Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17394423 times)

axantas and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26300 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »
Currently sitting in A&E waiting to see my son who has blown his knee tonight, had to get ambulance for him,  consultant with him now.

Dang it - nasty. Hope all goes well.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26301 on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:46 pm »

Yep, I'm right with ya on that suggestion and had come to exactly the same conclusion some hours before you posted.
I was working with the Performance curves here:
http://xx.leogroup.cn/DetailInfoEn/PumpDetail.aspx?SeriesID=9&PumpID=1923

But if ya look at the Rated Parameter specs under another tab on same page, the furking thing is only rated to Flow(m³/h): 4 !  :wtf:
Clearly it's running past its max comfort level but at this time I'm not sure who should be choked/strangled, me, the pump or the expert that sold it to me !  :-DD

Thanks for your pointers Bean and the sanity checks that confirms I was thinking this all correctly.  :phew:  :-+

That link above looks like they have cloned the Grundfos selection site and maybe even their Data too  :palm: Love a Chinese Rubbery Equipment Spec. with conflicting Data.

Gate Valve, Clamp Meter for the Motor. Pressure Gauge on the Pump Body if you are interested and manually test the Flow Rate over a known time going into your Tank up the hill. Record the data and write Ms Pump a Note about the Rubbery Spec. to be ignored by the Chinese manufacturer anyway  :horse:
Done.
Yesterday got back some BS about not being factory authorized to work on LEO pumps   :horse: so sent off our findings this morning going into depth about conflicting data, website omissions and providing some actual measurements.....some more to do though.
Doubt she has the nous to challenge me now and the time its taken for her to craft some BS reply has me thinking she's run off to the factory for some explanations.  :-DD

I'll just down rate the flow rate some and leave it at that as I'm happy enough that it does the job I need it to do.
I can fill the tank to overflowing and it has an overflow pipe so we can just time the flow into a 20L bucket.
...I was working with the Performance curves here:
http://xx.leogroup.cn/DetailInfoEn/PumpDetail.aspx?SeriesID=9&PumpID=1923

But if ya look at the Rated Parameter specs under another tab on same page, the furking thing is only rated to Flow(m³/h): 4 !  :wtf:
Clearly it's running past its max comfort level but at this time I'm not sure who should be choked/strangled, me, the pump or the expert that sold it to me !  :-DD

Thanks for your pointers Bean and the sanity checks that confirms I was thinking this all correctly.  :phew:  :-+

I blame the girl fumes!!! They HAVE  been known to travel right through the telephone waves; it's true ahh tells ya!!!
Yep, starting to think the same.....doesn't matter how old ya is, we're all susceptible to a bit of skirt.  ::)

All seriousness though... what's the service here? Commercial? More than one household? That 4m³/hr translates to almost 18GPM American, and here typical is 5-12GPM for residential, with most being in the low side of that range.  :-// And we are horrible water wasters.  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:

Got to water the Sheep - Insert Baaaaad New Zealand Sheep Shagging Joke here  :-DD

Water from pond at the bottom of the hill pumped up a big hill to a storage tank so it can be gravity fed to stock troughs back down the same line in most cases.
Exactly this ^.
50M lift, 40mm single poly line that acts as pump delivery and main farm feed line.

Typical summertime max usage is ~1500 gals/day.

All cattle here.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26302 on: February 27, 2019, 11:37:21 pm »
Cattle, Sheep it doesn't matter in the eyes of us Aussies but your Farm is more this then ;)

That 4m3/hr is just the nominal flowrate convention that Grundfos started using a long time ago and it stuck. CR2-xxx 2m3/hr, CR4-XXX 43/hr etc......
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:41:51 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26303 on: February 27, 2019, 11:39:17 pm »
Cattle, Sheep it doesn't matter in the eyes of us Aussies but your Farm is more this then ;)

Nah, by how brown that pasture is, it's in Aussie.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26304 on: February 27, 2019, 11:47:20 pm »
Funnily enough just North of you it seems  :-DD https://www.flickr.com/photos/gibbisons/3057705878 Independently confirmed a Kiwi thing.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26305 on: February 27, 2019, 11:53:09 pm »
Well at least they let you signup with minimal information. Only name and email address are required.

Try "erdsefderffcc" and postmaster@keysight.com.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26306 on: February 27, 2019, 11:58:22 pm »
Currently sitting in A&E waiting to see my son who has blown his knee tonight, had to get ambulance for him,  consultant with him now.

My daughter broke her knee, actually an avulsive fracture of the ACL, when skiing. Fortunately it was well diagnosed,  and immobilised at the correct angle. Three weeks later it was out of the cast and she recovered perfectly.

I snapped my patellae tendon. Stitched up, functional for most things.

But much depends on the precise damage. Bones repair themselves, soft tissue doesn't. Now is the time to ensure all the right questions are asked and correctly answered.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:00:04 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26307 on: February 28, 2019, 12:17:55 am »
Yesterday got back some BS about not being factory authorized to work on LEO pumps

I first read that as Low Earth Orbit.

Need caffeine.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26308 on: February 28, 2019, 01:27:17 am »
All seriousness though... what's the service here? Commercial? More than one household? That 4m³/hr translates to almost 18GPM American, and here typical is 5-12GPM for residential, with most being in the low side of that range.  :-// And we are horrible water wasters.  :palm:

mnem
Got to water the Sheep - Insert Baaaaad New Zealand Sheep Shagging Joke here  :-DD

Water from pond at the bottom of the hill pumped up a big hill to a storage tank so it can be gravity fed to stock troughs back down the same line in most cases.
Exactly this ^.
50M lift, 40mm single poly line that acts as pump delivery and main farm feed line.

Gotcha... so still plenty of pump to keep up with demand at ~26,000 gal/day theoretical max capacity modified by the losses from 50m head and 40mm pipe diameter. Just can't do it against a wide open 40mm line like the old one would. I used to know this math... but I'll leave that part to you pros; I grok what's important here. ;)

mnem
*Slippery when wet*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26309 on: February 28, 2019, 01:54:35 am »

mnem

Exactly this ^.

Gotcha... so still plenty of pump to keep up with demand at ~26,000 gal/day theoretical max capacity modified by the losses from 50m head and 40mm pipe diameter. Just can't do it against a wide open 40mm line like the old one would. I used to know this math... but I'll leave that part to you pros; I grok what's important here. ;)

mnem
*Slippery when wet*
Yeah got heaps of pump capacity and always had/wanted that. Didn't want a pump that ya had to have goin all the bloody time.....just like they say for IC engines, there's no substitute for cubes.

But ya have to give them the pipe to breathe properly.  ;)
Additional friction head was calc'ed by 250m of 40mm whereas there's only ~200m plus 50m of 50mm poly up high by the tank where it can handle the pressure.....it accounted for an additional 11m of head so we worked on 60m of head which should also allow for the frictional looses of the few fittings in the line.
Think of fittings as additional resistance in an electrical circuit.

At this time it's all manually controlled with a tiny wireless remote back at the house some 500m from the pump (see my Antenna Project log thread) however I've had designs to automate it with a PV powered tank level sense blipping the pump an ON/OFF signal to the pump house.
Done the circuit, breadboard proofed it all and routed the PCB, got the transmitter, PV, enclosure and made all the mounting metalwork and sense probes. Need to etch the PCB and slam it all together....one day.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26310 on: February 28, 2019, 02:29:14 am »
Anyone else notice that you need an account with Keysight to download old HP documentation now? Booo.  :--

I've run into that in the past, but it seemed to depend on the manual and was a rather rare occurrence. Is it happening for all of them now?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #26311 on: February 28, 2019, 02:48:28 am »
Anyone else notice that you need an account with Keysight to download old HP documentation now? Booo.  :--

I've run into that in the past, but it seemed to depend on the manual and was a rather rare occurrence. Is it happening for all of them now?

A lot of them I've tried in the last couple of months have demanded an email. I guess it's letting you see them if you enter a name and email whether or not you have an account, but still.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26312 on: February 28, 2019, 03:01:33 am »
I see. I guess it's been a while since I've downloaded directly from them. It's also possible I could've been logged in (had to create an account for reasons other than downloading manuals).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26313 on: February 28, 2019, 03:02:22 am »
I was able to download documents for my 8656B without any such requirements - and they were all done in the last 10 days.

https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000002198%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-8656B/synthesized-signal-generator-01-to-990-mhz?pm=PL&nid=-32467.536879993&cc=AU&lc=eng

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26314 on: February 28, 2019, 03:11:17 am »
It might just be newer stuff. Though why I don't know, as the manuals for stuff post 1990 quickly went downhill in terms of what they provided with respect to theory of operation and schematics.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26315 on: February 28, 2019, 03:32:16 am »
Monetizing email address lists. :(

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26316 on: February 28, 2019, 03:47:04 am »
Re Keysight Registration I seem to have received maybe 1-2 informational emails a month at most as a result of signing up. I seemed to have been less often registration was needed for PDF's and now seems more often but not always.

Element 14, Mouser et al and the others are mainstream spammers by comparison and I haven't looked into reducing and I generally glance them all for things of interest.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #26317 on: February 28, 2019, 03:53:10 am »
Well at least they let you signup with minimal information. Only name and email address are required.

Try "erdsefderffcc" and postmaster@keysight.com.

When you try to shop in their online parts store, you not only have to register, but must also be validated as "being a person that is allowed to buy the gear." I submitted more info than I have needed to get into the military! I understand it has a bit to do with global trading rules, etc, but its a headache. On my first request, I was denied and had to file an appeal. Luckily upon review they found, "I am who I say I am" and did end up granting me access. It was a four day ordeal and I am not sure why it needs to be this difficult.

But having been through the process, I would say, without a doubt, it worth it and I would do it again any day so I can buy the OEM replacement parts I sometimes need for my gear.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:13:26 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #26318 on: February 28, 2019, 05:08:04 am »
What up T.E.A. How have you all been? I had 17 pages of catch up. Loads of great gear pouring in.

As long as I am feeling well this weekend, I may take a trip and get a bunch more gear myself. More FLUKE CALIBRATORS :scared:
I am going to try my best to get it done and get my ass back in gear. @med, If things fall into place, I will be in touch my friend, I may be headed up to the MA area and can easily scoot over to PA and get you these scopes. If that deal doesn't happen, I'll be rolling to FL for some BADASS DC Calibrators. If the sun is shining and its warm, I may never come back  ^-^

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26319 on: February 28, 2019, 05:45:02 am »
I may or may not have another HP spectrum analyzer coming in the next couple weeks.  :-DD This time a very nice 8566A. Going to BOLO for a junked RF unit that can donate A->B conversion parts. I'm getting my workout lifting all this stuff...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26320 on: February 28, 2019, 05:55:44 am »
What up T.E.A. How have you all been? I had 17 pages of catch up. Loads of great gear pouring in.

As long as I am feeling well this weekend, I may take a trip and get a bunch more gear myself. More FLUKE CALIBRATORS :scared:
I am going to try my best to get it done and get my ass back in gear. @med, If things fall into place, I will be in touch my friend, I may be headed up to the MA area and can easily scoot over to PA and get you these scopes. If that deal doesn't happen, I'll be rolling to FL for some BADASS DC Calibrators. If the sun is shining and its warm, I may never come back  ^-^

OK, cool! Now when you say 'MA' do you mean Maryland or Massachusetts? If it's Masshole  :-DD then you have to come through New York to get there and I could meet you somewhere. Also, keep in mind that this Monday, 3/4,  I'll be road tripping down to New Jersey to meet my Brother.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #26321 on: February 28, 2019, 06:10:46 am »
Sorry I though it was MASS, but I just double checked and the warehouse is in Mary fucking land. MD.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26322 on: February 28, 2019, 06:13:58 am »
Sorry I though it was MASS, but I just double checked and the warehouse is in Mary fucking land. MD.

OK, no problem. Then we'll meet at the spot we had discussed prior in PA. We'll talk over PM.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26323 on: February 28, 2019, 06:16:08 am »

Good to see you, Inverted! I know all about the horror of finding yourself many, many pages behind here. :o

Sounds like you've been having lots of TEA fun!

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf