Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17429891 times)

Original, duckduck, Kosmic and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24725 on: February 07, 2019, 10:49:49 pm »
Is this TEA material? Distance-nuttery?

Just ordered one of these dudes at last. Can sling the cheap jumpy one now  :-+

So long as they are the real deal nice set  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24726 on: February 07, 2019, 10:51:10 pm »
Apparently they are. But amazon. Not marketplace, actually sold by amazon.  You can check if they are genuine or not because the fake ones have a bug apparently. I will check.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24727 on: February 07, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »
For some light Mitutoyo edutainment AVE in full force  ;D

https://youtu.be/KnDype-j3hk
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #24728 on: February 07, 2019, 11:11:57 pm »
Try it into a load first if you have one. Might be high VSWR tripping. That could be antenna, feed, output filters, anything.

First thing I do is stick an ohmmeter across the antenna. Then find it’s some shite PL259s screwing me. Amphenol or bust now.

I'll try that once I reassemble it. I opened it up to look at a particular transistor that's apparently prone to failing. It looked fine, but unfortunately the thermal compound I have is old as my old computer build. Have some fresh Arctic Silver ceramique on the way. I prefer it because it's nonconductive and won't cause a short if it gets somewhere it shouldn't.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24729 on: February 07, 2019, 11:14:46 pm »
For some light Mitutoyo edutainment AVE in full force  ;D

https://youtu.be/KnDype-j3hk

Cool thanks. I will watch that in the morning. Paid equivalent USD $90 for these and they are being sold by an actual authorised reseller for about $5 more so see how it goes.

Try it into a load first if you have one. Might be high VSWR tripping. That could be antenna, feed, output filters, anything.

First thing I do is stick an ohmmeter across the antenna. Then find it’s some shite PL259s screwing me. Amphenol or bust now.

I'll try that once I reassemble it. I opened it up to look at a particular transistor that's apparently prone to failing. It looked fine, but unfortunately the thermal compound I have is old as my old computer build. Have some fresh Arctic Silver ceramique on the way. I prefer it because it's nonconductive and won't cause a short if it gets somewhere it shouldn't.

Yeah it’s good stuff. Used it for years myself. Good luck  :-+

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #24730 on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:01 pm »
Wow, so the antenna is showing ~600 K ohm!! That might be the problem right there....

...and on the bright side I can do the thermal compound right. The last job in this radio was done with waaaaayyy too much. I'm going to have to clean up a lot before reassembly.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24731 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:08 am »

So long as they are the real deal nice set  :)
I got my Moore & Wright LED digital micrometer as 'old electric clamp'.
Have a Mituitoyo digital caliper, but most of the time the mechanical Mauser gets used.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24732 on: February 08, 2019, 12:23:35 am »
Dear TEA members, try to convince me to buy or not buy this scope:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223008893234

In the renowned Israelian tradition it was used as support for a Merkava tank and suffered some mechanical stress. The seller started it, and it seems to my amazement that it still turns on. It also offered a small discount.
No, there is no trolling or joke, I have a TDS 724A with a cracked attenuator, and for year I couldn't find one under 100EUR shipped to Germany, all my attempts, including here, failed.
So I was thinking that if at least one of the ceramic attenuators are OK, I can bodge one of two scopes and sell the other one for parts.
I know that in US for this kind of money you'll get the same model with all the possible options  and eventually some scratches or a missing feet as defects, but here in Meerkel's land it's a bit difficult  |O

So bring it on, I want to hear your opinion.

Cheers,
 DC1MC
No. I'm lacking in sadistic traits, which would be the only conceivable reason to encourage you.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #24733 on: February 08, 2019, 01:05:46 am »

I'd go with "critical lab equipment" myself, so very handy when working with existing equipment or pre-made enclosures. I have 4 pairs of good Mitutoyo calipers floating around.

For most of our purposes the cheapies are fine, but it's certainly *nicer* using the good stuff.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24734 on: February 08, 2019, 01:26:29 am »
This comes as close to a therapy for TEA, as I can imagine. THIS multimeter is really really ugly:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Analog-Multimeter-LAVO-3-Multirange-Meter-Analoges-Vielfachmessgerat/382755993594
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:28:35 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24735 on: February 08, 2019, 01:33:04 am »
Discovered that my Icom IC7000 that I bought when I got my ham license (relatively cheap fortunately) won't tx now that I have a power supply that will feed it. Some kind of protection circuitry is tripping inside.  |O Maybe the radioshack UHF/VHF antenna I have is crap?
Hmm, is it a linear or switch mode PSU? If its a switcher, is the noise and ripple a factor or not?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24736 on: February 08, 2019, 01:44:04 am »
Dear TEA members, try to convince me to buy or not buy this scope:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223008893234

In the renowned Israelian tradition it was used as support for a Merkava tank and suffered some mechanical stress. The seller started it, and it seems to my amazement that it still turns on. It also offered a small discount.
No, there is no trolling or joke, I have a TDS 724A with a cracked attenuator, and for year I couldn't find one under 100EUR shipped to Germany, all my attempts, including here, failed.
So I was thinking that if at least one of the ceramic attenuators are OK, I can bodge one of two scopes and sell the other one for parts.
I know that in US for this kind of money you'll get the same model with all the possible options  and eventually some scratches or a missing feet as defects, but here in Meerkel's land it's a bit difficult  |O

So bring it on, I want to hear your opinion.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

I would not touch that with a 10m long pole with poop on the end myself. Think it was more an IDF Caterpillar was used to transport it for disposal  :-DD

Nice SA from the same seller :P

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tektronix-492-PGM-Programmable-Spectrum-Analyzer-492PGM/223105147721?hash=item33f21a6349:g:aIgAAOSwY5ZbdWtF&redirect=mobile

Not sure but it look like a bullet hole on the top.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:54:11 am by Kosmic »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24737 on: February 08, 2019, 01:52:35 am »
Hey I have a couple of of the really cheap digital calipers, one day I might treat myself to something better. That said the cheap ones are not too bad as long as the battery is OK but I have noticed that if I use them too close to my desk magnifier lamp when it is switched on, all bets are out of the window as far reliable readings are concerned, it totally screws them up  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #24738 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:59 am »
This comes as close to a therapy for TEA, as I can imagine. THIS multimeter is really really ugly:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Analog-Multimeter-LAVO-3-Multirange-Meter-Analoges-Vielfachmessgerat/382755993594

Ugh, I nearly hit the 'report to moderator' button, that thing is horrid... (Where's the vomit emoji?)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24739 on: February 08, 2019, 02:08:56 am »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24740 on: February 08, 2019, 04:42:58 am »
That's brilliant med, well done with your homebrew standards. How is the lady bearing up now after her nasty experience?

She's home and off duty for an unknown period right now. She's hurting a bit but doing OK. Thanks for asking.  :-+

That's good to hear. Hope you get a chance to go visit after the storm lets up.

You'll have that category all to yourself.  :-DD
You know, I can't help but think that maybe mnem might have a prior claim to that as well. :-DD

That's only what's within arm's reach.  >:D Uncle Bumblefuck might have rude things to say about my cheap Chinesium dials and calipers, but they're more than good enough for 99% of anything you'll do that's not directly related to a lathe or mill. He goes on and on about Mitutoyo's "Absolute measurement" technology; but fact remains that once upon a time, all calipers were "relative" and you had to "zero out" before you use them, just like my Nippon-Seikos there in the middle, and just like any DRO you'll ever use. If my NSKs aren't good enough he can go suck a duck, future neighbor or not.  :-DD

Not that I'm not a little jelly of your shiny new Mitis. ;)

Just be careful of your source; buy only from an accredited reseller. There's a LOT of bogus Mitutoyo out there; with few exceptions, if they're selling on fleaBay, it's probably counterfeit.

mnem
*Currently sick as a dog from food poisoning*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:55:30 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24741 on: February 08, 2019, 04:55:04 am »
Oh, so you don't have a lathe.  :P
Not that I am aware of.  :-// :-DD
Ok then, lets put it another way, do you have a poor mans lathe....its called a drill  :-DD
Yes as a matter as fact.....2 of them.  :-+

I HAVE owned 4 different lathes. They usually go down the road for moving funds.

Drills? Counting drill press, corded/cordless, in a pipe jig and 2 or 3 Dremels... somewhere around a dozen. I've been cleaning house; got rid of 6 or 7 last spring.

mnem
*Succumbing to exhaustion*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24742 on: February 08, 2019, 04:56:29 am »
*Currently sick as a dog from food poisoning*
I'm sure I have the remedy for that....some left over cattle drench from my farming days.  :-DD

OR I can offer the wifes remedy for when anyone is sick around here......she starts polishing a bullet !  :scared:
Enough to make you well in a real hurry.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Inverted18650, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24743 on: February 08, 2019, 05:43:30 am »
We all need good measuring sticks metalwork stuff because some projects are more mechanical than electrical  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #24744 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:51 am »

To qualify, I think it needs to be accompanied by a teardown and then a hack of some sort. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24745 on: February 08, 2019, 06:19:57 am »
Oh, so you don't have a lathe.  :P

Not that I am aware of.  :-// :-DD
Ok then, lets put it another way, do you have a poor mans lathe....its called a drill  :-DD

Indeed. 8)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24746 on: February 08, 2019, 06:24:16 am »
Hey I have a couple of of the really cheap digital calipers, one day I might treat myself to something better. That said the cheap ones are not too bad as long as the battery is OK but I have noticed that if I use them too close to my desk magnifier lamp when it is switched on, all bets are out of the window as far reliable readings are concerned, it totally screws them up  :scared:

My el cheapo digital calipers seem to love batteries. When you turn it off, it runs the battery dead in short order. Boneheaded engineering at its finest (or they have a vested interest in a battery manufacturer :-DD).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24747 on: February 08, 2019, 06:38:00 am »
Watch AvE's video above 4:1 or there abouts current draw compared to the real deal and the same current even when 'off'   :palm:

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24748 on: February 08, 2019, 06:38:44 am »
Discovered that my Icom IC7000 that I bought when I got my ham license (relatively cheap fortunately) won't tx now that I have a power supply that will feed it. Some kind of protection circuitry is tripping inside.  |O Maybe the radioshack UHF/VHF antenna I have is crap?

Please let me know, if the 600k was the issue, I have one here that may need some work (haven't powered it up yet to see though).

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24749 on: February 08, 2019, 06:44:55 am »

To qualify, I think it needs to be accompanied by a teardown and then a hack of some sort. :-DD

Agreed, maybe replace the tiny battery cell with an 18650 and put a sticker on it saying "lasts for years now". Or mod in a new display with at least 7.5 digits..lol

Its way nicer than my Harbour Freight cheapy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:46:52 am by Inverted18650 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf