Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17889789 times)

Vgkid, med6753, wkb and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25500 on: February 17, 2019, 02:11:29 am »
So, has anyone access to a circuit diagram for the HP6825A or does someone own one?
I would be rather sad to add it to the 'can't be done with current resources' pile.

Unfortunately, I have neither in my possession although I've been casually looking to get one. It's really unfortunate that the online service manual is missing the schematics section. *sigh*
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #25501 on: February 17, 2019, 02:12:33 am »
Amazed at how nice this unit is and works. Plenty more details to follow.

Ooh, me like! 8)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25502 on: February 17, 2019, 02:29:02 am »
If the Aussie users can get together and group buy the Fluke gear, I can put it on a pallet and DHL ship it to you. You will have it within about 5 days and can divide it up among yourselves. Split the cost for freight and the lot...too easy! DHL invoice will work in your favor, I promise.

Only is we can have it sent to Mrs SHMBO Brumby as the adressee. First Tea member to be tied by his bits to a Fluke Calibrator and thrown off the harbor bridge  :-DD

Between the two of you, I'm headed for exactly that fate!!

But, to be honest, you could send a pallet my way, if you really want.  I could actually handle that - and SWMBO would not mind too much if it was stuff "just passing through".  One advantage is if you have any stuff for Dave, I could deliver it myself.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25503 on: February 17, 2019, 02:34:21 am »
Oh SHIT Aussie, now you have NO EXCUSES! He turned the BURNER UP to SCORN! Get the group, I'll send it your way for $1200 plus cost of shipping. And Dave may help, he is not Broke either, he could throw down $200.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:38:21 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25504 on: February 17, 2019, 02:40:04 am »
I'm only offering my time - my budget at the moment doesn't allow for anything further, sadly.

I can offer pickup from Sydney western suburbs - or will ship if someone else pays for it.  If local, I might be able to deliver for petrol money.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25505 on: February 17, 2019, 02:50:05 am »
the 5440A seems to have settled now. Here is the 1V range with just 5PLC's and I included the specs from the data page as well....

I am STOKED!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:07:01 am by Inverted18650 »

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25506 on: February 17, 2019, 02:53:54 am »
Nice, I plan to buy a 5440A in a few months. I need to finish school(for work)for that to happen though.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25507 on: February 17, 2019, 02:54:30 am »
I'm only offering my time - my budget at the moment doesn't allow for anything further, sadly.

I can offer pickup from Sydney western suburbs - or will ship if someone else pays for it.  If local, I might be able to deliver for petrol money.

New job TEA distributor in Sydney  :) I might have your first paid job from that link I sent you a few days ago :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25508 on: February 17, 2019, 03:00:46 am »
the 5440B seems to have settled now. Here is the 1V range with just 5PLC's and I included the specs from the data page as well....

I am STOKED!

Looks damn good!  :-+

Found this while cruising around and I'll just leave it here.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25509 on: February 17, 2019, 03:01:18 am »
New job TEA distributor in Sydney  :) I might have your first paid job from that link I sent you a few days ago :-DD

Not sure how that's going to go - but I'll know by tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25510 on: February 17, 2019, 03:11:43 am »
I will apply for my wholesale and export license and send a bunch of stuff that way if you want to make a business run at it...I get so much gear that it only makes sense to try. F*ck the other stores, Ill get a loan for inventory and this time next year I will have my $25kUSD CAL LAB. If there is a market for it, I will certainly give it a go. A 'break-even' or loss, is not a fail in my book, because at least I tried.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:16:18 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25511 on: February 17, 2019, 03:15:47 am »
I'm starting to get somewhat intrigued, very nervous........ 

.... and just a little bit excited (but that excitement might have a sleeping bag in the garage attached to it).

I can't offer up any capital at this point, however.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:17:36 am by Brumby »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25512 on: February 17, 2019, 03:18:52 am »
For real though, I got this 5440A for $460 delivered. Easy double right? So I get the gear, troubleshoot what I can, send the rest to you pros there, and we make it work. The internet is a wild and wonderful thing. I assume some risk yes, but your not shooting at me, so that's a plus...(lol) and already better than my last gig.

The cost of goods sold is hendered by the cost of shipping. If I can palatalize a large load for 20% of a piece my piece lot, and the wholesale gets it duty free, why not.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:21:13 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25513 on: February 17, 2019, 03:19:36 am »
I will apply for my wholesale and export license and send a bunch of stuff that way if you want to make a business run at it...I get so much gear that it only makes sense to try. F*ck the other stores, Ill get a loan for inventory and this time next year I will have my $25kUSD CAL LAB. If there is a market for it, I will certainly give it a go. A 'break-even' or loss, is not a fail in my book, because at least I tried.
Never failing means not challenging yourself hard enough.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25514 on: February 17, 2019, 03:22:17 am »
Fuck yeah!

I try to find out what it costs for a 2,200lb pallet from DHL, then Ill try the freight shipper from FL and see what I can find.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:24:06 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25515 on: February 17, 2019, 03:29:44 am »
.... send the rest to you pros there ....

A word of warning - Don't expect me to be able to offer anything but a really basic contribution.  My most precise standard is a DMMcheck that was calibrated a couple of years ago.  My top DMM is the BM235 from Dave.

... and I am currently getting a headache trying to work out this 5381A.

I can pack, however.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:33:39 am by Brumby »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25516 on: February 17, 2019, 03:37:49 am »
.... send the rest to you pros there ....

A word of warning - Don't expect me to be able to offer anything but a really basic contribution.  My most precise standard is a DMMcheck that was calibrated a couple of years ago.  My top DMM is the BM235 from Dave.

... and I am currently getting a headache trying to work out this 5381A.

I can pack, however.

What would it take for you to get the import licence as well? Any idea. I am crazy enough to do this and get it up and running pretty quickly.

Also what does an IN Spec 5540A, 5440B/AF go for there? If there is a hole in the market that I can fill, I will try it. Why NOT save people money and still make a few bucks toward my goals? Why not.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:41:46 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25517 on: February 17, 2019, 03:45:51 am »
Unfortunately there is some downsides to bulk importing when you hit $1k AUpesos ($700USD) you are liable for duty (if payable on the item) and GST @10% and generally over that limit you are going to be pushed toward needing a customs agent or you need to get some skills PDQ on filling out Nature 10's. Using DHL will solve some of the Customs Brokerage fees but it does bump the /kg price over other bulk options. Commercial importing and selling also tends to trigger a bit of Big Brother looking at what you do if that would cause a problem with derived income.

A lot of what seems to be missing to get a better rate of return on test gear is the lack of will or skill to shove a $10 meter, 5% resistor and a 9V battery across the terminals in a lot of cases.  Or use the cop out of sold for parts to avoid and return headaches from sellers when an item would test close to or in spec. if they showed a working test. :palm:

As a buyer I view even some basic tests as a bonus and are worth money to me even when they are as rough as guts.

EDIT NO you don't need an import license unless the goods are restricted in anyway.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25518 on: February 17, 2019, 03:47:28 am »
Also what does an IN Spec 5540A, 5440B/AF go for there?

I have absolutely no idea.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25519 on: February 17, 2019, 03:48:28 am »
Maybe I will just buy a nice boat and make the trip myself!

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25520 on: February 17, 2019, 03:50:29 am »
For real though, I got this 5440A for $460 delivered. Easy double right? So I get the gear, troubleshoot what I can, send the rest to you pros there, and we make it work. The internet is a wild and wonderful thing. I assume some risk yes, but your not shooting at me, so that's a plus...(lol) and already better than my last gig.

The cost of goods sold is hendered by the cost of shipping. If I can palatalize a large load for 20% of a piece my piece lot, and the wholesale gets it duty free, why not.

Agreed that the cost of the used equipment is hindered by the cost of shipment. It is not economic to get broken equipment over the pacific. Think same case as you guy getting cheap stuff from China.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25521 on: February 17, 2019, 03:54:03 am »
no syau, you cannot buy the 5440A...lol...but I do love you!

Maybe if its cheaper from China, I can send it to you first, we can figure it out. I think we have the IQ necessary to make this work..AND yes, I will buy a damn boat and make the trip, it would be SOOO much fun!

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25522 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:12 am »

Agreed that the cost of the used equipment is hindered by the cost of shipment. It is not economic to get broken equipment over the pacific. Think same case as you guy getting cheap stuff from China.

This is why I have never sold anything that costs more than $1000. Its the same for most countries.

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25523 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:37 am »
Unfortunately there is some downsides to bulk importing when you hit $1k AUpesos ($700USD) you are liable for duty (if payable on the item) and GST @10% and generally over that limit you are going to be pushed toward needing a customs agent or you need to get some skills PDQ on filling out Nature 10's. Using DHL will solve some of the Customs Brokerage fees but it does bump the /kg price over other bulk options. Commercial importing and selling also tends to trigger a bit of Big Brother looking at what you do if that would cause a problem with derived income.

A lot of what seems to be missing to get a better rate of return on test gear is the lack of will or skill to shove a $10 meter, 5% resistor and a 9V battery across the terminals in a lot of cases.  Or use the cop out of sold for parts to avoid and return headaches from sellers when an item would test close to or in spec. if they showed a working test. :palm:

As a buyer I view even some basic tests as a bonus and are worth money to me even when they are as rough as guts.

EDIT NO you don't need an import license unless the goods are restricted in anyway.

In Hong Kong, we neither need any import declaration for goods that value below USD$1000. Any things cost more than need declaration unless it is for “personal use”. No import duty for most of the items unless getting spirit or car  :-DD.

Import license is required for those restricted items such as HAM radio  |O

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25524 on: February 17, 2019, 03:59:49 am »
I've worked with someone who does some importing - and I'm familiar with some of the basics, but, to be honest, I was only thinking of myself as being a way-point for items that already have a name and address on them.  The concept of a business importing test gear was somewhat outside my vision.

That's not to say I'm against the idea - but there would need to be some serious costing and market examination to see where the point of viability sits.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf