Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17396253 times)

ftg, Ice-Tea, Robert763 and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26250 on: February 27, 2019, 02:38:13 pm »
Skodas used to be bad. They're just Audis in disguise now.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26251 on: February 27, 2019, 02:50:03 pm »
And that my friends is why I chose to buy my old company car.... But it wasn't that many years ago that companies would reward their least successful sales reps with having to drive the company car of shame for a month, a Skoda Octavia until of course they slowly emerged from the old image they used to have. These days they really are cars of impeccable taste and great value for money, my Superb really does live upto its name in every sense. Its 5 years old, lives outside all the time, it's not modi coddled like so many cars that live in garages. It has no signs of rust, still with everything as original apart from tyres, water pump and cam belt, starts first time everytime, automatic and power everything, looks like a new car and I have never polished it, just use the normal drive through car wash, it's perfect.  How many cars could you say that about, not many I bet  :-DD

Every Saturn we've ever owned has died with excess of 150K miles as a result of interaction with shitty Texas drivers. One died as a result of "Saturn on Saturn Violence"; it got T-boned by another 1D10T at approx 220K miles while my bro-in-law was was driving it. Literally left the front license plate embedded in the door; otherwise our shite PD would never have found the arsehole who hit him.  :palm:  The last one we have, a 2000 SL1, my wife bought new 20 years ago. Aside from multiple repairs due to collision damage, the only thing it has had replaced is the usual consumables and tune-up items, and an alternator, which is arguably also a consumable. It has 240K miles on it, and everything still works. Oh, wait... and the headliner/sun-visors, which died of UV exposure from the Tejas sun. The AC still blows ice cubes on the 4th of July.

mnem
There's a REASON GM had to kill off the only brand they carried that had any reputation of qwality; Saturn owners loved them and just drove them and drove them and drove them. Saturns were bad for turnover, which is the new model for all business.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:58:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26252 on: February 27, 2019, 03:03:57 pm »
t
my former boss is down the EME rabbit hole.

he is crazy for it on every band up to 10 Ghz.

geeeeze.  I thought I was a freak.  he can spend hours just explaining how the system points the damn dish,  is obsessed with sun noise,  AND about twice a month something blows up and he has to ship exotic units to germany for repair. 

not sure why it is so addictive.  he sets everything up and then can actually leave the room while the computer tracks the moon, answers calls, and logs the contacts.

he can go back into the shack the next morning to see how much fun he had overnight.

some fun hey???

Don't start me on 10GHz. Actually too late. I've got some 1N23 diodes already, some gunnplexers on the watchlist and a book on the way  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26253 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:12 pm »
And that my friends is why I chose to buy my old company car.... But it wasn't that many years ago that companies would reward their least successful sales reps with having to drive the company car of shame for a month, a Skoda Octavia until of course they slowly emerged from the old image they used to have. These days they really are cars of impeccable taste and great value for money, my Superb really does live upto its name in every sense. Its 5 years old, lives outside all the time, it's not modi coddled like so many cars that live in garages. It has no signs of rust, still with everything as original apart from tyres, water pump and cam belt, starts first time everytime, automatic and power everything, looks like a new car and I have never polished it, just use the normal drive through car wash, it's perfect.  How many cars could you say that about, not many I bet  :-DD

My '04 Mazda 2 (110kmiles), and my mother's '03 Toyota Yaris Verso (40kmiles), to name but two. Much the same could be said of most of my previous cars, since my selecton criteria is (1) does Which? say it is reliable. followed by (2) are the seats comfortable.

But then I had one of my previous cars for 10 years until it was 43 years old - and I sold it for the same price I paid. Yes, bits did fall off regularly (fuel tank, wheel, engine), but since I had the appropriate bolts those were merely roadside repairs :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:20:32 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26254 on: February 27, 2019, 03:23:43 pm »
t

geeeeze.  I thought I was a freak.  he can spend hours just explaining how the system points the damn dish,  is obsessed with sun noise,  AND about twice a month something blows up and he has to ship exotic units to germany for repair. 

not sure why it is so addictive.  he sets everything up and then can actually leave the room while the computer tracks the moon, answers calls, and logs the contacts.

he can go back into the shack the next morning to see how much fun he had overnight.

some fun hey???

Don't start me on 10GHz. Actually too late. I've got some 1N23 diodes already, some gunnplexers on the watchlist and a book on the way  :-DD

Never trust an antenna that you can't carry in one hand, and prefer one that fits on your palm :)

Personally I'm tempted by trying to legally spatter the 3-8GHz (?details?) bands all at once; must check on the precise requirements.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26255 on: February 27, 2019, 03:57:19 pm »

I've built and bought oodles of these over the years; lots of testing by ERP at 10m with a "cheap" IRC Power meter (I don't have and can't justify expense of VSWR gear in this range) has shown me I don't have the knack for tuning them worth a shit, so now I buy or build by calculation or jig and just go with it. When I build I usually use copper-plated MIG wire, as that tends to have better reflected signal rejection and is quite durable if your soldering is worth a sh**. And I already have miles of it on hand.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:06:56 pm by mnementh »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26256 on: February 27, 2019, 04:05:45 pm »
t

some fun hey???

Never trust an antenna that you can't carry in one hand, and prefer one that fits on your palm :)

Personally I'm tempted by trying to legally spatter the 3-8GHz (?details?) bands all at once; must check on the precise requirements.

he has a bunch of those old 8-10 ft mesh dishes from the 80's.    he is always out swapping feed horns as he changes bands.  am worried that one of these days a counterweight is gonna come loose and maim or kill him.

but hey.....everyone needs a hobby.
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26257 on: February 27, 2019, 04:23:41 pm »

Yes I tend to agree there. The ones that I have had that are bigger than my hand seem to punch you in the face regularly. The tree surgeons hired to chop the local council owned trees that overhang my property finished off my HF antenna earlier this week. At least they're all gone now so I get to install a new one obstruction free! Got through 200m of antenna wire, two baluns and about 80m of RG58 feed so far with that damn one.

Have a look for "HBR100 microwave". 10.520GHz dopper radar modules. With an ikea parabolic dish you can get 18-30km out of a 10G link apparently.

Reference: http://home.deds.nl/~knol/HB100/ (use google translate)

I've built and bought oodles of these over the years; lots of testing by ERP at 10m with a "cheap" IRC Power meter (I don't have and can't justify expense of VSWR gear in this range) has shown me I don't have the knack for tuning them worth a shit, so now I buy or build by calculation or jig and just go with it. When I build I usually use copper-plated MIG wire, as that tends to have better reflected signal rejection and is quite durable if your soldering is worth a sh**. And I already have miles of it on hand.  :-DD

mnem

Looking good to me  :-+
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:27:42 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26258 on: February 27, 2019, 04:48:34 pm »

Yes I tend to agree there. The ones that I have had that are bigger than my hand seem to punch you in the face regularly. The tree surgeons hired to chop the local council owned trees that overhang my property finished off my HF antenna earlier this week. At least they're all gone now so I get to install a new one obstruction free! Got through 200m of antenna wire, two baluns and about 80m of RG58 feed so far with that damn one.

Have a look for "HBR100 microwave". 10.520GHz dopper radar modules. With an ikea parabolic dish you can get 18-30km out of a 10G link apparently.

I presume you are aware of this mob: https://microwavers.org/ Their newsletters aren't bad, and they also do mmwave up to 241GHz :)

Shame many of them are on the "wrong" side of the country, near Martlesham unsurprisingly.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26259 on: February 27, 2019, 05:07:11 pm »
I presume you are aware of this mob: https://microwavers.org/ Their newsletters aren't bad, and they also do mmwave up to 241GHz :)

Shame many of them are on the "wrong" side of the country, near Martlesham unsurprisingly.

I am indeed aware. 241GHz is just showing off. Then again I've got a 430THz transmitter next to me doing something trivial so perhaps it's not :)

Martlesham and location - no surprise there!

Edit: I may consider going to hamfest up that way just to see what turns up.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26260 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:56 pm »
I'm sure you know this, but a gentle reminder from someone who used to fix cars for a living in the salt belt: there is no good excuse for NOT washing your car at least twice a week during salt season, no matter what. If you like your cars at all, wash them every other day with the undercar wash enabled.

Just like your teeth; ignore them and they will go away.  :-+

mnem
*Sponsored by the Tin Termite Eradication League*

I am well aware of the need to flush the underbody often during the winter. I don't do it as often as you suggest but it does get done.

Here's the CR-V as it currently sits. And the snow has just started so there's absolutely no sense in going to the car wash now. In warm weather I hand wash and dry both cars.

And proof that my maintenance plans work. This is the '04 Civic with 191K miles. Up until 2 years ago it was my daily driver. And up until 3 months ago it wasn't garaged. It plied the salt/slush just like the CR-V does now. You see any rust on it? Nope. And the underbody is just as good. It even has the original factory exhaust system.

The only thing I beat up is the ass ends of 2465's.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26261 on: February 27, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »
And you do a damn fine job of that sir.  :clap:

Where I was going with that was more a thing you don't know unless you actually work on vehicles frequently; we can always tell the guys who wash their cars regularly. Not by how clean they are when they come into the shop, but by whether we can take things apart without breaking or stripping frozen fasteners.  It WAS just a gentle reminder, not an accusation; the salt belt isn't like Texas, where you can unbolt something that's been together for 20 years with one of these. ;)

mnem
 :-DD
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:14:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26262 on: February 27, 2019, 06:15:50 pm »

I also get a pension from Itty Bitty Morons but they forced me out at age 55 with nearly 36 years. I was vested so entitled to a pension but since I had to take it 10 years "early" it's a lesser amount than if I left at say 62 or 65.

I'd love it if the place I'm working at offered me early retirement at 55! I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 49 and it wasn't certain that I'd see my 50th birthday. Thankfully, I'll be 54 soon, but the radiation treatment I had makes living into my 80s highly unlikely.

The thought of having to work until I'm at least 65 really doesn't fill me with joy!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26263 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:56 pm »
Slack off - you deserve it after fighting that bastard off :-+

Just took a £20 risk on ebay. Someone selling an untested Heathkit IC2108 calculator. Mostly a chunk of poo by modern standards but it has three panaplex displays in it so fingers crossed. Doing it for the glow. Plus it comes with a free busicom unit. Worst case I can use the enclosures for something cool.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, grizewald

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #26264 on: February 27, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »
It's not an addiction. It's stock.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26265 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:33 pm »

Just took a £20 risk on ebay. Someone selling an untested Heathkit IC2108 calculator. Mostly a chunk of poo by modern standards but it has three panaplex displays in it so fingers crossed. Doing it for the glow. Plus it comes with a free busicom unit. Worst case I can use the enclosures for something cool.

20 quid for three panaflex displays is a bargain! The one I bought to fix the display on my 7075 cost the same.

Cancer's a bastard. It seems to have a sense of irony as well. Five years before I got cancer, I'd quit smoking, only to get cancer of the anus!  :-DD

Priceless!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26266 on: February 27, 2019, 07:21:30 pm »
So off to Siglent. SDG1025 looks the job. Hmm no LXI, phase noise worse than DG1022Z, much worse harmonic performance above a few MHz, channel 2 is crippled compared to channel 1 (just no).
Right.
And the 14 bit SDG1032X doesn't make the grade ?
Or the 16 bit SDG2042X ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26267 on: February 27, 2019, 07:27:44 pm »
SDG1032X doesn’t. Same performance issues.

SDG2042X doesn’t quote phase noise performance and is too expensive. Performance is slightly worse than the Rigol.

DG1022Z is a unicorn TBH. It’s exceptionally good for the money. It’s not the siglents are bad but the Rigol is just weirdly good.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26268 on: February 27, 2019, 07:29:21 pm »

Even if it doesn't work and it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what's wrong. Doesn't it use just one chip and the rest is all discrete components?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26269 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:49 pm »

20 quid for three panaflex displays is a bargain! The one I bought to fix the display on my 7075 cost the same.

Cancer's a bastard. It seems to have a sense of irony as well. Five years before I got cancer, I'd quit smoking, only to get cancer of the anus!  :-DD

Priceless!

Yeah I thought that. Probably three duff panaplex displays knowing my luck!

It is indeed a bastard. Lost my father to it and my uncle. Both heavy smokers and both quit. You know the universe is a dick if you get anus cancer. Hope you don’t get any problems in the future  :)

Even if it doesn't work and it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what's wrong. Doesn't it use just one chip and the rest is all discrete components?

Yeah the main risks are the panaplex displays are duff, the chip is duff. Likely works or limps at least or the caps have gone short. They always put terrible ones in stuff in the 70s

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26270 on: February 27, 2019, 07:39:47 pm »
It was made in China from potentially dubious stainless steel ources and involves mains wiring what could possibly go wrong  :o
Runs a bit too warm Bean and researching as to why this arvo.

Is the motor ex China @Tautech or a local sourced IEC flanged one that meets a local spec?
:-DD
Funny you ask as my sparky mate said most Chinese 3 phase motors are only rated to 380VAC and as a consequence they can run hot on our 3 phase 415VAC.
The name plate looks OK and I don't think it's forged as the motor is drawing the correct labeled current whereas the LEO website only lists 380VAC versions drawing 4.7A.

The fan on it is pretty pitiful though and could be much better IMHO. Bloody thing would fry in OZ.  :scared:

Ok so some quick thoughts based on their own 'claimed' data. The Motor is potentially overloaded if you run it to far out on the curve. The 7000 L/hr you mentioned this morning puts you at 0.2kW/stage and you have 12 so last time I did maths that is 2.4kW Pin and you have on looking at the photo more carefully a motor rated at 2.2kW likely Pout but potentially using Chinese logic not derated by the 'claimed efficiency'.

Quick fix is drop a gate valve on the outlet if you don't have one and choke the flow back to reduce the load lest you see smoke. Curve power/stage is below. Basics are higher pressure with lower flow is less power absorbed. Drop a clamp meter on it to set and check the motor Temp as well as you can.
Yep, I'm right with ya on that suggestion and had come to exactly the same conclusion some hours before you posted.
I was working with the Performance curves here:
http://xx.leogroup.cn/DetailInfoEn/PumpDetail.aspx?SeriesID=9&PumpID=1923

But if ya look at the Rated Parameter specs under another tab on same page, the furking thing is only rated to Flow(m³/h): 4 !  :wtf:
Clearly it's running past its max comfort level but at this time I'm not sure who should be choked/strangled, me, the pump or the expert that sold it to me !  :-DD

Thanks for your pointers Bean and the sanity checks that confirms I was thinking this all correctly.  :phew:  :-+
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:42:11 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26271 on: February 27, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
Which ?
Channel outputs are equal amplitude like SDG2042X.
Or something else ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26272 on: February 27, 2019, 07:49:00 pm »

My '04 Mazda 2 (110kmiles), and my mother's '03 Toyota Yaris Verso (40kmiles), to name but two. Much the same could be said of most of my previous cars, since my selecton criteria is (1) does Which? say it is reliable. followed by (2) are the seats comfortable.

But then I had one of my previous cars for 10 years until it was 43 years old - and I sold it for the same price I paid. Yes, bits did fall off regularly (fuel tank, wheel, engine), but since I had the appropriate bolts those were merely roadside repairs :)

I've been the only driver of my car since day one, when I ordered the car I had to wait almost 5 months before it was ready for collection as they didn't build cars to be stockpiled and left in old airfields slowly rusting away for months or years before being sold, only made against specific orders. Previously I have had Fords, Vauxhall (Opel), Volkswagen and Rovers as company cars and by the end of their 3 years they all looked a bit worse for wear and all were ready for delivery within 2 weeks from time of ordering. The only car among them that I was sorry to see go was a Volkswagen Passat, that was a good car and 1 had 3 of those before I selected a Skoda and that was only because my 3 sons were rapidly growing to being 1.9m tall and so the extra legroom was essential and the Skoda has been the best car from all of them. My current car is 5.5 years old and from the outside you would never believe it. Inside the drivers mat has worn through (now replaced with a new one), still has all the original carpets and passenger mats, foot rests in the rear. Leather on the seats is like new, only drivers shows slight signs of wear and after a good valet looks almost new inside too.

On the other cars I have had new batteries, tyres, brakes, exhausts, ECU's, water pumps, clutches, shock absorbers, starter motors, alternators, window motors, door locks, throttle sensors, heaters and radiators fail all within the 3 years before the company renewed the cars but my current car just keeps on going and the the only reason it had a new water pump fitted is because it is recommended to replace it at the same time as the cam belt is changed as the front of the car has to be dismantled to gain access to it so it is really a preventative measure because of the cost of labour.

Yes I know that the car is essentially the same as all other volkswagen cars including Audi and Bentley but for some reason the Skoda's seem to be made with more pride and attention to detail than say Volkswagen or Seat cars from the group while in my view Skoda, Porsche, Audi and Bentley seem to be from the same mould.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26273 on: February 27, 2019, 07:57:21 pm »
Which ?
Or something else ?

Harmonics and phase noise performance worse.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26274 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:37 pm »
Which ?
Or something else ?

Harmonics and phase noise performance worse.
OK, Siglent specs are worst case so therefore always met however I can do these real measurements on a SDG1032X here using my SSA3032X if you like.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf