Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16639692 times)

Messtechniker, Vince, klab and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26500 on: March 03, 2019, 04:46:54 am »
C-17 Oopsy and they worry about 'potential' or imaginary Drone strikes as being a huge threat to GA.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26501 on: March 03, 2019, 05:02:50 am »
Yeah, but those birds aren't carrying 4-8 20-100 gram slugs of steel, aluminum and super-hard rare-earth magnets, or 100-2000 grams of pyrokinetic electrolyte. A proper drone has those, plus another 0.5-5kg of assorted aluminum/carbon-fiber plates and tubes and ferrous hardware.

Also, look for the video of a different scenario when they shoot a frozen turkey through one of those engines. I can't find it now, but it was... enheavying. :scared:

mnem
"Can you say 'Shrapnel Radius', boys and girls?"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:06:12 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26502 on: March 03, 2019, 05:11:53 am »
The difference is one is 'potential' and possibly imagined and one is a reasonably frequent occurrence in nature already. Drone risk is overstated and like bullets only dangerous with a dumbass or someone with intent behind the trigger.

The Frozen Chook it sort of an urban legend but it did apparently happen with an inexperienced operator on a bird strike test gun forgetting or not knowing to thaw out a carcass before using :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26503 on: March 03, 2019, 05:16:55 am »
Yeah, but those birds aren't carrying 4-8 20-100 gram slugs of steel, aluminum and super-hard rare-earth magnets, or 100-2000 grams of pyrokinetic electrolyte. A proper drone has those, plus another 0.5-5kg of assorted aluminum/carbon-fiber plates and tubes and ferrous hardware.

Also, look for the video of a different scenario when they shoot a frozen turkey through one of those engines. I can't find it now, but it was... enheavying. :scared:

mnem
"Can you say 'Shrapnel Radius', boys and girls?"

Soft bodies can transfer energy more effectively than hard ones. So far we haven't seen any real strikes.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26504 on: March 03, 2019, 05:59:22 am »
Dual bird strike, lost both engines.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26505 on: March 03, 2019, 06:13:36 am »
Dual bird strike, lost both engines.

It's likely a fair number of birds were ingested in both engines, which means a substantial amount of mass ended up in them.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26506 on: March 03, 2019, 06:19:27 am »
Very lucky and well done by all concerned. Perhaps the engines ingested something soft like a Flock of Seagulls and for no good reason other than my mind went there. All that Hair product would be a real risk in a Turbine ;)

Nightclubbing tunes of my Youth

https://youtu.be/iIpfWORQWhU

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26507 on: March 03, 2019, 06:36:56 am »
It was reported to be a flock of geese.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26508 on: March 03, 2019, 06:51:46 am »
Yep, doesn't matter how many were swallowed....the fires went out which means bits of them after being sliced and diced by the turbofan went through into the core of the turbine engines and that's never gunna end well.

Things in there are high RPM and close toleranced and when you see the guts of a turbine, quite fragile too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26509 on: March 03, 2019, 07:21:27 am »
Name that Cocktail Gin, Lemon and a slug of Sugar? Yes the shack is out of Tonic so improvising tonight's bench clean up tipple with a High Volume 80's neighbour unfriendly play list blaring.  ;D

Very Pleasant 18C.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26510 on: March 03, 2019, 07:35:02 am »
Name that Cocktail Gin, Lemon and a slug of Sugar? Yes the shack is out of Tonic so improvising tonight's bench clean up tipple with a High Volume 80's neighbour unfriendly play list blaring.  ;D
Just looking to do similar but seems we're out of Coke to go with the rum or bourbon.  ::)
Got some RTD's somewhere so they might have to do for the nightcap.

Quiet as a mouse here with just the old cat sorting out the new pup. Taken her a month to get some brave pills down her but now she's got the pup backing up with a growl and a hiss.  :-DD
Fun to watch.  :)

Very Pleasant 18C.
Touch cooler here with a very nice for sleeping 12 or 13C overnight forecast.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26511 on: March 03, 2019, 07:52:42 am »
Yep, doesn't matter how many were swallowed....the fires went out which means bits of them after being sliced and diced by the turbofan went through into the core of the turbine engines and that's never gunna end well.

Things in there are high RPM and close toleranced and when you see the guts of a turbine, quite fragile too.
Jet engines are designed to ingest significant amounts of water or ice without it being a problem. Just the mass of the water it can handle it is impressive. You need a fair amount of junk thrown in there to make a difference.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26512 on: March 03, 2019, 08:11:12 am »
That's a turbo-fan bypass engine and the vast majority of the water would go through the bypass. If it were a jet engine with no bypass the results would be quite different. At very minimum a flame out. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26513 on: March 03, 2019, 08:25:14 am »
That's a turbo-fan bypass engine and the vast majority of the water would go through the bypass. If it were a jet engine with no bypass the results would be quite different. At very minimum a flame out.
Correct and we must understand the different types, Turboprop, Turbofan and jet, they all have a jet engine core but the jet doesn't have a gearbox in which to drive a fan or prop.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26514 on: March 03, 2019, 08:37:20 am »
"Engine in(di)gestion," today on the TEA daily sidebar...
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26515 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:09 am »

Can be cured by a third Gin Sour like most ailments  >:D

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26516 on: March 03, 2019, 08:44:30 am »
And a fourth can relight the ignition ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26517 on: March 03, 2019, 08:47:04 am »
Just keeping the Scurvy at bay  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26518 on: March 03, 2019, 11:11:59 am »
FFS ebay is pissing me off. If you list on the app it turns offers on after a week.

So this morning I've got something listed for £280 BIN or GTFO and I get an offer for £182. Nope. Would rather keep it.

Really need a poo emoji on this forum.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #26519 on: March 03, 2019, 01:23:36 pm »
FFS ebay is pissing me off. If you list on the app it turns offers on after a week.

So this morning I've got something listed for £280 BIN or GTFO and I get an offer for £182. Nope. Would rather keep it.

I had a bot visiting my ebay shop frequently some time ago. I'd have an item listed for, say, 750€ and they would offer 7.30€

Thing is, if you're in a rush and look at it on your cell phone you see 730€ (wishfull thinking is  a powerfull thing...). Never fell for it but I can imagine that if they try that 10 000 times some fool must fall for it. And it doesn't take a lot of fools to make a nice profit. And technically, they're not doing anything wrong or illegal either...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26520 on: March 03, 2019, 01:30:53 pm »

Their only doing what you do when you go for something, just after a better price thats all. Change the listing from BIN or best offer to just BIN and hold your nerve, I'll reckon you'll get it for the name alone.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26521 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:47 pm »
I counter offered 250 which is what I was expecting. Now I can’t change it at all until the offer expires. Total PITA.

@Ice-tea: that’s a pretty nasty trick actually. 1 in 100 hits for that would be a win.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26522 on: March 03, 2019, 02:21:31 pm »
I can't help bu wonder if anyone was try that and win it, if the seller couldn't at a later point in the transaction refuse to go with it claiming that they too saw in on their phone and missed the decimal point?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26523 on: March 03, 2019, 03:00:27 pm »
The difference is one is 'potential' and possibly imagined and one is a reasonably frequent occurrence in nature already. Drone risk is overstated and like bullets only dangerous with a dumbass or someone with intent behind the trigger.

The Frozen Chook it is sort of an urban legend but it did apparently happen with an inexperienced operator on a bird strike test gun forgetting or not knowing to thaw out a carcass before using :-DD

We-e-e-elll.... that's the problem in a nutshell. There's a HUGE difference between "drone operator", "multirotor pilot" or "quad racer" vs "dumbass with a drone" or "ne'er-do-well with a multirotor" "or terrorist with a UAV".

When it comes to air traffic safety, they HAVE to treat ANY "UAV in a controlled airspace" as if it WERE a "terrorist with a UAV". I understand, respect and support that POV ENTIRELY. They have NO WAY of knowing until well after the fact if the craft in question is the ubiquitous $20 toy (Yes, they are that cheap now... I bought one this Christmas just to see what it was like. It's a cheap toy, but it flies well and has a 7-9 minute runtime) that is incapable of carrying any useful payload or a $300 kit that can carry 2Kg of C4 several miles away from the operator.

The regulation of "multirotor pilots" is another can of worms altogether, and entirely political in nature. Politicians and the corporations who own them are scared sheepless of the idea of thousands of privately-owned "eyes in the skies" documenting every payoff, bit of skullduggery or outright illegal activity being committed in public spaces. If you need proof of that, just look at the history of TX HB912; where instead of fining the shit out of Columbia Packing for illegally dumping enough raw pig's blood to turn a river red for miles, they fabricated a lawsuit against the AP drone operator and passed utterly unconstitutional laws which outlaw pretty much every aspect of model aviation. Under the idiotic wording of this insane law, even the RC Radio link used to fly a model aircraft is technically illegal.   :palm:

If it were just "drone operators", "multirotor pilots" and "quad racers" we have to worry about, the FAA would NEVER have gotten involved.

Yes, the accidental frozen turkey was on a windshield test, however. That DID evidently give some engineers some ideas later on down the road; and there was a video circulating 10 years or so ago, supposedly an engineering test, of a frozen turkey shot at a multistage turbine jet engine. Of course, this is the internet we're talking about. Anything seen here has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Like you having this conversation with a retired mechanic-engineer-tinkerdwagon at oh-dark-hundred in the AM. ;)

Very lucky and well done by all concerned. Perhaps the engines ingested something soft like a Flock of Seagulls and for no good reason other than my mind went there. All that Hair product would be a real risk in a Turbine ;)

Nightclubbing tunes of my Youth

https://youtu.be/iIpfWORQWhU

*Cackles out loud*

I remember seeing them live in a club on the Nautica (night club strip in Cleveland, Ohio) when I was a senseless teenager. They were even wetter IRL than on video.  :-DD

Yes, this. 1000x THIS. That is the "how & why" behind my original statement on this subject that started all this discussion.  :palm:

A modern jet engine's compressor is made of dozens of individual blades, individually balanced and bolted together into a rotating mass spinning at 10-20K RPM. As dangerous as impact is the effect of imbalance on that rotating mass, which will cause the engine to tear itself apart. At those speeds, the moment-angle of a loosed turbine blade fragment imparts terrifying kinetic energy on that projectile.

I KNEW you'd get it!  :-DD

The better part of the TEA thread, as others have stated, is the fact you never know WHAT flavor of "full frontal nerdity" will be the morning's topic of discussion.

I think that's what makes this such a great hangout.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:00:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26524 on: March 03, 2019, 03:14:18 pm »
From the "Even Paranoids Have Enemies" Dept...

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/19/03/03/053253/massive-database-leak-exposes-chinas-digital-surveillance-state

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/03/massive-database-leak-gives-us-window-chinas-digital-surveillance-state

Yeah... you think it can't happen HERE? THIS is what the "Carnivore" project was trying to do. Yes, it's supposedly "dead". But such things do NOT die; they EVOLVE.

What's even more frightening is not just the depth of the surveillance data, but just how much of the core infrastructure is utterly exposed. This should make you think twice about our own infrastructure.

mnem
I know you're listening.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:02:01 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf