Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16637696 times)

Vince and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26325 on: February 28, 2019, 06:47:06 am »
It is confirmed ... I am not equipped for RF.

After a thorough search of all my hoarding, I cannot find a single foot of 50 ohm coax, terminated or not.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26326 on: February 28, 2019, 08:44:32 am »
It is confirmed ... I am not equipped for RF.

After a thorough search of all my hoarding, I cannot find a single foot of 50 ohm coax, terminated or not.

Did you sort out that 7000 (forgotten the number and I am into a 4th beer  ;D ) for the little HP Frequency counter in the end?

If not I can sort you out a care package of SMA connectors I have a little quantity of (handed out a few in the other freebie packs) and some older 50 Ohm Cable I don't need. Can also add in a bit of an SMA adapter assortment with a Tee and a 50 ohm load at least.

Postage only because I need to spread the excess to others excess $10 pesos if I fall under the bench should do it  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26327 on: February 28, 2019, 11:32:29 am »
Funds sent.

Hey....  Wha.... ??

:palm:

You've got me slipping deeper down the rabbit hole.  That was too easy.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26328 on: February 28, 2019, 11:45:31 am »
7404? Just doing what I can to enable your descent and it has a smooth trajectory  >:D

Whats your coffee brew method of choice and do you own a grinder? I will add a small baggy of SHMBO tamer  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:47:02 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26329 on: February 28, 2019, 11:50:53 am »
Did you sort out that 7000 (forgotten the number and I am into a 4th beer  ;D ) for the little HP Frequency counter in the end?

The 5381A?  Set aside while the 8656 occupies front and centre.  I'm not so sure the 7404 is the culprit as first suspected and I started a closer examination which was suspended with the new arrival.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26330 on: February 28, 2019, 11:59:21 am »
7404? Just doing what I can to enable your descent and it has a smooth trajectory  >:D
You do it too well.

Whats your coffee brew method of choice and do you own a grinder? I will add a small baggy of SHMBO tamer  ;D
I believe there is a dripolator and a percolator somewhere - but the plunger seems to be the one that can be located.  There is a grinder in the house.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26331 on: February 28, 2019, 12:14:10 pm »
Will make it whole beans then fresh roasted tomorrow so it will be right from mid to late next week. Roasted for Plunger or Drip either Guatemalan or Ethiopian. Please Take the Percolator and place it in the bin so it can't incinerate any more defenseless little Beans too ;)

Find the chip number and I will add it in too so you can try it as a fix.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26332 on: February 28, 2019, 12:17:35 pm »
How come you Aussies aren't tea drinkers like your POM relatives?  :-//  :P

I know why we aren't. Because we flipped the bird to King George and tossed it all into Boston Harbor.  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26333 on: February 28, 2019, 12:25:52 pm »
We scored a widespread Italian wave in the 40's and early 50's and they came with Espresso machines in tow ;) Coffee culture is really strong here which is why Charbucks ran away after misunderstanding the market that was here before them and we don't like buckets of swill.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26334 on: February 28, 2019, 12:32:05 pm »
We scored a widespread Italian wave in the 40's and early 50's and they came with Espresso machines in tow ;) Coffee culture is really strong here which is why Charbucks ran away after misunderstanding the market that was here before them and we don't like buckets of swill.

Charbucks? Oh...you mean Starsucks. Yes, absolutely, bitter overpriced swill. It proves what comedian George Carlin said "Americans will eat anything, including sautéed raccoon's asshole on a stick"  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26335 on: February 28, 2019, 12:44:37 pm »
I think we are still the only country to this date they have got out of after having the butts well and truly kicked >:D I should apologize a little we Aussies did start MuckCafe to unleash on the world in return :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26336 on: February 28, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »

The chip I first suspected was a 7404 - but I've broken it out onto a breadboard and tried swapping some gates around - and checked each gate on its own.  The 7404 seems to be behaving perfectly - but I was just getting into some deeper thinking when the 8656 showed up.

The 8656 took my attention ... it had lights and numbers and buttons that did things......   ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26337 on: February 28, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »
Funds sent.

Hey....  Wha.... ??

:palm:

You've got me slipping deeper down the rabbit hole.  That was too easy.
It's all the grease around the entrance to the hole, one step too close and whoosh you're going in and nothing you can do about it [emoji48]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26338 on: February 28, 2019, 01:36:44 pm »
Will make it whole beans then fresh roasted tomorrow so it will be right from mid to late next week. Roasted for Plunger or Drip either Guatemalan or Ethiopian. Please Take the Percolator and place it in the bin so it can't incinerate any more defenseless little Beans too ;)

Bite my scaly dwagon arse, bean. };=)~~~~<

For regular non-steam brews, perc in a properly temp-controlled and timed pot is still my favorite, second only to ranch-style.
No offense intended, I just don't like raw coffee.  :P

I only put up with the Gevalia drip-perc because unlike most, it actually gets the coffee to boiling temp and the Thermos pot doesn't burn the coffee. And my wife will do it about 50% of the time, so essentially OPC.  :o

We won't go into my occasional transgressions with instant... I plead the 5th. Sometimes you gotta get your fix to be able to brew your fix.  :-DD

mnem
2 or 3 times through is best. 4 or 5 if you need to jump-start a dead dwagon.  :bullshit:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:44:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26339 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:23 pm »
All you coffee oficiados out there make me laugh [emoji6], WTFs wrong with instant? I hear it about tea bags v loose tea in a pot blah blah, I like my tea/coffee now not in 15 minutes time because I have go though the ritual. Instant coffee, or tea bag, in cup, boiling water in cup, leave for a few minutes, remove bag, add milk /cream sweeten drink and repeat as often as required.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26340 on: February 28, 2019, 01:52:43 pm »
Tastes like ass.

Bosch Tassimo FTW. Lazy as feck. Don't even have to boil a kettle. Tastes like Costa. Costs less. Win win  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26341 on: February 28, 2019, 01:53:39 pm »
What up T.E.A. How have you all been? I had 17 pages of catch up. Loads of great gear pouring in.

As long as I am feeling well this weekend, I may take a trip and get a bunch more gear myself. More FLUKE CALIBRATORS :scared:
I am going to try my best to get it done and get my ass back in gear. @med, If things fall into place, I will be in touch my friend, I may be headed up to the MA area and can easily scoot over to PA and get you these scopes. If that deal doesn't happen, I'll be rolling to FL for some BADASS DC Calibrators. If the sun is shining and its warm, I may never come back  ^-^

Welcome back, cell-monger!  :-DD   Hope you got your back problems... and your "ahem..." problems... all sorted.  ;D

Mid-South Florida (Tampa-St. Pete, which is where I'd suspect you'll be headed, given the nature of the junque involved) is almost tolerable this time of year... Just make sure you're inside somewhere air-conditioned and sipping something cool by 2PM-ish. You'll get gulf-effect showers that roll through approximately 3-4PM almost every afternoon, and these don't cool anything down, they last just long enough to make the ground steam and turn the great outdoors into a sauna.  :phew:

I know this may sound like heaven right now, given where you're at... but that lasts about 3 days. Then you get so sick of not being able to breathe you're ready to drive 12 hours straight to get out of it.  Ask me how I know. ;)

mnem
*Ex-snowbird dwagon*
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:49:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26342 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:41 pm »
Tastes like ass.

Bosch Tassimo FTW. Lazy as feck. Don't even have to boil a kettle. Tastes like Costa. Costs less. Win win  :-+

Instant? Agreed; if I could, I'd take it IV so I don't have to taste it.  :-DD

But seriously... cartridge brewers?   Everything they make tastes like plastic and aluminum. The only thing lower on the food chain than the old Bunn-O-Matic.  :palm:

mnem
Even I have to draw the line somewhere...

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #26343 on: February 28, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »
I think we are still the only country to this date they have got out of after having the butts well and truly kicked >:D I should apologize a little we Aussies did start MuckCafe to unleash on the world in return :palm:

Sadly it was mostly Melbourne they got out of (they tried to have a store in Lygon st. of all places, non-locals have a look at this map for an idea why that was silly). Here in Sydney there's quite a few, maybe half a dozen in the CBD (so still 100x better than Manhattan or Seattle).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26344 on: February 28, 2019, 02:07:18 pm »

Sadly it was mostly Melbourne they got out of (they tried to have a store in Lygon st. of all places, non-locals have a look at this map for an idea why that was silly). Here in Sydney there's quite a few, maybe half a dozen in the CBD (so still 100x better than Manhattan or Seattle).

No longer owned by $tarbucks they sold them and slithered out of the country :horse:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26345 on: February 28, 2019, 02:09:27 pm »
Funds sent.

Hey....  Wha.... ??    :palm:   You've got me slipping deeper down the rabbit hole.  That was too easy.
It's all the grease around the entrance to the hole, one step too close and whoosh you're going in and nothing you can do about it [emoji48]

Oh gawd... I am a dirty-minded widdle dwagon.  :palm:

When I first read that, I took it entirely the WRONG way... was like  :wtf: Where am I? Did TEA suddenly trade places with 4chan?  :-DD

mnem
Attention! I've lost my mind; it's on the loose here somewhere. If you find it, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT. It is extremely dirty, and somewhat deranged.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26346 on: February 28, 2019, 02:10:41 pm »
Tastes like ass.

But seriously... cartridge brewers?   Everything they make tastes like plastic and aluminum. The only thing lower on the food chain than the old Bunn-O-Matic.  :palm:

mnem

I did a double blind on one made by some walking meat in an actual Costa and I couldn't tell the difference so I'm happy.

Nescafe Dolce crud tastes like plastic though.

Main thing with the tassimo is it's the same process with actual grinds, not concentrated gack like some of the other vendors.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #26347 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:17 pm »
coffee cartridge are killing "Bialetti" which was/is a fantastic italian company and the reference regarding coffee.

When we reach perfection we should stop further developing activities.*

*This works only in the kitchen.

Z

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26348 on: February 28, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »
Tastes like ass.

mnem

I did a double blind on one made by some walking meat in an actual Costa and I couldn't tell the difference so I'm happy.

Nescafe Dolce crud tastes like plastic though.

Main thing with the tassimo is it's the same process with actual grinds, not concentrated gack like some of the other vendors.

The thing I have with Bosch... it's the thing everybody else thinks is so awesome: German Engineering. Speaking as someone who has to clean up the mess German Engineers (Especially Bosch) make in not one, but 3 different theaters of operation (Consumer Electronics, Automation, and Automotive) they all have one thing in common, and it's not only endemic to the breed, it appears to be compulsory: OVER-ENGINEERING.

The essential design ethic seems to be "Why use 10 parts to do something, when 50 can do the job just as well?"  :-DD This applies not only to machinery, but to electronics and appliances as well.  :palm:

Not everything can be roboticized, or made better with roboticization; I think maybe good coffee is one of those things where the art is more important, as the tools are pretty fundamental and have already evolved to the point where everything nonessential has been pared away.

mnem
"If your job can be made easier through automation, it can be made to go away as well." ~me
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:13:07 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26349 on: February 28, 2019, 03:11:07 pm »
coffee cartridge are killing "Bialetti" which was/is a fantastic italian company and the reference regarding coffee.

When we reach perfection we should stop further developing activities.*

*This works only in the kitchen.

Z

Do they make one in stainless yet? I hate the taste of aluminum in my coffee. I've tried that little bastard several times... even spent some time hanging in the alt.food.beanies, etc coffee-related usenet groups trying to learn the secret of making a great cup with them... but in the end, the taste of aluminum ALWAYS kills the deal for me.  |O

mnem
*alt.dwagon.pervy*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf