could affect your seller performance level. However, a buyer-requested cancellation does not affect your seller performance.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26541 on: March 04, 2019, 05:10:12 am »

It is a crap day.

Oh, no! Sorry to hear that, Brumby. A crap day, indeed. :(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26542 on: March 04, 2019, 05:13:48 am »
"Engine in(di)gestion," today on the TEA daily sidebar...

I KNEW you'd get it!  :-DD

I'm on a roll! :-DD

The better part of the TEA thread, as others have stated, is the fact you never know WHAT flavor of "full frontal nerdity" will be the morning's topic of discussion.

I think that's what makes this such a great hangout.  :-+

Yep, the daily sidebar has become a TEA meme (TEAme?).

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #26543 on: March 04, 2019, 06:04:01 am »

It is a crap day.

Condolences, a big hole in your heart .
Not easily sidestepped.
 Regards Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26544 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:20 am »

It is a crap day.

Call it a happy and very sad day. The sadness will ease and the good stuff tends to stay.

On a positive Note for me I found a 'spare' 5kg postbag to send @Brumby a handful of RF connectors and a few M of co-ax. cable and a few Beans. What else did I fit in under the weight :-DD  >:D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26545 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:58 am »

It is a crap day.

I still remember one of those 40 years ago. But I am, and always have been, content with my decision.

My perspective is that I regret that it probably will not be possible for people to be as kind to me.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26546 on: March 04, 2019, 10:29:01 am »

It is a crap day.

Call it a happy and very sad day. The sadness will ease and the good stuff tends to stay.

It will be a while before we will see the kindness in today.

On a positive Note for me I found a 'spare' 5kg postbag to send @Brumby a handful of RF connectors and a few M of co-ax. cable and a few Beans. What else did I fit in under the weight :-DD  >:D
If you really want to score bonus points - the in-laws have a Breville double boiler espresso machine....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26547 on: March 04, 2019, 10:30:52 am »
@Brumby: my thoughts go out to you and your family. Never an easy time but it's the right thing to do in the circumstances.

@tggzzz: totally agree. My life insurance policy won't pay out if I take this into my own hands. A fine example of how screwed up the world is.

Busy Monday so far for TEA subject matter. After a rather too long lull, I received one new shiny Rigol AWG, dispatched one AWG, expecting racal counter, two panaplex display calculators, a couple of RF books, some WG16 waveguide and some amphenol clamp on RG58 plugs  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26548 on: March 04, 2019, 10:51:43 am »
If you really want to score bonus points - the in-laws have a Breville double boiler espresso machine....

Unfortunately my 'spare' espresso machines and grinders would break the 5kg by a touch ;) So long as they keep the Calcium at bay in the Breville they aren't horrid for a consumer product.

I trust you own a heat gun?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26549 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:28 am »
I have the classic hardware store high/low power heat gun, a hot air station and a couple of small butane powered options.  Will that cover the requirements?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf